Chapter Twenty Four

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongsun's POV

 

Yongjae is currently spending time with Eric right now. He’d be coming home any time soon since it’s almost dinner already. He doesn’t stay overnight with Eric. Eric is also not confident in having Yongjae stay overnight with him when it’s just the two of them. Wheein is the café with Hyejin and Byul to work.

Times when Yongjae stays with Eric is an opportunity for me and Wheein to focus on our work. She goes to the café, working on its expansion and facing her spreadsheets, which I often see on her computer. I’d be left in the apartment by myself. Wheein will come up for lunch or when she adorably whines about missing me before she goes back to her café.

While I was alone, I did some cleaning and did the laundry. I walked, fed, and even bathe Yongkeey. I take naps to rest. I wanted to go back to jogging but having to move around the apartment all the time felt enough of an exercise. Just by simply lifting Yongjae is even an exercise. My baby has grown bigger and heavier already. He wants to walk a lot now too but he still wants to be carried by his mommies.

I’m almost done with dinner when I heard the doorbell ring followed by a soft knocking. I glanced at the door, curious about who it was before I turned back to the food I was cooking. “Wait a second!”

I knew Wheein or Yongjae would be here any second. Wheein would just march in here right away. If it’s Yongjae and Eric, Eric would shout over the door. It’s probably Wheein’s older sister, Jessica. She usually visits us to check on Wheein and to play with Yongjae.

This would be awkward if it’s her. Wheein and Yongjae are both not here and I hadn’t experienced being alone with her. We talked but I couldn’t say we’re close. She still intimidates me.

I turned the stove off and covered the pot when I was done cooking. I placed the ladle aside before I headed towards the door. “One second” I said when there was another set of knocking on the door. I wiped my hands on the apron I’m wearing as I hurriedly walked towards the door before pulling it open.

I smiled when it was really Jessica and pulled the door wider, inviting her inside. “Yongjae is currently with Eric right now but he’ll be back here anytime soon. Wheein’s in the café but she’ll come up here for dinner. Would you want to wait for them? You should join us for dinner too”

I closed the door while Jessica was removing her heels, placing it in the shoe cabinet before wearing indoor slippers.

“Something smells good. What are you cooking?” she asked, briefly glancing at me before she walked further in the apartment.

“Samgyetang. Wheein wanted to eat it. I hope that’s okay”

She softly laughed as she said, “I bet she tells you what she wanted to eat and asks you to cook it for her”

“Actually… No”

“No?” she asked, stopping when we reached the kitchen to look at me.

I shook my head as I chuckled at her. “I just heard her talking about food to Yongjae and then she suddenly told him that she felt like wanting to eat samgyetang. She never really asked for me to cook anything for her”

“Really?” she asked, eyebrows raising up from disbelief.

I walked around her to go to the refrigerator and pulled out the pitcher before I grabbed a glass to offer water to her “Yeah… Why? Does she always ask what she wants to cook in your house?” I asked, turning around and placing the glass on the table as I motioned for her to sit down.

“She does. She’s basically a spoiled baby in the house; always gets what she wants. That’s why I was surprised.” She pulled the chair out and sat down, taking a sip of water from the glass I handed to her. “Does she help you here with cooking?”

“No… but I think only because she never had the opportunity to do so”

I started setting the table for us. Jessica stood up and helped me right away, grabbing things from me and arranging them on the table since she doesn’t know where the plates and other utensils are kept in the apartment.

“She’d be out walking Yongkeey, sometimes Yongjae would accompany her while I cooked our breakfast. Or she’d be feeding Yongkeey and Yongjae while I cooked something for us. Or she’d be working, like right now, while I cook for us” I said, continuing what I said earlier.

“I guess baby girl is not a baby anymore”

I laughed softly as I said, “Oh, she still is. She whines about sleeping some more or not wanting to go to your aunt’s clinic for Yongjae’s checkup. She doesn’t like watching Yongjae cry every time his immunizations are administered, so I think that must be why she doesn’t like it there.” I pointed at the mini car she gave Yongjae and laughed as I said, “That car over there, she uses it more than Yongjae”

“Glad that she’s still a baby,” Jessica said, laughing with me.

I sat across from her while we waited for Wheein to come back here. I glanced at the wall clock, wanting for Wheein or Yongjae to be here anytime soon since I don’t like being alone with Jessica. It’s slightly awkward if it’s just the two of us.

“I actually didn’t come here to see Yongjae or Wheein” she suddenly said, bringing my attention to her. “I came to talk to you”

I instantly gulped hard and felt really nervous the moment I heard that. Jessica is not bad. She just scares me so much. The fact that she’s coming for me is enough to make my insides tremble from fear.

“Relax…” she gently said, smiling amusingly at me. “I didn’t mean to scare you. Wheein has been scolding me plenty of times about that already”

“She told you that I’m scared of you?”

“She tells me a lot but she doesn’t tell me everything.” She sighed heavily as she leaned back and stared at the food in front of us. “She told me something that bothers her but I don’t know what exactly that is”

“And it has something to do with me?” I asked, getting even more nervous.

“Of course. She talks a lot about you and Yongjae” she said before she glanced up to smile at me. “I’m just here to talk, Yongsun. Please don’t be nervous. I’m just worried for my sister because it makes her anxious”

“I make her anxious?”

“No, no, no. It’s not like that” she said, chuckling at me now as she shook her head. “I honestly really don’t know because she only told me that she’s anxious. That’s all”

I bent my head down, my eyebrows furrowing from concentration. I have a feeling what this is about. I’ve been anxious myself and I’m trying to overcome it, trying to make it subtle so Wheein wouldn’t worry. I think she noticed already. After doing it plenty of times, she must’ve really noticed it.

“Do you know about it?” she asked.

I wasn’t able to answer her when we heard the door suddenly open, grabbing both of our attention.

“I’m here! Where’s Yongjae? Is Yongjae back? Are they back already? Where’s Yongjae?” Wheein mumbled as she removed her shoes and wore indoor slippers. “Is Yongjae here already? Yongsun… Oh, you’re here” she said, stopping by the doorstep when she saw her older sister sitting with me at the dining table. “Why are you here?” she asked, slightly pouting from confusion.

Jessica turned to me and said, “I’m starting to think that she only stayed with you because of Yongjae”

“What? No!” Wheein whined while her older sister winked at me, definitely teasing Wheein again. “No, I do not,” Wheein said, stomping her foot once while still pouting at her older sister. “Why are you here?” she asked again as she approached us.

“I’m here to eat your share of dinner”

“What? No! Go home!” she whined again while I just watched them bicker, entertained by them.

Every time one of her family members is around, she looks like a real baby. When it’s just us, I could see it sometimes too but not as often as when her family is around, especially her older sister.

“Samgyetang? You cooked samgyetang?” she asked me the moment she reached the table while I nodded at her. She smiled so wide and sat down beside me right away. “Let’s eat. I’m hungry already.” She picked up her utensils and stared at the pot of samgyetang, her tongue running through her lips before she visibly gulped hard beside me.

“You haven’t even greeted either one of us, baby girl”

She hurriedly placed her chopsticks down and immediately stood up. “Sorry” she mumbled, walking around to kiss her older sister’s cheek. “I was really hungry. I’ve been wanting to eat this one too. I’m sorry”

Then she walked back to the chair she was sitting on. Instead of picking up her chopsticks, she moved her chair closer to me and wrapped her arms around my waist, smiling so wide at me to fully display her dimple.

“Hi” she whispered softly, which made me laugh at her.

I pressed a finger at her dimple before I cupped her cheek and wrapped my other arm around her. “Are you trying to say sorry through your dimple?”

“It’s still not working?” she asked, pouting at me now.

“No. You know it never works for me.” I leaned down and kissed her lips before kissing her dimpled cheek. “You said you’re hungry already. We should probably eat now”

“One more” she whispered before she leaned forward and kissed me. She pulled back and smiled so wide at me while I playfully rolled my eyes at her. She kissed my shoulder and whispered, “I love you. Thanks for the food”

“No problem. Now, eat. We’ve been waiting for you”

“You should’ve started eating before me if you were hungry already”

“We’ll definitely do that next time and leave you with nothing” Jessica said, laughing when Wheein pouted at her once again.

“Why are you even here?”

“To eat your share. Yongsun said I can have your share”

“Ah…” Wheein looked at me, hanging open from disbelief. “Wha… Did you… Really?” she stuttered.

I laughed at her while her older sister was full out laughing at this point, stomping her foot and slamming her hand on her thigh. Wheein glared at Jessica while Jessica ignored it and continued laughing. Wheein pouted at me next, her shoulders dropping as she slouched on her chair.

I pulled her closer to me and repeatedly kissed her pouting lips until she kissed me back. I pinched her cheek and whispered, “Of course not. Why would you think I’ll do that? Your sister was just teasing you.” I kissed her forehead and said, “Eat so you could shower and sleep. You looked tired already”

“Okay…” she whispered, sighing as she faced the table again.

“I love you, baby girl” Jessica said, sounding serious now as she smiled at Wheein.

“I love you too” Wheein mumbled before she stuffed with food, making her older sister smile wider.

Wheein told me one time that she and Jessica are step sisters and that their parents got married back when they were still very young. Wheein’s Mom has been Jessica’s mother ever since and so is Jessica’s Dad to Wheein. Despite not being related by blood, it’s obvious how they love each other as sisters even without saying it to each other.

Wheein let Jessica and Jessica would escape every single time. Jessica would laugh at Wheein while Wheein would almost turn red from pouting or from embarrassment. Jessica, on the other hand, would always watch over Wheein, taking care of Wheein like the big sister that she is. It’s exactly just like me and Yonghee.

“You go shower, baby girl. I’ll help Yongsun with the dishes” Jessica said to Wheein when we were done eating dinner.

“Are you sure?”

“Yup.” Jessica has already started picking up plates and bowls from the table, leaving no room for Wheein to argue any longer.

“Okay. Thank you.” Wheein kissed my arm before we both stood up. “Thanks for dinner. It was delicious. I’m very full because of it.” She started walking backwards towards the bedroom as she said, “Tell me if Yongjae is already here so I can watch over him while you’re still busy with the dishes”

I smiled and nodded at her while she cheekily smiled back at me before she went inside the bedroom.

Jessica and I brought all the dishes to the sink and started cleaning them. She washed and rinsed the soap before passing it to me. I was holding a towel to dry them before placing them back in the cabinets.

I know she wanted to be alone with me because of what we were talking about before Wheein arrived. She was taking her time though, focused on washing the plates so I kept quiet and just waited for her.

“So…” she whispered after a few moments of not talking with me, glancing at me before she trained her eyes on the dishes again. “Do you know about it?”

“I think I knew something about it but I don’t know what exactly it is. She never talked to me about that so I could only think of what it is”

“It involves you so it definitely has something to do with you both. She tends to overthink too and I think you’re aware of how she easily gets nervous, right?”

“I do…”

“I think that’s why she never tells you. Maybe she’s just overthinking but she won’t be thinking about it if it’s really nothing. If she thinks and feels that there’s nothing really wrong”

“I guess so…”

“I’m not here to get in the middle of your relationship with my sister. I’m just worried because all the updates I got from her sounded like she’s anxious about something. She really loves you and she’s afraid of losing you. I don’t like how her anxiety might be the reason why something bad would happen in your relationship. I’m aware of it and I don’t want to regret not doing anything before everything’s too late”

She passed me the last plate before she washed and dried her hands. She faced me and leaned her hips on the sink. I placed the plate back in the cabinet and hung the towel for washing tomorrow before I mirrored her position to face her.

“Did you get what I mean?”

“I do… Don’t worry”

She gave me a polite smile as she said, “It’s really up to you both to figure things out. I’m out of it already. I can only reach up to this point”

“I don’t know how I’ll approach her about this. She doesn’t even show to me that she’s anxious about something”

“You could always talk” she said while I just absentmindedly nodded at her, my mind already confused on what I should do. “There’s nothing wrong with trying, right?”

I looked at her and smiled when I saw the knowing smirk on her face. “Yup. How’s your trying going on, by the way?”

She scoffed and rolled her eyes at me, making me laugh at her. “I know there’s nothing wrong about it but it’s not that easy as well. I’m taking my time and doing things slowly. I’ll get there someday”

“I know you will”

“And so you will too” she said as she looked at me intently. “Please don’t leave her. I like how she is around you, including Mom and Dad. She looked so mature even though she still looked like our baby”

“I did that once and regretted it until now. I’m not letting that happen” I said confidently.

“Thank you”

The doorbell ringing and a knock on the door grabbed our attention. We glanced towards it while the bedroom door suddenly opened before Wheein hurriedly walked out.

“Is it Yongjae?” she asked me and her sister, her hair still wet from the shower.

“We’re here!” Eric shouted from the other side of the front door, answering Wheein’s question.

“Yongjae!” Wheein shouted as she excitedly ran towards the door with a huge smile on her face.

“I should probably go. It’s late already” Jessica said, walking towards the front door while I followed behind her. “Let me just greet your son then I’ll go. Thanks for the dinner, Yongsun. It was really delicious”

“Sure and no problem. Thank you for coming here just to talk to me too”

Jessica walked towards Eric, Yongjae, and Wheein while I stayed by the living room to watch them. Wheein lifted Yongjae from Eric, which was immediately intercepted by her older sister. Jessica grabbed Yongjae from Wheein before she turned her back to Wheein, blocking Wheei

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter