Chapter Eight

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I unlocked the doors of my café before I pushed it open and let Yongsun in first with Yongjae in her arms who’s waving his tiny arms everywhere and kicking his little legs out. I turned all the lights in next and headed to the bar, smiling when I heard Yongjae mumbling incoherently.

Little guy has started talking like he’s an adult already. He talks so much and it’s fascinating because I think he’s trying to mimic us. It felt like he could understand himself and he could understand us, but we couldn’t understand his baby talk at all.

I placed Yongsun’s bag by the counter before I headed to my office to place my things on the table and placed the baby bag on the couch. I went back to the bar and saw Yongsun pointing at the plants and decorations inside my café while telling Yongjae about them. I proceeded to make our iced Americano while my ears were focused on their conversation.

“Baby… look at this. It’s a plant” Yongsun whispered to her son. “You want to touch the plant, Yongjae?” she whispered to him while Yongjae responded by mumbling at her before I heard something like a slapping sound. “Oh, no! Don’t hurt the plant, baby” Yongsun hurriedly said while Yongjae just giggled at her.

“What did he do this time?” I asked, laughing softly as I looked at them and saw Yongsun walking towards the bar.

“He slapped the leaves. Now he’s trying to play with your cash register”

“Would you like to get in?”

“I think we’re better right outside the bar,” Yongsun said. Yongjae leaned forward and pointed at me, obviously wanting to get inside the bar while Yongsun held him close to her. “Let’s just stay here, Yongjae…” she whispered to her son while Yongjae started whimpering and still leaning forward, coaxing his mother to get to me.

“He obviously wants to get inside”

“And he might destroy all the things there”

I walked to them and lifted Yongjae from her arms while Yongsun could only sigh. “We’ll be fine” I said before I kissed Yongjae’s cheeks. “Get in. You’ll have to make our coffee since I’m holding this little guy”

Yongsun walked inside the bar while she narrowed her eyes on me, making smile at her. Then she slightly frowned at the things in the bar before she whispered, “I don’t know how”

“I’ll tell you how.” I walked back to the espresso machine, smiling at Yongjae who’s already looking around the bar. I kissed his cheek again while his eyes continued to roam around the place. “Curious little guy” I whispered to him before I glanced at Yongsun who looked so confused in front of the machines.

“What am I supposed to do now?” Yongsun asked, her eyes never leaving the machines.

“See that thing with the black handle that looks like an ice cream scoop? That’s the portafilter”

“Ice cream scoop?” she whispered to herself while she looked for the filter. I smiled when she finally found it. “This one?” she asked, lifting the filter so I could see it while her eyebrows raised expectantly.

“That’s it”

She smiled so wide and slightly jumped on her heels as she looked at Yongjae who’s already giggling with his mother. “Mommy got it right, baby.” She turned to the machines again. “What’s next?”

“Place that into the black machine right beside where you got it”

She followed my instructions and quickly got the filter attached to the machine. She clapped her hands before she said, “Okay. Next.” Her competitive spirit is getting activated just by this small task.

“Press the button. Coffee powder will pour out into the filter”

Right after Yongsun activated the machine, Yongjae leaned closer while he reached his hand to the powder that’s falling into the filter. I moved closer to the machine while Yongsun stepped aside as we watched Yongjae. He froze and retrieved his hand when the machine stopped pouring coffee, making us chuckle at him. He reached his hand again and touched the powder before he suddenly brought his hand with the powder to his mouth, tasting the bitterness of the coffee. Then he looked at his Mommy while his face scrunched up as he spit out the coffee, not liking what he had tasted.

Yongsun wiped his mouth with a towel while I got rid of the coffee on his hand. “You weren’t supposed to taste it, Yongjae” she whispered while laughing at her son.

He leaned his tiny body on me and clasped his hands in front of him. He looked at me and scrunched his nose again, still not over by the bitterness of the coffee while I giggled at him.

“Let’s just watch Mommy fail, little guy” I whispered to him.

“I’m not going to fail. The only reason I’ll fail is if you fail to give me good instructions”

“The only reason why you think my instructions are bad is if you can’t understand them” I said back, smiling cheekily at her while she playfully narrowed her eyes at me.

“Are you challenging me?”

“You always liked to be challenged” I said, laughing when she rolled her eyes at me before she turned to the machine with a small smirk on her face. Yongjae, on the other hand, stayed still and just watched his Mommy this time, learning from the coffee incident earlier.

I continued to give instructions on Yongsun while she followed them all perfectly. When she was done, she passed to me her first iced Americano and stared at me expectantly as I tasted the coffee. I took a small sip of the drink before I hummed in satisfaction. She smiled right away when she heard me hum.

“Was it good?” she asked, grabbing the cup from me before she tasted the coffee she made herself.

“It’s good”

“It is!” she exclaimed, her eyes widening as she smiled so wide and nodded her head excitedly. She turned to Yongjae and said, “Mommy did good, Yongjae…”

“I mean, it’s hard to fail an iced Americano” I whispered teasingly.

“Doesn’t matter.” She dismissed my tease right away before she faced the espresso machine again. “This is good. I’ll make another one for you”

“Shouldn’t you head to work now?”

“This won’t take long since I already know what to do”

“Okay…” I whispered. I couldn’t stop her even if I really wanted to. She’s already starting to make the second one.

By the time she was done with the second iced Americano, Hyejin and Byul arrived at the café together. They were surprised to see me with Yongsun and Yongjae behind the bar before they regained their composure and walked to us. Hyejin was staring at me intently the whole time she headed to the kitchen while Byul was smiling at us. They greeted Yongsun before my friends headed inside the kitchen to change.

This would be the first time they’ve seen Yongsun again since she went into labor. They’ve seen Yongjae before too but it was through pictures that I showed to them. This will be the first time they’ll see him personally.

Yongsun placed the iced Americano on the counter. “I should probably go,” she whispered as she grabbed Yongjae from me. She headed out of the bar while she showered kisses on her son’s cheek. “Mommy will have to go now, baby,” she whispered softly.

I followed them out while Hyejin and Byul came out of the kitchen and entered the bar now wearing their uniforms. I glanced at Yongjae and Yongsun again when I heard Yongjae’s soft giggles. Yongsun was now blowing his tummy and tickling his feet, which would make him giggle.

“Who’s the good boy? Who’s Mommy’s good boy?” she whispered, giggling with Yongjae as she continued to shower him kisses.

She gave a lingering kiss on her son’s head before she sighed heavily. Then she passed Yongjae to me again. I turned him around so Yongjae would still be facing her. A small frown was on her lips while she stared at her son intently.

“I’ll take care of him,” I whispered.

“I know you will. I just don’t want to go to work. I miss him already”

She leaned forward and kissed her son’s forehead before she grabbed Yongjae’s tiny hands and placed them on her cheeks. She pouted at him while he giggled and kicked his legs, moving restlessly in my arms. “Mommy will miss you, little guy.” She pushed her face on Yongjae’s tummy while her son softly tapped her head and played with her hair. “I’ll miss you” she whispered, erupting loud giggles and baby noises from Yongjae when her breath tickled him.

She sighed heavily before she pulled back and smiled at Yongjae. She kissed his forehead before she whispered, “Be a good boy, okay? Don’t squeeze Whee’s cheeks too much.” She kissed her son’s head one last time and leaned her forehead on his. “I love you. Mommy loves you so much” she whispered.

I could feel how she desperately wanted to stay right at that moment. She’s even clinging onto my shirt tightly so I wouldn’t pull back while she touched her forehead with Yongjae’s.

Yongsun reluctantly pulled away when Yongjae started fussing. She sighed heavily and brushed her son’s hair while Yongjae stared at her while on his thumb.

“I should probably go,” Yongsun whispered.

“That’s the second time you said that already and you’re still here”

“I mean, look at him. He looks like he doesn’t want his Mommy to leave him” Yongsun whined softly.

I glanced at Yongjae and saw him on his thumb as his eyes roamed around my café. I chuckled as I said, “Yeah… He’s so busy on his thumb and looking around. He’s in his own curious world already.” I glanced at Yongsun and saw her slightly pouting at me. “If you don’t want to go… you could always stay. I can…”

“I’m going now.” She grabbed her bag and coffee from the counter while I laughed at her. She greeted Hyejin and Byul goodbye before she walked to me and kissed Yongjae’s cheek. “I’ll see you very soon, Yongjae…” she whispered before she turned around and headed to the door.

I held one of Yongjae’s tiny hands and waved it at his Mommy. “Bye…” I said while Yongsun waved back at us and exited the café. I lifted Yongjae higher in my arms and kissed his cheek. “Let’s wait for your Mommy to come back, Yongjae,” I whispered to him as I headed to my office.

“I see we’re babysitting today also,” Byul said while Hyejin stood in front of me right away, blocking my path to my office.

“He’s so cute in person,” Hyejin said while I nodded in agreement. “Hi baby…” Hyejin whispered, smiling so wide at Yongjae. She glanced at me and asked, “Can I carry him?”

“Yeah… You washed your hands already, right?” I asked while Hyejin nodded at me. “Be careful with his head.” I passed Yongjae to Hyejin while Byul watched us closely with a soft smile on her face.

Hyejin shifted Yongjae in her arms and made him lean sideways on her body. Yongjae’s eyes wandered at the two new faces, curious about them. I grabbed the iced Americano Yongsun made for me and drank it while Hyejin and Byul introduced themselves and played with Yongjae.

“Wheein…” Hyejin called a few seconds later, sounding so distressed.

I walked towards them and saw Yongjae moving restlessly in her arms. He started whimpering as well. “Hold him tightly. Byul check his diaper. I’ll grab his milk” I said as I headed to the office where the baby bag is.

“How would I check his diaper? Should I open it? What am I supposed to do?” Byul asked, panicking already.

I thought I’d be the one panicking if I’m left with Yongjae without Yongsun around. It seems that these two are more anxious than me.

I grabbed the bottle in the back and headed back to the bar again. “Smell it” I said to Byul.

Her eyes widened as she nervously asked me, “Smell it?”

“Just do it, Byul” Hyejin demanded, starting to panic as well when Yongjae was crying hard already.

I smiled and nodded at Byul. She gulped hard before she turned to a fussing Yongjae. Hyejin was shifting from one foot to the other while gently rocking Yongjae in her arms. I bit my bottom lip and tried not to laugh at them while shaking the milk bottle in my hand.

“Keep him still,” Byul said to Hyejin.

“I’m trying to stop his cries. Just do it right away”

“Fine…” Byul whispered before I saw her nervously gulping hard. She slowly leaned forward and smelled Yongjae’s diaper. She glanced at Yongjae before she looked at me. “What now?”

I chuckled at her and shook my head. “Did it smell like he pooped?” I asked her while she shook her head right away.

“Wait. Let me do it again.” She leaned forward and smelled Yongjae’s diaper again. “No. It doesn’t smell like he pooped”

I nodded at her as I moved closer to Yongjae and Hyejin. Then I raised the milk bottle in Yongjae’s line of vision. “Yongjae… Milk yum yum” I whispered to him.

It effectively shut his cries down and turned them into soft whimpers. He hurriedly reached both of his hands to the bottle and started moving his lips like he’s already milk from the bottle, making me smile at his cuteness.

I opened the bottle and placed the bottle’s tip to his lips while he held it right away. I wiped the tears on his cheeks while he closed his eyes and drank his milk. I smiled at Hyejin and Byul who visibly sighed in relief.

“Before, we always panic every time he cries too.” I lifted Yongjae from Hyejin’s arms and leaned the little guy’s body to me. “You’ll be fine once you’ll be having your own kid someday”

“Spoken like a true mother” Hyejin said, smiling proudly at me.

“Yongsun is the mother. I’m just this little guy’s guardian”

“I don’t think so. I think you both are…” Hyejin brushed Yongjae’s hair before she patted my head. She stared at me intently as she asked, “What will happen to you if you have to part with him?”

I gulped hard and stared at Yongjae in my arms. I kissed his forehead before I headed back to my office. “I’ll deal with myself if that happens. Right now, he needs me while waiting for his Mommy to come back from work”

“Call us if you need anything,” Byul said, opening my office door for me. “We’ll try to keep it down so we won’t disturb him”

“Thank you”

“We’re always here for you, Wheeinie”

I turned around and smiled at both of them. “Thank you. For now, we need to open the café. You forgot to flip the sign by the door, that’s why we’re not receiving any customers yet”

“Oh, sh…”

“No cursing” I said as I narrowed my eyes at Byul.

She only smiled at me, showing off the dimples on her cheeks while I could only shake my head. I headed inside my office while Byul closed the door for me. Then I headed to the couch to sit down. I don’t think the no cursing rule could be applied to them but I hope they’ll keep it down and not curse out loud with Yongjae around.

 

My arms, by instinct, tightened its hold around the weight on top of me when I felt the thing I was lying down on shift. I felt a hand holding onto my arm next before it slowly pried my hold against the weight on my chest.

My arms tightened their hold again while my eyes instantly opened and glared at whoever was pulling my hand away. I stared at the person who’s smiling and laughing right at me, still disoriented when I suddenly got woken up from my sleep.

“I bought the crib so Yongjae can sleep in it and you can work or you can take a short rest while he’s still asleep. You’re making it useless if he’s just going to sleep on top of you while you hold him”

My eyebrows furrowed, still having a hard time keeping up with what’s happening and what she’s saying. “Huh?” I said, my voice croaking from just being woken up.

She chuckled softly as she reached a hand to me and cupped one of my cheeks. She caressed her thumb on it as she asked, “Did he play with your cheeks again?”

“Huh?”

She smiled wider and laughed louder this time. She held the baby on top of me and tried to pull it away from me. I shook my head and pouted at her while my arms never loosened their hold.

“Can I hold my son as well, Wheein?” she asked while I blinked my eyes at her, reality slowly sinking in while my consciousness was coming back to my body.

I glanced at the baby on top of me before I stared at her again. I looked around me and finally realized that I’m inside my office and sleeping on my couch with Yongjae on top of me. I glanced at Yongsun again who just watched me amusingly and realized that she’s sitting on the edge of the couch inside my office.

“Yongsun?” I asked before I cleared my throat. “Yongsun? How did you get here? When did you get here?” I mumbled while she softly laughed at me.

“You didn’t recognize me?”

“I was just a little bit disoriented. You suddenly woke me up”

She chuckled and stood up before she helped me sit up. I grunted and held Yongjae close to me as I stood up and walked towards the crib. I slowly placed him down there before I walked to the couch again and sat down. Yongsun was by the crib to cover Yongjae with the blanket and give him a kiss before she sat beside me.

“Hyejin said you were sleeping with Yongjae so she let me in here. I just got here when you woke up”

I nodded at her and leaned back, closing my eyes when I still felt sleepy and exhausted. I could even still feel my cheeks slightly stinging from Yongjae’s squeezes.

Yongjae decided that he’s toys bored him already and decided to play with my cheeks. Hyejin and Byul got worried when they heard me groaning and whimpering from the bar. They rushed into my office only to find a giggling and excited Yongjae while I suffered from pain. They just laughed at me before they resumed working.

Such friends.

“How’s your first day back at work?”

“I spent the whole day thinking about Yongjae and how you two are doing here”

“Hmm… He was having fun”

“Did he tire you out today?” Yongsun whispered beside me.

“Yeah…” I whispered, still not moving from slouching on the couch.

“I’m sorry”

“Why are you apologizing? I had fun too, Yongsun. It was tiring but I had so much fun playing with him” I mumbled, feeling my head tilting to the side when I’m slowly being pulled to slumber again.

“Come here” she whispered. I didn’t move because I didn't understand what she meant.

I suddenly felt an arm around my shoulders, bringing me back to consciousness. I glanced at Yongsun and instantly sat up straight, startled when she’s sitting close to me now. I gulped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter