That Girl

Science Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]03[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]That Girl[/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

"Who are you?!"

"Excuse me?! I must be the one asking that... who are you?" The girl was crossing her arms with a frown. She was shorter than her, with long black hair, cute bangs and idol-like beauty.

"Umm... I'm... I'm Kang Sora." The older one replied nervously. Who was she? Baekhyun's little sister? Why was she looking at her like that? That strange girl was making Sora feel uncomfortable. 

"And... what are you doing here?" She asked, looking down at the broken eggs in front of Sora's feet.

"Emma." 

Hearing Baekhyun's voice, the girl turned to him. "Dad..." She walked to the professor. 

Kang Sora froze. Dad? That meant... Baekhyun was her father? And she was his daughter? Like biological father and daughter?! So where was his wife? Was he divorced? Then why no one knew? Even informations on the internet hadn't mentioned it! Maybe he has adopted her? Sora kept gazing at them as she knelt down to clean the mess she had made.

Baekhyun took his daughter's hand and led her to his room, upstairs. He closed the door slowly. "Emma, look sweetheart..."

"Who is she?!" Emma pouted. 

"She's-"

"You were dating someone and you didn't tell me?! Oh... I can't believe!" She looked up at him. "Am I a stranger to you? I'm your daughter for God's sake! We promised not to hide anything!"

"Stop! She's my student!"

"Oh my dear God," She covered , eyes wide open. "You are dating your student?! This is risky, dad. Please stop it right now. I don't want you to lose your job! And wait! What about her age? You don't expect me to call her mother or something like that, right?"

Baekhyun took her arms in his hands and shook her body. "I am not dating anyone. I am single." He said each and every word clearly in English. "I don't have any girl in this world, except you. It will always be me and you. Got it, Emma?" He looked directly into her eyes.

The girl smiled and hugged him out of blue. "I love you daddy..."

He run his fingers through her hair and kissed her crown. "I love you too... I love you so much, my angel."

Emma pulled away and tilted her head. "Ok then... what is your student doing here, in our house?"

Baekhyun leaned down towards her and raised his eyebrows. "Have you washed your face?"

"Dad! I'm not a kid!" The girl pouted again as she combed her father's hair by her fingers. "Answer my question."

"She doesn't have a place to stay. Her stepfather's thrown her out." He explained. 

"Is here university's dormitory? She can go there... we are not an organization for helping poor people." Emma crossed her arms. She was angry because she'd never wanted a new person in their house. Sometimes, Baekhyun insisted that they needed a housekeeper; but his daughter kept disagreeing. She did all the household chores by herself, just to avoid letting someone in. 

"Uni's dorm is closed. Besides, she's not poor honey. Though she needs help. Sora has lost her mother yesterday!" Baekhyun added the last sentence in the very last second to persuade her. 

Emma looked at him blankly. "So what? I've never seen my mother." She went back to the kitchen. 

The father sighed and sat on his bed. That sentence was not right to be told, Emma didn't like it when someone talked about her or his mother. He was deep in thoughts for a couple of minutes when the smell of bacon and eggs took his attention, so he walked out of the room and went downstairs. "Kang Sora, you cooked?"

"Y-Yeah... professor. I'm sorry for going through your refrigerator without permission. I was hungry and I-"

"It's ok, it's ok." He cut her sentence as he sat on his chair. He turned to Sora and stared at her, who was putting the meals in the plates. "You haven't brought your things?"

She shook her head and sat down in front of Emma. "I just ran. It is such a relief to know Ari has run after me."

The younger girl's eyes widened. "Who is Ari?" Suddenly, Ari ran to their table and started barking at his owner. "Ahhhh! You have a dog?!" Emma screamed.

"Yeah..." Sora whispered as she picked him up. "You don't like dogs? They are lovely."

"Right..." Baekhyun laughed and glanced at his daughter. "Um, I mean... Emma is afraid of dogs since she was a kid." Sora looked at her and Emma did the same. "Oh... I haven't introduced you to each other. Emma, she's my student. Kang Sora. And she's my daughter, Emma Byun. You can call her Suhyun too."

Sora smiled at her, but the girl preferred to focus on her breakfast. "Which one do you prefer?"

"Emma." Without looking at her, she simply replied.

The elder girl nodded. "How old are you, Emma?"

"Twelve... two weeks are left to my birthday, then I'll be thirteen." She said, staring at her plate. "Why did you run away Sora?"

"Emma!" Baekhyun called with a frown, making them turn to him. "You don't call a person older than you like that."

"Sora-ssi... why did you run away?" She repeated her question. 

Sora let go of the chopsticks in her hand. "I... my mother passed away yesterday. Last night, my stepfather came home and said that now the house is his. He was about to kill me, so I ran out." 

"Kill you?!" Baekhyun shouted.

His scared face made Sora giggle. "Well... now I'm alive..."

"Hmm... how long do you know my father?" That question shocked Baekhyun. What was she doing? Why did she want to know... oh! He understood. She didn't believe him when he said Sora wasn't his girlfriend. 

"Um... around a month. But I've read lots of his articles in scientific journals."

"Seriously?" Baekhyun asked excitedly. "I didn't know students read them as well. I just did some researches and shared it with the world. I really appreciate the time you spent to r-." He was talking that Emma gave him a control-your-feelings look. "Read my articles." He completed his sentence and bit his lower lip. "Um... what are you going to do?"

"I've called my uncle. He's too busy with my mom's hospital and his personal issues..."

"Your uncle is from Seoul?" Emma asked. 

"We are not related actually, he's just a friend of my late father... and he is originally from Gangnam." Sora explained as she took a look at her phone.

"Your... father is dead?!" 

"Emma..." Baekhyun palmed his face.

"I mean... has he passed away?" She corrected. 

Sora sighed. "Yeah... in a car accident." Sora tried to hold back her tears. She stood up. "I got to go."

Baekhyun looked up at her. "Where?"

She shrugged. "I don't know... it's just not true to stay here."

"Right..." Emma mumbled. Sora eyed the mysterious daughter of her professor before walking back to the guest room to take her bag. 

"What's wrong with you?!" Baekhyun whispered. 

"Why should she stay here? I don't like her and her scary dog!" Emma said with a  frown. 

Not wanting to shout at her, he breathed deeply to keep calm. "Take your pills. I put them in the cupboard." The professor stood up and followed his student. "Sora-ssi!"

The girl was about to open the door that Baekhyun caught her arm. "Professor..." She looked at him.

"Where do you want to go? You said you don't have a place to stay!"

"I... will go to a hotel." She replied. "I have money. Don't worry..."

He sighed. "Hotel? 'Till when? Sora, you can stay here. It's ok, for real."

Emma walked closer to them. "Hotels are expensive... you can't stay there for long." She said, glancing at her father who seemed satisfied by her words.

"Why are you being nice to me? You barely know me!" Sora said.

"Don't you remember? Bookstore, you saved my life there..." The girls raised their eyebrows. "You gave me a mask."

"It wasn't something special, but..." His student and his daughter narrowed their eyes, looking at each other carefully. "You are that girl?!" Sora asked in disbelief.

"I am... and you are that lady who didn't help me. Nice to meet you again." Emma rolled her eyes. 

"Ok... now, will you stay?"

Sora thought. She didn't have much money to stay in a hotel, she didn't have a place to go. Baekhyun's house was safe and big and it had an extra room. So paying for that room would be like renting. "I... I have to pay for the room I use. If you agree, I'll stay."

"Accepted." Emma said before Baekhyun could open . "Huh dad?"

"Well... you just agreed." He answered immediately. "You have all of the things you need?"

"I don't have anything. I must go back home to take some of the stuffs I need."

Baekhyun nodded. "Ok. I'll drive you there."

"No, no! I really appreciate your kindness, but I will go on my own." She bowed her head.

"Isn't it dangerous?"

"I will go with my friend. He will take care of me." She smiled. "I will be back. Thank you. Bye."

"Bye..." Baekhyun looked at her as she ran out of the house. Suddenly an icy wind blew, touching his face. "It's cold... uh! Emma, bring your overcoat. Hurry!"

"Huh? Ok!" She ran to her room and came back with her pink overcoat in her hand. "Here."

The professor got it and ran after Sora

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter