Chapter One

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I watched myself opening my mouth so wide in front of the mirror when a loud yawn escaped out of me. I blinked my eyes several times, trying to push back the tears that appeared from yawning. Then I stared at my reflection in the mirror. At my hair specifically. I was debating whether to push my bangs to the side or just let them fall in front of me.

I shrugged at myself and decided to leave them covering my forehead. I turned the lights off as I walked out of the bathroom. Before I could completely walk out, I turned the lights on again and grabbed the comb by the sink, changing my decision right away. I combed my short blond hair before I pushed my bangs to the side. There’s not a lot I can do with my short blond hair other than doing something with my bangs.

I finally turned the lights off and shut the door in the bathroom before I headed to my bedside table. I grabbed my keys and wallet, and pocketed them before I grabbed my phone. I glanced at my phone screen as I walked out of my bedroom and into the living room of my apartment.

 

5:15 am

 

I headed to my doorstep to wear my shoes. Then I leaned my right ear on my front door before I closed my eyes. I was met with silence from the other side of my front door. I glanced at my phone screen again to check the time.

 

5:17 am

 

She usually comes out at around five-thirty, but there was a time that she came out earlier. I missed her. I don’t want to miss her, so I always make sure to wake up earlier even though I don’t need to wake up at this hour.

I sighed heavily and closed my eyes again. I listened to any activities in the apartment hallway and waited. I just stood right by my front door with my right ear attached to it and waited. Another yawn came out of me as I waited some more. I’m slowly falling back to sleep from the silence. I might fall asleep standing upright while leaning on my door if the silence continues.

My eyes suddenly opened wide when I heard a puppy barking from next door. I pulled away from the door then raised my phone in front of me. I checked my bangs that I pushed to the side before I checked the rest of my face. I pocketed my phone again and held the door handle. I sighed heavily and waited for the barking puppy to get louder as it approached the next room’s front door.

When I heard her voice and her puppy so close to me now, I gulped hard and breathed deeply to calm myself down. Then I pulled the door open and walked out of my apartment.

The hallway was empty as usual. There are only three apartment rooms on the floor where I’m staying right now and I’m sure the tenant in the other room still hasn’t been back from work yet since she worked at night.

“Shh… Yongkeey. Don't wake up the entire building”

I heard her hushed voice as I closed my door behind me. I glanced towards her apartment and could hear pitter patter from her puppy’s paws and nails. Her puppy barked again before her door opened.

I smiled when I saw Yongkeey coming out of her room first. A leash attached to her while Yongsun struggled to keep her puppy contained. Yongkeey barked excitedly when she saw me right away.

“Shh… Yongkeey!” Yongsun scolded her puppy while I silently chuckled.

I crouched down when Yongkeey walked towards me. She’s still a cute little puppy but she’s full of excitement already even this early morning. Her barks sounded so strong like a big dog’s bark already. I petted her head and scratched her neck and ears while she wiggled her tail eagerly, definitely liking the attention coming from me.

“Did we wake you up?”

I glanced at Yongsun who was closing her door behind her. I smiled and shook my head before I brought my attention to Yongkeey again. “You know I always wake up at this time too, right?” I said to Yongsun, petting Yongkeey’s head one last time before I stood up. “I was already awake.” I pointed at her jogging outfit and ponytail before I asked, “Going out jogging again?”

“Of course.” She pointed at me as well and asked, “Going out for work already?”

I smiled and nodded at her.

She handed me Yongkeey’s leash and offered me to hold it. I smiled wider and accepted it right away while Yongkeey wagged her tail excitedly at me. Then we started walking towards the stairs while Yongsun started stretching her arms beside me.

“If not for work, I would’ve still been sleeping by now. It still amazes me how you’d wake up early in the morning to jog,” I said to Yongsun while smiling at Yongkeey who’s excitedly wiggling her tail and jumping in front of us while we’re walking down the stairs.

“If not for that puppy, I would’ve still been sleeping by now too” Yongsun said, grunting as she continued to stretch beside me. “I just decided to use the time of walking her to jog”

We reached the main lobby and headed out of the apartment building with Yongkeey leading us. We headed to the pedestrian crosswalk while glancing on either side of the road to make sure that there were no cars coming towards our direction. We crossed the road while I gripped on Yongkeey’s leash when she’s so eager to walk ahead of us.

“Careful…” I whispered to her and held the leash with both of my hands now. I’m bigger than her but she’s definitely stronger than me.

“Yongkeey… Stop dragging Wheein with you” Yongsun said, grabbing the leash with me to help me contain her puppy. “Let me hold her. You can let go of her if she’s giving you a hard time”

“No. It’s okay. I’m okay” I nervously mumbled before I gulped hard when I felt her hand on top of mine.

Yongsun laughed softly beside me and nodded at me before she let go of the leash. I slightly pouted at Yongkeey before subtly I breathed deeply. I easily blush so hard but I’m glad that she’d always interpret that blush for my shyness even though it was entirely triggered by something else.

We stopped walking and told Yongkeey to stay when we reached the café across our apartment building. Yongsun stretched her legs and started warming up before her jog while I grabbed my keys from my pocket. Yongkeey was rolling in front of us before she stared at her owner. Her tongue was falling out of and her tail was moving excitedly as she watched Yongsun stretch. I was watching Yongsun stretch as well while waiting for her to finish.

After a couple of minutes, she turned to face me and reached a hand to me. I passed her Yongkeey’s leash while she smiled and nodded at me.

“Thank you”

“No problem.” I walked to the front door of the café and unlocked it. “Iced Americano later?” I asked, glancing at her before I pushed the door open.

She was checking on Yongkeey’s leash and her shoelaces before she stood up and faced me. She smiled, my eyes quickly going down to the dimples at the corners of her smile before I looked at her eyes again. “Yup. Thank you again”

I smiled as I nodded at her. “No problem”

“I’ll see you later, Wheein”

“I’ll see you later too”

She motioned for Yongkeey to start walking before she started jogging. She glanced back to wave at me while I raised a hand and timidly waved back at her. When she turned her back to me, I dropped my hand beside me and sighed heavily. I stared at her back for a few more seconds before I pushed the door open in the café.

I locked the door and didn’t bother turning on the lights inside the café. I pocketed my keys and grabbed my phone, setting my alarm for six-fifteen as I headed to the very back of the café. I walked inside the bar and headed to one of the doors behind it. I pushed the door open to my office and didn’t bother turning on the lights in here as well.

I sat down on the couch inside my office as I kicked my shoes off my feet. Then I laid down and curled up on the couch before I closed my eyes as I sighed heavily. The café won’t open until around six-thirty so I’m going back to sleep. Hyejin and Byul will either wake me up later or my alarm will.

 

It felt like hours had passed already when I woke up to my alarm. I sighed heavily as I laid on my back and stared at the ceiling, trying to figure out where I was and why I was sleeping on the couch. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily again when I remembered what happened earlier this morning.

I pushed myself in a sitting position and fixed my hair and bangs. It’s still dark inside my office and the only light I could see was the one coming from below my office door. I could now hear activities outside my office, which means that Hyejin and Byul are here already. They know I’m here in the café too but I think they chose not to wake me up.

I groaned as I stretched my body before I stood up. I emptied my pocket and placed all my things on my table. I turned the lights on inside my office while I blinked my eyes, trying to adjust from the sudden brightness. I turned my computer on before I left the room.

My nose immediately caught a whiff of the satisfying aroma from brewing coffee, immediately waking me up now. Soft music has already filled the room, completing the ambiance inside the café. Soft chatters started to fill the room as well from the customers who were enjoying their morning coffee while reading papers. Some were just simply buying their drink of choice before heading directly out of the café. Hyejin was already standing behind the counter taking orders while Byul was busy with the espresso machines, making the orders.

“Good morning” I mumbled to them as I headed to the kitchen.

“Good morning, Wheeinie” Hyejin said without looking away from the counter.

“Morning, boss.” This one’s from Byul.

“You opened earlier” I said to Byul when I passed by her on my way to the kitchen.

“Hyejin wanted to work early” she mumbled absentmindedly while still busy with the drinks she’s making. “Want me to make your coffee?” she asked.

“No, but thanks for the offer”

I washed my hands first before I dried them. Then I wore my cap and apron next. Byul and Hyejin are wearing uniforms. Since I own the place, I don’t have to do that. I still have to keep myself clean though since we’re dealing with food and drinks.

Hyejin is a close friend of mine. When I told her I’m opening my own café, she immediately trained to become a barista. She still has no plans on what to do specifically and decided to work for me while she’s still trying to figure things out. It’s been years now and she’s still working here. I think she ended up loving working here.

Byul is a barista I hired when I opened this café. I think she’s the reason why Hyejin is not moving out of this place. They met here, realized that they clicked, and got together. Now, they’re living together. I don’t like the idea of my employees dating in one workplace but they’ve been professional. They would sometimes sneak a kiss on the cheek or hold hands, but they have so far respected that this is a place of work.

I headed back to the bar and started making two iced Americanos; one for me and one for Yongsun. I also packed a slice of strawberry shortcake for her.

“Wheein…” Byul whispered behind me.

I looked up and saw Yongsun inside the café. I smiled but my smile immediately went away when I saw someone walking behind her. I gulped hard, cleared my throat, and decided to place the strawberry shortcake back in the display area. I placed the iced Americano I made for Yongsun beside Byul then picked up my iced Americano, wanting to hide in my office with my drink.

“Aren’t you going to give it to her?” Byul whispered beside me as she pointed at the drink I placed near her.

“No. I don’t think so” I whispered back.

“You’re making it obvious if you suddenly bolt inside your office.” I glared and pouted at her while she chuckled and shook her head. “She already saw you. Now she’s already standing a few feet from us” Byul said before she went to the kitchen and left me with Hyejin who’s worriedly staring at me.

I looked up in time to see Eric kissing Yongsun’s cheek before she smiled at him. I averted my gaze from them right away and grabbed the iced Americano I made for Yongsun. Then I placed it near the counter in front of Hyejin.

“What do you want?” Eric asked Yongsun.

She pointed at the coffee I placed and told him, “Wheein already made my drink. You have to order yours only.” Yongsun looked at me and smiled as she nodded her head. “Thank you”

I gave her a quick nod and a small smile. “No problem” I shyly whispered, bringing my gaze down only to see Eric’s hand holding onto her waist. I silently cleared my throat again as I faced Hyejin. ”I’ll be in my office” I whispered to her before I grabbed my own drink and headed back to my office.

“Okay…” Hyejin whispered, still looking at me worriedly.

My back was to the counter and I was facing my office door while taking a sip of my coffee. But my ears were trained on whatever Eric and Yongsun were talking about. I could ignore Yongsun giving out suggestions to Eric but my ears perked up when I heard that Eric was taking Yongsun out on a date.

I pushed the door open as I placed my drink down beside me, not liking the bitterness of my coffee already. I closed the door behind me and walked towards my table as I took my apron and cap off. I placed my drink on the table and hung my cap and apron before I sat down behind my computer.

I abandoned my coffee. I busied myself with work. I was facing spreadsheets of records and inventories but my mind kept on wandering somewhere else. Still, I pushed those thoughts away and continued with work.

A few minutes later, I heard a knock in my office before it was pushed open. I looked up to see Hyejin walking inside my office. She closed the door behind her and sat on the couch. I went back to working on my computer.

“Wheein…”

“Hyejin…” I whispered without looking away from my computer.

“Don’t you think it’s time to get past her?”

“I’m not doing anything wrong, Hyej”

“You aren’t but you’re not helping yourself either”

I saved my work before I closed my eyes and sighed heavily as I leaned back on my seat. I rubbed my palms on my face, relaxing myself. I dropped my hands and tilted my head to look at Hyejin. I pouted at her when she’s still looking at me worriedly.

“It’s been four years since you’ve caught feelings towards her. Don’t you think it’s time?”

I pouted even more while she scoffed and rolled her eyes at me. She removed her cap and apron, folded her apron, and placed them beside her. She leaned back on the couch before she stared at me.

We just continued to stare at each other.

She suddenly raised an eyebrow at me while I frowned at her. “Find someone else”

“You know I can’t”

“Because you chose not to”

“I wanted not to”

“Wheein…”

“Hyejin…” I sighed heavily again. “I’m not doing anything bad. She doesn’t know what I truly feel towards her. She thinks we’re friends. I’m not breaking her relationship with Eric even though I think she deserves someone better”

“And you think you are that someone better?” she challenged, raising her eyebrow at me again.

I shook my head as I pouted at her. “No”

“Then stop. You said it yourself. She’s in a relationship already. She treats you as her friend only. Those are enough reasons to find someone else or at least move past her”

“I don’t want to…” I whined at her.

“Move out of your apartment. Live somewhere else. Stop waking up early in the morning just so you can walk her out. You looked like you lived in this café already. Stop making her orders. Just stop” Hyejin said exasperatedly, her eyebrows furrowing like she’s almost glaring at me.

“Hyejin…”

She rolled her eyes and slouched on her seat again. “Why are you so stubborn with this?” she whispered to herself.

“I’m fine loving her without her knowing it”

She scoffed again and whispered, “Bull”

“Please…” I whispered softly.

She glared at me while I pouted at her. She closed her eyes and sighed heavily. She grabbed her apron and cap again before she stood up. She wore her apr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter