They And Her

Science Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]05[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2]They And Her[/CONTENTID2]


[CONTENTID3]

Two hours after the argument, Baekhyun went to his daughter's room. He knocked. "Baby? May I come in?" She didn't answer. "Emma? Can you hear me?" He knocked again. "Emma, please honey. Let me come in. We can talk." After some minutes, she opened the door and stayed aside. Her father walked in and sat on her bed. "Come here." He touched the place next to himself. 

She sat next to him. "My beautiful girl, dad's sorry for shouting at you." He hugged her tightly, kissing her head countless times. "Dad is so so sorry. Will you forgive him?" 

"I'm sorry..." She broke into tears. "I should have treated her better... I didn't want to say those things to her... I'm just scared."

"Shh... I know, I know what you mean. Just don't cry..." Baekhyun pulled away. "Don't cry... let's sing a song together, will you feel better singing a song?"

"You sing." She sobbed before hugging him again. "Sing for me."

"Um..." He took a look at her bookshelf. "What shall I sing?"

"Anything you like." Emma whispered. "I want to hear your voice."

Baekhyun's thinking took long. He wasn't sure what to sing. Due to his thoughts in last two hours, he could only remember the songs that are not appropriated for his daughter. Suddenly, he remembered a song. "Feel the lights, shining in the dark tonight." He started humming, making her smile. "Remember what we forgot, I know it's a long shot..." He pause. "What was after this?"

Emma giggled. "But we're bringing it all back, we're bringing it all back." She continued. "Here I go, here I go. It's better now."

"Feel better now." He kissed her forehead. 

■□■

Sora was busy cutting cucumbers in the kitchen. Emma walked in and sat on a chair next to hers. The older girl acted as if she didn't see her because she was still upset. Sora was wondering the reason why Baekhyun told her that sentence the day before. She was deep in thoughts that she felt tiny lips against her cheek. Sora turned to the left and saw Emma.

"Sorry. I'm really sorry about what I told you yesterday." She tilted her head and looked at her cutely. "I didn't mean it when I said that they'll gossip about you. Your is too much to think of you in that way... will you forgive me?" Sora let go of the knife in her hand and blinked several times. What happened? Emma Byun kissed her? And was saying sorry? She was moody indeed.

"Well..." She gulped. "I forgave you the moment you apologized to me." She took her knife and started cutting cucumbers again. "Do you want some?"

She picked a slice of cucumber and ate it. "I've forgotten the smell of it."

"Why?" She asked.

"Dad doesn't like cucumber; if he walks in and sees this in the kitchen, he'll scream." 

Sora started laughing. "Seriously? That much?"

Emma nodded and took another slice. "He hates cucumbers. I haven't eaten it for almost a year or two." She giggled. "I feel if I didn't have my aunties, now I would ask you what this thing is called. Dad even hates to watch it in TV. If there is a drama or something that it shows cucumber, he changes channels immediately."

Sort chuckled. "Good thing I haven't bought a lot. He'd throw me out if he saw this in his house."

"You can say that." She kept silent. "Sora-ssi, would you teach me how to play the guitar?"

"You like to?"

"Yeah..."

Sora smiled, satisfied. "Ok then, if you teach me playing the piano in return."

"Deal." Emma leaned on her shoulder. "Sora-ssi?"

"Yes?"

"How was it like to have a mother?"

Sora sighed. She didn't know how to describe the feeling of having a mother. Her mom was her world, her everything; but she didn't want to make her sad. "It's... it was good. Like... you know that there's always someone to lean on. A person to help you, encourage you. Be there for you no matter what." She breathed deeply. "Totally, it's perfect."

"You miss her so much, don't you?"

Sora turned to her as Emma raised her head. "You... don't miss your mother?"

"I've never seen her." She looked down. "I even don't know how she looked like."

The med student raised her eyebrows. How was that possible? Couldn't Baekhyun just show her a photo? "What do you mean? You haven't seen her photos?"

She shook her head. "Dad says her photos were burned in a house fire."

"So sorry about that- ouch!." Sora cut her finger out of blue. 

"Oh God, are you ok?"

"I'm fine." She said while running to the toilet to wash her hand. "It will be all right. It's only a scratch." She kept thinking while giving her hand a rinse. That felt strange. Baekhyun's relationship with his late girlfriend was something more than a tragic story to her. 

■□■

Four days passed and Sora was making slow progress in getting closer to Emma. They talked more and sometimes cooked together, which made Sora feel more comfortable in that house. 

Sora was passing Emma's room that she heard her talking to someone. Emma was video calling. She peeked inside. "I know auntie Joohyun... but I can't understand anything!" She cried.

"Honey... your father's a biochemist! Ask him. I am sure he can explain everything for you." The woman named Joohyun said. Her English accent was so perfect that Sora couldn't believe the fact that she was Korean. "Where's he now? Give the phone to my brother..."

"He's teaching... in the class. I'll tell him to call you later."

"I know you won't." Her aunt chuckled. "I've raised you, Emma Byun."

"Ok... you know me so well." Emma giggled which made the medical student smile. "But dad is too busy, I don't want to add another duty. He's too tired to help me."

"Don't you have a friend to explain that subject for you?" Joohyun asked.

"I don't have any friends." She whispered. 

"It's ok honey. I'll talk to your dad. Don't worry... ok?" She nodded. "Take your pills on time."

"I know auntie..." She said. "Tell uncle, Karina, auntie Jennie and grandma that I miss them."

"I will. I love you Emma."

"I love you too, auntie." She blew her a kiss. "Have a nice night."

"Have a nice day." Just when she ended the call, Sora knocked. "Yes?"

"It's me..." Sora opened the door completely and walked in with a smile. "How's everything?" 

"Good." She answered shortly. 

"But I think there's something wrong... I didn't mean to, but I overheard your conversation with your relative."

Emma smiled. "She was my auntie, dad's older sister." She said in English. 

"She's your father's noona." Sora sat on her bed and took a deep breath. 

"That is..." She mumbled.

The older girl ran her fingers through Emma's hair. "Do you have a problem? If it's about your lessons, I can help."

Emma looked at the elder blankly, because she didn't know how to react. She wasn't even sure that she could help for real. She thought Sora would explain it just like her teacher, she didn't believe in her. "Can you?" Emma asked and got a nod from her. "I don't understand a part of science." Giving a chance to her wouldn't hurt, so she grabbed her book and started turning the pages hastily. "Here..."

Sora got the book from her and scanned it. "It's chemistry... about atoms. I'm sure you can learn it fast. It's easy..." She turned to her. "You know what an atom is, right?"

"The smallest part of an element that can exist."

"True... now that small part has also three parts. Proton, neutron and electron. Proton has a positive electrical charge while electron's with a negative electrical charge. Neutrons and protons are in nucleus and electrons move around it."

Emma tilted her head and looked at her, disappointed and confused. "My dad is a biochemist, but I can't understand the simplest thing in chemistry! I'm a fool!" She lay down on her bed. 

The blonde took her hands and made her sit up. "You are not a fool! You know what? That's me who's stupid." She smiled. "Do you know... the solar system?" Emma nodded. "That's it! It is like an atom!" Sora stood up and grabbed a paper and a pen. She started drawing. "The sun is the nucleus. So it is the center and it's made of protons and neutrons. Electrons are like planets. They go around the sun."

"Oh... orbits around it." She whispered in English. 

"Yes! Orbit! Electron orbit!" Sora clapped. "Now... the number of protons and electrons are equal, in an atom."

"So an atom doesn't have electrical charge totally." The girl giggled. "I think I'm not that fool."

Baekhyun was busy teaching, but their laughters kept distracting him. They were talking for almost thirty minutes! "I'll... be back." He turned off the microphone and walked out of his room. "What are you doing, Emma?" He whispered angrily. The professor didn't want anyone to know about his secret, but her laughter would only make people suspicious. He looked inside the room silently.

"Oh God! You mean that's all?!"

"Yes... for now, that's all. You'll learn more in the future." Baekhyun's eyes widened. What were they talking about? 

"I think I'm liking chemistry... thank you, Sora-ssi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter