Difficult Choice

Science Of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]20[/CONTENTID1]
[CONTENTID2] Difficult Choice [/CONTENTID2]

[CONTENTID3]

Baekhyun and Sora were walking side by side. It had been thirty minutes that they had walked out of the house and since then, they didn't talk a word. Every two or three minutes, Sora took a glance at her boyfriend. He wasn't that talkative man anymore and that hurt her heart so bad. She bit her lip behind the mask and sighed. All a girl in her age wanted was a normal romantic relationship with a boy in her age, maybe some years older. Though there she was, dating her professor who was fourteen years older than her. Even if she didn't count that, their relationship was anything but normal. Baekhyun was a single father, his daughter was HIV positive, he had a strange past and many secrets which he couldn't reveal. His so-called dead ex-girlfriend was alive and a lot more that she couldn't remember. 

"Kitty?"

"Huh? Yes?" She looked at him with shining eyes. "Tell me."

"What do you like about me?" He asked a question which surprised her. "I mean... why should you fall for me? What do you see in me?"

Sora stopped. She thought for some moments while staring at a tree behind him. It seemed like she had never thought about it. "I just..." The blonde began. "I just love you... this emotion is nothing sensible. You suddenly understand that you love someone very much. Why are you searching for a reason?"

"There must be a reason for anything. Isn't it?" He asked.

"Is this because you are a professor? All you want is reasons. Do you see love as a science too?" He just looked at her. "I didn't have any control over it... how can I explain? It is falling in love. No force, no choice... you suddenly fall."

"Right..." Baekhyun lowered his head. 

"Do you have a reason, Biochemist Byun?" She asked, tilting her head to have a better view of him. 

"I'm not sure..." He shrugged. "I fell in love with you, because you felt different. All these thirteen years, I've locked my heart. I didn't look at women. I didn't want them to make my heart tremble. It's hard for a lonely man to do so, you know?" He started walking again. "But I was afraid..."

"Afraid of love?" She followed him. 

"Love isn't scary, babe. Emotions can't be scary, but people can. I was afraid to fall for the wrong person, again. After Chorong, my emotions became breakable. I turned into a coward man. I'm too messed up," He chuckled. "Mostly women are like this, but I... I am a heartbroken boy whose girlfriend left him alone with an infant at the age of twenty one. There are still scars in my heart that haven't healed..." The professor pressed his lips together, trying to blink back his tears. "I saw Emma growing up without her mother. For a girl her mother is her first and best friend. It hurt me watching my daughter alone." He wiped his eyes. "I cry easily, because on the inside I'm still that young twenty one year-old Baekhyun." He sobbed.

"Oh my dear..." Sora hugged him out of blue. "Don't worry, Baek... you'll be ok. We'll be ok."

He tightened his arms around her body. "I'm getting better now... because you came to my life."

"So don't cry anymore... it hurts to see tears in the eyes of the man I love." She said in his ear and he nodded slowly. "I love you, Byun Baekhyun. You don't need to be afraid. I'll never leave you. Ok?"

"You promise?" He held his pinkie in front of her after pulling away.

She put her little finger around his and pressed her thumb to his. "Of course. I promise you, babe."

"Fine." Baekhyun gulped. "I love you..." He dropped his eyes and gazed at their shoes. Their feet were fixed in front of other another, but Sora's were so tiny and small that it made him smile. Even her feet were cute.

"Baekhyun, look at me." He raised his head when he heard her angelic voice. "What is Emma's favorite food?"

"Huh? Um... beefsteak. Why do you ask?" 

"So, we'll buy some beef and go to Prof. Kim's house tomorrow... you resolve that misunderstanding and explain everything." She patted his arm. 

"Good." Baekhyun started walking after taking her hand in his. He started humming a song. "Don't you worry your pretty, little mind. People throw rocks at things that shine and life makes love look hard..." 

Sora giggled. "What are singing, man?" She asked in English. 

"The stakes are high," He sang louder as he put his arm around her neck and pulled her closer to himself. "The water's rough, but this love is ours."

"Ours, truly..." She whispered before taking off her mask. "Baek, my legs are tired."

The professor stopped. "What to do? Should we go back home?"

"But my legs hurt so bad..." She pouted.

Baekhyun sighed, turning to the left to face her. "Wear your mask." She rolled her eyes. "Look, we were going to buy hot chocolate. Now you say you are tired, so we have to go back home. Though, we must walk back home because you told me not to bring my car. What should I do now?"

"Such a stupid man..." She mumbled.

"What?" He cocked his head. 

"Look! What about doing what other boys do for their girlfriends?!" She shouted. 

"Why are you shouting... just tell me what you want, why are women like this?" He trailed away.

"Give me a piggyback ride?" She asked cutely.

"What? No!" He fixed his overcoat's collar and walked away, speeding up his footsteps. 

"Why?" She crossed her arms.

The professor turned to her. "I am nothing like those young stupid boys on campus! I will never ever," He started moving his index finger in the air. "Be a party to such a puerile action..."

"Puerile action?!" Her eyes widened and she gritted her teeth. "Ok then! I'm going to stay still here! And you can go where the hell you want to go!" Sora shouted before stamping her foot on the ground.

"Ok!" He hollered and started walking back home. The blonde bit her lower lip and started running towards him. Hearing footstep getting closer to him, Baekhyun stopped. Though before he could turned to his girlfriend, she jumped on his back. Sora locked her legs around his waist and put her hands around his neck. Not wanting her to fall, his instincts made him catch her thighs. "Sora Kang!"

"It's Kang Sora, baby..." She whispered. "We are in Republic of Korea, not United States."

"This is really embarrassing..." He huffed.

"Young boys' stuff," She ran her fingers through his hair. "You said on the inside, you are a twenty one year-old boy... so our age difference is only one year. You must not feel embarrassed."

"Ok, ok. I surrendered." He breathed deeply. "Now that you are up there... where should we go?"

"We will buy hot chocolate and go home... huh?"

"As you wish, milady..." He started walking.

■□■

Emma breathed deeply after getting out of her uncle's car. She and Minseok went to Starship early in the morning to end her contract with the company. "Freedom!" She clapped. "Thank you uncle Minnie, I owe you a lot. Though be sure, I'll give the money back to you..."

"I'd be so thankful if you use my full name... I don't need the money." Minseok led her to the elevator. "So... what to do today?" He pressed the button.

"Um... we can go shopping and make pizza!" She suggested.

"Good." He said and paused for some moments. "Can I ask for some advice?"

"Advice? Yes? What's it?"

Minseok took a deep breath. "You know Emma, I'm thinking of some changes in my life." 

"What changes? Don't go back to America..." She showed him her cutest look.

"No darling." He chuckled and lowered his head. "Actually, I want to get married."

Her eyes shined. "To auntie Dasom?!" He nodded. "Wow! It's awesome! What to do? Have you bought a ring?"

He nodded again. "But I don't know how to propose properly... well, er- I thought you must know what a young girl expects from her boyfriend... can you plan a romantic marriage proposal?"

"You got it!" She punched his arm.

"Ouch..." He whispered as he massaged his arm. "You're too strong as a girl." The elevator door opened and they walked out. The doctor rang the bell and Dasom opened the door. "Hello lady..."

"Minseok... we have a guest." She whispered, as if no one was allowed to hear them.

"What guest?" Emma asked after taking off her mask. "Is it dad?" She shook her head. "Sora unnie?"

"No. It's your mother!" She said. 

Minseok gasped and walked in in hurry. He looked at the woman sitting on a couch calmly. "You!"

She turned to him and showed him her elegant smile. "Hello Minseok." Chorong stood up. Emma followed her uncle and turned to the side he was staring at only to find her mother standing there. "Hello daughter." She was wearing a leather black jacket, leather pants and a white shirt. The red beret on her head was eye-catching. She stepped closer to her and opened her arms. "Aren't you coming to hug mommy?" 

Emma took a look at Minseok as she was clinging to his coat's sleeve. "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Is that how you welcome a guest?" She asked. "No manners... so sorry." She went to Emma and took her into her arms. "My beautiful girl... you can't imagine how hard it was to be away from you..."

Emma kept quiet. She didn't know what to say, but actually, she enjoyed to be in her arms, her mother's. She was finally feeling it. Her mom's love and warmth. "Why did you leave me?" She found herself asking. 

"I'm so sorry baby... I had to." Chorong pulled away. "We can go out together and talk more, huh?"

"What out?" Minseok spoke. "It's my responsibility to take care of her... and I don't let you take her."

"It's her choice..." She said. "Do you want to come with me?"

Emma thought for some seconds. "Uncle... I need to talk with her." She walked to him. "It's my right to talk to her and ask some questions after thirteen years."

Dasom put her hand on her boyfriend's shoulder, making him look back at her. She nodded her head as a sign of agreement with Emma. Minseok sighed. "Fine, but be back before evening."

■□■

Baekhyun was searching for the ingredients in the list while Sora was waiting outside of the market. To her surprise, the street was empty, there wasn't any live creature to be seen. "Pretty lady?" A man called her. The blonde took a glance at him, but preferred not to answer. "Are you alone?"

"Leave please." She whispered. Surely, if Baekhyun saw him, he would make a fuss and she didn't like to destroy her day like that.

He took out a penknife and held it close to her, making her gasp. "Give me all you got or you'll be killed." He continued talking.

"Get lost or I'll call my boyfriend..." She was about to go to in the  but the man grabbed her hand and pushed her towards the wall behind him. "Baek-"

He covered with his hand. "Sh... keep quiet, b*tch." Other hand of him  held the penknife to her neck. "Just give me your money and leave..." He opened her handbag and looked in. "You got nothing? Then give me your cellphone or those pretty earrings." 

Sora shook her head. There was no way in hell she would give him the earrings which was a gift from her father. Before reaching her ears, Baekhyun pulled his girlfriend out of his arms and kicked him in the stomach. The man fell on the floor and the knife was thrown in front of Baekhyun's foot. "You motherf*cker!" The professor shouted. Sora hugged him tightly and hid her face in his embrace before starting crying. "Sir, please call the police!" He shouted so the shopkeeper could hear him.

The man stood up slowly, hands on his abdomen as it still hurt. " it..." He cursed under her breath before his struggle to run away, but the shopkeeper caught him by his collar.

The professor took off his mask. "Kitty, you ok?" He asked, but she didn't answer. "Baby... talk. It's not good if you keep quiet. Talk to me..." Baekhyun caressed her cheek and kissed her forehead. "My love, what did he want?"

She sobbed. "He's a thief."

"He threatened you?"

"With a penknife..." She said after nodding. 

He kissed her eyes softly after looking at the man furiously. "It's ok, honey... I know you are scared, but don't be. Ok? I'm here. You're safe with me."

"Let's go to Prof. Kim's house... I don't want to be here..." She wiped her eyes. Her heart was beating too fast that Baekhyun could feel it. "Go... let's go..." She stamped her foot.

"Not yet, we will wait for the police." He tightened his arms around her. 

■□■

Minseok ran to the door as soon as he heard the bell ringing. "Why are you late?" He shouted with a frown when he saw the couple.

Dasom pushed her boyfriend aside. "Sora-ya, have you cried? Why are your eyes like that?" She touched her shoulder.

"Long story, but... why are you angry? Is there something wrong?" Sora asked, the professor looked at her and then at the man in front of him. He was not that normal guy he knew.

"Well..." Minseok gulped, not sure how to inform his cousin. "Um... well, Emma went out with somebody."

"Uh, fine. So she went out with her friends from Starship. It's good to hear that. We will wait for her. You scared me to the death, hyung..." Baekhyun took off his shoes and was about to walk in that the doctor continued. 

"That somebody wasn't her friend," He paused. "She was Kim Chorong."

The professor leaned against the wall as he lost his balance. "Baekhyun..." Sora grabbed his arm. "It's ok... no mother will harm her daughter, huh? She is safe with her..."

He shook his head. "What if she brainwashes her? Then Emma will think that I have-"

"Baekhyun," Minseok took his arm and led him to the livingroom. "Emma is smarter than that. She won't get confused easily..."

"Nothing is impossible when it comes t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter