Special OS 03: Hello, stranger

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Romance, Slice of Life

Summary: “The only one who has the power to hurt you the most is the one you love the most.”

Word Count: 3465

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_HelloStranger

 

Hello, stranger

 

Eunbi POV

 

I woke up to the sound of the chirping birds near my window. The soft textured blanket felt much more comfortable than usual making it hard for me to get up as I pulled it again covering my head. Turning my head to the left side, I suddenly felt gloominess lingering around. I pushed myself to get up and looked at pillows and plushies covering the empty parts of this queen-sized bed.

 

I love her. She loves me. But why did she just disappear on our wedding day.

I can handle the embarrassment but damn. The pain of not receiving any explanation of the whys is just making me lose all the sanity I have left. Thinking all we had is just nothing making me want to wish to forget about everything. Every single bit of it. Since the day we met.

 

~

 

Witnessing the drastic fast-paced movements of the busy people in this city felt overwhelming the first time I got here. But now I even sense familiarity seeing the faces of strangers I often cross paths with while walking along the streets of Manhattan every morning before I grab my daily dose of caffeine at the intersection before going to work.

 

Taking a short break at a pedestrian crossing, while sliding my phone back to my trench coat pocket, I heard a girl squealed in excitement. “It’s snowing!!”

 

And that instant, memories from the past came flashing.

 

“Waaaaa! First snowfall!”

 

A blonde girl shorter than I am is looking up jumping like a kid with her eyes closed while feeling the snowflakes falling freely on her face. Her milky white complexion making it almost invisible. She then turned to me, looking with those shimmering eyes and a very heart-warming smile that I can’t help but chuckle at this sight. It’s freezing outside but just being here with her seeing her makes me feel warm inside.

 

“Come on, Eun. You’ll catch a cold being silly like that.” I pulled her closer as I hugged her from the back resting my chin on her shoulder, smelling the scent of white jasmine.

 

The thought was cut off when I felt something cold just fell on my face, a snowflake.

 

I’ll always be haunted by guilt by the memories of you popping in the smallest of details. I hope you can still forgive me. If the heavens ever gave me a chance to meet you again. I’ll fight for you this time. At any cost. 

 

 

~

 

I arrived in front of Death by Caffeine and was welcomed by a sudden memo informing their patrons about the sudden change of management causing them to halt their operations for a week. Disappointment written all over my face, I turn around reaching for my phone to dial Sakura, the only friend I have here, to buy coffee for me instead. I balled my fist, gritting my teeth because her number is busy. Dang it!

 

It’s still 7:25AM so I still have time for my ridiculously needed caffeine intake or my day is going downhill. My phone beeped. A call from Sakura.

 

‘Hye! I was informed that there’s a newly opened cafe near the office named X Cafe just two blocks away located at the right side at the known hidden alley near Staples street. We should pay a visit! They’re giving free cream bread for every coffee purchase! I’ll meet you there in 5 minutes okay? Bye!’

 

She talked so fast that I didn’t even have a chance to say something.

 

Well, it seems like a lifesaver.

 

But fate really likes playing a game on me. The one I ran away from is now right in front of me. Still stunning, with her bob blonde hair now dyed into chocolate brown locks, even rocking a ¾ sleeve polo uniform with a coffee brown apron on her waist.

 

~

 

It took me hours to contemplate if I should approach her but my mind just stopped functioning well. I ended up calling it a day early as my footsteps just made its way to its destination once the clock hit 3PM. 

 

“Eunbi?” I called her out 

 

“Do I know you?” A pair of familiar eyes looking back at me cluelessly as if she doesn’t know me. I was caught off guard with myself nervously giving off a short laugh. “What?”

 

“I’m sorry. If you happen to know me. I have amnesia so I can’t remember you.” She continued as the thought sent chills down my spine.

 

~

 

“So she’s the beauty you freaking ditch on your wedding day. The one you owe a very long explanation into.” Sakura madly looking at me with her arms crossed 

 

“Yeah.” I tried my best to sound calm, forcing out a dry smile. “I expected her to slap the hell out of me.”

 

 “And she can’t do that because she has amnesia so let me do the honor.” Sakura stepping her right foot backward and gently massaging her right arm with her left ready to attack

 

We’ve been friends for 3 years now and Sakura helped me start my life in this cruel city of New York. I was working part time at a dine when I saw someone trying to harass her. Of course I cannot stand still and save her though it will cost me losing my job but hey I gained a friend for keeps. And now working for a start-up subsidiary of NYSE Group at Wall Street. Now too much for that. Back to the story.

 

~

 

I was a grumpy student back in middle school. Ambitious and competitive since I grew up in a family where being the best is a must. That falling behind is a sin. All kids at school dislike me until a transferee changed my perspective in life.

 

One time, I saw a group of bullies outside school threaten another student. I just ignored it of course. I don’t mind other people’s business. But a newbie fearlessly confronts them and damn, the girl knows how to kick asses really bad. But they got more company who came as they circled around her. I don’t know what really got into me but I felt the need to distract them so I grabbed a garbage bag and threw it into them. And we end up running away hand in hand.

 

Eunbi is exactly my opposite. A carefree and bright person who’s not afraid to express herself. She has been the brightest star in my darkest days. Those times I was overwhelmed with pressure. My parents got divorced. She accepted every flaw I have. She was there when no one seemed to really care about me. 

 We grew fond of each other. Became the best of friends turned lovers.

 

~

 

I told Sakura I’ll not bother Eunbi again but here I am again at X Cafe. Looking at a girl handing her seem-to-be studyholic friend a hand reminded me of that day I pulled off a pun to Eunbi to make way for my confession.

 

“I hate Algebra.” Eunbi pouting her lips with her eyes furrowed crossing her arms.

 

“Well did Algebra say it loves you?” I asked pinching her nose to distract her as she gave me that sharp look on her face. I ended up smirking that it pissed her off breaking eye contact with me. Giving me an ample amount of seconds to gather the courage I need to convey my feelings. I leaned closer to her and continued “Because the one in front of you do”

“Ms. Kang Hyewon?” A familiar voice echoed snatching me from the past.

I simply nodded because I’m still stunned by the fact she doesn’t remember who I am. She extended her arm and I shook her hand, the same hand I never wanted to let go before. Eunbi is now looking back at me intently confused why my hand is still holding hers, so I decided to break our eye contact and shift to her company.

“I’m Ms. Lee Chaeyeon, the manager who talked to you via phone call yesterday.” So, you are booking us to host your company’s Chri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter