Chapter 8

We Will Meet Again Someday

 

The next day, all of the DBSK members got up early because they  had  to go to a fan meeting. After getting themselves ready, they immediately went downstairs to the lobby to wait for their manager. They decided to just stay in the hotel lobby's waiting area.

 

            As they were waiting, they noticed something was going on in the reception area of the hotel. An elderly couple, both foreigners, were speaking with the hotel manager and one of the hotel receptionist. The couple were both speaking in a language unknown both to the manager and the receptionist. The old woman was obviously very upset already because she was speaking over and over again, but no one can seem to understand her.

 

            The boys were very intrigued by what was going on. So they continued to listen to what they were saying. After a few minutes of talking, the old lady started crying again. Then her husband started to consoled his wife and he too started to talk in a foreign language that no one in the hotel could understand.

 

           

            “It is really difficult to go to another country when you don't even know a litle bit of English,” Micky commented.

 

            “What language do you think they are using?” Max asked.

 

            “Sounds very strange. Maybe European or something because they look European to me,” Jaejoong commented also.

 

            “I hope someone will be able to help the,” Xiah said with concern.

 

            “Don't they have an interpreter or something in this hotel?” U-Know asked the others.

 

            “Well, the receptionist there seems to be their interpreter, but she still can't seem to communicate with them,” Micky said as he noticed it. “She's spoken in different languages already.”

 

            “Yeah, I think she's spoken in English, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese and even French,” U-Know also noticed.

 

            “Being an interpreter must be really tough. Imagine learning to speak so many languages,” Max commented again.

 

            “I don't think anyone can help them. It seems they speak a very rare language,” Jaejoong said.

 

            “That's too bad,” Max said with a sigh.

 

            After several minutes, Derline arrives in the hotel lobby. She immediately notices the boys waiting in the lobby. She walks straight to them.

 

            “Good morning! What are you guys doing here?” Derline greeted with a smile.

 

            “We were just waiting for you and our manager,” Xiah replied.

 

            “I'm not late, am I?” Derline asked again.

 

            “No, you're not. We just got prepared early and decided to wait here,” U-Know answered.

 

            “Oh... What are you guys looking at?” she asked again. Derline followed the direction that the boys were looking at.

 

            She also saw the lederly couple. The old woman was still crying. The manager was already very upset because the old lady was making a scene.

 

            “What's wrong with them?” Derline asked the boys.

 

            “We don't know. We can't understand a word they are saying,” Max answered.

 

            “What?” Derline asked again  as if confused.

 

            “The old couple are speaking in a language that no one in the hotel knows. So they are having a hard time communicating with one another,” Jaejoong tried to explain.

 

            “Oh! What language do you think they are speaking?” she asked again.

 

            “Don't know...It's the first time that we heard anyone speak that kind of language,” Xiah replied.

 

            Then the old lady stopped crying and started speaking again between sobs. Derline seriously listened to the old lady speak.

 

            The boys noticed that Derline was watching and listening very intently to the old woman. Judging by the look on her face, she was somehow able to understand what the old lady was saying.

 

            After the old lady spoke, she started crying again. Derline, on the other hand, was very silent as if she was thinking of something. Then after hearing the old lady cry, she then walked straight to the  manager and the old couple.

 

            “Hey Derline! Where are you going?” Max asked.

 

            “I'll be back in a minute,” she replied.

 

            The DBSK members were very curious as to what Derline was going to do. They were all thinking about how she would be able to help when no one can speak nor understand the language that the couple wee using.

 

            Derline walked straight to the manager.

 

            “Hello! Can I help in anyway? Maybe I can try and talk with them,” she asked politely.

 

            “No, I don't think so. They are speaking a language that even our interpreter can't understand. So it would be impossible for you to communicate with them,” the manager answered.

 

            “Well, at least let me try,” she said.

 

            “Okay,” the manager answered even though it was obvious judging by his facial expression that he didn't think Derline could do it.

 

            “Hello, I'm Derline. I want to help,” she said fluently in the language the couple were speaking.

 

            The old lady stopped crying and looked up at Derline.

 

            “You can speak Russian?” the old lady asked.

 

            “Yes,” Derline replied.

 

            “Oh, thank goodness! I was beginning to think that we were going to end up being stuck in this country without anyone understand us,” the old lady said.

 

            The DBSK boys heard Derline speak and talk with the old lady. They were impressed and curious as the same time. They were curious as to how Derline was able to know the language that the couple were speaking.

 

            Derline interpreted all the things the couple wanted to say to the manager. And after almost fifteen minutes, everything was settled. The old couple were already very happy and glad that Derline helped them. The old lady hugged and kissed Derline on the cheeks as a sign of  gratitude. And they all bad goodbye to one another.

 

            Derline went back to the boys who were still watching what was going on.

 

            “How can you know their language?” Max immedaitely asked Derline.

 

            “Let's just say I'm multi-lingual,” she replied with a smile.

 

            “What's the language they were speaking anyway?” Xiah asked.

 

            “Russian. Well, old style Russian really, the kind of dialect used by old people in the small provinces,” she explained.

 

            “How can you know that?” Jaejoong asked curiously.

 

            Derline just smiled. Then the hotel manager approached them.

 

            “Excuse me, I would just like to thank you personally for helping us out,” he said.

 

            “It's okay,” Derline replied.

 

            “If you ever need my help, please don' hesitate to call me,” the manager said with a smile.

 

            “Thank you,” Derline replied again. Then the manager left.

 

            The DBSK boys were about to ask Derline another question, when their manager suddenly appeared and told them to get ready to leave in a few minutes.

 

            They were very busy the whole day. So they didn't have the chance to interrogate Derline again regarding as to how she can speak Russian.