o25 || bliss

the pursuit of happiness
 
25
 
bliss
Jeno's request turned the two adults involved all flustered. Yerim went home not long after that, feeling embarrassed and shy, and the same thing happened to Jaehyun. If anything, he had it worse. Jeno had been pestering him all day long, asking him to practically marry Yerim.

It was entertaining for his whole family because they kept teasing him about it. It didn't help either that Jeno kept mentioning it and even asked his parents and his hell of a brother if it's okay to make Yerim his mom. Needless to say, the Jungs enjoyed teasing the life out of their eldest son about it.
It's not exactly okay for the couple. The following days, they chose to put some distance between them to sort their feelings first. And Jeno was not okay with that.

The kid kept asking where his future mother went and why she didn't call or come. And Jaehyun didn't know how to answer that. But it's already Friday, meaning the weekend is coming and that's when Yerim is scheduled to stay over. Jaehyun didn't even know if Yerim would come after the awkward moment last week.

Seems like the kid missed Yerim so much that he cried, apologizing to Jaehyun for pestering him to make Yerim his mom. The boy genuinely thought Yerim didn't come to see him because of that. Which was not completely wrong actually.

But still, the adults know they have to get over the awkwardness and start explaining. Jeno is a kid so he didn't understand the process of dating and getting married. The adults are supposed to explain this to him instead of running away and being shy.

So, Jaehyun finally gathered his balls and gave her a call. To be honest, he missed her like crazy and he was close to crying when he finally heard her voice again after nearly a week. He told her Jeno missed her and actually cried from really wanting to see her, which guilt tripped her. Hard.

She didn't know what possessed her but she ended up offering to take a day off this Friday to pick Jeno and Sungchan up, and stayed over for an extra day.

Jeno was exhilarated, Jaehyun was relieved, and Yerim was utterly nervous at her own decision.
When she showed up in the kindergarten, Jeno cried non-stop from happiness which shocked her and also gathered a lot of attention from parents and teacher since she looked like a mother who had just abandoned her own son.

Jeno spent the rest of his day plastering himself to Yerim's side, and even the baby, Sungchan, seemed like he didn't want to let Yerim go either.
Jaehyun knows exactly what's waiting for him at home but still he's surprised when he sees Yerim cooking in his kitchen, Jeno sticking like glue to her side, and Sungchan babbling happily on his high chair next to her.
"Oh, you're home," she greeted him awkwardly as she turned off the stove.

Normally, Jaehyun would come and kiss the life out of her when he just met her but given the awkward circumstances they're currently in, he settled down by giving her an awkward smile.

"What are you making?" He asked as he took off his suit and loosened his tie.

"Soy noodles, Jeno asked for that," she replied as she divided the noodles into three different bowls.

"Are you happy now that Yerim imo is here, son?" Jaehyun asked as he ruffled his son's hair.

The boy nodded gleefully.
The two of them chose not to touch the ‘making Yerim as Jeno's mother’ topic. They decided on spoiling the boy instead. They went to the museum the next day, and then brought the kids to Auntie Han's noodle shop afterwards. The lady genuinely thought they're already married without inviting her which makes it a bit awkward since they have to explain that they're still dating and when Jeno heard it he was a bit upset since he's still pining on the idea of having Yerim as his mother.

Jaehyun avoided talking about it in fear of making Yerim awkward even though ignoring the topic actually makes it even more awkward. Especially since Jeno demanded all four of them to sleep in the same room as always, not understanding how the couple actually felt.

But after two nights of pure awkwardness, Jaehyun felt the need to address this problem. He too wanted to be normal around her again, to hug and kiss her without turning everything awkward. To be honest he missed her so much. And so, after the two kids were asleep, he invited her to talk.
"Can we talk outside? I think… we're going to need the fresh air," Yerim said as she peeled herself away from Jeno's embrace.

"The balcony?"

"Sure," Yerim nodded before going out first. She regretted it immediately as she glanced inside to see Jaehyun still making barriers for Sungchan. It's damn cold!

"It's actually cold," Jaehyun said as he stepped out. He went back inside and gave her one of his hoodies to warm her up.

"Thanks," she muttered as she put it on, being careful with her left arm which was still in a cast.

They maintained an awkward silence as they stared at the view before them. Yerim chose to examine the lights coming from Seoul skyscrapers while Jaehyun toyed with the small box inside his pajama pants' pocket.

"Ugh, I don't like being awkward with you," he finally decided to break the silence.
She turned to face him and both of them had red cheeks due to both embarrassment and the cold air.

She chuckled, "I know. Me too."

"Good, because I missed you like crazy. Come here," Jaehyun sighed in relief as he pulled her into his embrace.

She tensed for a moment before finally relaxing. She went crazy the past two days being in the same room as him, smelling his scent, brushing hands together, but not being able to hold him like this in fear of making things awkward.

How foolish of them, she thought. Because it felt really good to be with him like this. She put her healthy arm around his torso and sighed happily as she enjoyed the warmth he's emanating.

"God, let's not be awkward in the future, okay? I went insane without you this week," he said as he buried his face in her hair, hugging her tight while being careful not to crush on her fractured arm.

"Well, I can't help it when Jeno blurted things out so innocently like that all the time," she mumbled against his shoulder. She felt his chest rumbling as he chuckled.

"Which reminded me that we really need to talk about that," he grinned as he pulled away

She groaned and buried her face in his chest, pulling him back in, perfectly content with the position. Plus, she didn’t want him to see how red her face had become.

"You don't know how stressed out I am with Jeno asking me the same question at least fifty times a day," he chuckled as he swayed their body slowly from side to side, trying to fight off the cold.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled apologetically.

"Hey, why are you sorry?" He chuckled again as he pulled away to examine her face.

"That morning when you were still asleep with Sungchanie, I had a pretty… serious… talk with Jeno."

He furrowed his brows and Yerim smiled as she pressed a finger to smooth out the crease between his brows.
"I told him… a PG version of basically how much of a mess my family is. I don't know how it got there and then he told me the same thing he had told you before of how he was jealous of his friends that have a mother. I was just joking by asking if he really wants me as a mother. I even told him I'm probably not perfect as a mother. But then he started begging me to allow him to call me eomma and practically making me his mother. I joked saying that he should ask you first but I didn't expect him to really ask you that immediately."
Jaehyun nodded in understanding.

"Well... you know my answer anyway. You shouldn't have made him ask. It's pointless and it makes things awkward," Jaehyun shrugged.

"Huh? How would I know your answer?" She blinked her eyes in confusion.

"Yerim, my dear, I have established it before, if I would marry anyone and make her the mother of my kids, then that person would be you. With Jeno asking me about that in every chance he had, it tempted me to just make it real soon," he sighed as he cupped her cheeks.

Yerim blushed and bit her bottom lip in embarrassment at Jaehyun's words.

"You don't know how crazy you made me feel in the past days, Rim. Seeing you in my kitchen cooking and welcoming me home from work, reading bedtime stories to my kids... Having you as the last thing I saw at night and the first thing I saw in the morning... Going on a family trip with you, hearing my sons call you their mother... "

Jaehyun sighed as he brushed her hair away, which was flying due to the night wind. He tightened the strings of his hoodie that she wore and playfully pinched her nose.

"Even now seeing you in my clothes... God, Yerim, you made it very hard for me. It to be able to experience all of that only on the weekends. I want to be able to do it every day. Waking up with you, cooking breakfast together, prepping the kids' lunch. And then driving you to work and going over to your cafe for lunch. I want to pick you up from work, and then we can eat dinner together. After that we'll read the kids their bedtime stories and sing them to sleep, and I would kiss you good night and dream happily of our family while I sleep soundly with all of you in my bed. Gosh, I can't wait for that time to finally come," he breathed out.
Yerim felt her cheeks reddening at Jaehyun's sudden confession.

"Did you just unknowingly propose to me, huh?" She to mask her own shyness.
He chuckled and nodded, "Didn't intend to propose to you like this, but yeah, I want to be with you all the time so bad to this point of desperation."

"Too bad I was expecting a more romantic proposal from you," she pretended to be offended.

"I never pegged you to be that kind of girl, but oh well, fine with me," he grinned before detaching himself from her embrace.
She frowned but he was smirking as he retrieved the box that thankfully he brought inside his pajama pants.

She balked immediately when he went down on one knee and flashed out a black velvet box containing a ring, grinning widely.
"You... you cunning guy!"

"So, Kim Yerim, what do you say? Will you marry this desperate man right here?" He grinned.

She was immediately overwhelmed with emotions; a mixture of being touched, shocked, and happy.
"Stand up, you fool! You do know my left arm is in a cast, right?"
Jaehyun blinked in realization as he stood up. He took out the ring and carefully slipped it into her ring finger. He grinned like a fool when he saw how it fit her finger perfectly and that he managed to put it on despite her arm in a cast and on a sling.
"You do realize I haven't said yes, right?"

He chuckled before kissing her forehead.

"You don't have to answer now. We both already agreed on taking it slow. I was just impatient. This gave me a sense of reassurance that you're indeed mine and you will be Mrs. Jung one day in the future. And this would probably suffice to stop Jeno from asking random questions in the future."
Yerim smiled. Jaehyun and his ways with words.
She snickered and playfully flicked his forehead, "Stupid. Of course, I'll say yes. But well, let's be engaged for a year or so, baby steps remember?"

He sighed in relief before pulling her into his arms again.

"Thank you. So much. For saying yes, to me and to Jeno. I love you so much, you know."

Yerim smiled against his shoulder. Jeno was right. His appa loved her so much.

"I know. And I love you just as much. Maybe more."

Jaehyun smiled as he hugged her tighter, “Is it the part where we finally seal the deal with a kiss?”

She hummed playfully, “I don’t know… Is it? What do you think?”

Jaehyun pulled away and grinned before pulling away just a little so he could capture her lips with his.

"Oh boy, Jeno will be having a field day tomorrow."


 



 

Jaehyun woke up feeling giddy the next morning. Apparently, he and Yerim spent quite some time talking outside and when they went back inside, the two boys had occupied the whole bed with spreading arms and legs, leaving them no place to sleep.

They ended up taking the couch. It was a bit uncomfortable to sleep with their feet hanging off of it, but when he woke up with her sleeping soundly on his arms, it was worth the back pain he probably would have after this.

He gave her forehead a kiss and smiled fondly when she scrunched her nose. He enjoyed just staring at her sleeping face. Just then she stirred and tried to turn around and in return sent both of them tumbling down the couch.

Jaehyun pulled her so she fell on top of him, afraid she would further injure her arm.

She groaned as she peeled her eyes open, a bit in shock when she found herself on top of him on the floor.

"Morning," he grinned.

She blinked her eyes in confusion. She must've thought it was just a dream because she closed her eyes again and laid her head on his chest, going back to sleep.

Jaehyun chuckled and let her be.

"Thank god you're a lightweight and I love you too much to complain," he muttered as he rubbed her back.
She immediately opened her eyes in shock, finally realizing she indeed fell down on him and that she's not dreaming.

"God, I'm sorry, Jaehyun!" She exclaimed as she sat up. Jaehyun followed suit and scooted to rest his back against the foot of the couch. Yerim did the same and blinked her eyes, trying to wake up completely. She glanced at Jaehyun who was sitting on her left, caressing the knuckles of her casted arm.
She grinned when she saw the ring still on her finger. Last night wasn't a dream then.

"Morning," she rasped out.

He grinned, "Morning to you too. Slept well?"

"Very. You?"

"Mm hm."
She smiled as Jaehyun went in to kiss her, both smiling into the kiss.

She sighed contentedly as she laid her head on his shoulder.

He was about to talk when a loud cry resonated from the bedroom.

Yerim laughed and slapped his arm, "Go get your son!"
"Way to go, Sungchan," he sighed as he reluctantly stood up.
He went back with a babbling Sungchan in his arms and a sleepy Jeno in tow.
"Morning boys," Yerim smiled fondly. Jeno dragged his feet towards her and plopped down next to her, immediately laying his head on her lap as he spaced out. Probably still sleepy.

"Nono-ya, did you sleep well?" She asked as she gently brushed out his bed head. Jeno nodded.

"What do you want to eat for breakfast?" She asked again.

"Pancake," Jaehyun answered.

"I'm not asking you!"

Jaehyun laughed as he sat down next to her before setting Sungchan down to let the baby practice standing up again.

"Pancake's good," Jeno muttered before turning around to face Yerim.

"Alright, we can have pancakes. Do you want to eat now or later?" She asked again.

"Later," both father and son answered simultaneously.

"Okay, okay, we'll eat later," Yerim laughed.
Jeno's eyes then saw the sparkle on her finger.

"What is this?" He asked curiously as he touched the jewel.

Yerim looked at Jaehyun who was smiling from ear to ear.

"Jeno, do you remember what you have been asking me all week?"

Jeno tilted his head in confusion.

Jaehyun brushed away his son's fringe softly.

"You kept asking me to make Yerim your eomma, right?"
Jeno nodded.
"Come here, baby," Jaehyun beckoned the boy to come over. He then picked Jeno up to sit on his lap.

"Last night, when you and Sungchan were sleeping, appa proposed to Yerim imo. And then appa gave her this ring," Jaehyun said as he pointed to Yerim's hand.

"And then?"

"When I gave her the ring and proposed to her, that means I was asking her to marry me. She said yes. Do you know what that means?"
Jeno shook his head cutely.
Jaehyun and Yerim exchanged smiles before he explained to his son, "If I marry Yerim imo, then she will become my wife. If she becomes my wife, then she will become your eomma."

The couple watched Jeno's expression slowly morph from confusion to happiness.
"You will become my eomma?" He turned to Yerim.

Yerim nodded.

"I can call you eomma now?!" The boy asked again in disbelief, although the excitement was very apparent in his voice.

“Well—”

“Can I? Can I?”

Yerim sighed and smiled, "Alright. Come here then, son," she opened her right arm and let out a small oof when Jeno attacked her into a tight hug immediately.

"I'm so happy!" Jeno exclaimed.

Jaehyun smiled fondly and grabbed Sungchan before enveloping everyone into a hug.

"Family hug!"
Yerim closed her eyes in bliss. Why did she hesitate before? Maybe life is tired of giving her hardships. She never felt this happy and loved in twenty years. If being married to Jaehyun means being able to have this warm family hug whenever she wants, then maybe she didn't have to take her time.
A/N
AFTER 25 CHAPTERS! HE PROPOSED! FINALLY! it took 15 chapters from their first meeting to finally a marriage proposal, and that doesn't count the whole 13 years they've known each other. whhooh child, twas a journey *wipes sweat*
but don't worry, there's still a lot of things to unfold from our couples, and they're not getting married anytime soon *winks*
and i would like to use this opportunity to thank our biggest wingman of the year, jungwoo, and the biggest wingson(?), jeno, for constantly pushing jaehyun's buttons. congratulations, jungwoo you're getting a sister in law, and jeno, you're getting a mother! let's just wait for the couple to finally decide when to finally get legally married, okay?
and a a little t.m.i... i just started my internshipa t the pediatrics ward!!! omfg, i'm so happy to be surrounded by babies and little kids. granted, my heart broke whenever i saw them being sick, especially those with terminal illnesses, but their innocence just made me always want to smile, and i always forgot my tiredness whenever i see the babies babbled or when the kids laughed and joked around. god, i want to get married too lol
 
ANYWAYS! thank you for those who are still reading this story, especially those who commented, subscribed, and upvoted. it means a lot for a small writer like me! nct127 is coming realllllyy soon (jaehyun in lemonade is going to be the death of me, just saying) so please give them a ton of supports! and hope everyone stayed happy, healthy, and safe!
Love, btfg <3