Chapter Nineteen

Asymptotes & Ellipses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today’s my sixth and last day here in Jeonju. This wasn’t supposed to be my last but I couldn’t stay any longer here. The result of my coming here didn’t go with how I wished things would turn out. I know the risks and I took the risks. I just couldn’t force things to go with how I wanted them to be.

I took a huge deep breath as I pushed the café door open. This would be the last time I’d be coming here and I’m only here to say goodbye to Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung. I gained friends and I don’t want to just leave Jeonju without saying goodbye to them personally.

I smiled and waved at the two of them behind the bar. They lazily waved back, making me chuckle at them. They still looked so tired. I still am tired too because of the things that we did last night but I had so much fun as well.

We went out with their friends, who welcomed me so easily. They brought me to this street that’s filled with various selection of street food. We ate dinner before we headed to this carnival. I just recovered from my fever so I didn’t want to join them with the rides. However, the rides weren’t the reason why we went there. They wanted to play the games to win toys as gifts for Yongjae. I went back to my hotel room with an armful of stuff toys, a water gun, a toy gun and a rubber ball. We also won candies and chocolates, which is something my son couldn’t eat yet so we ate them instead. The water and toy guns were something I had to hide from Yongjae. I don’t think it’s a good toy for him to play yet.

“Good morning” I said to the two of them.

“Good morning. Mint choco?” Yoonyoung asked while I sofly laughed and nodded at her.

“I told you we should’ve gone home earlier since you and your friends still have work”

“It’s okay. We’re used to it.” She sadly smiled at me as I handed her my payment. “How’s your last night here in Jeonju?”

“I had fun because of the two of you. And about that…” I whispered as I started fidgeting with the zipper of my wallet, feeling sad that I had to say goodbye to them already. “I just wanted to say…” I wasn’t able to finish what I said when Wheein’s office door opened, grabbing my attention. I furrowed my eyebrows at her while she carefully walked out of her office. “What happened to you?” I said it out loud before I could even think about it.

Wheein stopped walking and looked at me, surprised by me. Her eyes bounced between me and her employees, looking so confused of what she was going to do with all the attention on her. Then she gulped hard and averted our gazes before she just stared at the plastic container of food she was holding.

She looked shy and nervous. She looked just like the Wheein I first met. Just like the Wheein I knew back in Seoul. Did something happen? Based on the bandages wrapped around her right hand, I knew something happened. But did something happen for her to act like her normal self again? No matter what it is, my decision to go back to Seoul is final. I’ll be fulfilling my promise to not disturb her and Taeyeon anymore.

I’ll just make today a tiny bit of an exception. Screw the no talking for now. She’s hurt and I couldn’t stand not doing anything when she’s hurt. I still love her even though my chest is aching right now just by looking at her, knowing that I couldn’t have her.

“Okay. Give me that” I said to Wheein as I walked inside the bar and grabbed her iced Americano cup and container that looks like it was bought from a convenience store. “Follow me”

“Yongsun…” she whispered softly while I walked out of the bar and sat on the nearby table.

I placed her cup and container down while she timidly sat across from me. I patted the chair beside me and said, “Sit beside me.” I opened her chicken salad and mixed it with the ranch dressing while she walked around the table and shyly sat beside me. “I’m just going to help you eat. This won’t take long. I won’t stay here long as well. If Taeyeon comes here later, she can help you then I’ll go”

“I don’t think she’ll come here”

“Hmm…” What does she even mean by that?

I turned towards her and cupped her chin as I raised the fork to feed her. She opened right away, her face turning red from her blush. Then she bent her head low and fidgeted with her cup as she chewed her food. I glanced at her bandaged hand, one second away from asking her what happened but constantly stopped myself.

“I can just feed myself” she mumbled while I ignored that and just continued feeding her.

We were silent the whole time she was eating. She’d nervously glance at me and would instantly avert her gaze before hurriedly grabbing her cup and taking a sip from it. Her face was blushing red the whole time too.

Kyungwoo suddenly appeared by our table and placed my mint choco drink on the table. “Did you have fun last night?” he whispered while I smiled and nodded at him right away.

“I did. Although I don’t think I could allow Yongjae to use some of the toys you gave him.” I turned to Wheein again and raised the fork to her lips as I cupped her chin. “Open” I whispered to her when she was just looking at me and Kyungwoo curiously.

“He can use them when he’s a big boy already,” Kyungwoo suggested as he chuckled softly.

“I do not approve of my son playing with guns even if he’s already a big boy.” I turned to Kyungwoo who’s laughing at me while I shook my head at him and forked the remaining salad in Wheein’s breakfast. “I’m not ready for him to grow up as well”

“We’ll meet him later, right?” he excitedly asked.

“Of course! I’ll introduce him to you and Yoonyoung later when he comes here”

“Yongjae’s coming here?” Wheein whispered beside me.

I nodded before I turned to her and fed her her remaining salad. “Eric will bring Yongjae with him. They’re picking me up later.” I placed the forked inside the plastic container and closed it. I grabbed my drink before I stood up, carrying the empty container with me. “I’ll be going back to Seoul so you don’t have to worry about me showing up to your café anymore”

I nodded at her while she pouted at her cup. I headed to the trash bin, hearing her whisper my name before I threw her empty container. I took huge gulps of my mint chocolate drink before I glanced at the bar.

Yoonyoung was standing behind the cash register while a line started forming in front of her. Wheein sighed heavily before she stood up and marched back to the bar, her shoulders weighing down on her. She stood beside Yoonyoung, telling Yoonyoung that she’d handle the cash register. Yoonyoung reluctantly moved to help Kyungwoo with the drinks while Wheein struggled to deal with the cash register using her left hand.

I quickly emptied my mint chocolate drink before I walked towards Wheein. I still have to properly say goodbye to Yoonyoung and Kyungwoo. I don’t have anything to do except wait for the rush of customers to be done and wait for Eric and Yongjae. I might as well be useful. I could also use this opportunity to spend time with Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung before I go back home.

“Let me handle that,” I said to Wheein as I tied my hair up in a ponytail. “You’re having trouble using your left hand. You taught me how to use this before. I can handle it”

“What?” she asked, confused at me.

I gently pushed her to the side and stood in front of the cash register while she pouted in protest. “I’m bad at the latte art. I could only draw sticks and blobs so I can’t help with the drinks. Stay in your office and just let me handle this until the morning rush dies”

“What? I thought… You shouldn’t… But…” she mumbled, stuttering before she pouted at me when I gave her a pointed look.

“Oh, we have a new employee” Yoonyoung teasingly said while I chuckled at her.

“This new employee won’t be staying long though.” I turned to the customer and smiled at him. “Good morning, sir. What can I get you?” I said to him.

“I’ll just stay here in case you don’t know how to use the cash register” Wheein mumbled behind me.

“Stay in the office. Taeyeon might see us. I don’t want her to misinterpret what’s happening here” I mumbled to Wheein. I smoothly used the cash register, took out some bills for change, and handed it to the customer before I told him to move to the side to wait for his drink so I could entertain the next customer.

“She’s not coming here…” she whispered again while I just nodded my head.

I was slow at first because I didn’t memorize all the buttons in the cash register. They served a wider variety of drinks here than in Seoul too. I didn’t memorize the prices for drinks as well. Wheein might be faster on this even with her left hand than me but I refused to step aside. Yoonyoung would help me answer the questions or sometimes Wheein would. After a few minutes of manning the cash register, I was getting the hang of it. I like the challenge as well. It made me so determined to do better.

I smiled at the last customer and said, “Good morning, sir. What can I get you?”

He placed an arm on the bar and leaned closer to me as he gave me a flirtatious smile. I mentally rolled my eyes at him but continued to smile since he’s a customer. If I could glare at him, I would’ve done it since I saw that smirk on his face.

“Any recommendations from the pretty lady” he lazily drawled. He probably had said this line a million times already. His voice, his pronunciation, his smile, and his posture seemed so practiced.

“I recommend the mint chocolate drink here, sir. Would you like that one?” I asked, my smile faltering when I’m one second away from glaring at him.

“Oh, so you like anything mint?” he said, he’s smirk still in place.

Wheein suddenly stood close to me. I briefly glanced at her and saw her glaring at the guy in front of me. I looked at the guy again and saw him looking at Wheein weirdly. I closed my eyes and sighed heavily. What are these two doing?

“Should I get you the mint chocolate, sir?” I asked again, forcing him to place his order right away.

“Get a large cup of that one. I’ll have a cappuccino and your number please. I’m Hyunsik, by the way” he said, handing me his card for the payment.

I grabbed his card and glanced at his hand that was reaching towards me for a hand shake. I ignored it and proceeded with processing his order in the cash register. “Your name is not necessary for the drink, sir.” I handed him his receipt and his card back as I said, “There’s a number in your receipt. The baristas will just call your number to give you your drink.” I pointed towards the waiting area and said, “You can wait for your drinks there, sir. “ I smiled at him again and said, “Have a nice day. I hope you’ll enjoy your drink”

He smiled so wide at me, accepting my indirect rejection as a challenge. Since he was the last customer, he didn’t bother stepping aside and just waited right in front of me.

“Please wait to the side, sir” Wheein whispered between clenched teeth.

The guy looked at Wheein weirdly again and asked, “What’s wrong with you?”

“Please don’t mind her” I said while Wheein glared at me this time. “Please move to the waiting area so I can entertain the next customer”

“There’s no next customer yet”

“So I can entertain an incoming customer. You’re blocking my view of the entrance, sir” I said, my smile gone now as I gave him a pointed look.

He seemed like he still wanted to protest some more but got stopped when Kyungwoo called his number. He walked towards the waiting area and grabbed his drinks. He quickly walked back in front of me again and handed me the large mint chocolate drink.

“I’ll definitely enjoy my coffee if you’ll sit with me”

I quickly shook my head and said, “Oh, no. I don’t drink mint chocolate. I don’t like it”

He stared at the cup before he looked at me, his eyebrows furrowing from confusion. “You recommended this to me, right?”

“I did. I didn’t say that I drink it though. I think you misunderstood, sir.” I glanced behind him, sighing in relief when I saw two incoming customers. I smiled at him again and said, “If you may, please step aside, sir. I’d like to entertain the next customers”

“But what about this?” he asked, raising the cup while I shrugged my shoulders at him.

“Excuse me,” the customer behind him said, forcing him to move aside.

“That was some good acting” Yoonyoung whispered beside me while I winked and smiled at her before I entertained the customer.

When the morning rush was done, I leaned both of my hands on the bar and stretched back as I groaned loudly. I wiggled my feet from the slight sore of standing for almost an hour while I stretched my neck to the side. Then I stood up and glanced at the clock in the café. Yongjae would be here any minute now. I’m really excited to see him again. Then I remembered that I have to say goodbye to Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung first.

“What was that?” Wheein asked before I could even turn to Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung by the espresso machines.

I thought we’re not in speaking terms. Why is she talking to me a lot now? As much as I wanted to stick with that though, I didn’t have the energy to put up a fight. Staying silent and ignoring her took up more energy than simply responding to her.

I’m too tired to be mad at her as well. All I’m feeling right now is an intense longing for the friends I met and for Wheein. I haven’t even left yet but I already missed them, especially Wheein. The anger I felt towards her last night died down so easily before I went back to feeling lonely and regretful.

I kept on thinking how things right now would be if I had just realized it right away that I love her. We can’t even be friends anymore since she insisted on staying a distance away from me. I’m not looking forward to moving on from her yet. I’m not ready to give up but I couldn’t force myself to her. That’s just pitiful.

“What was what?” I asked, turning to face Wheein and saw her glaring at me.

“That thing with the guy”

I slightly furrowed my eyebrows, confused by her. “Which guy? What thing?”

“The guy who bought you mint chocolate. What was that?” she asked, pouting at me now while she clenched her left hand into a small fist. Her tiny fist reminded me of Yongjae’s tiny hand.

“Oh. I was just taking his order”

“You were flirting with him. You were flirting with each other”

“Okay, wait. Hold up”

Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung were behind me and I could clearly hear them snickering behind me. Wheein glared at the two of them, stopping their snickers right away.

“Go to work”

“We’re already working. It’s just there’s nothing we could do as of the moment, boss” Yoonyoung teasingly said.

“Go do something else”

“Yes, boss. We’re cleaning the bar as of the moment” Kyungwoo said teasingly this time.

I bit the inside of my cheek and tried not to laugh at them. They’re definitely teasing Wheein, which reminded me of how Hyejin and Byul would tease Wheein. It’s just that Hyejin would scold Wheein as well and ask her around to do something.

Wheein pouted at them before she directed her attention to me. “Why were you flirting with each other?”

“He was flirting with me. I wasn’t. I was just dealing with him properly since he’s still a customer. And besides, what’s wrong with that?”

“You’re married already. Why are you still flirting with someone else?”

“I’m not married. How many times have I told you that? I cancelled the wedding right on our wedding day because I realized that I love someone else, Wheein. But that was too late already. Right, Wheein? I guess I’m back to being single. I could flirt with whoever I want to. There’s nothing wrong in that” I said as I watched her reaction closely.

She only pouted at me before she bent her head low and didn’t say anything else.

I turned to face Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung, smiling sadly at them. I moved to hug Yoonyoung first and whispered, “I’d be going soon. Thank you for everything”

“I’m going to miss you”

“Me too. I wished to visit you and Kyungwoo as often as I could but I have work and a son to take care of. I’ll call you or text you though.” I leaned back and smiled at her so I wouldn’t cry. “Watch over her for me” I whispered softly while she nodded at me.

I hugged Kyungwoo next. “Thank you…” I whispered softly. “You’re my first friend here. I’m glad I met you and Yoonyoung”

“I’m glad I met you too. Call us often and don’t you dare forget about us”

I chuckled as I patted his back before I leaned back. “I should be the one saying that. I’ll call you as much as I could”

Our goodbyes were cut short when my phone rang. I grabbed my phone from my bag and saw that Eric was calling me. I answered his call right away, knowing that they’re already here.

“Hello”

“We’re almost at your hotel. Like really almost there”

“Don’t go to the hotel. I’m in the café right now. Can you park here instead?”

“Then we’re here already. End the call for me”

I glanced outside and smiled when I saw Eric’s car passing by. I ended the call and rushed out of the café to see Yongjae. I placed my phone in my bag and waited for Eric to park the car.

I headed to the backseat and opened the door the moment he parked the car. I unslung my bag and placed it on the passenger seat before I climbed inside, my eyes on the little guy who’s chewing on a rubber bunny.

“Yongjae… Look who’s here, baby…” I whispered to him, grabbing his attention right away. “It’s Mommy, little guy”

He glanced at me and stopped chewing his bunny. He smiled at me right away and wiggled his arms and legs, accidentally throwing his bunny. “Mommy!” he shrieked out loud before he giggled.

I hurriedly unfastened him from his car seat and lifted him up in my arms. Then I hugged him tightly as I buried my face on his hair. “Mommy’s here. Mommy won’t leave you again, little guy. I missed you.” I showered kisses all over his face, making him giggle even more while I felt tears flowing down my cheeks.

He suddenly smacked my shoulder before he mumbled, “Bad…” He cupped my cheeks next while I closed my eyes and held him close to me. He suddenly leaned his forehead on mine and breathed deeply.

I have my life here in my arms already. I’m not parting with him anymore. Reconnecting with him made my heart feel at ease. As much as I wanted to pursue Wheein, Yongjae is my life. He’s far more important to me than myself. He would always be my priority no matter what.

“I’m sorry… Mommy won’t go away anymore.” I smiled at him when he was patting his hand on my cheeks, wiping the tears on them. “I love you, Yongjae…”

“Wa… byu…” he whispered back. He never failed to say it back to me despite being away from him.

I hugged him tightly and buried my face on his hair, inhaling his baby scent. We stayed sitting like that until he started shifting in my arms. I pulled back and smiled at him again. “Kiss” I whispered and puckered my lips while he leaned forward and kissed me right away. Then I showered kisses all over his face, making him giggle. “Who’s my good boy? Who’s Mommy’s good boy, little guy?” I whispered in between kisses before I giggled with him when his laugh went louder.

Yup… I could live with just me and my son. His hugs, kisses, and giggles are all I need in life.

I sat Yongjae on my lap before I looked at Eric who was silently watching us from the driver seat. “Thank you” I said as I smiled at him.

“Thank you too” he said, smiling back at me as he nodded his head.

“Can we get inside first? I wanted to introduce Yongjae to Kyungwoo and Yoonyoung”

“Of course”

I lifted Yongjae in my arms before I climbed out of the car. I kicked the door behind me to close it and smiled at my son. “I miss you…” I whispered to him as I snuggled my nose on his cute little nose.

“Mish… yu…” he whispered while I chuckled at him, my chest swelling with pride for him.

“Hug Mommy” I said as I started walking towards the café with Eric following behind me.

Yongjae wrapped his tiny arms around my shoulders. Then he pressed his cheek to mine. I missed this. I missed my son so much.

“Mommy made friends here, Yongjae. Did you make friends too?” I asked him while he only mumbled his answer to me, not sure what he meant by that.

Yongjae pulled away from my cheek and started looking around us. Eric jogged ahead and opened the door for me when we reached the entrance. I thanked him and went ahead first

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter