11 Of Love and Foolishness

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Angst, Drama, Romance

Summary: Hyewon fell in love with Eunbi and she promised herself she wouldn't do anything--literally anything to hurt her. Hyewon was the perfect girlfriend. Very ideal. Too good to be true. Letting her go would definitely be a loss on your part.

But what if...after years of being together, Eunbi suddenly, out of nowhere, decided to break up with her?

Word Count: 3389

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_OfLoveAndFoolishness

 

Of Love and Foolishness

 

Hyewon’s POV

 

I am the type of person who doesn’t mind waiting—especially for the right reasons. 

 

I don’t get easily annoyed whenever I’m waiting, especially when the reason behind it is something that I’ve been looking forward to. 

Is it weird when I say that I love waiting? Is it weird when I say that it gives me that exciting feeling of anticipation—something that I wouldn’t get to experience if things are just served immediately right in front of me? 

I know waiting comes with uncertainties; but that thought of experiencing the unknown and not being able to foresee things makes waiting more thrilling for me. 

 

And I love thrill.

 

“You know what, Kwangbae? The reason why you’re always being taken advantage of is that absurd thinking of yours. You indeed are an odd one. I don’t really get your logic sometimes.”

“I know.” I chuckled. “Thanks, Ducky.” 

“That’s not a compliment, silly.” She left me with a worried face even if I told her I feel fine. 

But that’s genuinely what I feel though?

 

……

 

That cold night I was waiting. 

I was sitting on a bench, busy admiring the night sky and how breathtaking it was—the kind that would leave you in utter awe just by simply looking at it. 

I love gazing at the stars. 

I love gazing at them. 

I love it so much that I always find myself looking at her eyes; for that pretty pair of orbs holds not only the night sky but the entire universe. 

 

“I was praised by our dance teacher! She said I did great covering Monster! I really practiced hard for that and seeing all my efforts get acknow—Hyewonieeee.” She whined like a cute ‘babie’. It was as if it I am the older one here. “You’re not paying attention again. I always caught you spacing out.”

“Yeah. Sorry it’s just that…I can’t help but admire how your eyes sparkle a bit brighter whenever you talk about the things you love.” She looked away with a small blush on her face. Cute. 

 

That scenario—me spacing out while looking at you, had happened a lot of times. But can you blame me? How can one not be lost in such a beautiful abyss? In fact, I’ll willingly not find my way back.  

 

I suddenly then felt warm hands covering my eyes. It wasn’t really difficult to know that it’s her—Eunbi-unnie. 

 

She came. I know she would. I’m certain she would. 

 

It was cold but I enjoyed the peaceful silence even if we were doing absolutely nothing. 

This night, and the previous nights, with her beside me, even if we are doing absolutely nothing, feels really nice and comforting. 

Her presence alone is enough to comfort me—touch me on places no one has ever did before. 

 

She’s my safe place. 

That’s for sure.    

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

That cold night I was waiting.

 

I was in front of the famous Christmas tree in town. I was wearing the cute dress she gifted me because maybe, probably, I wanted to impress her and see that adorable expression of hers when she fails to hide the sudden gush of blood circulating on her face.  

I never thought about how it would be freezing cold tonight. Standing in front of the tree, shivering; hugging myself while caressing my arms with my hands, I suddenly felt warm as a jacket was carefully placed in my shoulders. 

 

I turned around and I saw her. With that worried eyes.

 

“I knew it. I’m glad I brought a spare coat. Aigoo. I already knew that you’re cute, okay? You don’t have to impress me anymore.” She told me, patting my head gently. 

 

Once again, I fell. 

Even deeper, this time. 

 

It was I who planned to make her fall deeper, but it backfired. Not that I’m complaining, though. 

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

That cold night I was waiting.

 

I was counting the passing cars. I observed how some people are restless—trying to catch a vehicle that would take them home. How some are just walking slowly, jamming along with the breeze. How some looked happy, while others looked devastated. How some of them looked like they were wanting to it all up and be free. 

A peach motorbike stopped in front of me. A woman wearing a red dress—creating a contrast with the darkness of the evening came down. She removed her helmet and tossed me mine. 

 

I looked at her and I saw how the corners of her lips curved upward. 

That was just enough to make me feel warm inside. 

It was the same kind of warmth that had always bring me peace.

She makes me breathless; but she also helps me breathe whenever I feel like the world’s drowning and suffocating me with its toxicity.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

That cold night I was walking. 

 

I was taking a mental note; listing things that I would do while waiting for her. And oh, I am also recalling the plans that I had carefully thought of regarding how we’re going to celebrate tonight’s occasion. 

I was looking down on the road as I was nearing the bench where I usually sit during times like these. I then looked straight, but I was surprised to see her there, sitting. Kind of lost in her thoughts.

 

I had truly loved waiting. 

 

But of course, I had also wondered, ‘What does it feel like when you are the one being waited on? I was so used to being the one who’s waiting but that doesn’t mean I never wished to experience what it feels like if I was on the opposite end... 

 

Not until tonight. 

This very night. 

   

This time, instead of me, it was her who was sitting there on the bench were I usually sat whenever I’m waiting for her arrival. 

I had never felt so blissful, so overjoyed and ecstatic before this moment. 

 

I thought the thrill that ‘waiting’ gives me is already fulfilling.

 

But I thought wrong. 

The emotions that I have right now was so overwhelming I don’t think I could perfectly capture it with just words. She was just there, sitting but in my eyes, she’s shining 1000 times more. 

 

“Hey. Spacing out again, aren’t you?” She smiled at me. 

“Hey.” I said as I sat near her. I was so excited to tell her how we would be spending this night when she suddenly called out my name. 

“Hyewon?”

“Hmmm?” I answered her gently, still recalling the plans that I have in my mental list. 

“Let’s break up.” 

“Come again?”

“Let’s break up.”

 

A long silence ensued. This isn’t the silence that I have grown accustomed to.  

This isn’t the kind of silence that comforts me. 

 

This is the type that kills me. From within. Shattering not only my heart but I, on my entirety. 

 

I was so distracted a while ago by my emotions that I didn’t even see how different her eyes look tonight. It was oddly different. Not the look of happiness. Not of worry. Not even of sadness. It was blank. 

 

Just blank. 

 

There were so many uncertainties this world and this life holds, but I have always been comforted by the fact that whenever I looked at her eyes, I see certainty. Like it was especially made to erase every bit of doubt that I have. 

 

But tonight. It was…blank. 

 

Devoid of any emotion. And that scared me. 

 

It had scared the sh*t out of me.  

 

With the last ounce of strength that was left with me, I managed to utter,

 

“Would you tell me why? Where did it go wrong? Where did I go wrong? I thought we’re all good?”

 

“That’s what made it so wrong, Hye. We’re too good. We’re too ideal. We’re too perfect to the point of being predictable.

 

I don’t want perfect, Hye. I want real. Not perfect, but real. 

 

You were too ideal for me. You’re too understanding. You’re not even complaining whenever I’m committing mistakes. 

 

I even hurt you on purpose, Hye. But you just... accepted it. Like it was nothing for you. You didn’t get mad at me. You just shrugged all those away, as if it didn’t pain you. As if I didn’t hurt you.

 

I want us to be a normal couple. But you made it too difficult for us to have something normal.”

 

“Because I wanted to do everything I can to make you feel loved, Eunbi. I...have given you my all…I…”

 

“That’s the problem, Hye. 

 

You love me too much. 

 

And I don’t really know… I might regret saying this but yeah…too much love really bores me. 

 

You bore me, Hye. 

 

I don’t feel excitement in this relationship anymore. It’s like an everyday routine that I was used to doing. 

 

I didn’t know why but it felt tiring. 

 

You felt tiring. 

 

This…what we have…it exhausts me. Isn’t it supposed to be the other way around when it comes to love?

 

So I tried asking myself…

 

Is this still worth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter