o13 || getting closer

the pursuit of happiness
 
13
 
getting closer
Yerim entered her house giddily. She cannot shake off the image of Jaehyun smiling warmly at her. She's going to meet him again soon. This is going too well.

She walked inside and was about to go into her room when someone called her.
"Kim Yerim."

She turned to see her father standing in front of his study.

"Abeoji," she bowed immediately.

"Did you go out with the Jung heir?"

"Ah, yes, I did."

"Good. Your aunts had been asking about the progress. Are you dating him yet?"

Yerim sighed, "Abeoji, we just start meeting again. It's going to take some time."

"You do know that everyone wanted you gone since years ago, right? If you have gotten married at 20 then you'll already away from our faces. We've had enough of you and your petty tricks to avoid marriage, so now you have to make this relationship work. Go marry that Jung heir. You'll live a comfortable life and we don't have to see you again. Do both yourself and us a favor."

Yerim gripped her bag tightly as she watched her father leave. She went to her room with a heavy heart. Every time she's feeling happy, her father always had something to drag her back down.

She understood why her family was pushing her to get married. Once she became someone's wife, she'll eventually take her husband's last name and became a part of his family. Thus, making her no longer a Kim. And that was exactly what the Kims are going for. To erase her from the family registry in a more natural way, without catching the attention of other business tycoons and the media so they could still preserve the family's image.

Her family had tried to tie her into an arranged marriage before. Their attempts fail when she fled to Japan to pursue an education in animal medicine. They have even tried to marry her off with some Japanese rich heirs but it was to no avail. She never meant to return back to Seoul, but her grandfather passed away two years ago so she had no other choice to go back. She had to pay her respect to him.

The Kim elder was probably the only one who cherished her existence. He was the one who created a secret trust fund for her that she can get a hold of when she turned twenty-five. He was the one who paid for her education. He was the one who passed down a great amount of inheritance for her secretly.

If it wasn't for her grandfather, she'd probably already live in a slum somewhere. He was the one who provided her with an apartment and the one who bought the land for her clinic and cafe. She missed her grandfather and mother dearly. When she was a kid, after her mother passed away tragically, her father refused to see her. She spent her adolescence and teenage years being taken care of by the house maids.

Yerim sighed as she looked at the picture of her and her family before everything went awry. She missed her father. 20 years had passed and he still hold grudges to his own daughter. Maybe he was right after all. She should do herself a favor and get married quickly so she could get out of this hell she could barely call a home.



 
Jaehyun closed his laptop and gave it to his secretary who excused himself soon after the board meeting ended.

"My next schedule is at 3, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Alright, my father wants to talk to me and my brother first. And then I have to go somewhere for lunch. I'll see you again later, Yoobin," Jaehyun dismissed him.
After his secretary left, Jaehyun turned back to his father.

"What did you want to talk about, appa?"

Jungwoo grinned as he plopped himself on the couch, leaving Jaehyun standing awkwardly between the couch and his father's desk.

"Oh, I was just curious on when you're going to bring Yerim home. Your brother said your relationship with her is sailing smoothly. He said he boat you?"

"Ugh, ship, appa. Ship! You're not hip enough to use that word," Jungwoo sighed dramatically.

"Boat. Ship. Same thing," his father shrugged.

Jaehyun massaged his temple and sighed, "Appa, we're not dating, yet."

"Yet. That's the keyword, pa. Yet."

Jaehyun threw his brother a pointed look and Jungwoo chortled evilly.

"Hyung is going to meet Yerim noona for lunch today. He had even introduced her to Jeno and Sungchan, pa!" Jungwoo exclaimed.

Jaehyun groaned, "I regret confiding in you."
"That's good then. Yerim is a nice girl. Are you meeting her now?"

"Yeah. We're thinking of picking up the kids as well to have lunch together."

"See, appa?! They're already behaving like married spouses picking up their babies from the school! Huh, not dating my ," Jungwoo threw his hands up in frustration.

"Well, don't leave my future daughter in law waiting then! Shoo! Shoo! Hope everything went well!"
Jaehyun groaned as he left the room. His father and brother are truly unbelievable!

He bowed to the passing employees as he went to the parking lot to retrieve the car. His workplace is only half an hour away from Yerim's so he arrived in no time. He quickly gave her a call after he parked his car.


"Rim? Are you in the cafe, the clinic, or the shelter? I've arrived."

"Oh, I'm in the shelter! Can you wait a few minutes? I'll be done shortly."

"It's okay. I'll just head inside," he replied as he walked into the shelter.

When he got inside, he saw her signing several forms. There was a mother and her daughter with a chihuahua on their arms.

"Thank you for adopting Mimi! Please take good care of her. She's going to love having a pretty eonni like you," Yerim grinned at the small girl.

The girl beamed and Yerim patted the dog's head.

The mother and daughter left soon and Yerim waved at them when he noticed Jaehyun standing near the entryway.
"Jaehyun! Wait a minute, let me wash my hands first!" She said before going to a nearby sink and washing her hands quickly.

"Are the kids finished already?" She asked as she fetched her purse from the receptionist desk.

"No, we have at least forty-five minutes. And even if we're late, they'll be staying in the daycare anyways, so we don't have to rush."

Yerim sighed in relief. "Shall we go then?"

Jaehyun nodded as he led her to the car. Jaehyun didn't know why but he liked to observe Yerim's ways of styling. She had her hair up in a loose bun, and she's wearing skinny jeans with some casual blouse. She's wearing short heeled boots and she looked dazzling in her minimal makeup. See, this is why Jaehyun preferred her over the girls his mother set him up with before.
"So, you pick the kids up like this every day?" She asked after they entered his car.

"Uh uh. After lunch, I dropped them to my mother's house."

Yerim nodded.

"Is Jeno doing well?"

"Hmm? Yeah, he's doing pretty good. Why?"

Yerim recalled her first meeting with the kid and sighed.

"I just... I remembered what he said about his orphanage. He went through lots, didn't he?"

Jaehyun nodded grimly.

"The first two weeks he stayed with me… he had constant nightmares. I've brought him to a child psychiatrist and he had been receiving therapy for the past month. He's doing so much better now. He no longer had nightmares and he can talk about his past easily. He always said things innocently so it hurts me more when I heard about it. But it's good for him to be able to talk about it so I can show him that it's all in the past and he has a loving family now."

"I'm quite grateful he met someone like you. You're basically his savior, Jaehyun. Ever since we're young, you had always been the nicest one out of all of us and it's good to know that you're still like that," Yerim smiled.

"He used to get surprised over the littlest things. When I first cook him food, he was very touched. The kid hardly eats in the past. I brought him to the doctor and he said that the kid was stunted and malnourished. Kids his age are mostly picky with food but Jeno was so thankful he gets to eat now that he didn't hate anything I gave him."

"That's… quite good right? I mean, you can give him all the healthy nutritious food without worrying that he would hate the taste?"

"That's one of the bright sides. His weight is slowly increasing now."

Yerim patted Jaehyun's shoulder, "You did a good job nurturing him back to health. You should be proud of yourself, Jaehyun. You're such a great father."

Jaehyun turned to her and returned her smile. It does feel nice to be complimented and acknowledged.



 
"The place is cute," Yerim gushed as they entered the colorful building.

"We're ten minutes early. Jeno is still in his class so we can pick Sungchan up first," Jaehyun said as he led Yerim to the elevator.

They arrived at the second floor and Yerim squealed happily when she saw the cute sight from the glass doors. There are babies and toddlers crawling their way on the mattress-lined floor. She could spot Sungchan giggling happily as he lay on his stomach while playing with a fish shaped plushie.

Yerim loved kids and animals and all things cute. And what she saw before her are cute. She couldn't contain herself and grasped Jaehyun's arm.

"Oh my god, Jaehyun, this place is heaven! Look at all these cute kids," she gushes.

Jaehyun noticed her squeezing his arm and he smiled knowingly.

"I know. But my kid is the cutest," he shrugged.

Yerim playfully slapped away his arm as she laughed, "Alright, alright, proud father. But then I admit Sungchan is a very cute and docile baby."

"I know right?" Jaehyun grinned as he knocked on the glass door. The caretaker perked up and bowed as she carried Sungchan and his bag over.

"Mr. Jung, you're early today."

Jaehyun happily takes his son into his arms and bowed at the kind lady.

"Thanks for taking care of him. He's not fussy today, right?"

"Eh, Sungchan is never fussy! He's such a wonderful kid."

"Alright, thank you so much, Miss. I'll get going and pick up his hyung then."

The woman smiled and bowed. Yerim smiled and bowed at her as well.

"Thank you!" She bowed.
Yerim followed Jaehyun back downstairs. She smiled fondly as she saw Jaehyun peppering the chubby baby with kisses. The cute little kid squealed happily throughout the elevator ride.

They went out and waited out of Jeno's classroom, looking at him through the big glass window. Yerim noticed the kid concentrating on the book in front of him.
"He's learning how to read and write nowadays. He's making such great progress lately."

Yerim smiled as she saw the kid who was beaming when the teacher gave him a 'good job' stamp on his book, "Jeno is indeed a bright kid."

The bell rang and they saw the kids lining up to fetch their bag and get ready to leave the class. Yerim saw some parents also waiting for the kids.

Yerim reached out her arms to Jaehyun who gave her a confused look.

"I can carry Sungchan. You'd want to greet Jeno properly," she shrugged. She took Sungchan from Jaehyun's embrace. The baby didn't complain and soon made himself comfortable in Yerim's arms who’s caressing his back soothingly.
The door opened and the kids burst outside. A few of them went to their parents and some of them were standing in line with a teacher.

"Alright, we can go to the daycare now, shall we?" The teacher said and the children answered enthusiastically.

The teacher turned and saw Jaehyun before smiling.

"Jeno! Looks like your parents picked you up early today?"

Jeno turned around and beamed when he saw his father and the pretty auntie he likes a lot.

"Ssaem, can I go then?" He asked cutely and the teacher patted his head before nodding.

"Thank you, ssaem!" Jeno bowed before running to Jaehyun's awaiting open arms.
"Appa!"

"Hi baby. Had fun today?"

Jeno nodded and turned to face his favorite auntie.

"Yerim imo!"

Jaehyun accepted Sungchan from Yerim before the girl bent down and pulled Jeno into a hug.

"How are you doing, little man? Having fun at school?"

Jeno nodded and he launched into story mode immediately, excitedly telling her about his days.
"It's so nice to finally see Jeno's mother. You guys made up such a wonderful family," a teacher smiled at Jaehyun.

Jaehyun rubbed the back of his neck as he smiled awkwardly, not knowing how to respond.

"Jeno is so lucky to have such loving parents. His mother is very pretty and very attentive," another teacher added and Jaehyun bowed as a reply since he couldn't probably say that Yerim is not Jeno's mother. That would make things awkward.

But then Jaehyun turned to see Yerim and Jeno swinging their interlocked hands together as they talked animatedly to each other. The sight looks almost too beautiful. She'd make a great mother. And hopefully for Jeno and Sungchan.



 
The four of them arrived at a restaurant and sat down in a table. Jaehyun sat across Yerim with Jeno sitting next to her. Sungchan is perched on a high chair between Yerim and Jaehyun. They ordered and after the waiter went away, Yerim and Jeno continued their conversation as Jaehyun stared at them.

"Appa, imo, we sang in class today! I really like it. Can you sing imo?" Jeno asked.

Jaehyun grinned, "In high school, appa and Yerim imo joined the music club together. Yerim imo has a good voice."

Jeno smiled, "I think appa has a very, very good voice too. Imo, do you know? Appa always sing me a lullaby before sleeping. Appa also play piano really well!"

Yerim smiled at the kid.

"Your appa is indeed talented, right?"

"Well, your imo can play the piano too, Jeno," Jaehyun said. Yerim brushed him off immediately, "You're clearly the better musician between us, Jaehyun."
Jaehyun only laughed as he took out Sungchan's porridge from the thermos in his diaper bag.

"I can't wait for you to be able to chew so you can eat real human food instead of these blobs," Jaehyun mumbled sympathetically to Sungchan as he scooped out a small bit to feed it to Sungchan.

"What's in that?" Yerim asked curiously.

"Pumpkin, rice, and chicken, all blended into one nutrition rich goodness here. Yuck, I knew," Jaehyun rolled his eyes playfully.

The waiter came with the food and Yerim thanked him as Jaehyun was still busy feeding the hyperactive baby.

"Oh, the noodle is pretty long. Want me to cut it shorter for you?" Yerim asked Jeno who struggled to eat his noodle.

"Yes, please," Jeno said politely. Yerim smiled at him before picking a fork to start cutting the noodles into shorter strands.

"You're getting better with your chopsticks, Jen," Yerim commented as she watched the boy eat happily.

"Ten samchon and Lucas samchon gave these to me," he showed Yerim the training chopsticks he's holding.

Yerim patted the boy's head as she continued eating.
"Come on Sungchan, this porridge is good for you," Jaehyun cooed at the baby who's had enough of the porridge.

"Have you tried the classic airplane trick?" Yerim blinked and Jaehyun shook his head.

"Do I really have to make weird noises first to get him to eat?" He sighed.

"It may work. I mean, it usually works on babies," Yerim said with a shrug.
Jaehyun sighed before he started making weird noises which was actually effective in getting the baby's attention.

Yerim giggled at Jaehyun's actions which made Jeno giggled as well to see his father clowning himself.

"Your father is really funny, isn't he?" Yerim whispered to Jeno, but loud enough for Jaehyun to actually hear her.

Jaehyun threw her a pointed look and she stuck out her tongue as she shared a knowing look with Jeno.

"Want to exchange with me, Jaehyun? You haven't touched your food. It'll go cold," Yerim said.

"After this little monster finished his food," Jaehyun said distractedly as he focused to feed Sungchan while the boy was opening his mouth.
"Look, Jeno, your appa refused to eat!" Yerim said.

"Like Sungchanie!" Jeno added which made Jaehyun throw them a look.

"Hmm... should we do the airplane trick to make him eat?" Yerim said comically which Jeno replied with an enthusiastic clap.

"Alright, Jaehyunniee~ open your mouth, the plane wants to go inside, whoooosh~"

Jaehyun stared at the spoon in front of him incredulously and he glared playfully at Yerim as he kept his mouth shut.

"Oh, it didn't work, Jeno! Hmm… shall we try the train trick then?" Yerim said before picking up the spoon again.

"Choo choo! Jaehyunnie, the train wants to go in, choo choo!"

Jaehyun laughed and finally accepted the food. He chewed it as he chuckled.

"It worked!" Jeno grinned as he shared a high five with Yerim.

"I can't believe the two of you," Jaehyun shook his head in disbelief as the two people across him laughed evilly together.

"Go eat, I can do more transportation tricks to Sungchan," Yerim dragged her chair closer to Sungchan and took the bowl and spoon away from Jaehyun.

"Alright, alright, mother hen," Jaehyun gave up and ate his food as he observed Yerim. The girl was making cute noises and was very expressive which made Sungchan giggled a lot of times.

"Yerim imo is so much fun," Jeno commented and Yerim smiled back at him.

"Jeno is so much fun too. Sungchan too. Your appa is the only one who's not fun!" Yerim teased and Jaehyun huffed, crossing his arm petulantly, causing Jeno to giggle in glee.

Yerim laughed, "I was just kidding, you big baby," she rolled her eyes as she continued feeding Sungchan who babbled nonsense happily while Jeno enthusiatically encouraged his baby brother to eat.

Jaehyun looked at the sight fondly. Should he follow his parents' request to be with her then?
A/N
Well, well, look who's having a nice family date? ah, of course our happy family of four:)
hopefully everyone had a grasp of yerim's relationship with her family, and look forward to see how her dynamic with her father, with jaehyun, and the kids will evolve over time. it might be a slow progress but please anticipate!!!!
p.s: kun and xiaojun's new song... goodness gracious i love it a lot! fyi if you haven't know it yet, kun is actually my ultimate bias in nct, so can you all imagine the state of bliss i've been having with the launch of his new song and his vlog series in wayv's channel :") please support our two vocalists!!!
p.s.s: red velvet is apparently making a comeback too in august!!! my, my, i'm served and spoiled!
p.s.s.s: i'm having an exam next week:( i'm currently interning at the internal medicine department, and boy it's the energy and life out of me. i've been having long shifts these past few weeks, i've been sleep deprived, and i'm having troubles to find time to study between my shifts, let alone playing around in aff. i'm lucky i got two days off, so i can sneak in an update here and have some speed study session (((hello all-nighters! and hello caffeine!)))
 wish me luck on my exam:(( also, wishing everybody who's having an exam a good luck too! and for everyone in general, hope you guys have an amazing week ahead!
thank you for reading, commenting, subscribing, and upvoting! you made my day!
Love, btfg <3