06 The Dumb and the Dumber

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Drama, Fluff, Romance

Summary: Hyewon a lawyer, known for being strict and cold, had loved Eunbi all her life. She knew Eunbi, a PDEA agent felt the same towards her, but she doesn't have enough courage to pursue a relationship with the latter because of the consequences that might ensue.

With a couple of other obstacles along the way; Eunbi hunting the notorious drug lord that killed her father years ago and Hyewon hiding a huge secret from Eunbi, will the two be given another chance in love or is it really the end of their love story that did not really start in the first place?

Word Count: 8170

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_TheDumbAndTheDumber

 

The Dumb and the Dumber

 

Third Person’s POV

 

“Attorney Kang, I’m really sorry. I just had a huge problem at home that’s why I wasn’t able to study for the oral exams. Please give me another chance. I promise I wouldn’t mess up the next time.” A beautiful young girl was desperately walking alongside a woman in suit who was calmly looking ahead, not even bothering to give the other a single glance. She was holding a law book in her right arms and she’s wearing a serious face as she approaches her car. ‘Here we go again, huh’. The lawyer thought. 

 

“Ma’am, I’m begging you, please! I cannot fail! My father would surely disown me! He expects so much from me, I can’t…I can’t fail like this.” The female student was practically begging on her knees, slightly tugging the fabric of the professor’s gray slacks, with tears rolling down her face.

 

“I’ll do anything. Just please give me another chance. I’ll grant any wish that you have. I could even offer myself to you. I heard you’re into pretty girls.” The female student said, looking up to the purple-haired woman in front of her. Their eyes met. She could now see a bit of a hope because not unlike earlier when she felt like the professor would totally ignore her existence, she finally looked at her. The girl then stood up. 

 

“You’re willing to go that far, huh? You’re even willing to offer yourself to me? Are you sure of that, Ms. Kwon?”  The female lawyer smirked. 

 

“Y-yes, Attorney.” The law student stuttered, nervousness was really evident in her face and actions now. The professor suddenly cornered the student, with her back against her car, snaking one of her hands on her waist and placing the other on her car. She’s slowly closing the gap between them, intently looking at the eyes of the student who’s now hypnotized by her stare; but, instead of leaning in to kiss her, she went for her ears and whispered something to the student. 

 

The girl’s eyes widened, as if a shocking news was delivered to her. The professor then withdrew from their position, roughly pushed the girl away from her car and looked at her disgustingly. 

 

“I would never want to see your face ever again. You better enroll yourself in another law school. That is, if they would still accept someone like you. Because who knows, I might have tipped them into knowing that you have done such a thing.” She once again wore a smirk on her face, which was really nerve-wracking but y at the same time.   

 

The student ran away with her head hung low. She’s suppressing a loud cry from by covering it with both of her hands; not even attempting to look back. 

 

~-~

 

Hyewon’s POV

 

I was about to start the engine, when somebody knocked on the windows of my car. I was still pissed off right now and I was about to lash out at the person who disrupted me but instead of doing that, my eyes widened in surprise. 

 

“Hey.” She told me as I unlocked the door for her to be able to sit at the shotgun seat. My expression quickly did a 360-degree turn; from my usual Antarctic-like behavior into something really warm, kind of like a blanket during rainy days. 

 

“Eunbi-unnie! What brings you here? I thought you were busy?” I didn’t expect that she’ll visit me here; the last time we met, she told me she’s going to be busy on her job. She’s a PDEA agent after all, and she told me they were chasing a huge drug syndicate that they’ve been trying to arrest for how many years now.    

 

“Nah, I just missed you. Am I not allowed to visit my best friend? Come here, give me a hug, quick.” I looked away, trying to suppress my smile but then I obliged. I really missed this woman. The only Kwon that matters. 

 

“Of course, not. I missed you too, Eunbi-unnie. It’s been so long since we last hang out.” I told her as I snuggled close to her, feeling the warmth of her embrace. 

 

“Alright, I’m sorry, okay? But I’m already here and I’ll make sure I’ll compensate for the times we missed.” She told me as she patted my head softly. I’m not really a fan of skinships but just like what they say, there’s always an exception to the rule. And she’s my only exception. 

 

After a day of stressful trial for a tax case that I had managed to win and a three-hour lecture as a law professor, this is just what I needed to recharge my energy. 

 

“Hmmm... But Hyewonieee… While walking towards your car, I just bumped into a student who seems to be crying. Did you give someone a failing mark again? Hmmm, Attorney Kang?” She told me as she released herself from the hug. ‘But I want more hugs. Cuddle me more, please.’

 

“I’ve already told them that before. They shouldn’t dream of becoming a lawyer if they have such an attitude.” I pouted and crossed my arms. 

 

“In law school, if they committed a huge mistake, they would simply get a failing mark at most. But in the real practice? Making even the slightest mistake might ruin people’s lives. Imagine farmers not being able to get the land that was rightfully theirs just because you had failed in representing them in the court. That’s how crucial this line of job is. 

This is a harsh world so they shouldn’t be upset so easily just because of a failing mark. More than just academic learnings, I wanted to impart that important lesson to them.

 

But here you are, scolding me because of that. That’s unfair, Eunbi-unnie. Really unfair. Hmph.” I told her, whining like a kid, crossing my arms again.

 

“I rest my case, Attorney Kang. I would not argue with you anymore. I should have reminded myself that I would never won a debate with you.” ‘Let me correct that, I will never win against you, unnie. The moment I acknowledge my feelings for you, I had already accepted defeat. But of course, you don’t have to know that.’ 

 

Eunbi-unnie chuckled as she put both of her hands up, surrendering in defeat.   

 

“And as a form of apology, why don’t you give me another hug?” I told her and this time, it was I who had my arms wide open. She leaned closer as I felt her arms caressing my back gently. 

 

“But, enough about me. I know you have other reason or reasons why you personally went here instead of going straight to my flat. Tell me, I’m all ears. Is it about Sakura or Chaeyeon?”

 

I heard her sigh. “Both of them, actually.”

 

~-~

 

Eunbi’s POV

 

We were in her apartment, specifically in her dining table eating the food that we had bought from our favorite restaurant. We decided to eat here so that we would have more privacy, since this talk is going to be very confidential. 

 

 “If it’s about Kkura-unnie, I already told you, Eunbi-unnie. She’s a nice girl. I’m telling you; you’ve been wrong about your impression of her. Well, she might be a really conceited bi*ch who hates losing but overall, she’s a great person. Though, I can’t say the same about Chaeyeon.” She told me as she was munching on her food, sauce all over . ‘She really loves eating. She never really changed that much even after all these years.’ 

 

I grabbed a tissue and I started wiping the corners of . 

 

“But I’m also telling you this, Hyewonieee. She really is a part of that drug syndicate or maybe even one of the higher ups! I’m sure of it. She’s just acting as an asset of PDEA but she really works for them. I’ll make sure I’ll gather enough evidence to successfully prove it to them and to you. Isn’t it really suspicious how our operations always fail for how many years now? I’m 1000% certain it’s because someone from the organization is leaking the information to them! And I’m sure it’s that Miyawaki!” I told her really frustratedly, so I kind of murdered her lips as I wiped the traces of the sauce in it. 

 

“Awww. Slow down, unnie. Don’t vent out your anger on my poor mouth!” She said as she touched her lips. 

 

“Ooops. Sorry.” I told her as I cutely give her a peace-sign. 

 

She looked away and cleared before proceeding to the conversation. “And what about Chaeyeon? Hmmm? Is she being a bi*ch to you again?” She said, wearing a serious face. 

 

“I don’t know. I’ve always put up to all her not-so-good—”

 

“You mean horrible. Horrible and toxic.”

 

“Shhh. Don’t interrupt me when I’m seriously talking here.” I told her as I gave her a glare. She just tightly shut , closing the invisible zipper in it. 

 

“As I was saying, I’ve always put up to that attitude of her thinking that she would soon go back to the person I first met back when we were in high school. I thought I just have to wait and show her how much I love her and everything would eventually be fine but our relationship’s becoming more toxic. Being in love means understanding your partner, right? They said that if you show them that you understand them, they will change for you even if you would not dictate them to do so, right? But why is she getting—in your terminology, horrible as time passes by?”

 

“Unnie, for a relationship to work, being understanding and making compromises should not be a one-way street. It shouldn’t only be you who’s always giving. That of course, is a good trait of yours but you also have to think about yourself, unnie. What if one day, because you always give bits and pieces of yourself to her, you would just realize you’re already empty? You always follow what she wants, but what about you? What about the things that you like? What about your emotions? 

 

Find someone, who might not walk the same path as you, but would try their best to arrive at the same destination as yours. Love shouldn’t be toxic, unnie. It should instead be a safe haven for two people in love.” She told me, calmly. 

 

“I actually have found that person many years ago, but sadly, she doesn’t feel the same way towards me.” I’m looking at the glass I’m holding, a sad smile crept up my face. Hyewon remained silent. “Anyway, it’s getting late. I have to go home now. I’ll be having a dinner date with Chaeng tomorrow. Wish me luck, okay?

 

And no, you don’t have to go with me. My unit’s just a floor beneath yours. I can walk alone. I know you’re already tired because of your hectic schedule. Good night, Hyewonieeee!” I tried sounding cheerful to change the air between us. I looked at her and I caught her staring at me with pain in her eyes. She might already be pitying me right now. Well, I sure do look pathetic and miserable. I can’t really blame her if she would think of me that way.  

 

She just looked away and simply nodded as a response.  

 

“Good night, Eunbi-unnie. I’ll see you again next time.”

 

~-~

 

Hyewon’s POV

 

I knew exactly who she was referring to when she said those lines. 

 

It was me. 

 

The person who had rejected her in high school, saying that I only see her as an unnie. 

 

Bullsh*t. 

 

I had loved Eunbi-unnie all my life. Not as an unnie but romantically, as a woman. I didn’t even try committing in a relationship because I knew that it would not work out. The reason? It’s because there’s only a single Eunbi in this world and I would never find her in the facade of another person. 

 

I would just continuously compare every girl that I met with her, finding fault on them because they simply could not be her. 

 

That’s not possible. 

 

I think that that would be unfair to them so I just chose not to engage myself in a romantic relationship with anyone. 

 

Eunbi’s the standard. 

 

Anyone below the standard is unacceptable. 

 

She’s that special to me.  

 

But then you heard it right. I rejected her. Back in high school. 

 

[Flashback during their high school days]

 

“Stop pacing back and forth, will you? I am getting dizzy just by looking at you, unnie. Tell me, what’s bothering you?” She stopped for a while, looked at me and her face instantly turned tomato red. She looked away and then started pacing back and forth. Again. 

 

I went to her direction and stopped her by holding her shoulders, forcing her to face me. “Stop being so stubborn. Tell me already. Hmmm? Seeing you stressed over something stresses me out as well. So, do us both a favor, will you?”

 

“Promise, you won’t judge me?” She told me, shyly looking at the floor. 

 

‘Sometimes I was really wondering who’s really the younger one between the two of us. She looks so cute right now, I wanna boop her nose. She just talks in uwu and I couldn’t help but babie her every time she does that. Chour. 

 

Not chour.’

 

“I promise, I won’t. So, what is it?”

 

“Ineededtolearnhowtokissproperlysopleaseteachme!”

 

“Come again? I only understand the ‘teach me’ part. If it’s only acads that’s been bothering you for a while now, you could have told me earlier. Tell me what subject it is. Come on, tell me. Is it math again?”

 

“OH MY GHADNISS, HYEWON, I SAID TEACH ME HOW TO KISS!” She shouted at me and then she proceeded to hide her face using both of her hands. 

 

“WHAT?” Did I hear what she said correctly?

“DON’T ‘WHAT’ ME! I KNEW YOU HEARD ME!” She said, hiding her face with her palms.

“Wait, unnie, don’t shout at me. Calm down, okay? I heard you. I was just...trying to…absorb what you just said…”

 

“Okay, I’m sorry for shouting but. AAAARGH!” She whined like a child again, messing her hair up in frustration. 

 

“You know this is also embarrassing for me, right? Don’t you want to? Should I just ask Sakura to teach me?” Upon hearing another girl’s name, I got really mad.

 

“What? Kkura? Heck no. And why do you want to learn how to kiss in the first place?” I asked her in annoyance. 

 

“Because it’s a known hearsay in our school that a girl’s first kiss usually happens during their prom. And I’m afraid I’ll be an embarrassment on my partner.” She told me, shyly. 

 

“And do you have a partner already? In the prom? For you to get too worked up like that?” I asked her. Is it that the Chaeyeon girl that’s been bugging her these days?

 

“It’s a secret. You’ll know it soon. So what now? Do you agree?” She asked me, hope was reflected in her eyes. I’m in trouble. 

 

I’m in deep trouble. 

 

I knew I was, but then… I nodded. I in’ nodded because that was such a tempting offer. To claim the first kiss of the girl that I’ve been in love with all my life. 

 

“Shall we start now?” I could sense nervousness seeping out of her. This set up…is it really fine with her?

 

“Are you really okay with this? We could stop now and pretend like you didn’t tell me anything. I promise I would act as if nothing happened.”

 

“No, I have to do this.” There was still a hint of nervousness in her voice, but then she’s b with so much determination in her eyes. What a lucky girl or guy, indeed. Her partner to the prom, I mean. 

 

I sighed in my thoughts. I guess I have to do this. Better with me than with someone else, right?

 

I guided her towards edge of my bed and we both sit down, facing each other. I actually don’t have that much of an experience when it comes to kissing. Aside from the two that I had because curiosity got the best of me, I had only seen couples kissing from the shows that I’ve watched. 

 

I cupped her face, as I slowly leaned to close the gap between us. I saw her close her eyes and I did the same. I felt something soft placed on my lips. I could feel the wild thumping of my heart.

 

I wish she would not notice how I was driven crazy just from having such contact with her. Her presence indeed makes a difference. A lot, of difference, actually. 

 

We stayed like that for about three seconds and then I broke away from the contact. 

 

“That’s lesson number one and that’s called a peck.” I steal a glance at her and I saw her blushing, touching her lips with her right hand. 

 

“Hmmm. That’s a simple one. What’s lesson number two?” She eyed me curiously. 

 

“It’s a step above a peck but it’s still a simple one. It’s called a ‘lip kiss’. You just have to move your lips against mine. Are you fine with that? You know you could always bail out. I wouldn’t ask you anything.” I peeked at her expression, worried that this might be awkward for her. 

 

Well, who am I kidding. This is surely awkward. I mean, who the heck agrees to teach their best friend how to kiss? Only idiots would do that. 

 

And yes, I know I’m a complete idiot.

 

“No, I’m fine. Let’s do it.” She pulled me closer to her using my shirt’s collar as she closed her eyes. I kissed her bottom lip making her kiss the top of mine. I started moving my lips against her, savoring what seems to be a strawberry-flavored lip balm. She’s not reacting at first, but as seconds passes by, she managed to match my movement. 

 

She then placed her hands on my neck as I placed mine on her waist, getting addicted to the feeling this sort of intimate contact gives me. Right now, I could only focus on how soft her lips are and the intensified beating of my heart, almost like a drum forming a fast rhythm.

 

I was aware that this wasn’t the case for the girl in front of me since it’s basically a one-sided love, and she’s just curious as heck but right now, I couldn’t lie, not even to myself. There were raw emotions on the way my lips moved against hers and how I gently supported her waist using my arms. 

 

The warm feeling of her breath was really inviting, heightening up my desire to do more… to wish for more and to just confess to her right here, right now. 

 

But then, just like someone waking up from a really nice dream, I completely killed my thoughts and broke away from the kiss, gasping for air. 

 

“Why did you suddenly stop? I was just getting the hang of it.” She complained, breathless. “Come on, let’s do it again.” She was about to lean towards me again when I stood up from my seat, cutting her.   

 

“I think that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter