Unfit Keys

Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The short semester break has over in an instant. All of them were going back to their university with tons of assignments, projects, reports and upcoming final exams. The ought to live a healthy lifestyle is so Kim Jongkook. He is on a weight loss mission; his goal is to dump about 90 lbs as he assumed that he tried to get healthy enough to see his grandchildren graduate school – and maybe college – 18 to 20 years from now. Over the past years, Jongkook have shed a bit over 60 of those pounds by sticking to a great diet, walking 2 to 3 miles a day and hitting the gym every other day. 

 

             His impact gym routine created by his own begins with 40 minutes on treadmill, set in the ‘random’ mode for a variety of hills at a good walking speed. This usually works out to about 2 miles per hour. After that, Jongkook will do 30 minutes of upper and lower-body exercises, which include free weights and resistance bands.

 

             He’s been on the treadmill for 2 rounds and decided to stop to do the upper and lower-body exercises. As soon as he pressed the ‘stop’ button, someone’s approached him from the back that leaves him in surprised. He turned and smiling broadly as soon as he saw the person. 

 

             “Oppa.”, Jihyo chuckled. She was wearing her sport wear; black sport bra and dark blue short legging that made Jongkook shocked of his girlfriend appearances. Yes, it is because it’s his first time to see his girlfriend with sport wear!

 

             “Eo, Jihyo-ya. What are you doing here?”, Jongkook asked still in shocked. 

 

             “We are at the gym. What do you expect me to do here? Eating?”, Jihyo joked. As much as she loves to eat, she is probably not going to eat in the gym, right? Perhaps, to see her boyfriend working out? Or spying her boyfriend? Or probably just working out? Someone must has knocked some sense into her!

 

             “Work-out? You?”, Jongkook asked in disbelief. It’s for his surprised that his girlfriend suddenly wanted to work-out. He knows, 8 years of their friendship, he always persuaded Jihyo to go the gym with him to work-out but he never succeed. So, this is totally a surprise to him. 

 

             “Ya! Can’t I? You always asked me to work-out with you. Now I came by myself to the gym, you acted like you are surprised? Mwoya?”, Jihyo started to feel offended. Yes, she may be not like to work-out but maybe having a muscle-boyfriend knocked some sense on her. 

 

             Jongkook chuckled as he saw Jihyo started to feel upset. “Ani, ani. You can. It just, so suddenly?”, Jongkook said while raising his left eyebrow. 

 

             “Coach me, Gym Jongkook.”.

 

             “Gym Jongkook?”, Jongkook giggle as he found that his new nickname from Jihyo is funny. Jihyo grabbed his hand and went to the lat pulldown machine. 

 

             “I want to try this.”, Jihyo said while pointing the lat pulldown machine. “I want to have a strong back and upper body, oppa.”.

 

             Jongkook chuckled because he can’t believe Jihyo’s word. “Are you sure, babe?”.

 

             ‘Babe?’, Jihyo was too stunned to hear the so-called new nickname from Jongkook. She decided to ignore it for the time being because her goal was to work-out, not date. “Why do you keep laughing? You know I’m not an ordinary girl, right? If you don’t want to help me I will ask for Changmo or Somin’s brother to coach me.”, Jihyo said in anger as she crossed her arms and rolling her eyes. 

 

             She was too y even though she was upset. Is it because of the exposing abs of her while wearing the sport bra? The thoughts that keep flying in Jongkook’s mind that he almost forgot that Jihyo is mad at him. “Arasseo arasseo, mian. I will coach you this. You have to stretching first before you work-out so that you can decrease any risk of injuries. Let me help you.”, Jongkook assisted. 

 

             After about 5 minutes of stretching, Jongkook are ready to coach Jihyo. “Are you sure you want to try this lat pulldown machine? You don’t want to try others?”, Jongkook asked for sure. 

 

             “Eo, oppa. I watched it on Youtube. It looks fun and cool.”, Jihyo said passionately. 

 

             “This is not for fun, Jihyo.”, Jongkook emphasized. “By the way, you watched Youtube? This is so new! What’s wrong with you? Suddenly went out from your cave, huh?”.

 

             “Can you just support me, oppa? You are not fun, either.”, Jihyo said in anger. She sure just wanted to try the lat pulldown machine, what’s so wrong with that? Yes, she also realized that she did went out from her cave? A cavewoman girl went out from a cave, it’s not wrong with that it’s just a surprised even for her too. But she also noticed that she also didn’t actually went out from her cave completely. 

 

             “Arasseo. Anything for you, babe.”, Jongkook said while helping Jihyo in her positions. 

 

Jihyo planted herself on the seat and reached up to grab the bar above her – only to discovered that she had no idea how to do a lat pulldown properly. After hanging there for a couple of seconds, she realized that the weight setting was far too high and the seat was positioned too low. Jongkook helped her to adjust the settings as she sheepishly looked around and wondered if anyone else had noticed her awkward first encounter with the machine. “Don’t worry about anyone else. That doesn’t matter.”, Jongkook whispered as he saw Jihyo’s flustered.

 

“This exercise targets the largest muscle in the back, the Latissimus dorsi. It also works the other muscles in the back, such as the delts, traps, and rear delts. This movement allows you to train multiple muscles at the same time, which helps improve overall strength.”, Jongkook explained to Jihyo to her full understanding even though she’s not asking. “It looks intimidating right, Jihyo? But it’s actually fairly simple to use. It provides targeted back and shoulder conditioning, which is key if you’re trying to improve your upper body strength.”, Jongkook continued while gently holding Jihyo’s shoulder from the back. Jihyo just sat back on the lat pulldown machine as Jongkook instructed. Jongkook noticed Jihyo was extremely awkward while sitting on the lat pulldown machine and fixed her thigh position. Jihyo was slightly shocked by her sudden touched on her thigh that she almost flinched but she kept reminding herself that she was there not for date, but for a work-out. And the day of working-out with her boyfriend went smoothly.

 

 

“Mwo? Gary hyung?!”, Kwangsoo screamed in shocked as soon as she heard the news from Jaesuk. “Where did you hear this news, hyung? And when? Why would Gary hyung suddenly quit the university without telling us?”.

 

             “Nado molla. I heard it from his classmates who is also an exco member of our faculty.”, Jaesuk beamed. 

 

             Kwangsoo scratched his non-itchy head and decided to call Gary. Unfortunately, after the third of unanswered phone call, Kwangsoo decided to give up. He almost called Gary for the fourth time but Jaesuk grabbed Kwangsoo’s hand to stop him, “We should give him some time and space, Kwangsoo-ya.”. Jaesuk tried to calm Kwangsoo who enraged and not in his right mind upon hearing the shocking news. 

 

             “Musseun time and space, hyung? He quit without telling us! Without saying a ing goodbye after our trip in Jeju?!”, Kwangsoo flared in anger. He almost threw his mobile phone on the ground as he still can’t believe what he had heard. Why would Gary quit the university and leave his friends? “Did our friends know?”.

 

             “Not yet.”, Jaesuk replied in short. The news also leaves him in shocked that he didn’t know how to react. He decided to think rationally; maybe Gary has a financial problem or other personal problems that he decides to keep in secret. But, why wouldn’t he can’t share with his friends? They thought they go through up and downs together for almost a decade of friendships; this brought Kwangsoo in dissatisfied and flamed in anger. “When should we tell them, Kwangsoo-ya?”, Jaesuk asked Kwangsoo’s opinion. He is the only one who can think rationally and made a good decision for his friends but to his surprised, he can’t even think properly in this situation. Gary’s sudden news really made him stunned. 

 

             “Should we ask them to meet at Saengsanja Bar tonight, hyung?”, Kwangsoo asked, giving his opinion to talk this matter to their friends. 

 

             “Eo.”, Jaesuk answered. 

 

 

“Yaaaa, it’s only our first day of school. Why would you asked us to meet here, Kwangsoo-ya? You don’t realize that we are final year students who are busy with tons of assignments, projects, reports and upcoming final exams?”, Haha sighed.

 

             “Maja. I was preparing for my presentation tomorrow and Kwangsoo oppa called me to meet here. Lucky that I made it early.”, Somin continued. They probably didn’t have any idea of the sudden gathering that all of them keep sighing and complaining. 

 

             “What’s the occasion?”, Jongkook asked at the stunned Kwangsoo and Jaesuk. 

 

             “Something’s bad happen?”, Sukjin asked. 

 

             “Gary oppa still not here?”, Jihyo asked while looking around their friends. 

 

             “That’s the problem, noona.”, Kwangsoo answered. He and Jaesuk don’t know where to start to explain to their friends about the sudden of Gary’s news. 

 

             “Did any of you contacted with Gary?”, Jaesuk asked his friends. All of them shook their heads as a gesture of ‘no’. “And did all of you have ever met Gary today or after our Jeju trip?”, Jaesuk asked again and the gestures of their friends are still the same. They shook their heads as a ‘no’. 

 

             “Promise me you guys won’t get too shock after hearing this news”, Kwangsoo said while showing his pinky finger to his friends. 

 

             “Hyung, can you just say it now? I almost die in a curiosity. What’s all this matter about Gary hyung that you and Jaesuk hyung kept asking us?”, Sechan frustrated. He is done with the quizzes by Kwangsoo and Jaesuk.

 

             “… Gary…. he is.. quitting…”, Jaesuk stuttered. He feel bad to tell his friends but it’s also doesn’t feel right to keep it a secret. 

 

             “Quit what?”, Dongwook asked as he didn’t fully understand Jaesuk. 

 

             “The university.”, Jaesuk said while lowering his gaze.

 

             “He quit his studies.”, Kwangsoo continued in sorrow.

 

             “What? Gabjagi? Wae?!”, Haha asked in shocked. He stood up and knocked the table with his palm while his mouth and eyes opened widely. 

 

             “Why didn’t he tell us anything?”, Sechan asked in panicked. Though he, Dongwook and Somin doesn’t get to know Gary well like the others, but they also feel the slightly feeling of losing a friend. They also did spend their time with Gary at the university, though for almost 3 years only.

 

             “That’s what I’m talking about. He doesn’t tell us anything!”, Kwangsoo continued to get mad. Who doesn’t get mad of hearing a sudden news of their friend who suddenly leaving them without saying anything? No one can bear that. 

 

             “Don’t you think Gary has some sorts of problem that he didn’t get to tell us or keep it a secret?”, Jaesuk asked rationally. This is what he is good for. He always thinks some problems have reasons. He always thinks positive to avoid some bad things happen, though it’s also not good to have such a positive mind always. 

 

             “Secret? Didn’t we promised to each other not to have secret?”, Kwangsoo still dissatisfied. 

 

             “Some things are meant to keep it secret, Kwangsoo. Not all things we get to share with.”, suddenly the oldest hyung stated his opinion and put some good words. Kwangsoo lower his head. It’s not that he is mad or offended by Sukjin’s word, it’s that he is still can’t believe what Gary did to them. 

 

             “I’ll try to call him.”, Jongkook abruptly took his phone from his pocket and tried to call Gary. 

 

             “It’s no use, hyung. I already did numerous times this afternoon.”, Kwangsoo said.

 

             Jongkook ignored Kwangsoo. He tried to call Gary for about 6 times already though the telephone operator answered, “the number you have dialed is not in the services…”. Jihyo looked at Jongkook who sat next to her and grabbed his hand to stop Jongkook. 

 

             “Oppa..”, Jihyo tried to convince the frustrated Jongkook. She knows how many times Jongkook called Gary, he will probably won’t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter