Epilogue I [Healed]

It’s Okay To Be Killers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don’t have to tell you about the story about how Johnny proposed to me, because it was over a fancy dinner. I saw how he was so nervous, the male fidgeting over and over again. I remember coming back from the bathroom, a small chocolate ball on my plate. I had smiled at him, finally knocking the dessert with my fork when the chocolate broke into half just for me to catch a glimpse of the ring on the plate.

He didn’t have to say anything, and I already blurted it out.

“Yes.”

We were already married, but it was time to finally have a wedding ceremony and finally get proper rings. I loved Johnny with all my heart and I know that he loved me, too. That night, we watched the fireworks together, Johnny holding me from behind, tucking me under his chin.

“I think we need to start planning the wedding,” he said to me and I chuckled, telling him that it was fine.

“Jeffrey got it,” I assured, knowing my best friend would be the one handling everything. And like I said, Jaehyun got it to the T. He and Doyoung began to plan, the food, the venue, the color scheme. Jaehyun sent out the invitations and we were to get married in a few weeks. Johnny’s father was travelling Korea at the moment, but he assured us that he would attend the wedding.

It was good to finally see Johnny and his father be on good terms. Whatever hatred Johnny had for his father was slowly melting away but it was also obvious that Jaehyun liked Johnny’s father a little bit too much. Doctor Jongho called from time to time to check on Johnny and it seemed like each conversation with his father, Johnny slowly opened up.

“Yeah, take care, Dad,” he said and I smiled when Johnny hung up. He was driving me home and I asked what he had planned for the day, Johnny telling me that he had someone to finally meet but he wanted to do it alone.

“It’s time I heal, Dana,” was what he said and I nodded, letting him do his own thing.

And with that, he dropped me off and I wished him good luck.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

He meant it when he said he had to heal.

Johnny parked the car under one of his hotels, the male moving out of the car just to fix his suit. He was nervous, more nervous than when he proposed to Dana. He held the wedding invitations in his hand, finally entering the hotel when he walked up to the reception to say the name of the person he wanted to meet.

“I have put them in the Royal Suite as you asked me to, sir,” the woman saying and Johnny nodding, grabbing a card to make his way up to the Royal Suite. His footsteps felt heavy and he entered the elevator, making his way up.

Each floor that went up made Johnny feel like he was suffocating until he reached the top and the elevator opened.

The moment he stepped out, an eight-year-old child’s laughter could be heard and he stepped out, hearing his name.

“Youngho.” He looked up to see his mother. She looked just like how he remembered her—she was just happier and her smile reached her eyes. “John… Oh, honey. You look simply dashing.”

“Mom,” he greeted, his mother rushing to hug him and Johnny hugged her back, clearing his throat. “Thank you for coming to Korea for me.”

“Honey, the kids were having their summer break, anyway. The hotel is amazing and they are enjoying it a lot.” She said to him and Johnny managed to smile, looking over at two children at the side. One of them was older, seemed to be a teenager—headphones and eye strained onto the screen.

“Jason, come here. Here is your brother, John,” His mother said, the eight-year-old smiling at him when Johnny lifted a hand to give him a high five. “The older one’s name is James. He’s going through his terrible teens.”

It’s funny how Johnny didn’t feel at all out of place even when it wasn’t his family. A voice greeted him from behind and he saw that it was his mothers’ husband, Johnny shaking his hand firmly.

“You must be John. Your mother never shuts up about you,” he said kindly, giving a hearty laugh. He resembled the children and Johnny found himself smiling at the comment. “You’re very handsome, boy. And very successful at a very young age.”

“All thanks to my fiancé,” Johnny said. “You must be Dan.”

“That’s right. I’ve wanted to meet you for the longest time and I would tell your mother to invite you over for Christmas but she has always said that you were busy.” He chuckled. “I understand why now, you must be a workaholic.”

“That, and my fiancé is an amazing businesswoman,” Johnny said, giving credit to Dana where it was due.

“You know what they say, behind every powerful man is a strong woman,” Dan said and Johnny smiled at the words. Johnny then gave them the invitation, his mother’s eyes widening at the white card. Jaehyun had written their real names and his mother beamed at the news. “Thank you for inviting us, son. We’ll definitely be there.”

“Oh, John. This is great. Come, come and have tea with your mother,” She said and Johnny moved towards the table, Dan ushering the kids into the bedroom so they could have their privacy. “How’ve you been, John? Dana seems like a great woman.”

“She is,” Johnny said, nodding. “She’s a strong woman, Mom. Sometimes she reminds me of you.”

His mother chuckled to herself, pouring tea for her and her son when Johnny decided to mention his father.

“I’ve been talking to Dad these days,” he said and his mother didn’t look surprised. She nodded.

“I know, son. He told me.”

Now, that was more shocking.

“He told you? You talk to him?”

“Of course, John,” she replied. “Honey, your father and I are divorced but we spent a great deal of time together. I still send him Christmas cards.”

Johnny blinked.

“You were mad at both of us.” She smiled sadly at him. “And when you left, you distanced yourself from us. At that time, all I could do was hope you’d come back to us.”

“I didn’t know you guys were on good terms. You guys fought a lot at home and I—” Johnny cleared his throat, remembering what his father told him. “I guess, I didn’t—”

“Honey, your father was twelve years older than me,” his mother said. “So, I married young and to top that off, he was a scientist! Their brains work different. But your father’s heart was in the right place. He didn’t show it much, but he loved you so much.”

Johnny went silent.

“And fights…. That happens in every relationship. Especially, when you’re not ready for one.”

Just like what his father told him. Johnny felt a pang of guilt.

“But you were young, John. And a person’s childhood shapes them, I don’t blame you for doing what you thought was best for you. I blame myself and your father for allowing you to see things and not explaining anything to you as a child.”

“Mom,” he said, leaning forward. “I want to have a relationship with you. With you and Dad, too. I think I—”

“Harbored hate for far too long?” she asked softly and Johnny nodded. “It’s time to heal. And your father and I will be with you every step of the way.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[Back home]

I felt the bed dip, Johnny’s hands going around my body as he nuzzled my neck and I could smell wine from his lips. I checked the time to see that it was midnight and I wondered where he went, turning to hug him tightly.

“Where did you go?” I asked, Johnny’s arms tightening around my body. “You’ve been drinking?”

“Mhmm. With my mother and my mothers’ husband.” Johnny said, his words slurred and my eyes flew open. “Dana, I was wrong all along.”

His voice was tinted with sadness and I knew better than to ask him what he meant. Times like this, it was better to just let Johnny speak his mind.

“Tell me you’re proud of me,” he said to me and I whispered that I was proud of him. “I took the first step today, Dana. I took the first step towards healing and I swear it was like something cleared inside of me.”

His eyes fluttered close and I smiled, kissing his perfectly shaped lips.

“And I was so hurt and angry before, I didn’t realize this is how it felt to forgive,” he whispered.

“Healing is a journey, Johnny,” I told him softly. “and I’m here, aren’t I?”

“You said exactly what my mother said,” he said, his lips molding against my mine, kissing me. “You don’t know how much I love you.”

“Show me.” I told him softly, Johnny’s hands travelling down my body.

“With pleasure,” he whispered back.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was the day of the wedding and I was in my white dress, Doyoung and Jaehyun rushing around to make sure everything was in the right place. I couldn’t see Johnny until the ceremony but his father came to wish me good luck. His mother and her family followed and I was bombarded with compliments, boosting up my ego.

“You look so good, pretty girl,” Jaemin said to me and I beamed at him. I wanted so bad for all of NCT to our brides men but Doyoung said it was too hard to handle so both Johnny and I could choose only two people.

At first, one of them would be Jaehyun but of course, he declined it for some very valid reasons so I settled for Jaemin and Chenle.

Jaemin because as crazy as he was, he was loyal and I have been through so much with him. I sometimes thought back to the day I met him and how I hated how he was wasting my time but when I looked at him now—he was a different person all together.

Chenle…. How do I even get started with Chenle? He was there since the beginning. The hacker, the roommate. When Jaehyun told me I was in trouble, he was the only one who stuck with the Seasonies till the end when he knew he could have just stayed with NCT. Chenle had a special place in my heart and I was forever thankful for him.

“She looks like she would fly up to heaven any time soon,” Chenle said and I wanted to smack him. The hacker laughed.

“Do I look like I’m about to die?” I snapped at him, Chenle rolling his eyes at him. He was still sarcastic, don’t get me wrong. “And Chenle, can you do something about your chickens in the morning?”

“Dana, how many times do I have to tell you that it’s a rooster? If it crows, it’s a rooster. If it lays eggs, it’s a chicken,” Chenle informed me and I waved him away, the male saying that he’d go and look at the food.

“I’ll see you when you walk down the alter, Dana,” Jaemin said to me. “It’s going to be such a beautiful day! Oh, what a good day to be alive!”

I didn’t doubt that at all, the sound of the bell and the ceremony starting soon enough. Suddenly, the door opened and Jaehyun stood there, smiling at me.

“Jae,” I greeted and he laughed. “I was going to call you Jeffrey but then I realize that I used to call you Jae before.”

“Feeling nostalgic?” Jaehyun asked, stepping towards me and offering me his arm. “I can’t believe I’m walking you down the altar.”

“You took care of me for so many years, there isn’t anyone else,” I told him and Jaehyun smiled, turning to hug me gently as to not smudge my make up. “Even if you became my friend for just a science experiment.”

“Oh, please,” Jaehyun said. “You’ve come a long way, Dana. I’m so happy for you.”

“And I’m happy I have you,” I concluded, Jaehyun leading me to the entrance. The doors were still closed and I could see Doyoung racing to the side, giving them the signal. The venue was beautiful and there were sakura flowers everywhere—something that Yuta insisted on having incorporated into the wedding.

The wedding was a mix of red and white and I could hear the music change smoothly in the background. Doyoung said he and Taeyong chose the music and that they spent countless hours finding a suitable song when finally, the song reached my ears.

I’d climb every mountain And swim every ocean Just to be with you And fix what I’ve broken Oh, ‘cause I need you to see That you’re the reason

 

I don’t know what was it with the song, but I felt my heart swell. My throat felt dry and for a moment I realized how thirsty I was. My hand tightened around Jaehyun’s arm, the doors finally opening wide open. Everyone stood up and I saw Johnny stand there, in a suit by an altar.

  There goes my hand shaking And you are the reason My heart keeps bleeding I need you now

, I was so in love with him. Johnny Suh and his uneven eyes. Johnny Suh and his strengths and his weaknesses. His patience and his endurance. I blinked, Jaehyun finally moving forward. I took a step, my eyes not leaving Johnny’s and I saw his eyes glaze over. My already legal husband reaching up to tug on his tie, his eyes fluttering when I saw his eyes well up.

Was he crying?

If I could turn back the clock I’d make sure the light defeated the dark I’d spend every hour of every day Keeping you safe

Whatever Doyoung and Taeyong chose, it was enough to make me feel emotional. Jaehyun finally brought us down and I reached Johnny, Jaehyun handing me over to Johnny, my best friend stepping to the side to stand beside Jaemin and Chenle who smiled at both of us.

My hands trembled and I looked up at Johnny, my husband’s eyes gliding over my features when he finally he spoke.

“Dana,” he whispered.

I nodded to show that I was listening, the world around me revolving around the man in front of me.

“You look beautiful,” he said and I blinked.

“You don’t have to lie, Johnny,” I said but his hands trembled, squeezing my fingers so tightly I was sure my hands turned white.

“You look beautiful,” was what he repeated and my eyes widened at his words, realizing that Johnny was once again, finally able to see faces. “You look so beautiful.”

I choked, closing my eyes at his words because it was all I ever wanted for him. When I opened them once more, I could see him staring at me. I wanted to hug him, kiss him and tell him I was happy for him but I knew it was best to wait.

“We’re here to celebrate the holy matrimony of Oh Dana and Johnny Suh,” Taeyong began and I smiled. Only Taeyong could do it. At first, Jaemin wanted to do it but we were sure it would be a fiasco. “Before that, we should let the bridesmen speak. Oh Sehun.”

Sehun was the first to speak, his eyes on me and Johnny.

“Johnny,” he said, and for some reason, everyone laughed. “I am handing the most precious thing to me to you. My sister is a strong woman and it may be hard to handle her on some days, but it’s you.”

“Now what does that mean?” I grumbled and I could hear a few snickers. I glared at Hendery who gave me a finger heart.

“You have always been very reliable, very determined to live life based on your ideals. Now, all I ask is you to take each step of the way with Dana. And god forbid you hurt her; they don’t call me the Ace for nothing—”

“Oh, Sehun,” Johnny said, shaking his head, a smile on his face.

“Take care of her,” Sehun concluded, the microphone moving to Chenle who cleared his throat.

“Oh no,” I whispered.

“Oh Dana is stupid and has always been stupid,” Chenle said, smiling cheekily at me. “I remember you coming the first day and you knew nothing—I remember thinking to myself, she won’t last a day! Well, sike—I’ve seen you make Venn Diagrams on two people…”

“Chenle!” I said, Jaemin howling in laughing.

“I’ve seen you cry because you thought life was unfair and I’ve seen nothing but strength from you.” Chenle’s face softened. “And I’m so proud, and so happy that I met you.”

A huge “Awww!” erupted through the crowd.

“And Dana, I know I never say this, but you’re the sister I never had,” he said, smiling at me. “and thank you for making me feel like I had family.”

I smiled back at him, Chenle bringing the microphone away from his lips and mouthing an “I love you.” to me. Oh, what a cupcake. I beamed at him, the microphone going to the one person I knew had every right to say something.

“I met Dana first,” Jaehyun said and it was the power of Jung Jeffrey, the venue going quiet. “And she was different. She is hot headed; she is everything you wouldn’t want in a daughter—”

“Jeffrey,” I said to him and he chuckled.

“But she is loyal.” He smiled to me. “She’s the type to drop everything for someone she cares about. The one time I knew that my friendship with Dana was real was when she spent nights with me when I was going through my exams. She knew of my dreams, she knew I needed a shoulder to rely on and Dana, I know you think you rely on me but there were times when it was the other way around.”

Jaehyun cleared his throat. “And because of that, I owe a lifetime of friendship to you.”

I thought he was done, Jaehyun turning to look at Johnny.

“Johnny, you take duty to another level.”

A murmur of agreeance went through the crowd.

“Thank you for your courage, your ability to take care of everyone you thought needed help and even if all of us thought you were scary from time to time, you never hesitated to show how much you cared in your own way.” Jaehyun smiled. “You’re my brother from another mother and I thank you for that. And now that you can handle Dana, what a weight has lifted.”

I glared at Jaehyun, my best friend winking at me. Johnny was silent and I saw him staring at people, my husband’s eyes finally settling on mine.

“Now, we shall start the ceremony. Do you Johnny Suh, take Oh Dana as your rightfully wedded wife?” Taeyong asked, Johnny smiling and saying yes when the question was passed on to me.

“Yes. With every part of me,” I said to Johnny, my lovers hand going to squeeze my fingers tightly, Taeyong opening a box. It was a shiny ring, nothing new, of course—Johnny asked me what kind of ring I wanted before he bought it.

But it hit different, seeing Johnny slowly sliding it on my finger.

This would be the one person I would spend the rest of my life with.

And I would have no regrets.

“I love you so ing much.” I heard Johnny breathe, his strong arms finally grabbing me. His lips crashed against mine and I heard cheers in the background, Johnny kissing me like his life depended on it.

“You’re announced man and wife,” Taeyong finally said, Johnny coming up for air.

“You mean, woman and husband,” he corrected Taeyong and I laughed, Johnny kissing my cheek. “, I hit the jackpot. You’re so beautiful—it’s not funny anymore.”

I wondered what he meant by that until the wedding ended and we all went to party.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I followed Johnny like a shadow. He was like a child, going from place to place, wondering about things that were normal to us.

“Damn, Dana,” he said. “I know you said Jaehyun was good looking, but I didn’t know he was that good looking. I understand now.”

I laughed, watching Johnny poke Jaehyun’s dimple gently. He was being weird but I guessed it was because he finally could see faces. It may be because he was finally healed—he was safe and he wasn’t on guard anymore.

“Dana!” I heard Johnny say once more, his hands grabbing me.

“What? What?” I managed to say, Johnny pointing at Taeyong. “That’s Taeyong—”

“Dana, I know you mentioned Jaehyun but Taeyong? Wow, look at that jawline! Why didn’t anyone ever compliment him?” Johnny asked, his eyes wide open as he stared at each and everyone at the wedding. “Oh, and Dana—Your nose is cute.”

“Cute?” I managed to ask. “Cute? It’s not supposed to be cute! It’s supposed to be y—”

“Cute,” Johnny said, tweaking my nose and going to find other people. In a distance, I could hear him yell out to Sehun how ‘ethereal’ his looks were. “Ah, Jisung. Look at you, no wonder everyone calls you a chick!”

“Oh lord,” I whispered to myself, covering myself.

“At least he can finally see what your kids look like,” Chenle said from beside me and I watched as Johnny thumped Doyoung on the back, telling him he looked like a “bunny”.

“Right,” I said, chuckling to myself.

He was healed.

_______________________________________________________________

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter