Under the Stars

Little Steps

Jiyong cringed as Myungsoo grabbed his wrist. He was strong, no doubt, but Jiyong held a straight face, then grinned evilly. "Look who's here, Myungsoo and his little crew", he nodded towards the other six boys close behind Myungsoo. 

"Leave Suhyoon alone," Myungsoo mumbled. 

"What did you say, pretty boy? I can't hear you over this little baby's whining." Jiyong used his free hand to shove Suhyoon again.

Suddenly, a punch flew threw the air. Jiyong fell just as Myungsoo's fist slammed into his face. Myungsoo grabbed Suhyoon, walked away from the fight.

 

 

They were outside now, sitting on the steps together. Suhyoon had curled up against the railing of the stairs, and was shaking. 

Myungsoo sighed in distress, and scooted closer to her, almost hugging her. "Uh, it's okay. It's over now," he said, trying to comfort her. 

Suhyoon looked at his fist that had hit Jiyong in the face. It had a huge gash on it. "Oh my gosh, you got hurt. Let me see that."

".... You feel better by seeing me hurt? Oh, I see how it is." Myungsoo smirked. 

Suhyoon took off her bookbag, and pulled out the little first aid kid she always had with her. She applied ointment on a cotton swab, and started dabbing at the cut.

"Ow, that stings!" complained Myungsoo.

"Hold still, it'll go away soon.... There, all done!" She put a pink Hello Kitty bandaid over the cut. 

"Don't you have any normal bandaids?" asked Myungsoo. "This one's too.... ugly."

"Be thankful for what you have. Anyways, Hello Kitty suits you better." 

 

 

Class had started. Myungsoo and Suhyoon were still not in class. They noticed how late they were, and rushed back into the classrooms. 

 

 

School had ended. Suhyoon went to her locker to drop off her books, and turned around to find all seven guys waiting for her. 

"We have decided to be your bodyguards!" yelled Sungjong.

Suhyoon looked at Myungsoo.

"It wasn't my idea," Myungsoo responded. 

All the boys looked at Myungsoo funny.

So they all went to Suhyoon's house. Of course, the other six boys went home afterwards. 

 

"So, who's idea was it anyways?" Suhyoon asked.

"Um............ Not mine, of course..." 

"You at lying. It was you, right?"

"No! Leave me alone, I have to study.." and Myungsoo went stalking into his room. 

"Since when do you study," said Suhyoon, under her breath.

 

 

That night, they had dinner, but went straight to their rooms afterwards. Suhyoon's dad hadn't suspected anything, and didn't know about what happened at school. He was tired, and wanted to sleep early, which he did.

 

It was around midnight, and Suhyoon couldn't sleep. She went outside, and climbed to the roof. Myungsoo saw, and climbed after her.

"Oh my gosh, you scared me!" 

"Shut up and scoot over," Myungsoo said. 

They looked at the stars. 

"You know, you don't have to be so mean," Suhyoon said, breaking the silence.

"I know."

"Then, be nice..?"

"It's harder than you think."

"No it's not, you just have to lose that bad attitude of yours, and try to hel-"

"It's probably easier for you because you probably have a mom!" Myungsoo had cut off Suhyoon while she was talking.

She turned her head. "What did you say? Tell me, have you seen my mom around? Have you seen her cook food? Have you seen her do the household chores? NO, because she's dead!" 

Myungsoo thought for a moment. What he heard was true. "I'm sorry, Suhyoon, I didn't know, I-"

"Shut up, don't talk to me, I'm leaving." Suhyoon was about to get off the roof when Myungsoo grabbed her. 

"No, sit back down, I need to tell you something, too."

He explained how his mom had left him when he was a baby. "I don't know how to be nice, or to help people, or to even love! I never knew a mother's love, either. Hell, my father was too busy to play with me too! At least you have a dad who loves you."

"That's not true. Your dad loves you no matter what."

"Then why did he leave me, like my mom did?" Myungsoo turned to look at Suhyoon in the eyes. 

"I, I... I don't know.." Suhyoon turned to see him, too.

And for the first time, Myungsoo noticed the warmth and beauty of Suhyoon. Something started growing in his chest, he didn't know what. But he knew it was something for Suhyoon. 

Suddenly, it hit him. He liked her. Not just liked, but truely, 100% liked her. From the beginning, and until the end. He didn't know what love was before, but he knew that night, at that moment. 

 

Myungsoo leaned over, and kissed her, straight on the lips, under the stars. 

 

Myungsoo pulled away, and said, "It was me. It was my plan. I want to protect you forever."