what could go wrong?

It’s Okay To Be Killers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N, Ok I know I said I'd update it one go but I forgot that I already wrote some parts for this chapter so dont hate me. TT

[Hotel in Peiyang]

In the hotel in Peiyang, Hoshi woke up with his vision slowly adjusting to the bright florescent lights when there was a rapid movement and people began to whisper. He heard them talking, his small eyes squinting when he saw five people looking down at him. Winwin had just arrived an hour ago and imagine the surprise when he reached the designated hotel that  Kun told him to go to, just to see an unknown man on the bed.

Kun knew his name was Hoshi, the man remembering what Hoshi was repeating before he fainted and they were just waiting for him to wake up. Hoshi, having regained his consciousness, sat up warily. He didn’t know much about the people in Peiyang, having never left Linjin before—so this was scary to him.

“W-Who are you people? Are you here to capture me and bring me back to Linjin?” he asked, his eyes flickering over the five men who looked at each other at his question. “D-Don’t think I don’t know… I know Doctor Huang has people all around.”

“Doctor Huang?” Ten asked from the side, wondering who this guy was talking about. “The only doctor I know of that name is that doctor from YG.”

“Please. How many Huang’s are there in China?” Hendery quipped, flashing Hoshi a smile to show that he wasn’t in danger.

“Right. Can’t be the same one.” Ten sighed, but deep down he had an inkling feeling. “Well, he’s fine now… Shouldn’t he be able to go now?”

Hoshi scrambled up, pressing his back against the wall, his eyes darting back and forth, the male creeping slowly. Kun chuckled, shaking his head before telling him that he fainted by the bus stop—that was why he was there.

“You’re free to leave,” Kun said, turning to Winwin. “Johnny should be on his way but we still have no leads. Lucas—”

Lucas nodded.

“Go scout outside and see if anyone knows where the Seasonies are. They have probably made their way to Renjun by now—”

“Renjun?” Hoshi blurted, a foot about to head towards the door. “Huang Renjun?”

With Hoshi’s sudden mention of Renjun, Lucas automatically stepped in front of the door by instinct, the guy blocking the entrance out as every one slowly stood up and advanced towards Hoshi. Hoshi blinked.

“You know Renjun? How do you know him?” WInwin asked.

“I know of him. He’s Doctor Huang’s son.”

“And where can we find him?” Ten pressed.

“Well, in Linjin…. But I’m not bringing you guys there! I just came out— Oh, this is what they say when they say I have a big mouth.”

“We’re looking for these people,” Kun cut him off hastily, grabbing Winwin’s Ipad and pressing down on it when Lucas grabbed Hoshi by the elbow and forced him down to sit. Kun opened the photos of Dana, Jaemin and the rest, studying Hoshi as a look of familiarity washed through his features.

“Oh—” Hoshi’s eyes widened, not at the photos but at the sight of the screen, whispering to himself that this was what Junhui was talking about when he said people had “technology”. “Y-Yes, I’ve seen them. They were in Junhui’s house, I think they were looking for Renjun also.”

“And where is this Linjin?” Kun asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Across the mountains, where the trees bow down to the ground.”

“That’s the lullaby. So, what’s the plan?” Lucas asked, towering over Hoshi.

“We call Johnny. He should have already landed in Haihe city with the rest.” Kun sighed, chewing on his bottom lip. “It’s best we wait for him because I’m sure we won’t get any signal over the mountain.”

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?” Ten asked softly, sitting in front of Hoshi. “Tell us about Linjin.”

And with that, Ten pushed one cup ramen to Hoshi, the guy eyeing the food. He must be hungry, Ten could tell the way he leaned forward to sniff the broth.

“Tell us about Linjin and you can eat all you want.”

Hoshi’s eyes flickered over to the food that was in front of him invitingly before he grabbed it.

And with that, he began to tell them all about Linjin.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Back to Linjin, Doctor Huang's study]

Minghao was brought to the room, the male being shoved down the seat with Doctor Huang in front of him. He had slumped back on his chair, his goggles over his eyes as the only thing he could rely on for protection. Doctor Huang had seen the photo and Minghao knew that the only way he could get out of it was to make her believe that he really had no idea where it came from.

“Tell me what happened, Minghao, or I can’t guarantee your safety,” Doctor Huang said, sitting in front of the male. Minghao sighed—Oh, he hated her so much. He gave a nonchalant shrug.

“I don’t know what to tell you, you crazy woman. But people came and then they left—I don’t know who they are. I can’t tell and I don’t remember simply because I can’t see! You know how Junhui treats our house like some therapeutic place for people.”

“Why are you lying?” she said it so calmly, yet the atmosphere turned cold.

“Why are you crazy?” Minghao asked back, raising an eyebrow.

Doctor Huang was used to Minghao’s snarky comments—he was cheeky and he was sarcastic. The only reason why she hasn’t ever laid a hand on him was because he insisted he couldn’t see the subliminals and he too, was also Junhui’s friend. But he had been crossing boundaries recently, testing her patience.

“I can’t help being crazy,” she answered, Minghao scoffing.

“Well, I can’t help being blind, you crazy woman!”

“Well, are you lying?” she asked again, Minghao about to throw hands when she spoke. “Not about the people, about you being blind.”

Her question stunned him for a moment, Minghao not knowing what to say when he decided to play it off as if she just suggested something that was beyond his imagination.

“Bro, it’s my eyes… not yours,” he pointed out.

“I have guards everywhere, Minghao. They see you in the fields, catching crickets. You’re very good for a blind person, especially with those goggles off,” she said and his jaw dropped open. He was ready to counter her statement, Minghao leaning forward to talk to her like she was stupid.

“Bro,” he began, a hand in the air. “How many times do I have to tell you that I’m not fully blind, your face is just blurry! I can still see the crickets!”

This made Doctor Huang pause, her arms going across her chest when she smirked, the woman standing up.

“Well, if you’re blind… How about I fix you?” she asked, Minghao fighting the urge to roll his eyes.

“Really? That’s your conclusion? I’m very happy blind, thank you very much. The world isn’t that good of a place to see and some things are better left unseen—”

“Deep,” she answered, smirking. “Well, I was thinking of maybe using the Hulk drug on your eyes. Fix those eyes, you know but I need to check the level of radiation in your body. You see, I found out that the Hulk drug can only be used on those who are radioactive. More than 8% and you’ll be fine to take it in—”

“What in the world are you talking about?”

She grabbed a scanner, pressing it against his forehead and for the first time, Minghao flinched, the woman continuing to talk.

“Ah, definitely more since you’ve been here your whole life,” she mused, going to a cabinet and grabbing a syringe that had green liquid in it. It was the Hulk drug and Minghao had heard of it, the male knowing that she would use it on her personal guards.

Doctor Huang was muttering to herself now.

“You see, I always wanted to see what effects would come when you inject it into the eyes. Will you explode? Will you die from the sudden pressure of the Hulk drug? Will your brain deteriorate?”

And with that, she jerked her head towards Minghao, the guards grabbing him to hold him down when she advanced towards him, her hands going to his chin to tilt it up, ripping the goggles off of his face. She stared straight at him, smiling to herself.

“Such beautiful eyes,” she murmured. “Looks very normal. It won’t hurt much… Or not.” she sang, getting ready to lift her hand up when the door slammed open and a soft voice called her name, Renjun’s making his presence known.

Everyone froze, Doctor Huang looking up to see her son with his glasses perched on his nose and his pressed suit that he usually wore in the day time.

“Mama?” he asked softly, his gaze settling on the image in front of him before dragging his eyes away from Minghao. “Mama, what are you doing?”

“Renjun,” she spoke, lowering the syringe. “Look who I found—”

Renjun blinked, his eyes going to the syringe his mother was holding. He knew Minghao, they grew up together and Minghao saw how Renjun’s face did not change at all. Was he broken too? Did she make him watch the subliminals? These thoughts ran through Minghao’s head when Doctor Huang spoke.

“I’m here to fix him, child. Isn’t it cartoon time? Why are you out of the subliminal room?”

“I’m fixed, Mama,” Renjun answered calmly, trudging forward. “I just needed to see all of that to reset my brain. You’re right, I had to be fixed and it’s been a week. Did you think I was broken beyond repair?”

“Oh, what a gem you are,” Doctor Huang cooed and Minghao panicked.

Renjun was crazy now. Has it already been a week since he came back? Minghao was sure it was a little bit more than that.

“Mama…” Renjun began, his eyes on his mother, his voice turning hard. “I need a new toy. You said that if I watched my cartoons, I would get a new toy.”

With his words, Doctor Huang placed the syringe on the table, sighing. Her son was becoming more and more demanding but he was also always so compliant. She believed that she had finally got to him.

“Honey, a new one?” she asked. “I just gave you that Vernon boy a few days ago—”

“Mama, he died. I killed him,” Renjun said robotically and Minghao’s eyes widened at the news. Wait, didn’t he just see Vernon a few days ago running through the fields? Minghao began to rack his brain. Maybe he was also losing it.

“Yes, I know… You did.” She paused. “And I’m proud of you but—”

“So, tell me Mama.” Renjun’s voice lowered. “Why do I not get a new toy?”

Doctor Huang could see the change in Renjun’s demeanor, her small framed son growling.

“You said I would get a new toy! I also want the Hulk drug in me too, why do you keep using it on people except me?” Renjun’s voice began to rise. “Why do you not love me? You say you do, but you don’t love me!”

“Oh, he’s crazy,” Minghao whispered, watching Renjun throw the nearest cup that was beside him towards his mother. Doctor Huang ducked in time, Renjun raising his voice into a screech.

“Renjun, honey,” Doctor Huang began, Renjun beginning to yell out.

“STOP LYING! STOP LYING!” He glowered at her, his mother stopping him halfway.

“Honey, you don’t have enough radiation in you for the Hulk drug and you don’t have the warrior gene for the Marvel drug. If I put it in you, you will die—” Doctor Huang said but Renjun was already going through a full-blown tantrum.

In the end, he had learned from the best.

“Then fix me!” he seethed, throwing another frame violently towards her direction. "Stop using it on people until you use it on me! It’s not fair—You’re making them strong and I am still weak. You said I would be strong and smart.”

He heaved, his eyes on his mother before he spoke softly.

“Do you want to see me angry?”

“Oh, honey.” Doctor Huang looked flustered. “How about I give you Minghao. Play with him all you want, I promise I will fix you—”

The woman advanced to her child, Renjun noticeably calmer from her words. She kissed him on top of his head and he glanced at Minghao.

“Okay, Mama. I love you,” he said it so smoothly, his eyes locked with Minghao’s. “I’ll be in my bedroom.”

Minghao gulped.

“And we’re going to have so much fun.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Minghao was brought to the bedroom and when he was sent in, he saw Renjun on the chair with a tea set in front of him. Renjun watched him from where he was at and Minghao sat down, Renjun’s eyes going to the camera that was blinking behind him.

He was under surveillance all the time, his room bugged with cameras and microphones. Minghao shifted in his seat, beginning to speak.

“Did you actually kill Vernon? I saw a guy running through the fields the other day—”

‘You’re supposed to be blind,” Renjun pointed out.

“Oh, right. So…”

Renjun lowered his voice. “The room is bugged so I have to speak very softly. Now listen to me carefully. I am going to scream and you will have to back away to the corner and yell back so she puts off the microphone. We need extra loudness. The louder the better—”

Minghao looked around nervously, Renjun grabbing a cup and smashing it on the ground before he let out a blood curdling scream.

“NO FUN! No fun at all, you blind man!”

“Alright, this is getting personal!” Minghao managed to say, jumping up and retreating back towards the wall. “What happened to you? We used to be friends!”

“I have no friends! Friends are bad!”

“Well, you are bad!”

They began to yell at each other, the conversation not even making sense to both of them but they had to keep it going.

“You call those eyes? USELESS! USELESS! I can’t believe she wanted to use the Hulk drug on you!”

“OKAY! I get it! I’m confused right now but I’m only yelling because you are yelling! Why are you acting like this—”

“Because you’re BLIND!”

“Doesn’t make sense but okay!” Minghao shot back, Renjun looking up to see that the microphone light was off, the door suddenly opening. Doctor Huang walked in, her eyes on both of them.

“Renjun?” Her voice was soft and calm, unlike what was going on in her brain. “Mama’s working. You’re being a little bit too loud, honey.”

“Mama, he’s blind!” Renjun snapped, his mother sighing at her son.

“Do what you want with him, child. But I need my concentration, okay? I have a pitch in a little over a week—”

“I will, Mama,” Renjun replied. “Thank you for the toy.”

And with that, Doctor Huang moved out the door, closing it behind her.

“ing crazy woman,” Renjun muttered under his breath, turning to Minghao. “The microphone light is off but stay where you are, the camera is still on.”

“Oh, thank god. I thought she actually drove you crazy—”

“Please, I may be broken but I’m not that crazy.” Renjun held up a hand. “And we’re not done, we have to attack each other.”

“What?” Minghao blurted out.

“What?” Renjun asked back, blinking.

“Bro….” Minghao shook his head, scared of what would happen next.

“Believe me. We got to break the cameras. We need privacy and I need to sneak you out the same way I did with Vernon.”

“What did you do to Vernon?” Minghao asked. He was pretty sure he saw Vernon alive but why did Doctor Huang think he was dead?

“Another story for another day, if you survive this.” Renjun waved a hand. “Long story short, I need to pretend to kill you. There is a body shoot and that’s where they dump the bodies—”

“Oh, that’s why I saw Vernon running through the fields,” Minghao said, suddenly understanding what was going on. “It’s by the back of the mansion, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, it’s connected,” Renjun said, nodding. “I pretended to kill him and that has to happen to you.”

As Renjun spoke, he stood up and grabbed teacup and Minghao wondered why he had so many. He was about to aim when Minghao stopped him, the male freezing on the spot.

“What… What am I supposed to do? Let you slam it against me?”

“We can do it that way or you can fall onto the ground and I’ll aim for the cameras behind you,” Renjun said and Minghao felt relieved.

“Oh, okay. I get it now—”

“You haven’t changed one bit. You’re still not very bright, aren’t you?” Renjun asked, throwing the tea cup with a rapid flick of his wrist, the sound of shattering glass echoing throughout the bedroom. Minghao blinked.

“Oh my god.” Minghao breathed, Renjun looking satisfied. When Minghao looked behind him, he saw that the camera was smashed and Renjun gave a huff. The male sat down by the table, talking to himself.

“Nice. With Vernon, it took five tries. I broke all my tea cups.”

“What?” Minghao asked, Renjun opening his arms to Minghao. “What?”

“What? Come here and give me a hug,” Renjun said and his sudden ask of affection made Minghao soften.

I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter