the war of business

It’s Okay To Be Killers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Oh Mansion]

We all left SM, Japan and had finally decided to stay in Lee Sooman’s Paradise for a while. Super Junior had to clear their names too, along with the rest of the instructors and Jisung was gone for awhile to stay with his adoptive father.

He, however, made his way back to us after a few weeks. Sehun and Harin and her two brothers came back to handle the Ong Industry, pinning their house fire to the syndicate. Johnny went from hearing to hearing while Sehun tried to handle our family business. Jaehyun decided to rest and went back to his parents and we all took over the empty mansions, slowly trying to get used to the normal life.

“YG Chemicals has been taken down. Doctors that had worked for YG Chemicals have been pronounced missing….”

I recognized the names.

“Manoban’s, Doctor Huang, Doctor Alex—”

There were no photos of them but it seemed like the authorities were doing all they could to find them.

“G.O.D, the Board of Directors of former SM, a branch of schools has been arrested along with Director Johnny Depp.”

SM, to the public was still a boarding school of troubled children but it was quickly debunked that Johnny wasn’t actually a student but more of Teachers Assistant. A lot of SM student’s history that was exposed in the news were also taken care of and called fake because a lot of the media’s personnel were part of the U.S.

“Oh, look. It’s Roger!” Jaemin exclaimed, pointing at the screen.

“It has been found out that YG has been dabbling in the creation of creatures such as hermaphrodites and playing with genes. Sammy, a hairless albino that is also a hermaphrodite was seen in one of the YG bases. He is to be taken in by the Australian PETA. Chris Hemsworth, a CEO of an Australian company vows to sponsor Sammy and protect them from scientists. Sammy is to not be experimented on and they will live a long and healthy life in an animal reservation along with the Hemsworths.”

“He’s still Roger to me,” Jaemin grumbled. “Look at him! He’s waving! Oh, he’s smiling—”

“They, Jaemin. Please use the proper pronouns,” Renjun quipped.

“Look at that! Roger!” Jaemin yelled to the screen, waving back. Renjun sighed and I chuckled.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Park Seojun]

It was still a frenzy after that and if you thought that it had ended, it definitely did not.

Seojun going to jail and being exposed as the mastermind of the syndicate, the gas leak, bringing Ong Harin’s plane down, and the framing of SM instructors had made SW Corporations stocks plummet. Johnny was painted as the hero, the one person who was shown in a good light and the one who had brought Seojun down. I remember the day that Sehun had told me that the shareholders were all thinking of voting our family out and I remember telling myself that they had no right to do that.

“Mother and father put up the company, Sehun,” I told him and he nodded. He was stressed as well and we had just visited Seojun in prison to force him to sign the papers so he could transfer the shares to us. He was hesitant at first but he had to, upon knowing that the company was going to be under the reign of old men of the board of directors.

SW Corporations was the only active thing that my parents had put up and losing it was like losing their legacy. Sehun had the Ong’s to account for, but he too, had to slowly help me take over. But the fact that he went to SM, a school that was painted by the media as a school for the troubled did not sit well with the board. I too, had a history of being kidnapped and it wasn’t long until they wanted to use it against me.

“We need to persuade the shareholders,” Sehun said. “The current board of directors are currently trying to persuade them to vote us off. The amount of shares you and I, combined with Seojun is enough but if they persuade the rest of the shareholders, they’ll be able to kick us out, Dana.”

“Like I’ll let that happen,” I found myself hissing. “When is the meeting?”

“In two days,” Sehun told me. “We have to be there.”

I leaned back, massaging my neck.

Problem after problem, I thought. It wasn’t about killing or bringing down a syndicate anymore, it was about making sure they didn’t take away something that was rightfully ours. The first thing I did was call a lawyer, Sehun contacting a few of the shareholders he knew to make sure they were on our side. As much as they promised us that they wouldn’t vote us out, we weren’t very sure.

The corporate world was a different type of war.

“It’s okay, Pretty Noona,” Jisung was saying. “We’ll all be there for you. We’ll go there, all 23 of us to support you.”

There were nods from my friends and as much as I was thankful for them, the possibility of losing my company was enough to make me paranoid. My parents never wrote a will because they were still young and their death was sudden so it was harder for us to legally stay in power. Sehun and I were young and inexperienced when it came to the corporate world.

“What should we do?” My brother had asked me the night before, his eyebags showing. Harin was with us, but she couldn’t be of much help. It was our family issue and I regretted not caring about the company before this. “Dana, it’s tomorrow.”

I had a plan but I didn’t know if it would work.

That night, while I paced around the room with Johnny on the bed watching me, I reached for my phone to call someone. He answered it immediately, greeting me like an old friend even if we hardly interacted.

“Dana.”

“Siwon Sunbae.” I smiled. “I need your help.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was today, the shareholders meeting. The buildings were filled with reporters. Shareholders were being escorted down the red carpet as they filed into the conference room with their bodyguards. My friends were in the building for moral support and I couldn’t thank them enough, Johnny getting his picture taken by a few reporters because he was the “hero-of-the-century”. I was in the car with Sehun when my phone rang and we answered it hastily.

“Siwon sunbae.”

“Dana, I checked. The amount of shares you have with Sehun is approximately 39%. These are also from your parents. With Seojun’s, it’ll be 44%,” Siwon had said and I leaned back. Sehun told Siwon that he had transferred all his shares to me two days ago and the male hummed.

That wasn’t enough. We needed more than half to fire the board of directors and the older male paused. “So… I bought shares last night from one of your shareholders.”

“What?” Sehun asked, blinking. Siwon chuckled.

“To be fair, he’s very old. I bought his shares from him.”

“How many percent?” Sehun asked.

“2% from him and 2% from his daughter,” Siwon replied. “I already upped the process of transferring it to Dana’s name. I’ll meet you at the venue, Dana. The moment you sign it, it’ll be active. Don’t worry. You need to persuade the rest of the shareholders, Dana. You need 3% more. I’ll try to contact more shareholders on the way.”

The feeling of relief washed through me but I knew it wasn’t the end just yet and Sehun and I decided to leave the van, stepping down from it. There was a wave of camera flashes and Sehun grabbed my elbow, moving me towards the building as reporters began to move towards us. I moved the sunglasses down so it was now perched on my nose when we entered the building and I saw everyone sitting down.

One of the members of the board was already talking, his speech spoken out to attack me and Sehun. I stood there, gritting my teeth.

“To have someone from the Oh family on top of the pyramid, controlling every aspect of SW Corporations just to find out that they are terrorists does not sit well with our shareholders,” Director Hyunsuk said, adjusting his tie. “We are here to finally regain control of SW Corporations and move it forward to a brighter future. Our brand image has been tarnished and our stocks have plummeted. We need to reform; we need to restructure. So please, know which side you are on.”

There was a murmur and I saw the whole of NCT stand at the back of the room. I saw Tae-il whispering something to Sungchan, both of them looking at me before shaking their heads. I had to do something, but what could I say to persuade 60-year-old men? We had no experience. I saw Sehun walk up to the stage to make his speech when I saw Renjun walk towards me, the male giving me a soft smile.

“Hello, my name is Oh Sehun…” Sehun’s voice droned in the background and I focused on Renjun.

“Dana,” he said and I blinked. Renjun took my hand and gave it a little squeeze. “Dana. Remember that you have Johnny Suh.”

I frowned, Renjun’s eyes searching mine and I tilted my head at him, but he already let go and moved back to the back of the room. Sehun was being bombarded with questions, his absence, how he was involved in so many scandals. He couldn’t give the company stability, and that was that.

“Step down, Oh Sehun,” they said and I couldn’t take it anymore. I moved forward, making my way down the hall just to march up the stage. My brother saw me coming and he faltered but I pushed him away, glaring at the men sitting in front of me.

“My name is Oh Dana and I am the rightful owner of SW Corporations,” I said to them and the men scoffed and I cleared my throat. “If you have been keeping up with the current change in the shares, you would know that I have accumulated 48% of the shares. From my two brothers and my parents. I know you think that kicking out the Oh family is what is going to push the company forward but my parents—”

“Your parents aren’t here, child,” one of them said, standing up. “We are not putting someone with a lack of experience and with a tainted history as the CEO of SW Corporations. We have faced incredible growth and—”

“Your shares aren’t enough to secure the spot, Ms. Oh,” one of them said. “You are young, you haven’t graduated from university, and as Mr. Hyunsuk said—You aren’t fit to be on top. You and your brother are not good for SW Corporation's image.”

I paused, trying to figure out what to say when my eyes to Renjun who was staring at me.

Remember, you have Johnny Suh.

“I know.” I ended up saying and a wave of murmurs ran through the crowd. “I know we are not good for SW Corporations, but I’m standing here because I will not be CEO. Me and Sehun are here not to take over the spot but to give it to someone else. Someone who is a hero and someone who South Korea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter