08 Effeuiller la Marguerite

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Fluff, High School, Slice of Life

Summary: Kwon Eunbi wanted to be an idol even if it meant leaving everything and everyone, including Kang Hyewon, behind. But, was it truly worth it?

Word Count: 3744

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_EffeuillerLaMarguerite

 

Effeuiller la Marguerite

 

On a night where the stars shone the brightest, there was Kwon Eunbi. Standing on her balcony, a wine glass filled with sparkling champagne in her left hand; with her eyes closed, she let the cold breeze kiss her skin. This was an alone time she rarely got.

 

Eunbi was an idol, a very successful one at that. However, it wasn't exactly paradise. Of course, it was a rewarding profession. You get to make others happy, you get to be an inspiration, and it pays well too. However, there are a lot of downsides in being an idol.

 

As an idol, you've got to accept that the word 'privacy' or 'me time' is close to being nonexistent. That was what she hated the most.

 

Growing up, Eunbi was rather reserved. She did not like meeting strangers nor did she like being the center of attention. Privacy was what mattered to her the most.

 

Then, why'd she become an idol, you ask?

 

Eunbi grew up on the wrong side of life. Waking up every day to the shouts of your parents isn't exactly a proper childhood. Waking up every morning with the question of 'Will we be able to eat today?' was hell. The only thing good about her childhood was, she was able to enjoy herself. Even if her only audience was her stuffed bear Pooch, she always had the time of her life dancing and singing till her heart overflowed with joy. It was the only thing that kept her alive.

 

Years later, when she was a senior, an opportunity knocked on her door. She was scouted by a staff member of a popular entertainment company. 

 

Indeed, deciding whether to take on the auditions or not was difficult. Knowing that there was no guarantee that she would be accepted or if she was, there was no guarantee that she would rise to fame. It was a huge risk, knowing that it was her future on the line. 

 

However, she was still willing to try. Too willing that she gave up everything for her dream. Too willing that she turned her back on everything and everyone; including the only person who loved and believed in her the most. 

 

She took a sip of her champagne whilst staring at the night sky. She chuckled bitterly as she reminisced their memories together; a familiar pain throbbing in her heart.

 

Kang Hyewon was her best friend. Or as they would call each other in the past, soulmate.

 

She met Hyewon when she was a freshman. Eunbi was timid and quiet, while Hyewon was the exact opposite. She was quite popular due to her bubbly personality while Eunbi was, you could say, obscure. 

 

Her school life was quiet, without friends, she mostly spent her time alone. Not until Hyewon came into the picture. 

 

It was another one of those partner works. Eunbi dreaded those kinds of requirements; she thought that it was better off to do it individually since all of the past partners she had, made her do it by herself anyway. And knowing that she was partnered with a popular girl, she knew that she would again, just be bossed around. 

 

The bell rang indicating that they were dismissed. On the corner of her eye, she could see the popular girl’s head towards her. She immediately got up, shoving everything inside her backpack. As clear as day, she obviously didn't want to talk to the other. 

 

"Eunbi, wait up!", Hyewon followed her. She didn't reply, instead, she sped up her walking. 

 

"E-Eunbi, the p-project!", she heard Hyewon yell from behind her. Slightly, looking at the girl behind her while still walking, she muttered. "I-I'll do it on my own. Don't worry, I'll still put your name on it.", once those words slipped from her tongue, she made a run for it. 

 

She entered the school with her jacket's hood above her head the next day, thinking that it could make her more invisible. It was true, but not for Hyewon. It made Eunbi even more conspicuous in her eyes if truth be told.

 

"Good morning.", Hyewon smiled brightly at the other, who was evidently taken aback by the sudden greeting. "I-I'll do the project later.", Eunbi whispered. 

 

"You're quite cute.", Hyewon giggled. "And no, you are not doing that project alone. We are doing it together.", she clarified. "Library, after school. I'll wait.", the other flashed her a bright smile before dashing off leaving Eunbi in the middle of the hallway, with a faint blush creeping on her cheeks.

 

Hyewon was peculiar. She was different from the rest of them; she wasn't that spoiled and bratty girl Eunbi thought she was. She was the opposite.

 

Even after they passed the output birthed from their collaboration, which was a huge success, looking back at the huge A+ on its cover page; Hyewon still hung around her. From simply telling each other about their days to chasing each other around the campus grounds. Hyewon made her feel like she wasn't a mediocre adult trapped inside a teenager's body. This was the time she realized that Hyewon was her beginning.

 

Honestly, if it wasn't for her, Eunbi wouldn't be where she is now.

 

FLASHBACK

 

"Oh yeah, what about that entertainment audition you had in mind?", Hyewon asked munching on her hotdog. 

 

"I don't think I want to do it anymore. I figured that it's too big of a risk, Hye. I can't handle it.", she sighed, sadness painted across her countenance.

 

"You know Eun, I say a lot of sh*tty things.", Hyewon laughed before staring straight into her eyes. "But this time, I think I'll take a break from that."

 

"Eun, do you know why it's called a 'dream'?", she paused. "It's called a dream because some think that it is something only attainable in your illusion. But I don't believe that. I suppose that everything is within our reach; we just have to stretch our hands and grab it. Though it's your choice; will you turn your back on your dream because of fear? Or will you risk it and turn that dream into a reality?"

 

That night, Eunbi's life changed 180° degrees; of course, for the better. And that was also the time that she realized that the other wasn't just a best friend to her, she was a lot more. 

 

Her youth wasn't the only thing that started with Hyewon.

 

Hyewon was also the dawn that lit up Eunbi's darkened heart. 

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

With all of these memories flashing through her mind, it would be false to say that Eunbi's eyes did not drip with honey; did not sparkle with diamonds. For the memory of Hyewon, will always awaken her numbed soul.

 

Taking in another sip of her champagne, she felt her world slowly quake. Probably because of the alcohol in her system. This feeling was all too familiar, it was as if she had felt this quake before. Well, her world always shook without Hyewon. 

 

Taking up the feeling of tipsiness, Eunbi held her phone, staring at Hyewon's number. It was always like this. Every single night, all she could do was stare endlessly at Hyewon's number. Her finger slowly finding its way to the dial icon, however, retreats when it gets too close. She was scared. She was scared of knowing if Hyewon resented her for what she did. If Hyewon was ever mad at her for leaving. 

 

FLASHBACK

 

"Congratulations on becoming a trainee!" "Good luck on becoming an idol!" "Don't forget me when you're famous!"

 

When news broke out at school that Eunbi was accepted at a popular entertainment company, everyone's eyes diverted on her. 

 

Of course it was great that they were finally recognizing her. However, what good could it be? What's good with a thousand eyes staring; when she only yearns for Hyewon's eyes upon her? 

 

Eunbi continued walking down the halls, just smiling at those who still continue to congratulate her. Beaming at them, until she was taken aback by a sudden hug.

 

"You made it, Eun. I knew you would. I'm so proud of you.", Hyewon caressed Eunbi's hair, still keeping her locked in the hug. 

 

"I can't breathe, you know.", the other teasingly said. 

 

With Eunbi's time now occupied with her training, her time spent with Hyewon grew smaller and smaller until they just didn't spend time together anymore. Though, she was too busy to notice.

 

Today was one of the days that Eunbi finally had the time to attend a whole school day. She never expected how much of her time would be spent training over and over again. But, it was her dream. She would continue it even if she had to drop out. 

 

"Eunbi! You're here!", Hyewon squealed at the sight of her. 

 

"Hi, Hye.", she smiled. But instead of getting a smile back, Hyewon's face was evident with sadness.

 

"You look like sh*t, Eun. If you were this tired, you could've just stayed at home.", Hyewon caressed Eunbi's hair lovingly. 

 

"I'm okay, Hye. I wanted to go to school, I missed those boring lectures of Teacher Kim.", she grinned. 

 

The day went by in a blink of an eye. She could finally go and rest up for the day. 

 

Eunbi slung her bag onto her shoulder, preparing to go back to her shared dorm with the other trainees.

 

"Eunbi! You leaving?", Hyewon appeared all of a sudden. 

 

"Well, yeah. I don't really have anything to do right now."

 

"How about you come with me? To our sanctuary?", Hyewon held Eunbi's hand while staring at her eyes.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter