hey, johnny. guess what?

It’s Okay To Be Killers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I think meetings were held private for a reason and I didn’t expect to go into Kun’s room to see Ten and Hendery sitting there. I honestly thought that one of the reasons why people registered their name without saying what team they were on was because we weren’t supposed to know who was on each other's team. So imagine my surprise when I saw Ten and Hendery lounging on Kun’s bed like they owned it.

“What are they doing here?” I asked Kun. “Aren’t I not supposed to know whose on your team?”

“It’s common knowledge,” Kun replied, looking up at me before telling me to take a seat. “If you go to Taeyong’s room, you’ll probably see Doyoung and Jeno there… You didn’t go to Taeyong’s room, did you?”

“I’m here at 6:30 in the morning,” I reminded him and he nodded. “This honestly defeats the purpose of being anonymous.”

“You’re new,” Kun told me. “We’ve been here long enough to know who goes with who. Though, there will be an addition to our team.”

I sat down on the bed across from Kun’s and crossed my legs, waiting for him to tell us his plan. Kun began to tell me what he thought he should do.

“I’m still thinking of not recruiting a hacker. I know Taeyong has Chenle but I was thinking that maybe we'll try not to have any digital trace for the mission. This means they won’t have anything to track. So, if you have anything to tell me, come to me personally or tell Ten or Hendery.”

I felt my eyes shift to the side, nodding.

“Your brother used to do it like this too. His in-house assessments were honestly very well thought of,” Kun told me and I raised my eyebrows. I didn’t know much about my brother’s work but it seemed as if he was better than all of them.

“What did Sehun do?”

“He would make sure there was no digital trace and he recruited only people who he knew were loyal to him. He never recruited more than he had to,” Kun told me. “His strategies were top-notch and no one could see them coming.”

“Who would he recruit?”

“Usually just two people. Chenle and Johnny,” Kun replied and my eyes widened. Chenle and Johnny? I didn’t know my brother was close with my roommate and my fake husband! “His team hardly ever changed. Sometimes the previous head of transportation would come back from hiatus to help him in his in-house missions. That’s how loyal they were to him.”

“He’s close to Johnny and Chenle?” I asked and Kun nodded.

“Yes. One time, he made Chenle forge as him and Chenle sat in the strategist room with insoles and shoulder pads wearing a mask. Sehun then went into the field with Johnny.” Kun paused. “Your brother was honestly the billboard sweeper and his name stayed up the whole time he was here.”

“Who was the previous head of transportation?” I asked. I wondered if Sehun was with him, but then again Sehun had never mentioned his friends before. I have never heard of Johnny and Chenle before this.

“Kim Jongin. Codename: Kai. He was the previous head, before Yuta. Guy was fast. And I don’t mean on vehicles, he could run and climb to places. He was like a dual mix between an assassin and a getaway car. Anyway—” Kun cut off his sentence and I made a mental note to talk to Johnny and Chenle later about why they never told me that they were close to him.

“Here’s what we’re going to do,” Kun told me carefully. “We’re going to duplicate the orb. This years event is simple at best—the location of the orb is given so we don’t have to find it like the other semesters; but this might make it harder because then we’ll end up having to fight for the orb.”

“That’s true. We need to hire a defense and situate him right in front of the orb,” Hendery said.

Kun nodded, deep in thought. “I’m telling you now because I trust you,” he told me and I nodded. “We’re going to try to recruit Haechan.”

“Why? Isn’t Haechan a wild card?”

“He is. That’s what makes him so dangerous.” Kun sighed, leaning back. “He is notorious for doing whatever he wants to win. So, I’m recruiting him to make sure that he doesn’t go against us. It’s just a precaution so he won’t us up.”

I could totally see Haechan doing whatever he wanted and I could see that the possibility of Haechan not being in his team scared Kun.

“What do I do now then?” I asked him and he studied me.

“I don’t have a set plan for you yet until I meet with all the other members and recruit them all so I can allocate a system for you guys. Come back here tomorrow.”

I agreed, standing up to leave. Kun was in a different floor from where I stayed with Jeno, Jaemin and Taeyong’s room. When I walked to my own floor to gather my things, I saw Jaemin running after Taeyong; his voice screeching after Leader.

“RECRUIT ME!” he was yelling at Taeyong who was trying to duck.

“Why do you want to be on my team?” he asked Jaemin, mortified at the closeness of the pink-haired male. Jaemin’s hair back to pink was refreshing and I watched as Jaemin lean forward to stare at Taeyong.

“Jeno’s on your team,” Jaemin said to him, Taeyong’s eyes widening.

“How do you know?”

“It’s common knowledge!” Jaemin yelled, about to attack Taeyong. “Recruit me! Recruit me!”

“My team is full— Oh, Jeno!” Taeyong yelled, Jaemin whipping his head around where Taeyong pointed, Taeyong slipping away. Jaemin saw that I was used as a distraction and he frowned. He really wanted to be recruited, I realized, Jaemin looking a bit down that no one wanted him to be on their team.

I went to class as per normal and we studied thirty different ways to clean kill, Jeno the only one who knew it all. Jeno’s medical background had served him well and he knew how to kill people with the least amount of blood, how to kill people with a thumb (though he said he had never tried it), where to strike to put people to sleep and so on. I learned a lot from him and it wasn’t long until we were all dismissed to class.

Day by day, I found myself becoming comfortable with these group of people. It was like we all had the same goal and even if the competition was fierce, I saw that no one was bullied or ostracized. We were all killers and because of that, we all bonded over a single action.

I walked to the cafeteria and went to get my tray, seeing Taeyong waiting in line. Flickering my eyes over to what he was doing, I saw that he was buying milk. Frowning, I remembered Doyoung saying once that he was lactose intolerant. Taeyong turned to see me staring at the milk carton.

“It’s not for me,” he told me. “It’s for Haechan.”

A laugh sounded from behind us and when I looked back, I saw Haechan chuckling. People were massaging him from behind and I saw Ten talking to him. Operation recruit Haechan was on and I saw Suga walk over to Haechan, pushing bread towards the younger male. Taeyong was more careful and stood silently beside me when I heard him ask.

“Kun recruited you, didn’t he?” he asked and I looked at him, surprised. How did know? “I have eyes everywhere. Also, Chenle told me.”

Ah, no wonder.

“Yes. But I’ll talk to you in our meeting together.”

“Fair enough.”

He left and I found myself scanning the cafeteria for empty seats. Haechan was basking in the attention he was getting and I saw him flash me a smile, Taeyong moving towards Haechan and placing the milk carton before walking away. Deciding that I didn’t want to sit where all the people crowded in, I went outside to see the only person I wanted to spend time with.

“Hey, Osaka prince,” I greeted, putting my tray by his and sliding into a seat beside him. He smiled at me, mixing the soup with rice. “How’re you today?”

“You’re initiating a conversation?” he asked and I paused. Wow. Jisung must have rubbed off on me. I opened my mouth to say something when two trays were placed in front of us and I looked up to see that is was Mark and Johnny.

Johnny had a mug of coffee with a sandwich while Mark was eating chips. Both of them didn’t greet us, Johnny’s eyes strained on his phone screen as he bit into his sandwich. A gust of wind sounded and I felt my hair slam against my face and into my mouth. I flailed, spitting the strands of hair out when I felt hands gather them back for me. 

Turning, I saw that it was Yuta and he held my hair back when a hand slid a hair tie towards me on the table. Johnny had pushed a black elastic hair tie to me silently and Yuta looked down at it, a hand going to grab it before tying my hair back. Mark’s eyes were shifting back and forth and I had no idea why it was awkward when Johnny cleared his throat.

“It’s not mine. It’s Jennie’s,” he told me and I found myself rolling my eyes. He went back to sipping his coffee when I asked him why he was eating a sandwich. We were all eating rice like Asians, Mark and Johnny’s lunch different from ours.

“I’m American.” Was his reply and I tilted my head at him. Well, that was uncalled for. When he saw my expression he added. “I’m American. I grew up in Chicago.”

I didn’t know that. “My father grew up in America too.” I found myself saying when Yuta shifted from beside me. After my break down the other day, I guess he felt awkward when I spoke about my deceased parents. I saw Johnny look down.

“I grew up in Canada.” Mark piped up.

“How’d you end up in SM, Asia?” I asked. It was a legit question. Shouldn’t he be in other regions if he grew up in the west?

“I grew up in SM, America,” Johnny continued the conversation and because we were talking, it was slowly becoming less awkward. “But I transferred here when I was thirteen.”

“Why?”

“Just because.” He shrugged. “My mother was Korean too so I guess I could already speak the language. I actually met Mark in SM, America when they called me over to bring him over to SM, Asia. He was like… this tall.”

Johnny showed us, lifting his hand in the air to show how short Mark was. Mark turned red.

“My father was doing illegal drag racing and they caught him so I was put in SM. They didn’t want me to go to jail. Speaking about it, I miss that place. There was one instructor. He’s a legend!” Mark began and I saw that the moment he became excited, it was hard to stop him from talking. “Vin Diesel. Even his last name has a relation to gas and cars! Instructor Vin could tell how fast the car was going by the wind blowing and wow! The way he sped, the way he—”

“Mine was the Director of SM, America,” Johnny cut in, calmly. “He’s known to be one of the best forgers in the industry.”

“He was a forger and he was a director?” I asked. “I thought all directors were strategists.”

“Not true.” Johnny shook his head. “Director Depp was amazing at his job. His codename was Pirate. He started off stealing on the streets. He was one of those duel agents who could kill, forge, hack and strategize at the same time.”

“If your mother’s Korean, don’t you have a Korean name?”

“I do,” Johnny replied, but he didn’t add to that and I guessed he didn't want to share it.

“I know what your Korean name is!” Mark snapped his fingers. “Last name, Kang...? Lee…?”

Johnny looked at Mark like he was dumb. “Dude, my last name is literally Suh.”

“Oh, right. I forgot,” Mark mumbled. “Say, Dana. Did you get recruited for the in-house assessment thing?”

I nodded, looking over at Johnny who didn’t seem interested.

“I’m not supposed to tell anyone though.” Johnny nodded at my words and told me that it was best to keep it a secret, Mark making a face. I turned to see Yuta simply listening to the conversation when I pulled him closer by his shirt. With Yuta’s ear close to my lips, I told him that I was recruited by Kun and Taeyong, the male nodding in approval.

“Nice, Dana,” he said and I beamed. He brought his palm to the back of my head, patting it. “You’re good at what you do, that’s why.”

“Why does Yuta know and I don’t?” Mark asked.

“Shut up, Mark,” Johnny said roughly. “Don’t you think it’s common knowledge who she’d be recruited by?”

Common knowledge! Common Knowledge! I couldn’t count the amount of times I heard that phrase today!

After the lunch, I stood up to go back to class. Walking past the building, I saw a figure drop down from the third floor and I gasped at the loud thud.

“PARK JISUNG! What have I told you before? Do not jump down from buildings just because—” The loud yelling of an instructor rang out from the third floor and I saw a woman fume.

“Pretty Noona!” Jisung yelled, climbing out from the bushes. In his hand, he held a water bottle. He had pulled another Jisung and I patted him down before reaching up to take a leaf from of his head. “Noona, you want to sit in class with me today?”

He seemed hopeful and I remembered promising that I would sit in with him one day, but I had my own classes to go to, and upon telling him that, Jisung’s looked slightly sad.

“What’s wrong? Jaemin studying with you again today?” I asked, Jisung shaking his head.

“No, Instructor Victoria from f(x) is mean. She’s going to yell at me again. Sometimes she yells at me in Chinese and I don’t understand,” Jisung mumbled and I chuckled, patting his cheek. “Next time, Noona?”

“Next time,” I told him before telling him to not jump off buildings anymore. “Bye, Jisung.”

“See you when next time comes, Pretty Noona,” he told to me, leaping towards the walls and climbing back up to the third floor with ease.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

After class, I made my way to Taeyong’s room to see that what Kun said was true. Other than the fact that Doyoung and Taeyong were roommates, Jeno had just arrived from the vents. The door was quickly closed behind us and Taeyong told us to keep quiet, a device scanner in his hand. Jeno had gone to the vents to make sure no one was eavesdropping one more time and he whispered that Ten had a knack of scouting out information.

Beep.

“Nothing,” Doyoung said before scanning me. I was a bit insulted that he had done it only to me and not Jeno but then again I guessed that it was “common knowledge” that Jeno was automatically on their side. “She’s clear.”

“Okay, spill,” Taeyong said, sitting down by the computer. “What did Kun say? Chenle told me you’re going to double-cross him, have you made up your mind?”

“My loyalty is not with you, Leader. It’s with Chenle.”

Taeyong seemed weirdly relaxed to hear that, nodding and telling me that if it was like that then he was sure I wouldn’t double-cross him because Chenle would never work with Kun.

“It’s just common knowledge that he works with us,” Taeyong said and I gritted my teeth at the phrase before my lips. “So, what’s Kun’s plan?”

“He doesn’t want a digital trace,” I told him. “He told me that he wants to do it how my brother does it. But I’m pretty sure we’ll use earpieces. They also will duplicate the orb.”

“Duplicate the orb?” Taeyong asked, frowning. “To confuse us?”

I nodded. “He’ll also use an offense to guard the orb.”

“That probably means he’ll recruit someone from the security team.”

“Lucas,” Jeno added. “Jackson is on a mission with GOT7. If it’s Lucas, it’s a bit concerning.”

“Why?”

“Lucas can be very aggressive. Try not to get your cover blown. He’s one of the best in defending.” Jeno said.

“If they get to Lucas, we’ll focus on infiltration,” Taeyong said. “Dana, just do what Kun wants you to do and when you finally do get the orb; bring it to us. Don’t blow your cover. Why do I feel like Kun has an underlying plan?”

“Did you get Haechan? Don’t we need a forger, in case?” Doyoung asked, Taeyong shaking his head.

“Na Jaemin has been begging but honestly, I don’t know much about him to recruit him,” Taeyong said. “Haechan, no luck yet—”

And a knock on the door sounded. I jolted up, nervous that it may be one of Kun’s people. There was a small shuffle and Taeyong lifted a hand to his lips to tell us to keep quiet. It was silent for a second and I could hear footsteps walk away and when Taeyong was about to stand up, another thud sounded.

What was happening?

A little bit more shuffling then silence.

Taeyong crept to the door, opening it carefully when he looked down and grabbed something. It looked like a milk carton and he held it up; ecstatic. On the milk carton there was sun drawn on it with a black pen with a smiley face in the middle of the sun. The smiley face glittered, unlike the black marker that bordered it.

“Ah, the Fullsun. Haechan?” Doyoung asked and Taeyong nodded. “He agreed to be on our team!”

“Yes, that’s great!” Jeno cheered. “Why did he draw a smiley face in the middle?”

“He’s trying to be spazzy,” Doyoung replied. “What are we doing with Haechan then?”

“We’ll let him get the orb while we distract the other team. We won’t even give him an earpiece—he’s Haechan. He’ll figure it out. For now, Dana… Try to get information from Kun’s side as much as possible and then we’ll finalize the plan.”

The meeting ended and that night, I went back to the room to see Chenle on his computer as usual. The in-house assessment was in two days and I really wanted to do well. Somehow, everyone telling me how good Sehun made me feel like I had to do something to prove myself too.

In the end, I was Sehun’s sister.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Qian Kun, WayV's strategist]

The next day went normal. I went to Kun’s room in the morning to finalize the plan for the next day.

“Lucas will be in front of the lab and he’ll work as a defense. Ten will be in the vents to try to infiltrate the lab. He has done it so many times, he can do it again,” Kun revised. “Here is an ear piece to use tomorrow.”

“What will Hendery do?”

“I know Doyoung will try to go through the vents so Ten will handle Doyoung. For Hendery, I know Jeno will be around trying to get in too so Hendery will focus on Jeno,” Kun told me and I nodded. “You stay in front with Lucas for intimidation. I know Crowd will be hacking so we can use that to our advantage so he’ll be the one opening the door for us without us having to recruit a hacker of our own. I have a few tricks up my sleeve.”

“Did you recruit anyone else?” I asked, Kun lifting up his shoulders. “Oh, right. I’m not supposed to know.”

Kun chuckled and dismissed me and I kept my lips sealed until I went to class. When I sat down, I saw Jeno jotting something down on a piece of paper. Looking closer, I saw that it was just notes for class.

“Nice pen,” I said to Jeno, seeing that his pen had little sparkles on it. Jeno stopped writing, looking at it before frowning. “I didn’t take you for a man who liked glittery pens.”

“Eh? It’s not mine, though.” He said and I leaned forward to look at it closely. The pens ink looked similar to the pen that was used to draw the smiley face on the milk carton. I didn’t think much about it, telling Jeno that it was probably Haechan’s pen. In the end, we all knew Haechan always went in and out of other people’s rooms.

“Maybe it is Haechan’s,” Jeno agreed. “though I remember getting it from Jaemin’s side of the room—”

“Now, what were you doing on Jaemin’s side of the room?”

“It's a Wednesday,” Jeno reminded me.

“Oh. Right. Well, see you after class,” I told him and Jeno nodded, engrossed in his notes taking. After class, I went to Taeyong’s room and finally told him what Kun told me. Hendery was to tail Jeno and Ten will be on the ceiling. Lucas was also recruited and I was to be used as infiltration.

“Good,” Taeyong mused. “Mhmm.. That’s good. If Hendery is trailing Jeno and that is their plan, Jeno—you should bring him far away from the site as possible. Make him think you’re up to something.”

“Will do.”

“Dana, just focus on trying to get the orb. It should be simple enough if you stick to the plan,” Taeyong told me. “Just don’t blow your cover. Here is an ear piece.”

He handed me an earpiece and I told him that Kun also gave me an earpiece. Taeyong told me to use both and I found myself trying it on.

“Put your hair down,” Doyoung said and I used my hair to cover my ears. “Can’t be seen. We’re using normal ear pieces and not mission ear pieces so they’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter