29 Nostalgia: Forget Me Not

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery, Romance, Slice of Life, Tragedy, Psychological

Summary: "Nostalgia. I can't forget it. The moment I'll open my eyes, I always look for you. My heart is looking for you, I knew that uthis time; you are still my home. I still love you Hyewon."

Eunbi met her ex-girlfriend Kang Hyewon at Traum Island. But what happened? What happened to Hyewon?

What will happen to Eunbi?

Word Count: 8915

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_Nostalgia

 

Nostalgia: Forget Me Not

 

This is not just a story about love…

But how will you describe love?

 

"If we will meet again, I want you to know that no one can replace you, in my heart and in my soul."

 

04/21/2021  Traum Island, South Korea Eunbi POV

 

Finally, I got the chance to spend my free time. ALONE.

This kind of vacation I always dream to have. A three weeks’ vacation on this island, dreamlike island owned by my parents. 

 

Everyone, welcome to Traum Island.

 

I really need a space, a big, big space. I need time and place to think of everything. I have been asking for this vacation for three straight months before the final day, miracles do happen because they allowed me at last. Just, I need to do this so I can help myself.

 

And the answer is Traum Island. 

 

The best island in South Korea. It has the best view and the environment itself will make you at peace. It is located in the lower part of South Korea. The blue ocean, the pine trees, the white sand, and the villas, mini houses are all beautiful.

 

Yep, it is my third day here at the island so I’ve decided to take a stroll. I will be taking this island soon, so I should inspect every part of this. I don’t have any plans to be an owner or manager but do I have a choice? 

 

I am the one and only Kwon Eunbi. Tehehe.

 

"The sun is going down." I murmured while staring at the beautiful sun. There were few people at the seashore, so I hurriedly opened the camera of my phone to take a picture of this view. 

 

"Beautiful." I smiled after I checked the photos. I'm such a pro. Ha. I decided to take a picture of the sun again and I got 7 amazing photos. Should I edit them later?  The sun looks so fine.

 

I moved to the right to take a picture of the villa including the orange sky, but when I turned around, I could see someone from my phone's camera. A very familiar face and her smile. I gasped and tried to stare just to make sure I was wrong but… 

 

It's been three years.

It’s been three years since the last time we’ve met.

 

The girl with an angelic smile, walked forward and waved her left hand. While I am still looking at her thru my phone's camera. Her long silky yellow hair is swaying by the gentle wind.

 

"E-eunbi? Is that you right?" 

 

Hell. I'm right.

 

It was Hyewon Kang. 

The first and last person I've ever loved. 

 

My ex-girlfriend.

 

"If we will meet again, let me hold your hand, with a genuine smile and I will look into your eyes like before-- or more than that."

 

04/21/2021  Traum Island, South Korea Narrator POV

 

Eunbi hasn't spoken yet but Hyewon quickly stretched her arms to give her a warm and tight hug. She could not say no, it's been three years since the last time they met. And that last time was their break-up, closure to be exact. Still, Eunbi is flabbergasted.

 

"I’ve missed you so much! It's been three years, right?" Hyewon exclaimed, and put both of her hands to Eunbi's. "How are you doing today?"

 

"Yeah, it's been three years." Eunbi finally answered, and she grinned, "And uhh, I am doing great." She continued.

 

Hyewon roamed her eyes, must be looking if Eunbi is with someone at this island. But it was only the two of them and few people from the other side.

 

"Why are you here? Are you with someone?" Hyewon asked again. Eunbi shook her head and heave a sigh.

 

"I'm all alone. I came here to rest my mind and body cause the city is killing me, and well my last solo vacay before I do my duty." She responded while staring at Hyewon. 

 

"What? I've been living here for three years!" Hyewon said proudly.

 

Ha. That’s why I never saw you for three years. Eunbi said to her mind.

 

Hyewon smiled, "I missed you so much."

Eunbi returned her sweet smile and replied, "I missed you more Kang."

 

Kang. She used to call her Kang back before when they were still a couple. 

 

Five years ago, when they were both 20 years old. She met Kang when they were seatmates on one subject. They became friends, best friends turned lovers-- and everything seemed perfect. Eunbi thinks Kang is perfect too. It was indeed her love dream. They were always on a cloud nine, although it’s kinda hard for the two of them, Eunbi had cherished her moments with Kang Hyewon.

 

However, they kept it as a secret to everyone. Because they are both from families who don't recognize that kind of relationship they had-- since they always believe, it is a sin. But how can you say that falling in love is a sin? They have their own consent, own decision and they aren't fooling no one. But yeah, they don't want to get hate just because they love each other so it was a secret.

 

It was a secret for two straight years of relationship.

 

Just because they are in the forbidden relationship. They had to explore the love secretly; a forbidden love story. It was hard.

 

But she enjoyed the two years with this girl. Kang is the ideal and most beautiful woman she have ever met. On her darkest days, Hyewon never left. The woman in front of her stayed and saved her. Eunbi will always be grateful of Hyewon.

 

Yes, Hyewon is indeed beautiful. But it was not the reason why she fell in love. Hyewon’s smiles soothe her heart.  She is kind, caring and such an expressive person. Hyewon is someone who can make her at ease, helps her to believe herself and enjoy life.

 

Two years. 

It only lasted for two years. But, even though they broke up three years ago…

 

She is still in love with Hyewon.

 

Cause she still looks at her, the way she used to look at her before.

"I will cherish you, embrace you, love you with no doubts and no regrets. Because I won't be afraid like I used to before. I will join in every gist of color. I will be here for you."

 

04/23/2021 Traum Island, South Korea Eunbi POV

 

Maybe, true love never dies because it hides.

 

And yes, although it was a long time ago. She still has all of my heart and I don't blame her for that. I can't deny, that I am very happy-- I am delightful! Cause finally we met again. I will make sure to spend our days together much sweeter than before. What am I saying? We’re not a couple anymore haha.

 

"What are you doing?" Kang asked the moment she entered the kitchen. I invited her to eat breakfast with me at our villa (forgot to tell that we have our own villa at this island.) 

 

After the meeting, we decided to keep in contact and made sure to meet again, no hard feelings just want to catch up and be with each other again. I grinned and showed the newly baked cheesecake.

 

"I baked some cheesecakes for our breakfast." I replied with happiness in my voice. She chuckled and sat at the nearest chair. "So, you can bake now huh?" Hyewon teased me while raising her eyebrows.

 

I picked one cheesecake and give it to her. She took a bite and I could see how her eyes widened; her left hand quickly covered . She always does that when she eats delicious food. And I’m proud, I was the one who baked the food huh.

 

I can't help but to laugh and clap my hands. She can’t believe that I baked those cheesecakes. "This is delicious!" Hyewon exclaimed while taking another bite. "Told you!" I boasted and joined her.

 

Minutes after, we decided to visit the sea and good thing I brought my phone; so, I could take pictures of Hyewon. She is playing with the tiny waves of the sea while trying to tuck her hair in the left ear. Ah, this girl.

 

"Kang!" I called her. She looked at me with an expression why. But I didn't answer and just signaled her to stop what she's doing. I walked towards her and wiped the sand in her face. "Are you a kid?" I asked, smiling. She replied with a pout and jokingly pushed me. "Good thing you did not take a picture of me with that sand on my face." I laughed and grabbed my phone in my pocket. "Speaking of that, I will take a picture of you."

 

Kang happily situated herself and smiled with peace sign. I giggled and carefully took several pictures of her. I secretly smiled, I can't help but to smile at this beautiful view in front of me. "Done." I stopped and showed her the pictures.

 

"Wow. You are great Eunbi. Should I believe miracles do happen?" She asked while browsing the photos. I scoffed, "I'm great hey." and poked her cheeks. "You should capture a picture too, Ms. Former Painter." I suggested, emphasizing the word former painter. I forgot to say, that she used to work as a painter and organized memorable art exhibit before.

 

She agreed and took a picture of the sea, she is too focused that she didn't realize, I was staring at her face. And so, I am.

 

"Woah. Look Eunbi, the sea is so beautiful!" Hyewon said in awe, I smiled-- still staring at her beautiful face and nods, "You're right. It's beautiful." I replied while staring at her. 

 

But you are more beautiful than the sea.

 

Maybe, after all these years. The reason why it's still you, not because I can't move on. But rather, I don’t want to move on. I keep coming back to you. It’s not that I could not let go, but I don’t want to let go.

 

Maybe, after all these years I should face the truth that the only answer for these thoughts is to stay with you and spend my days with you with no worries.

 

No, not maybe.

 

I want to be brave and live my life with you happily. Like before, I want to relive our happy days and make it better. Because, I still love you. Maybe we ended our relationship for some real, serious matter but it doesn’t mean I stopped loving you. Maybe there are times that I forgot about you, but it doesn’t mean I stopped hoping to see you again.

 

"Nostalgic." Hyewon murmured, still looking at the sea. I agreed. I shifted my eyes to look at the sea and I held her hand.

"Just like us." I whispered. We used to watch the sunset before, right?

“Those were the memories I could not forget.” Hyewon expressed and looked at me. I smiled and met her eyes.

“Those were the memories I won’t forget.” Said I.




 

“There are so many things I want to ask and I want to tell. But I am afraid the moment I’ll say the truth, will you stay again? Even though it will come to an end?”

 

04/23/2021  Traum Island, South Korea Narrator POV

 

Later that night, the two decided to watch the moonlight at the terrace of the villa where Eunbi is currently staying. Like before the old times; the two brewed coffee and while listening to some classical music. They love classical music; Hyewon likes Bach, Liszt, Mozart, and Beethoven.

Eunbi offered the coffee to Hyewon with a sweet smile, Hyewon returned her smile and happily accepted the cup of coffee and tapped the other side of the chair—inviting the girl to sit with her.

The night is very calming. The wind softly touching their skins, they could hear the sea mumbling and see those yellow lights from the seashore. The night is calming and sweet, Eunbi thinks. Hyewon sipped her coffee and nods. She loves the coffee. It tastes good.

“Kang.” Eunbi broke the silence. “I actually want to know how you were doing for the past three years.”

Hyewon sighed and put her coffee at the table, "Exactly, what do you want to know?" She asked. Eunbi shrugged her shoulder and answered, "I mean everything. Why are you here, and after we broke up you just… you were gone?” 

"I stayed in my parent's house after we broke up, for like few weeks. I left my work after I earned a lot of money, something happened that's why I am here. I am living here for three years."

"I don't have any idea that it was your family's island. I just bought the house located at this island and I am working here."

“What about having a lover?" 

Hyewon chuckled, "You were my first and last love, Eunbi."

"Oh." She uttered. Eunbi could not hide her big smile. Eunbi was pleased to hear that, and she felt relieved knowing the girl she loves has no someone. 

"After we broke up, I decided to live here for good and continue painting beautiful scenery." Hyewon continued, she is holding the coffee with both of her hands right now. "Though I lost interest at work, I just paint whenever I'm sad."

Eunbi is aware that Hyewon raised up her head and heave a sigh, "I tried to reach for you, but I failed. There's no other way that I could contact you."

Because of that, Eunbi felt a flinched in her heart. That's it. She heard it very clearly-- if only she was there. "I'm very sorry Hyewon, I should be there for you." She apologized but she knows she needs to say something. 

Something that she needs to explain, and tell Hyewon about everything.

"No, I'm very happy with who you are today." The latter responded and patter her head. But Eunbi looked at her, "I'm still the same!" She quickly responded. "We're… still the same." She continued.

But Hyewon did not reply, and she looked at the bright moon, her lips slowly curved a smile and her eyes shines because of the moonlight. She didn’t hear a response from Hyewon after she said that.

Eunbi wanted to say she still loves Hyewon, but she can’t. In some way, she is afraid. She is scared, worried that Hyewon might leave her again. 

"I'm sorry because I gave up on us. We're may be the same but the difference is, I am a coward and you aren't." Hyewon whispered, Eunbi sighed, she reached for Hyewon’s hand—Eunbi knew it and she understood everything.

“You’re not a coward. You just wanted to save yourself.  You’re not alone Hyewon. I’m here for you during this tough time. We can spend our days here, together right?” she asked. 

“You were always there for me Eunbi. I felt bad because it’s been years since we were parted ways and yet, you have to be with me again. Consoling me like a kid, again.” Hyewon said with sadness. But for Eunbi—it’s fine and she would love to spend her time with this girl. 

Some people may not understand what would be the consequences when you were isolated in the room of sadness. 

And she can’t just stay still—knowing this woman whom she loves dearly is having a difficult time.

“Because you are important to me. I may not understand exactly what you had felt during these past few years but we used to be on the same shoes. And you’re not alone.”

“I’m always here for you.  I’m willing to listen.” Eunbi sincerely said. Hyewon looked at her and she did the same. She gave her an assuring look and smiled. 

That night, Eunbi realized two things: first, sometimes we just need to listen. And telling them that they always matter; isn’t that comforting? Because Eunbi would love to shower Hyewon with these comforting words.

“Thank you Eunbi, for everything.”

And they can surely help.

Second, she still loves Hyewon.





 

"And will you believe me if I tell you that you are more beautiful than these stars, the night and the moon? That your voice sings a harmonious melody. That your smile brings butterflies."

04/26/2021  Traum Island, South Korea Eunbi POV

 

It is our agreement to meet at the cliff this night. This is a private area in this island where the owners could only go. That’s me, I am the only one who can visit this cliff.

 

She said that tonight, we can witness the full moon and the ethereal beauty of the night sky. So, I invited her to watch the moon and night sky at this cliff. Only the two of us. We haven't met for three days and I had a hard time sleeping. Maybe I was very excited to see her again. Holly wow, right?

 

"You're here!" 

 

My face beamed when I heard Hyewon’s voice. I saw her waiting behind the small bamboo gate. She tied her long yellow hair, wearing her eyeglasses and brought her cream cardigan.

 

"Did I make you wait?" I asked as soon as I opened the bamboo gate. She shook her head to say no, and entered the area first.

 

After those few steps we finally see the beautiful sea, under the big full moon which is surrounded by those bright stars. We could not help but gasped-- it is indeed beautiful. The night sky is so ethereal. The cliff is not that high and we can still see the seashore and the light posts, on the left side, however; the beauty of the night sky is indeed incredible. We sat together on the grass land.

 

"Told you, it is truly beautiful. But, I never thought being here is amazing. This is so nice." Hyewon blabbered while still looking at the sky, "If only I could paint it." She continued and moved her right hand as if she’s painting in the air.

 

"You can. I remember your mom supported you being a painter." I said, while untying my shoes. Hyewon sighed deeply and it easily caught my attention. I looked at her and raised my eyebrows to ask why.

 

"Not anymore." Hyewon answered, and her sadness is visible because of her expressive eyes. 

“What do you mean?”

Hyewon smiled bitterly, “I forgot to tell you, that I did confess who I am 3 years ago, but she got mad and I was… disowned.” She took off her cardigan and laughed, “We can’t please everyone I guess.”

 

"You know what I've realized when we decided to end our relationship?" I questioned her, she looked back at me and I give her an assuring smile.

 

"That it is okay. It is okay to be what we want to be. It's okay if we want to leave the cage and let the people know who are we; If it's our way for accepting ourselves and for reaching our freedom. And it is okay, if we decided to stay inside, pretend and hide; if it's our own way of saving ourselves in this kind of society and just accept ourselves in silence."

 

"Whatever choices, it’s fine. Because we did not change at all. We’re still a human, a person and as long as we aren’t doing anything wrong to other people; we are all free to do what we want"

 

Hyewon placed her chin to her knees. She is sitting like a kid as both of her legs were folded. So, she can rest her chin and cover it with her arms.

 

“There’s nothing wrong about what we had before Hyewon. You can love who you want to love.”

"But I am someone who craves for love." Hyewon answered, "Someone who is chasing for love and yet I have no expectations. Being like that, somehow makes me proud of myself."

 

"We are the same, but honestly you are braver than I am. And I want you to know that I am always proud of you. Kang, you are an admirable person I have ever met. You love so dearly. And I understand why it had to be this way."

 

I heard Hyewon giggled, "If we are not the same, will you still understand me?" She asked.

 

"Sympathy and empathy are different. Even if I am not like this, I will still be here and love you. Empathy is always there. It is inside you.” I looked at her again, and met her sad eyes. I made sure to look straight at her to say what I really feel. 

 

"I will stay believing in you.  Because you are you."

 

"I'm always grateful that I met a person like you, Eunbi." I felt happy and giddy when I heard what she said. I only shrugged my shoulder and smiled while looking at the moon. Trying to compose myself.

 

"But Kang … are you really fine here in Traum Island?" I whispered. I wanna make sure that she is indeed fine throughout these years.

 

"Of course!" Hyewon yelled that I almost got surprised. "It was my decision. I decided to leave everyone and stay here for the rest of my life." Then she laughed sweetly, "Traum Island is a peaceful place and this is the place where I won't get any hate and judgement."

 

If she only knows that I envy her so much. I wanted to get out of this cage, and I never did because in the end, I only got scared. She was the one who ended our relationship, but I felt like I was left alone pretending. It's not that I am blaming her but I can't be like her cause I was left and still pretending. Although I said it is okay; but for me? 

 

I want to stay with Kang but I'm afraid to come out.

 

Words can kill you mentally, and worst it would torment you over and over again. It will bring you in pain physically. If only they know, that judging someone is not a role-- not because it is their belief. Because they are human, hurting a human.

 

I moved my head to look at Hyewon and she did the same, we both smiled with each other.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter