Burning Edges & Stars

Soulmate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Piles of kimchi, blocks of tofu, white-as-snow groups of enoki mushroom, slices of shiitake mushrooms, few sprigs of chives, chunks of skinless pork belly, thinly sliced of brown and green onion and bowls of rice wine, black pepper, chili flakes, soy sauce, gochujang, minced garlic filled Jihyo’s table kitchen as she is cooking kimchi jiggae for her family dinner. Jihyo’s parents are still out to the supermarket to buy some groceries so she decided to prepare some dinner for them, while Seongmoon is still at the gym and Seokyung is hanging out with her friends. It was weekend and it’s only 3 days since Jihyo’s left her dorm. As Jihyo is a cavewoman as she always too and a homebody herself, she devoted on doing a lot of housechore to help her parents. Sometimes she wondered, should she go to date with her Jongkook’s oppa instead? But also lot of thoughts keep playing in her mind. What if Jongkook will get sick of her if she get to meet each other every day? And what if Jongkook is busy? What if Jongkook wants to spend her time with her family? What if Jongkook rather go to the gym instead of going to date with her? She suffered from the overthinking since she and Jongkook together but none of the thoughts are true since Jongkook always putting a broad smile whenever they met.

 

             Despite on overthinking and having some will-not-happen thoughts, Jihyo started to continue her cooking after preparing the ingredients. Her hands gently moving the pork belly into the bowl and started to marinate it with a tablespoon of rice wine for 15 minutes. After that, she cooked the kimchi in a skillet until it is soft in a pot and putting the marinated meat into the bottom of the pot. All the ingredients that Jihyo’s prepared before were added in the pot such as kimchi, onion, mushrooms, tofu, water and the base sauce except for the green onion. She boiled the pot on medium high heat initially then reduced the heat to medium once it starts boiling. She cooked further until the meat is cooked. Jihyo make sure that the sauce is well blended into the rest of the ingredients by gently mixing the sauce around the soup with a small teaspoon and splashing the soup over other ingredients every seconds. When the meat is cooked, she added the green onions and turn the heat off. 

 

             The kimchi jiggae made by Jihyo was beautifully cooked by her own and she put it on the table before her parents came back from groceries shopping. She also served the kimchi jiggae with the rice and other side dishes on the table. She smiled while looking at her own cooked dishes and decided to take pictures and send it to Jongkook. She then covered the foods on the table with a modern style iron net food cover.

 

Jihyo: (send picture). Oppa, I made some kimchi jiggae. Kkkkk 

 

Jongkook: Wow. It’s look delicious. Are you really cooking these?

 

Jihyo: Of course >:(

 

Jongkook: Arasseo kkk. So, what is the purpose of you sending me this pic? You want me to come?

 

Jihyo: Aaaa…. Aniya. I cooked for my family. I just send the pic to you because I’m proud I can cooked kimchi jiggae.

 

Jongkook: Mwoya? I thought it’s for me? :(

 

Jihyo: Mian, I will cook for you next time oppa <3

 

Jongkook: Kkkkk, I’m just kidding. Anyway, I’m proud of you. Are you ready to be my wife then? Kkkkk

 

Jihyo: Are you seriously proposing to me now?

 

Jongkook: You want me to? Kkkkk.

 

Jihyo: Mwoya? I don’t want to get married so early. We’re not graduated yet!

 

Jongkook: I will give you time. Kkkkkk. I will always wait for you to ready <3

 

Jihyo: Mwoya kkkk. Arasseo <3

 

Jongkook: Will call you later. Eat well. Saranghae <3

 

Jihyo: Nado <3

 

Jongkook’s message leave a shy smile on Jihyo’s lips. Jongkook suddenly proposing to her made her cheek as red as strawberry and the thoughts of marrying him made her fluttered. She soon slapped her own cheek gently as she reminds herself that she need to chase for her dreams first. Not long after that, her phone rang broke her thoughts for a while. It was Jeon Somin.

 

“Yeoboseyo, unnie?”.

 

“Yeoboseyo, Somin-a. Wae?”. 

 

“Unnie, mwohae? Are you doing well? Miss me?”.

 

“Hahaha mwoya. I’m fine. You already miss me? It’s only been 3 days, Somin-a.”.

 

“I’m lonely without you here.”. 

 

“Kang Hanna isseoji?”.

 

“Isseo. But I miss you more.”.

 

“Aigoo, uri dongsaeng. Spend your time with Sechan too. Don’t leave him out. By the way Somin-a, Sechan is a good man.”.

 

“Aaaaa unnie! It’s nothing like that.”.

 

“I know you like him.”.

 

“Aniya, unnie. How about you? You still don’t like Jongkook oppa? I also know that oppa likes you.”.

 

Somin’s questioned made Jihyo realized that both Jongkook and her didn’t even tell a single soul about their relationship. It’s been 2 months they are secretly dating and not even one of her friends know due to the fact of afraid being teased and judged. Well, Haha did said once that they are family, it’s disgusting to date any of family members despite knowing the fact that they are family not related by blood.

 

“Unnie? Are you still there?”. Somin asked as Jihyo keeping her silenced.

 

“Eo, Somin-a. What did you say?”, Jihyo startled.

 

“Nothing. Talking about Sechan, it’s his birthday next week.”.

 

“Eo, jinjja?”.

 

“Eo, unnie. So, why won’t we celebrate with others?”.

 

“Sounds fun.”.

 

 

“I’m glad you live alone, hyung.”, Haha said to Sukjin due to celebrate Sechan’s birthday at his house.

 

             “I can’t believe you guys are here. It’s probably a mess after the party.”, Sukjin sulked. “I don’t want to clean the mess alone.”.

 

             “Aigoo hyung. Why would you sulk on Sechan’s birthday?”, Dongwook asked trying to calm Sukjin. Sukjin as always, who likes attention started to form a smile on his face. 

 

             “He really likes attention.”, Jongkook giggled.

 

             “Anyway, Happy 21st birthday Yang Sechan!”.

 

             “Live your life to the fullest!”.

 

             “Start to look for a girlfriend. Stop being single!”.

 

             “YOLO!”.

 

             “Somin can be your girlfriend, Sechan-a!”.

 

             “Eyyyy, oppa.”.

 

             The chaos at Sukjin’s house with Sechan’s birthday celebration made them happy and forget about their own problems, and perhaps…Gary. In the living room of Sukjin’s house is decorated by orange balloons, orange ‘Happy Birthday’ letters bunting banner hanging with light orange backdrop as background and orange hats party. The decorations are surrounded by orange colors as Sechan’s favorite color. 

 

             Western foods are served as they brought their own foods as potluck for Sechan’s birthday party. Jaesuk brought a big container of spaghetti bolognese, Jongkook brought chunks of beef steaks, Haha brought mashed potatoes with gravy mushroom soup and garlic breads, Jihyo brought chicken lasagna and spicy meatballs in aluminium container, Dongwook brought boxes of pepperoni chicken pizza, Kwangsoo brought some fruits and egg tarts while Somin in-charged with Sechan’s birthday cake. The birthday cake was chocolate orange flavored with orange fresh cream decorating the side of the rectangular cake and a small doll figured looks like Sechan. 

 

             “What did you bring, hyung? You didn’t bring anything?”, Kwangsoo asked Sukjin because he aware that Sukjin didn’t put anything on the table.

 

             “Ya! I brought a home and you guys are using my living room right now.”, Sukjin said as an excuse.

 

             “Mwoya, hyung?”, Jaesuk teased. 

 

             “By the way, what did you guys do during this holiday before the graduation in 3 months? Except for Somin and Sechan.”, Jongkook asked to his friends to start some proper conversations instead of teasing their oldest hyung. 

 

             “Don’t ask me. I’m always helping my parents at the restaurant.”, Dongwook answered while putting a big chunk of beef steak in his mouth. 

 

             “Part-time at 7 Eleven not far from my house.”, Haha answered.

 

             “Volunteering for the community services at the orphan house”, Jaesuk answered shyly.

 

             “Hokshi, uri Jaesuk hyung.”, Sechan praised for the not-shocking-news from Jaesuk who likes to help people. 

 

             “I think I will follow Jaesuk.”, Sukjin said. “I don’t know what to do.”.

 

             “Stop following Jaesuk hyung, hyungggg.”, Kwangsoo whined. “Why you always following Jaesuk hyung? I can’t understand. You should better married Jaesuk hyung like what your girlfriend said.”. Kwangsoo complained received a great smacked on his head from Sukjin. “Aaaa!”.

 

             “Kwangsoo oppa neun?”, Somin asked Kwangsoo well-being.

 

             “Na? I’m looking for some auditions.”, Kwangsoo answered while smiling foolishly. 

 

             “What audition? Comedy? I know you are suited enough to be a comedian, Kwangsoo-ya.”, Jaesuk praised Kwangsoo while tapping his shoulder. “I’m proud of you.”.

 

             “Eyyy, it’s nothing like that hyung! I’m going to an acting audition. I hope I can achieve my dreams.”, Kwangsoo explained.

 

             “You, Jihyo?”, Jongkook turned to ask at the quiet Jihyo who only busy eating like she is uninterested with their topics.

 

             “Sleeping.”, Jihyo answered while sipping her soju. Upon hearing her answer, every one shook their heads as they are expecting Jihyo’s answer. 

 

             “Noona! You don’t have anything useful to do? You said you wanted to be an actress. What sleeping can do for your acting?!”, Kwangsoo enraged. 

 

             “Ya! What do you know about me? I’m waiting to graduate so that I can starts to look for a job as an actress. I’m pretty and beautiful so there’s no way they can’t cast me. I can even walk on the street alone and they can cast me on-the-spot.”, Jihyo bragged. It’s a truth fact that she is amusingly beautiful and pretty that people on the street might be looking at her twice or perhaps, thrice? Jihyo’s answer leave her friends silenced that they can’t even denied what Jihyo’s said. “You, oppa?”.

 

             “I’m just maybe… at the gym? Ani, I’m writing a song.”, Jongkook answered shyly while scratching his non-itchy head.

 

             “What song, oppa?”, Somin asked in excitement. The fact that Jongkook, the muscle man wanted to write a song. Just what song?!

 

        “Emmm…ballad?”, Jongkook smile. 

 

        “Hahahahaha!!!! Jinjjaya hyung? A muscle man tried to write a ballad song?!!!!”, Kwangsoo burst into laughter. The thoughts of Jongkook, the big muscle man wanted to write a ballad song and sing a ballad song, he found it totally hilarious.

 

             “Ya, neo wae geurae? What’s so funny that Jongkook hyung writing and singing to ballad song?”, Haha asked to the unbelievable Kwangsoo with his unbelievable and exaggerating laughed. 

 

             Kwangsoo stop laughing as all eyes were on him. His friends’ face screaming like there’s nothing funny and weird at all. “It’s not funny?”, Kwangsoo asked while looking at Jongkook serious expression. “Mianhaeyo, hyung.”, Kwangsoo apologized. 

 

             “Don’t you believe that we almost graduated?”, Sukjin suddenly changed their topic to something that can make them feel happy and excited. 

 

             “Nado.”, Jihyo answered while squirming. 

 

             “What’s your guys plan for the future?”, Jaesuk asked his friends’ plan.

 

             “Married!”, Kwangsoo answered in excitement while throwing a punch in the air. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter