26 Journey to pick me

KangBi Through The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Genre: Drama, Hurt/Comfort, Music

Summary: This is the story about Eunbi and Hyewon before Produce 48

Word Count: 6671

Hashtag: #IntoTheKangBiVerse_JourneyToPickMe

 

Journey to pick me

 

Kwon Eunbi takes the last step on the ladder. Today was another tiring day and only a couple of steps again, she can be at home. Where she can release all of her burden on her shoulder.

 

Dim light can be seen from her house—or rather her room, a former warehouse with the cheapest rent she could find. Yes, someone's there and Eunbi knows who's there. Her girlfriend.

 

She opens the door and puts out her shoes. "Hyewon, I'm home!"

 

"Ooo," Hyewon shouts, confirming. Her voice comes from the bathroom. "Have you eaten?"

 

"Yes, I ate with Chaewon, Sohee, and Suyun. How about you?"

 

"Yes, but still hungry."

 

Eunbi chuckles then she sits on the floor beside their bed. Well, she's dirty right now, needs to shower first then she's free to go to the bed. Where she can lay down and end the day.

 

Their home is so small. It only has 2 rooms, a bedroom, and a bathroom. They can't cook here, but fortunately, there's a public kitchen on the floor below, the 3rd floor. Yes, they live in 3 story buildings and yes they live on the rooftop.

 

The sound of the bathroom door opening makes Eunbi reflexively turn her head. Kang Hyewon—the most beautiful girl in this world for Eunbi—comes out from showering.

 

"Good work today," Hyewon says, her hand still patting her hair with a towel. "How's your day?"

 

"You too, good work today," Eunbi smiles. Her eyes stare at Hyewon. "Nothing much, we only keep practicing like usual."

 

"Come here," Hyewon puts the towel wrapped on her hair then she reaches out her hands.

 

"What? No, I'm dirty. Let me take a bath first."

 

Hyewon clicks her tongue. Rather than waiting for Eunbi to hug her, she decided to hug Eunbi even with force.

 

Eunbi can't do much, she lets Hyewon hug her after a little struggle. "There's something bothering you, right?"

 

Eunbi keeps silent but eventually nods. Hyewon can see through her anyway, no need to lie. "But I'm okay. I told you it's nothing."

 

Hyewon doesn't let her go. "Yes, yes, I trust you. Tell me whenever you're ready."

 

Eunbi buries her face in Hyewon's arms. "Okay…" Every second of it is healing her. The burden on her shoulder—and heart—is being lifted by someone dearest. "But really, let me shower first."

 

"Let's stay like this for a moment."

 

"Hm?" Eunbi notices something. "Our Hyewon also faced a long day, huh?"

 

Hyewon shakes her head, "I just missed you."

 

Not only Hyewon can see through Eunbi, but Eunbi also can see through Hyewon. Moreover with that cheesy line. "You're a terrible liar, you know?"

 

Hyewon clicks her tongue—again. Then releases her hug. "Go shower, you stink."

 

Eunbi laughs, she's right then. "Okay, don't sleep first. Wait for me."


 

***


 

Eunbi opens her eyes slowly. Her hand fumbled for the alarm clock. With one eye, she can see it's 4.58 AM. 2 minutes earlier before her alarm goes off.

 

Eunbi takes a warm look at Hyewon who's beside her. Still in dreamland, she thought. She turns off the alarm, giving Hyewon time to finish her dream.

 

She yawns. Her tears gather at the corner of her eyes before she wipes it out. Today is Wednesday, another weekday in a week. She can't slack off now, her schedule is packed.

 

From 7 AM to 1 PM she needs to work at the Paris Bakery store. 6 hours shift a day, 4 days a week. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Well, not too bad because the pay can barely cover the grocery cost.

 

Eunbi gets ready to go to work until 6 AM, then she wakes Hyewon up and eats two slices of plain bread without anything else except water. It'll make her full until lunchtime. Now she's ready to go.

 

"Hyewon, I'm off! Don't be late for your practice today!"

 

"Ooo," Hyewon says, confirming while her eyes still shut tight.

 

Today is a rather good day, the weather is nice and not too cold either. Eunbi can wait comfortably at the bus stop.

 

The bus comes on time, at 6.15 AM. Eunbi goes in and taps her bus card on the machine. She also greets the driver, "Good morning."

 

"Oh, yes," the driver—a middle-aged man—replies with a bit surprised, "Good morning."

 

Eunbi sits on the left side of the bus. She puts out her phone and types a message for Hyewon.

 

Good luck with finding a part-time job. You will get it soon and wake up!

 

Her Wednesday is starting now.


 

***


 

Hyewon can feel the vibrate from her phone. Even though the phone is on the table and she's still lying on the bed. She stares at the ceiling for a couple of seconds and then gets up.

 

She takes a look at who's messaged her. Actually, deep down she knows there's only one person who's messaged her this early in the morning.

 

Good luck with finding a part-time job. You will get it soon and wake up!

 

Hyewon chuckles. "She really often does this." She replies with short sentences.

 

I'm awake. Good luck with your practice.

 

Hyewon puts away her phone, grabs the bread, and eats it. She has a more flexible schedule than Eunbi because she doesn't have any part-time job, yet. She usually goes to her agency to practice at 9 AM and spends like 12 hours there. Practicing everything she can. Sing, dance, and even music like guitar and piano. That's the best thing she can do until she gets a part-time job like Eunbi.

 

From now, her parents still give her money. Since Eunbi covers the groceries, Hyewon covers the monthly rent. They have been doing this for months and it's the best way they can to survive.

 

For other costs, they need to work more. Like giving a pamphlet with various customs on the weekend. Anyhow they survived.

 

Hyewon takes a look at their home, "Time to do some cleaning."

 

Her Wednesday is starting… well it starts after she finishes the cleaning.

 

***


 

The sun shines brightly, even when the weather's still cold. It doesn't require an extra step to keep Eunbi's body warm. Eunbi walks from the bus stop to her agency building, Woling Entertainment.

 

She finished her part-time and now time to practice. Her training practice starts at 2 PM, but she always comes 20 to 30 minutes before. It can happen because it only takes about 15 minutes with the bus from her working place.

 

There's one thing that is odd. Today, nothing bad has happened so far. Yeah, usually Eunbi deals with, at least, one annoying customer at work. Or maybe at least the bus she took got one or two red lights. But today, for some reason, all green.

 

She's standing still in front of the main door. Preparing herself to open the door and start to greet other trainees and practice. Actually, she's scared. There's too much fortune today, and the universe won't let it happen for free. There must be something bad waiting for her.

 

She opens the door and Chaewon greets her with the loudest voice she can make. "Eunbi-unnie!" Chaewon shouts. As if they're on the outside. "Come here! We have something interesting to tell you."

 

Eunbi, almost surprised to death by Chaewon's voice, nods and then walks closer. "What is it, Chaewon?" Eunbi asks, half curious and half furious. "It's better to be good, I almost died from a heart attack, you know?"

 

Chaewon smiles, looking confident with what she wants to share. "It's an important matter."

 

Eunbi takes a look at Suyun and Sohee beside her. They also have the same sparkling eyes as Chaewon. Well, to be honest, it makes Eunbi feel excited.

 

"Just tell me then," she can't hold her smile.

 

"Unnie, lower your voice!" Suyun says at whisper volume. "It's confidential..."

 

Sohee agrees. "Yes, lower your voice, not everyone knows this. We happen to know because of Chaewon."

 

Eunbi narrows her eyes. Looking at Chaewon with doubt. This girl maybe will cause her the accumulated unfortunate. "What? What did you do now, you little rascal?"

 

"I swear I didn't do anything," Chaewon defends herself and waves her hands. "Seriously, I only hear it because it happens that-"

 

Sohee cuts Chaewon, "Cmon! Just tell her Chaewon!"

 

Chaewon clears , "Unnie, do you know I.O.I?"

 

Eunbi nods.

 

"Then how about Wanna One?" Chaewon asks again.

 

"Of course I know…" Eunbi scoffs, can't believe Chaewon asked if Eunbi knew them. "Who doesn't know them? Why? They will come here?"

 

Chaewon takes a glance at Suyun and Sohee then smiles from ear to ear. "No, unnie. Better than that."

 

"They're here?!" Eunbi loses control of her voice, then realizes it and says the same question with lower volume. "They're... here?"

 

The trio, Chaewon, Suyun, and Sohee laughs. "No unnie. Better than that!"

 

Eunbi exhales a heavy breath, can't believe they're messing with her. "Just tell me then."

 

Chaewon covers from the side. "They will open the new Produce 101 series and you know what? Woling, our company, will participate and send trainees."

 

Eunbi drops her bag. "...tell me again. I think I can't hear you."

 

"We have a chance to join the new Produce 101 and not only one trainee. The management will send trainees! More than one!"

 

Eunbi's mouth is wide open. "So, we have a chance to debut?"

 

Chaewon, Suyun, and Sohee nod, then one second later, Eunbi screams. "We have a chance!"

 

The trio was surprised by that scream. They cover Eunbi's mouth as soon as possible with everything they got. Because once again, this should be confidential info.

 

Eunbi brushes their hand and smiles, "Let's practice! Cmon! Let's go, you guys!"

 

***

 

"Hyewon, the manager wants to meet you."

 

Hyewon is a little surprised. What happened? It's not like she did something terrible or good enough to be called by the manager.

 

"Yeojin and Sooah too. You three go to the manager room right now."

 

Hyewon is looking at each other with Yeojin and Sooah. Both of them are her senior, only several months different, but still her senior. They get up and go to the manager's office.

 

Yeojin knocks on the door. It seems there's another person besides the manager there. It's not very usual for him to cover the window curtains.

 

"Please come in!" someone from the inside says. They recognize the voice. Yeojin opens the door and they come in.

 

There are three people there. The manager and 2 guests. The guests were dressed very neatly and looked like someone important. "Welcome, Yeojin, Hyewon, and Sooah. Please take a seat."

 

The manager continues, "Say hello, this is Mr. Park and Ms. Kim, they are here for inviting one of you to the new Produce 101 show."

 

Hyewon speaks her mind, "P-Produce?"

 

Ms. Kim smiles, "Yes, Hyewon-ssi. We believe you guys know about Produce 101. The one that produced I.O.I and Wanna One."

 

"Yes, of course, we know. We will do our best!" Sooah says, her voice sounds excited and thrilled at the same time.

 

"Good attitude, Soaah! Okay, you guys can go back. We will discuss it and announce this later. Don't tell anyone else."

 

Yeojin, Hyewon, and Sooah smile from ear to ear and say, "Yes sir."

 

They leave the room. Sooah suddenly speaks her mind, can't hold on to her excitement. "I can't believe it. Ya, Hyewon! Pinch me in the cheek. I bet I'm still sleeping."

 

Hyewon chuckles, "No, you're not. We're pretty much awake."

 

"Just do it!" Sooah grabs Hyewon's hand and puts it on her cheek. Hyewon pinches it a little—yes, just a little too strong. Definitely not on purpose.

 

"Ouch! What's wrong with you!"

 

"I told you, we're awake."

 

Yeojin laughs. "Now with that pinch, we know this is not a dream. One of us has a chance to debut. Let's do the best, Sooah, Hyewon!"

 

Sooah smiles with sparkling eyes. Hyewon smiles too, but a bitter smile. Yeah, she knows and is grateful for this once life chance. But…

 

"We need to practice more. What time do you usually come, Hyewon?"

 

Snapped from her thought, Hyewon responds with another question, "Me? Around 9 AM, why?"

 

Yeojin replies with awe, "Woah, so basically you live here during the day? Incredible."

 

"Not exactly true tho," Hyewon is a bit embarrassed and proud at the same time. "But I guess so."

 

"Okay, let's meet here every day at 9 AM until they announce who will participate in the Produce. Let's do our best guys!"

 

"Agree!" Sooah says, but a little too loud. "We need to be as diligent as Hyewon."

 

"I'm not…. I just…" Hyewon wants to deny it badly, but she can't. Those two keep blabbering nonsense.

 

Yeojin nods, "Yes, we know Hyewon, you don't need to be modest. Anyways, let's practice together and support each other. That way, we can succeed now and also in the future."

 

"Alright! For the future!" Sooah shouts again.

 

Hyewon laughs, "For the future? Haha, okay. For the future!"

 

"Yes, for our success! Let's support each other and debut!"

 

***

 

It's a tiring day. Actually, Hyewon feels more tired than usual. Her mind keeps telling her she needs to keep up with number one and number two best trainees in the whole 9D Creative agency.

 

"You're late," Eunbi says. She's holding a toothbrush and wearing her pajama already. "Good work, today."

 

"Yeah," Hyewon smiles. Seeing Eunbi at home really makes her mood suddenly go up. "I'm dead tired. Hug me, Eunbi-unnie!"

 

Eunbi gives Hyewon a don't-you-dare-look, "No thanks, go bath first."

 

Hyewon sighs in disappointment, "You're so mean. I'm really tired, you know?"

 

"Anyway," Eunbi ignores Hyewon and puts the toothpaste on her toothbrush. "Do you happen to know the good news? I think your agency must be noticed as well."

 

"Good news?" Hyewon asks Eunbi back, but suddenly realizes what she meant, "Do you mean, Produce 101?"

 

"Yes!" Eunbi exclaims excitedly. "So you know it too!"

 

"Of course I know," Hyewon laughs. "Did someone tell you? Your Coach?"

 

Eunbi nods, "Yes, I heard it from Chaewon. You know Hyewon, Woling will send trainees! We have a chance to debut!"

 

Hyewon is surprised. "Oh really? Good then."

 

"You don't seem to be excited. Is it something really bothering you?"

 

"No, it just…" Hyewon stops. She doesn't want to tell Eunbi about this because it's a mix of good news and bad news. "This afternoon, 9D manager told us, Yeojin, Sooah, and Me, to come to his room."

 

"Oh," Eunbi replies and thinks about something. "If I recall rightly, Yeojin and Sooah are the top trainees."

 

Hyewon nods, her face seems already super tired. "Yes, they are."

 

"Continue."

 

"Well, there's Mr. Park and Ms. Kim from the Produce team," Hyewon glances to Eunbi, waiting for her reaction.

 

"Oooh… Mr. Park and Ms. Kim, okay, continue."

 

Hyewon nods, "They said that one of us will be participating in the produce show."

 

"Oh…" Eunbi might know why Hyewon's mood suddenly dropped. Still uncertain, she decided to listen more before saying anything. 

Hyewon puts on the best smile she can do, "Yeah…"

 

"So," Eunbi's guessing, "Were those two doing something terrible today?"

 

"What? No…" she denies strongly. "Quite the opposite. They're nice and we will compete fairly and support each other."

 

"That's quite nice of them. They're supportive."

 

"Yeah…"

 

"Don't worry," Eunbi hugs Hyewon. "I know you will do alright. Let's do our best and if you want we can practice together."

 

Hyewon smiles a bit. "Yeah, let's practice together later."

 

"And shower, you stink."

 

Hyewon doesn't listen, she still

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter