Chapter Twenty Five

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun’s POV

 

“Where are we going?”

I smiled when she refused to answer my question and just shook her head.

“Did you prepare something for today?”

I smiled wider and silently laughed at her when she shook her head again.

“We’re definitely going somewhere and you definitely prepared something for today”

“Yongsun…”

“I’m just saying” I whispered, winking at her when she glanced at me through the rearview mirror.

I turned to the pineapple man beside me, or so what Wheein has been calling Yongjae since this morning. His hair has grown so long and we don’t want to cut it because he looked cute in it. He looked especially cute when we tied his hair so it wouldn’t cover his eyes. Tying his hair up made him look like having the crown of a pineapple. Wheein even made him wear a shirt with a huge print of pineapple with sunglasses on.

I pouted at him while he leaned forward and kissed me right away, thinking that I was asking for a kiss from him. “Where is Mommy Whee taking us, Yongjae?”

“Whee?” He pointed at Wheein in the driver seat and said, “Whee”

“That’s right, Yongjae. Do you know where she’s taking us?” I asked him. He only stared at me, his eyes repeatedly bouncing from my eyes to my lips while his mouth moved to follow the movements of my lips. I kissed his forehead before I turned to Wheein. “I hope you didn’t prepare something big” I whispered, laughing softly when I saw her pouting at me.

Today’s my birthday and she has been silent since this morning. She only told me that we’re going somewhere and didn’t say anything more. I’ve been bugging her about where we’re going but she stubbornly refused to tell me anything. It’s impossible that wherever we’re going right now has nothing to do with my birthday today.

For two weeks, she’s been asking me when’s my birthday even though she already knew it. For two weeks, I’ve been answering her question. I think she’s planning something or making sure that she doesn’t miss my birthday. She just greeted me this morning then after that, she became alarmingly quiet.

I glanced outside and immediately sat up when we’re on a very familiar street. “Why are we going to Eric’s house?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowing from confusion. “Are we dropping Yongjae to Eric?”

“Ewik…” Yongjae whispered beside me.

I smiled and nodded at him. “That’s right. We’re going to Daddy Eric’s house, little guy, which I don’t understand.” I turned to Wheein who’s just pouting on the driver seat. “Why are we dropping Yongjae to Eric? I already told him that we’re making today’s weekend an exemption because I wanted to spend time with you and Yongjae. Didn’t I tell you about it?”

“You did,” she mumbled.

“Did you forget?”

“I didn’t”

“Then why are we going to Eric’s house?”

“Yongsun…” she whispered, sighing heavily as she pouted at me again.

“Yongkeey” I said, turning my attention to the passenger seat while Yongkeey immediately responded with a loud bark. “Bite Wheein”

“What? No!” she exclaimed, panicking as she raised her arm up to defend herself.

Luckily, Yongkeey just her arm and pushed her face to Wheein’s side, wanting to be petted. Wheein sighed in relief and patted Yongkeey’s head, driving using one of her hands now since she’s afraid Yongkeey might actually bite her, which is impossible.

“Good girl. Good girl” she whispered to Yongkeey.

“Answer my question”

“No…” she mumbled, shaking her head again before she fixed her cap when it covered her vision and wore it backwards instead.

“At least answer this. Am I going to spend the day without Yongjae?”

“No”

“Thank you…” I plopped my body back as I leaned back on the seat while sighing in relief. “I just really want a day with you three, Wheein. Nothing big, but obviously you have plans you don’t want to tell me”

“It’s called a surprise. Why would I tell you if it’s a surprise?”

“So a surprise is waiting for me in Eric’s house?” I asked while she groaned loudly and shook her head again, obviously lying to me. “Okay… okay… I’ll stop asking.” I chuckled at how pouty and whiny she is, which is the only reason why I’ve been bugging her nonstop.

When we reached Eric’s house, there’s a lot of cars parked outside already. I saw Chorong’s car and Byul and Hyejin’s new car was parked right beside it. Changsub’s car is here too. I think everyone I know is here today.

I glanced at Wheein to bug her again but she looked nervous so I didn’t bother talking anymore and just smiled at her. She turned the car and parked it but didn’t turn the car off or move, which made me feel worried about her.

“Wheein…” I whispered softly, trying to grab her attention.

“Hmm…” she hummed, glancing at me through the rearview mirror.

“Are we just going to stay here? Aren’t we going out?”

“Oh, yeah. We are. We’re going out” she mumbled, hurriedly unfastening her seatbelt. “I’ll deal with Yongkeey and Yongjae, okay?”

She climbed out of the car and jogged towards the passenger seat. I turned to Yongjae and unstrapped him from the car seat. Then I moved out of the car while Wheein was already reaching her arms to me to grab Yongjae.

She let me walk inside the house first. She followed closely behind me and Yongkeey was following behind Wheein. I could hear Yongjae’s mumbles to Yongkeey, trying to talk to her.

When we got inside, no one was here. The house was empty, which was a huge contradiction to the amount of cars parked outside. We walked further inside the house and Wheein told me to head to the backyard. I smiled right away when I could hear soft mutters from the outside.

“Ah… wait, wait, wait. Yongsun, wait” Wheein whispered behind me, stopping me from opening the door and sounding very anxious.

“What?”

She pouted at me before she bent her head low, her face slowly turning red from a blush. “I forgot something” she whispered softly.

“What?

“I’m supposed to blindfold you before we reached the house” she mumbled while I instantly smiled, finding her cute. It’s so Wheein to forget something from being so nervous. “Hyejin would be very mad at me if you marched in there without the blindfold on. She was very certain that I’d mess this up and I did.” She groaned from frustration while Yongjae kissed her pouting lips and smiled at her, lifting her mood a little bit.

“Do you want me to pretend that I didn’t see the cars outside and that I was blindfolded the whole time?”

She pouted at me and bobbed her head in an adorable nod.

“Where’s the blindfold?”

“In my pocket. I’m sorry”

I giggled at her as I grabbed the blindfold in her pocket, sneaking a kiss on her cheek. “You don’t have to apologize. This is fun already.” I tied the blindfold around my eyes before I reached my hand to her. “Where are you?” I felt her cap first before I felt her shoulders and held onto them.

“Just hold onto me, okay? I’ll guide you outside. Let’s start walking now”

She was in front of me now while I was relying on my hold on her shoulders to guide me to the backyard. I just bent my head low, feeling Yongkeey brushing her body to my leg sometimes and hearing Yongjae’s mumbles. Then the murmurs in the backyard suddenly went silent before I heard a door opening.

I smiled and silently laughed behind Wheein because I already knew half of this surprise. I’m already imagining the faces of my friends gathering in the backyard.

“Careful on the steps. We’re going down now”

She carefully stepped down and helped me walk down as well, feeling the grass on my feet now. We started walking again. I transferred my hold away from her shoulders and held her waist. Then I moved forward and hugged her before I leaned my chin on her shoulders.

“Jinie! Bow!” Yongjae shouted before he shrieked excitedly while I smiled when I heard Wheein softly groaning in front of me.

I kissed the back of her head before she suddenly stopped walking. “What now?” I asked her.

“Take off your blindfold but you have to let go of me first”

“What if I don’t want to let go of you?”

“Yongsun…” she whispered exasperatedly while I laughed at her again.

“Okay, okay. I was just teasing.” I kissed the back of her head before I removed my arms around her waist. I reached behind me to untie the blindfold as I felt Wheein moving away from me already. “I have untied it. Should I bring it down now?”

“Yes” Wheein said, hearing her voice away from me now.

I brought down the blindfold while I blinked my eyes, letting it adjust from the sudden brightness. Once I was able to focus, I smiled at all the people standing in front of me.

“Surprise!” they all shouted at the same time.

Yonghee was right in front and at the very middle of the crowd, holding a cake in her hands. Yongjae was already in Chorong’s arms and was standing beside my sister. Irene was standing beside her. Then I saw Wheein standing with the Magnolia baristas; Hyejin, Byul, Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung. The Jeonju baristas even came here. Eric was here, standing beside Changsub and Sodam, my other friends at work.

The person that I’m most surprised to see is Mom. I know Wheein planned this and I never told Mom about my relationship with Wheein. Only Yonghee knows about it. She was eyeing Wheein but she never made a remark yet. She looked at me again before she smiled when she saw me looking at her. I knew she wanted to ask me about it but since it’s my birthday, she’s stopping herself from doing so.

They’re all carrying balloons and waving it around while singing happy birthday to me. Yongjae was passed from one person to the other. By the end of the song, he was in Eric’s arms and looking so grumpy from being carried by so many people.

“Don’t just stand there, Yongsun. Make a wish and blow the candles” Yonghee said, smiling so wide at me.

“You came here?”

“Someone paid for my ticket. Why wouldn’t I come?” she said and I looked at Wheein right away who instantly averted my gaze while blushing red already.

“Did she?”

“Blow or I’ll let Yongjae blow the candles for you”

“Wait. I like that.” I looked at Yongjae and smiled at him while he’s pouting so hard at Eric. “Yongjae… Baby, come here. Help Mommy blow the candles”

Eric passed him to me when he heard that. I showered his cheeks with kisses and kissed his pouting lips, stopping when he’s not being grumpy anymore. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and sighed heavily, exhausted from being passed to a different person during the entire birthday song.

“Whee… Whee…” he mumbled, pointing at Wheein and leaning towards her.

“You want Mommy Whee to help Mommy too?” I looked at Wheein and smiled at her when she’s red all over her face and on her ears now. “Yongjae wants you over here” I said to her.

“Shouldn’t it be Eric standing with you and Yongjae?” Mom asked, completely ruining the mood by her question.

Wheein turned even more red after that and hid behind Hyejin and Byul. I looked at Mom and saw Yonghee glaring at our mother while Mom was staring at me intently, challenging me to back down. I’m not backing down though. I even love the challenge.

“It’s my birthday Mom. It’s not Yongjae’s birthday”

“Also, I think Yongjae would want to have Wheein and Yongsun beside him too if this was his birthday. Wheein prepared all of this too, Mrs. Kim. I just volunteered my house” Eric said, earning a nod of approval from my sister and step closer towards being forgiven by me.

Mom didn’t say anything after that anymore but I could see how she’s even angrier at me now.

I looked at Wheein again while Yongjae started whining in my arms, repeatedly calling Wheein. I kissed his cheek before I looked at Wheein again. “Wheein, come here before the candles melt down”

Hyejin had to push Wheein for her to start moving towards me. I passed Yongjae to her while Yongjae instantly smiled when he was already in Wheein’s arms. We both moved towards Yonghee to blow the candles. Wheein has been instructing Yongjae how to blow but only his spit would come out instead of air, making everyone laugh at him. We blew out the candles before Yongjae could cover the cake with his spit. Then everyone laughed and clapped, bringing back a little bit of the festive mood earlier.

“Say happy birthday to Mommy, little guy” Wheein whispered to Yongjae. “Happy…”

“Pi…” Yongjae said while everyone was watching him and listening to him intently.

“Birthday…”

“Day…”

“Happy birthday!” Wheein said, raising one of her arms up for Yongjae to follow.

“Day!” Yongjae shouted, raising both of his arms and accidentally punching Wheein’s left eye.

“Ow!” Wheein covered her left eye right away while Yongjae giggled at her. “Kiss Mommy, pineapple man” Wheein whispered before she softly groaned from the pain. That was the same eye that Yongjae hit with Wheein’s phone one time, earning Wheein a black eye there. I think she’s getting another one from Yongjae today as well.

Yongjae leaned towards me and I met him halfway to kiss his puckered lips. He clapped his hands and smiled at me before he giggled again when Wheein was still softly groaning.

“Kiss Mommy Whee’s boo boos, Yongjae”

“Boo boo?”

“Boo boo.” I pointed at Wheein, who’s wiping the tears that were coming out of her left eye. Her eye was just a little bit red but there’s definitely no black eye, so that’s a relief. “Kiss Mommy Whee” I whispered to Yongjae again.

He held Wheein’s face before he kissed her cheek. “Boo… no more?” he asked, shaking his head at Wheein.

Wheein smiled at Yongjae and shook her head as well. “No more boo boos.” She kissed his forehead and whispered, “Thanks, little guy”

“You prepared everything?” I asked Wheein, smiling at her as I moved closer to them. I smiled wider when she nodded at me before I leaned forward and kissed her forehead. “Thank you. You didn’t have to but I love seeing everyone here.” I kissed her forehead again before I went to kiss her lips next. “I love you”

“I love you too” she whispered before hiding her blush by pushing her face to Yongjae’s tummy, making him giggle while patting his tiny hands on Wheein’s head.

“Okay… Now, tell us the truth Wheein. Did you fail or did you not?” Hyejin suddenly asked, making everyone laugh from the sudden change of topic.

“She did!” I answered for Wheein. “We were right behind the door when she stopped me. She forgot to blindfold me before we reached the house. I saw everyone’s car and already knew who was here. The only reason why I was blindfolded was because she doesn’t want you to be mad at her for failing in completely surprising me”

That erupted another set of loud laughter from everyone. I didn’t bother looking at my Mom or whatever she thinks of my relationship with Wheein. I was busy smiling and laughing at Wheein who didn’t just hide behind Yongjae anymore. She moved towards me and hid herself behind me.

 

Yongjae and Wheein were with Yonghee. My older sister was trying to get to know my girlfriend and Yongjae was with them so Wheein wouldn’t have to be nervous in meeting her. My mother, on the other hand, didn’t want to talk to Wheein though. She refused to acknowledge her presence even when Wheein was the reason for everything here.

I was walking around thanking people for coming here and celebrating my birthday. They all said the same thing. That I should thank Wheein for organizing everything. I also found out that she asked Chorong and Irene to help invite my friends since she doesn’t know any of my friends other than the two of them.

I was by the table of food, grabbing some snacks for me, Chorong, and Irene when my mother suddenly walked towards me. She stood beside me, grabbing some fruits and placing them on her plate. She wasn’t saying anything so I didn’t say anything towards her as well. Just as I was about to go back to the back porch, that’s when she decided to talk to me.

“Was she the reason why you broke off your wedding with Eric?”

“That’s one of the reasons, yes.” I turned to face her and waited for her to say something. She was only looking at me intently, her eyebrows furrowed from anger. “Excuse me. I’m going back to my friends, Mom”

“I do not approve of this”

I sighed as I faced her again. “You never approve any of my choices, Mom”

“I approve of you marrying Eric”

“I’m sorry but that’s not happening anymore. Eric cheated on me and he could do it again even if we’re already married”

“He’s a changed man”

“And he could go back to how he was before. He cheated on me the whole time we were together, Mom. He betrayed me”

“So you’re staying with whoever this woman is now? Is that it? You know I hated this…” she said, pausing as she waved her free hand around, unable to find a word to finish her statement.

“What?”

“This setup. These kinds of relationships. Whatever you two are doing. It’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter