Chapter Fifteen

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The talk with my Mom didn’t go well. I received a scolding that lasted for more than an hour. Yonghee was there with me to defend me but Mom wasn’t fazed with Yonghee’s presence. If Eric didn’t interrupt, it might have lasted longer. Mom looked like she had an energy to shout at me for the whole day. I think she disowned me already just because I chose not to pursue the wedding. She might’ve killed me as well if she found out that the reason the wedding was cancelled was because I fell in love with Wheein.

I didn’t just receive a scolding though. I received a thousand and a million insults from her. The most remarkable thing that she said was that marrying Eric was the one thing I did right. From what I interpreted, since I didn’t push through with it, it just meant that everything I did since I was a kid was wrong.

Having a degree was wrong. Having a decent job was wrong. Having a son that I love so much was wrong. Not marrying the person I do not love was wrong. Living independently and not relying on others were wrong. I could name every single thing I did in my life but it would all boil down to the fact that it’s all wrong.

What was wrong about it though? Was it because it’s not what she ideally wanted me to become? Was it because I didn’t reach her standards? I just simply could not understand it, but that didn’t mean I wasn’t hurt from all the things she said during my supposed wedding day.

I was supposed to go back to my apartment on that day. I ended up staying with Yonghee. We stayed in a room with two beds since we couldn’t share a single bed because of Yongjae. We might lay on him unintentionally.

I used to cry in my sister’s arms but having Yongjae with us, I couldn’t do that. I ended up silently crying beside Yongjae. I held one of his hands while he placed his other hand on my cheek, pouting at me and repeatedly called me when he saw me crying. His sweetness healed the wounds my Mom inflicted but scars still remained.

Wheein could’ve calmed me down so easily and might possibly erase these scars with just her holding me. It was hard without her that night but having my son and my older sister helped me survive the rest of the night of my supposed wedding day.

I unstrapped Yongjae from the carseat and slowly lifted him in my arms, careful not to wake him up. I leaned his body on mine right away and patted his back when he started moving, slightly swaying him in my arms to bring him back to sleep. I sighed in relief when he finally stayed after a few seconds.

I opened the backseat door and moved out before I gently closed the door. I glanced towards Eric by the trunk who’s unloading my suitcase. Today was supposed to be a moving day and this week was supposed to be our honeymoon. We’re not doing that anymore. Instead, Eric is driving me back to my apartment and I’d be confessing to Wheein. With regards to how I’m going to do that, I still have to figure it out.

“You okay? Need help?” I whispered to him, watching him carry Yongjae’s baby bag and unload two of my suitcases from the trunk.

“I’m good.” He tipped his chin towards Yongjae and asked, “Still sleeping?”

I tilted my head back to see Yongjae’s face and saw that he’s eyes were still closed. I smiled at him and kissed his temple before I turned to Eric. “Yeah… He won’t be awake anytime soon”

“Okay. Let’s head upstairs so you could put him down already”

I let Eric walk ahead of me on our way to the elevator. My instinct told me to run to Wheein’s café. My heart desired to see her right away. However, my mind said otherwise. After saying to her a million times that I couldn’t love her, I might just confuse her if I’d run to her right now and suddenly tell her that I love her. That would be weird and confusing on her part. I need to plan the words that I’m going to say to her. I need to show her how sincere I am.

When we got inside the elevator, I pressed the button to my room floor before I leaned on the wall and sighed heavily. I don’t know how I’m going to face Wheein later. I’ve never done this before. Eric was the one who confessed to me and made the first move. All I did was say yes and no to him.

“What’s wrong?”

I glanced towards Eric and saw him staring at me worriedly. “I don’t know what I’m going to say to Wheein.” I sighed heavily once again and gulped hard as I stared at the buttons in the elevator. “How did you do it?” I nervously asked him.

“Do what?”

“Confess… I don’t know. It was such a long time ago when you courted me. I couldn’t remember that anymore”

He softly chuckled while I frowned at him. He shook his head right away and said, “I’m not making fun of you. I just find this amusing. I’m about to give you tips on how to court Wheein, which is kind of ironic. I’m teaching the person I love how to pursue the person she loves. Ironic, right?”

“If you phrase it like that, it will be.” I pouted at him as I mumbled, “Aren’t we still friends? You said we’re staying as friends” I said while he nodded at me. “Then let’s just say that you are helping your friend. Simple” I said, smiling as I winked at him while he shook his head just as the elevator doors opened. I let him walk ahead of me again before I stepped out of the elevator and followed him towards my apartment.

“So friend, how can I help you, my friend?”

I softly kicked one of my suitcases while he flinched, surprised by it. “Now you’re being sarcastic” I whispered while he laughed at me.

“I’m just kidding,” he said before he stopped right in front of my apartment. “You don’t need tips from me, Yongsun. You know Wheein better than I do. You can just honestly tell her what you feel and I think you’ll be fine” he said as he keyed in the code to my apartment.

I like how there’s no tension between us anymore. I know deep down Eric might be hurting but he stood by his words of not being bitter about this. He owned his mistakes and promised that we stay as friends, still supporting each other like what we did when we used to date. I’m even more comfortable and relaxed around him now that I was able to figure things out.

I loved Eric. I really did love him. Now, I love Wheein. I love her all along and we wouldn’t have gone through all of those troubles if I had realized that right away.

When Wheein said to me the reasons why she loves me, that moment was supposed to be the day that I’d figure out I really love her. Instead, I questioned why my heart pounded so hard in my chest. I questioned why the way she sees me made me blush so hard. I questioned myself why I couldn’t stop smiling that night and kept on running in my head every single word she said to me.

I should’ve asked myself if I felt the same way too, but I chose to interpret those as being honored to receive her love. My body and emotions had given me signs that I’m pleased to know she loves me while my mind refused to acknowledge these signs because I’m very in denial.

“Okay… I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you”

“No problem, friend” he said teasingly, softly laughing when he saw me glaring at me.

The door to Wheein’s apartment suddenly pulled open, making me freeze on where I’m standing for a second. I hurriedly moved towards Eric and hid myself behind him, nervous to see Wheein right now when I had no idea what I’m supposed to tell her yet.

“What are you doing?” Eric whispered, looking at me with an amused glint in his eyes.

“Hide me. Cover me” I whispered as I docked and held Yongjae close to me so he wouldn’t fall.

“Show yourself to Wheein. Why are you hiding now? She might think you’re afraid of her”

“I am afraid of her.” I glared at Eric while he clamped his mouth close to stop himself from laughing. “I still don’t know what to say. I don’t want to show myself to her unprepared”

He gently pushed me away from him while I continued to glare at him and tried to hide from Wheein. “Show yourself. Don’t be a coward”

“I’m not being a coward. I just want to be prepared”

We both stayed still, our eyes widening at each other when we heard voices coming out of Wheein’s apartment. I furrowed my eyebrows when I couldn’t detect her voice and heard someone familiar instead.

I looked behind Eric and saw Mr. Jin, the apartment building manager, coming out of Wheein’s apartment with someone I don’t know. I walked around Eric and moved to Mr. Jin. “Excuse me, Mr. Jin. Mr. Jin?” I softly called out, still mindful of the sleeping Yongjae in my arms. I bowed to him and the stranger he’s with before I faced Mr. Jin again. “What’s happening? Where’s Wheein?”

“She didn’t tell you?” he asked while I furrowed my eyebrows even more and shook my head at him. “She moved out yesterday”

“But this month’s rental is not yet done. She still has about three weeks before she’d move out” I argued while my eyes roamed around his face, trying to make sense of what was happening through his face and finding answers I knew I couldn’t have just by staring at him intently.

“This room won’t be available until the end of her rental. We’re just accepting possible tenants to replace her right after that will be finished. Excuse me, Miss Kim. I still have to entertain the customer”

“Okay. Thank you…” I whispered absentmindedly as I took a peek inside Wheein’s.

It was empty already. She didn’t have much in her apartment before so it looked empty but now it’s completely empty. No appliances. No furniture. I had a peek of her bedroom too since all the doors were open and it’s empty as well. There was no bed there.

She really moved out. How am I supposed to confess to her now if she moved out already?

I turned towards Eric who was placing all my suitcases inside my apartment. I gently passed Yongjae to him and whispered, “Watch him for a while. Let me just go to Wheein’s café”

“What’s wrong? What happened? Why are there strangers in her apartment?”

“She moved out.” I grunted and held my breath as I pulled my arms from holding Yongjae. I patted his back while Eric rocked him in his arms so as not to disturb his sleep. “She moved out yesterday. Her apartment’s empty now”

“Okay. Go to her. I can handle Yongjae”

“Thank you.” I leaned down to kiss Yongjae’s head before I whispered, “I’ll be back soon”

I rushed towards the elevator and saw that it was still floors above mine. I couldn’t wait for it anymore so I turned towards the stairs and opted for it. I didn’t stop moving when I reached the main lobby and headed out right away, hoping that I could see Wheein in her café.

Damn the preparations! If the possibility of not seeing her is so high, I’ll just blurt out my confession to her and wouldn't care if it would make sense or not.

I pushed the door open and saw Hyejin and Byul behind the bar. Byul was tending to an order while Hyejin was dealing with two customers by the counter. I didn’t bother greeting them anymore and just went inside the bar, startling both of them while they stared at me, confused why I’m here.

“Where is she?” I asked them as I headed towards the kitchen. Empty. “Where’s Wheein?” I asked them again as I headed to her office door. I turned the door knob but cursed under my breath when it was locked. I knocked on her door loudly next. “Wheein! Where are you?” I called out as I continued to turn the door knob and knock on her door.

“What are you doing here?”

I turned around and saw Hyejin glaring at me. “I’m looking for Wheein. Where is she?”

“What’s wrong with you? You just scared one of our customers away. She’d be reporting you to the police right now and sue you with trespassing.” She held my arm and dragged me out of the bar but I resisted and pulled my arm from her, breathing heavily as I stared at Hyejin intently.

“Where is she? I’m not moving out of this café if you won’t tell me where she is. I won’t accept an apology and a lie this time. I need to see her. I need to talk to her”

Hyejin pushed me back and dragged me to the kitchen, her hands gripping on my arms so hard. She forcefully pushed me inside while I leaned a hand on one of the tables inside the kitchen when her push got me out balanced. She slammed the door behind her and faced me, glaring at me again.

“What is wrong with you?!” she asked, raising her voice at me this time as she pointed a finger right on my face. “You’re married already. She wanted to move on. What are you still doing here? I thought you decided to stop talking to her already. I thought you respected her decision to move on from you already. Why are you looking for her?”

“I wanted to say something to her” I said, my hands beside me when I felt so frustrated getting stuck with an angry Hyejin. I’m supposed to look for Wheein and talk to her. I didn’t come here to have a confrontation with Hyejin.

“You had your chance before!”

“How could I possibly tell her that I love her if I didn’t realize it before?!” I shouted, jumping on my heels from desperation and frustration.

“Well …” Hyejin whispered softly, dropping her glare and staring at me intently now.

My shoulders were moving erratically from my heavy breathing while the room was engulfed in silence. I gulped hard as I moved closer to Hyejin and held her arms, desperately seeking answers from her and silently asking her to cooperate with me.

“I cancelled the wedding. I’m not married. Eric and I talked things out before and settled with being friends. I couldn’t marry him. I dreaded being married to him because I don’t love him, Hyejin.” I squeezed her arms and whispered, “Now, please… Please tell me where Wheein is. Her apartment is empty. Our apartment manager said that she moved out. I don’t know where to find her. I need to find her and talk to her”

“And tell her how stupid you are for realizing it too late” she said with an amused smirk on her face. “Who would’ve known that the Kim Yongsun my best friend loves will finally return her affections?”

I released her shoulders and ran my fingers through my hair before I started pacing in front of her, getting stressed out about the situation. “Where is she?” I asked again.

“She moved out yesterday because you’d be moving out today. Are you still moving out?”

“No”

“You realized it a little bit late, Yongsun. She’s somewhere already”

“Is it far from here? I don’t care how far it is but I couldn’t afford to fly and chase her if she’d be out of the country”

“Answer my question first”

I stopped pacing and faced her while she looked at me with her arms crossed in front of her. “What?”

“Do you really love Wheein?”

“Are you doubting me?”

“If I am Wheein right now and this is your confession, I wouldn’t accept it. Do better”

“Why do I have to confess to you? I need to say this to Wheein. Not you” I said, groaning from frustration as I leaned back on the kitchen table and frowned at Hyejin.

“She’s my best friend. You hurt her plenty of times already. I don’t want her to be with you if you’re not serious with her. Also, I know where she is and you need to know where she is, so you need me more than I need you.” She smirked at me again wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter