Entry #13

My Sunbae's Ex Likes Me?

My Roommate's POV

Wonder exactly when I started to have feelings for Hwiyoung?

Well to start this isn't going to be your traditional love at first sight kind of stories where we met coincidentally and found each other through a connection. Prepare for the worst love story on the planet.

Hwiyoung and I met at our freshman orientation and from there I don't know if God was trying to be my matchmaker of something but I kept having the same classes with him for the whole year meaning from Autumn to Spring Quarter there wasn't a day where I wouldn't see his face.

Granted we never really spoke up until this point but still I figured that one of us will start up a conversation because I was tired of the occasional eye contact.

When was the first time we talked to each other?

That would have had to have been when I was at the library trying to print out an essay at the very last minute and I ran out of money on my account. Which is why I tried to leave with the amount of pages I could since I couldn't risk failing another class.

However as I was packing up someone came up to me handing me about 3 dollars.

(Me)-Um thank you (I said taking the money from his hands)

Although he just simply nodded before walking away from me I thought to myself: "maybe we were at least meant to be friends at some point" as weird as that may sound, and ever since the printer incident he has just always been there for me whenever I was in a moment of crisis.

I know what you're thinking how did you not end up liking him back then? why did you only start developing feelings now?

To answer your questions I would just say that freshman year was quite chaotic for me as I was trying adapt to the college pace after just graduating high school and because of that my grades weren't that great.

So for the majority of that year I barely went to any parties or any social event on campus because I felt like I didn't deserve to have fun if my GPA was slowly going down the drain.

This ended up being the reason why I didn't have much of a social life and only made one friend by the end of the year who was Y/N.

The first time Hwiyoung and I officially started hanging out was when we were paired up for a group project and he was the only other member to have showed up to the library that day.

At first the two of us were quiet as the only sound was coming from us typing that is until I asked him about how the PowerPoint slides looked and he said "looks good" and then we just went back to basically finishing everyone else's work.

By the time we finished it was about 7pm and it was quite obvious that I had not eaten much all day based on how loud my stomach was growling.

(Hwiyoung)-Hey I was just about to get some food if you want to come with

(Me)-Yeah sure that would be great 

We ended up getting food from a food truck that sold burgers and just as I was about to head home to eat since I was so used to eating alone, I felt a hand on my wrist.

(Hwiyoung)-Would you mind keeping me company? since i just don't feel like eating alone today (he asked in a nervous tone)

I answered by finding a table for us and from there we made small talk and for the first time I felt like I saw myself in someone else as Hwiyoung also ate alone and was a introvert like I was.

As we were just about to leave for the day I decided to give him my number since it seemed like both of us needed a friend at the time.

Even though he took the piece of paper with my number on it, he never texted or called up until it was around Spring Break.

Here's the message he had sent:

(Hwiyoung)-Hey it's me I'm sorry I took so long to reach out to you

(Me)-No it's totally fine, how've you been? (I asked even though I basically saw him everyday in class)

(Hwiyoung)-Good, can I ask you something?

(Me)-Sure

(Hwiyoung)-Would you like to hang out tomorrow?

(Me)-What time? since I do have to go to church until around 2pm.

(Hwiyoung)-How about 2:30 then? I'll send you the address.

(My thoughts)-Wait this address leads to his house? Hmm I wonder why he wants me to meet him all of a sudden?


The next day

After service I took a bus to his house and rang the doorbell to see if anyone would answer.

Hwiyoung ended up opening the door and led me inside his place.

(Me)-So what made you want to invite me here today?

(Hwiyoung)-Let's just say I got tired of being in this house alone and I just wanted the company

(Me)-You mean my company? out of everyone you know?

(Hwiyoung)-Why so shocked? Out of everyone I know I feel like you're the only I can talk to.

(Me)-Thanks? I guess

(Hwiyoung)-Here let me show you around the place

Everything from the kitchen to his upstairs ping pong table seemed like a dream to me as it made me wonder how someone at his age lived all alone in a mansion like this.

(Hwiyoung)-So what do you think?

(Me)-About the house? I think it's beautiful and everything I could've wanted if I were to have my own house one day. I mean I've only ever lived in a small space so this is overwhelming I'm not gonna lie.

(Hwiyoung)-I figured you might as well find this place to be comfortable if you're coming over often and I also have extra guest rooms if needed

(Me)-Wait hold up why would you think I would be coming here often? 

(Hwiyoung)-Because i assumed that's what friends would do, unless you thought otherwise...

(Me)-No of course I think of you as a friend well somewhat but why mention the guest rooms?

(Hwiyoung)-In case you wanted to stay over sometime, why what were you thinking? (he said looking at me as if I had any other intentions in mind)

I then proceeded to fake cough in order to be released from this awkward situation.

Hwiyoung then showed off his cooking skills that day as we both ate pasta and finally talked about how weird it was that we were always in the same class for this entire academic year.

For the first time I saw him smiling and laughing and knew that he needed my company as much as I needed his. 

However, this still wasn't the exact moment I fell for him...let me fast forward to earlier this year for your sake since this story has already been long enough.

As weird as it may sound the moment I realized I had feelings for him was the day of the night market when Y/N introduced Hwiyoung to her co-worker who had a crush on him.

I don't know what exactly triggered me to feel jealousy but in that moment where he smiled at another girl I just felt like exploding out of rage because deep in my heart I always held a place for him to enter.

I guess a part of me just expected for him to always be by my side and if he had an interest in another girl then he wouldn't be there to fill that place anymore.

Am I silly for thinking this way? 

I obviously just smiled that day and supported the happy couple but at the same time a wound was forming in my heart and i didn't know how to get rid of it which is why I finally talked to Y/N about it to hear her thoughts.

Having her state that I should just tell him regardless of if he's single or not made me have no other options than to gather the courage.

I then texted him to meet me at the park after he finished his last class for the day.

I ended up waiting for 40 minutes before hearing back from him that he was on his way.

My brain had been so fried that I didn't even really have time to think about what I was going to tell him.

Being lost in my own thoughts I didn't notice he arrived until I felt a hand on my shoulder.

(Hwiyoung)-Hey I'm here, what is it that you wanted to meet me for?

(Me)-I wanted to tell you something actually but before I do promise me that whatever I say won't change our friendship

(Hwiyoung)-I promise

(Me)-I don't know how to explain it exactly but recently I've just felt like I may have feelings for you and I know this isn't exactly the best time to tell you this considering you have a girlfriend now but I thought you should know.

Hwiyoung stood up for a second and walked back and forth to process everything I just said.

How do you think he'll respond to my confession? Look out for the next entry to find out.

To be continued