Coffee Time

By Your Side

"Three brown sugar milk tea please. One extra pearl, and one extra milk and one extra brown sugar. Thanks!"

 

Sunnee said as she, Mei Yun and Xuan Yi went to the milk tea store for a while. "Finally, my lifeline!" Xuan Yi said as she waited for their orders. "You're a milk tea addict, aren't you?" Sunnee asked. Xuan Yi nodded her head. "Milk tea is life." Xuan Yi said. "Today is a busy day, isn't it? My fingers are sore dialing numbers for potentials clients and advertisers." Mei Yun said. "If today is a busy day, tomorrow is a busier day." Xuan Yi said. 

 

"Oh, hello girls."

 

They heard a familiar voice say. They looked back, and saw Evan standing behind them. "Mr. Ma, you're here to buy milk tea too?" Xuan Yi asked. Evan smiled and nodded his head. "Actually, it's my first time in this shop. Do you have any suggestions?" Evan asked. "Sunnee said their Brown Sugar Milk Tea is the best here." Mei Yun said. Evan looked at Sunnee and smiled. "You must be a frequent customer here?" Evan asked. 

 

Sunnee shook her head. "No, but we took photos for their product before, and have tasted their milk tea. I can vouch for it." Sunnee said. Evan nodded his head. "So, you girls like milk tea?" Evan asked. "I do! But Sunnee here likes coffee more." Xuan Yi said. Evan looks at Sunnee, interested in what he found out. "Really?" Evan asked. "Well, I need my cup of joe to function, especially in the morning." Sunnee said. "I'm the same with you." Evan said. 

 

Then, their orders were ready. The three girls took their cups. "So, we'll see you around, Mr. Ma?" Sunnee said. Evan smiled at him. "Just call me Evan. We all work under Chief, right?" he said. Sunnee nodded her head. "Then, see you later, Evan." she said. They waved goodbye at him, and went back to the office.

 

--

 

The next day.

 

Sunnee and Win were busy editing some photos that morning at the office. Then, Dylan and Evan arrived. "Good morning, Chief!" she heard everyone greeted their boss. She looked up, and greeted them too. "Morning, Chief." she said. Dylan just nodded to acknowledge her. Then, Evan walked up her station, and placed a cup of coffee on her desk. "Morning." he said with a wink. 

 

Sunnee was surprised at what he did, and could only stare at him as he walked into the Cheif's office. "Ooohhh someone's trying to hit on my boss." Win . Sunnee hit his chest, making him flinch in pain. She took the cup and sipped from it. Then, she smiled to herself. "Good morning to me..." she said to herself before going back to work.

 

"What's the agenda today, Evan?" Dylan asked as he took a seat. "Well, aside from the board meeting this afternoon, there's a staff meeting today for the new online magazine." Evan said. "What time is it?" Dylan asked. Evan looked at his watched. "It should be right now." he reminded her. Dylan let out a sigh. "OK, gather everyone at the conference room." he said. Evan just nodded his head. 

 

A few minutes later, everyone is at the conference room. The moment Dylan entered the room, Dylan eyed on Sunnee. "Fluffy... cheeks..." he thought. He cleared his throat to get back to his senses, and then he began the meeting. "Together with the sales event on our online shop, we are going to launch a new online magazine called Pastel. This is a good opportunity to expand our online shop platform, Shopster. For now, the sales and marketing team will work on the new online magazine. New team members will come in the moment we have stabilized the magazine."

 

Then, he looked at Sunnee. "Miss Yang, you'll be working on both the online shop platform and the online magazine we're going to use." Dylan said. Sunnee nodded his head. "So, we need to plan the topic for the first issue of the magazine." he said. Then, Xuan Yi raised his hand. "Chief, what is the online magazine all about?" she asked. Dylan smiled at her. "Good thing you asked. This is about anything and everything under the sun. But for the first issue, we would like to cater to teens up to young adults." Dylan explained. 

 

"Then, how about we feature the products from Shopster that has the highest sales for this age category? Not only that, let's feature the trendiest food and the latest fashion that age range." Sunnee suggested. Dylan's eyes lightened up upon hearing that. "That's a good idea, Miss Yang." he said. 

 

Then, he turned to the rest of his staff. "Let's go and plan for our first issue, all right?" Dylan told them.

 

--

 

"Sunnee, we need some help..."

 

Xuan Yi said as she approached her station. "What is it?" Sunnee asked. "We wanted to interview the owner of Little Star Cafe, and we need pictures..." Xuan Yi said. Upon hearing the name of the cafe, her face lightened up. "Little Star Cafe?" she asked. Xuan Yi said. "It's the most visited coffee shop from my research. Not only is the shop cozy, I heard the food tastes great too!" Xuan Yi explained. 

 

Win slid beside Sunnee, and had a grin of his face. "Oh, and the boss is generous too!" Win said. With that, Sunnee nudged Win on his side. "I know the cafe. Don't worry, I know the owner." Sunnee said. Xuan Yi's face lightened up. "Really?"

"The boss is my brother. Don't worry, I got you on this. Let me talk to him, and you can interview him."

"That;s great! Well, I heard the boss of the coffee shop is a little cold and doesn't like talking to most people. But I also heard he's handsome..."

 

Win smiled at Xuan Yi. "He is! Also, he's not that cold. He's just serious. Especially at work. But I think I'm more handsome than the boss there." Win said. With that, Sunnee hit his head. Xuan Yi could only laugh at the two. 

 

"What is this I'm hearing you're planning to go to Little Star Cafe?" Dylan said as he walked towards them. The three of them looked up at him. "Chief! Yes, we're planning to go to that cafe. Good thing Sunnee knows the boss there." Xuan Yi said. Dylan then looked at Sunnee. "The owner is my brother. Actually, it's our family business and my brother is currently running it." she explained. "Then, I hope you guys don't mind if I join you to the cafe?" Dylan asked. "No we wouldn't mind, Chief." Xuan Yi said. 

 

Then, he turned to Sunnee again. "It's my opportunity to formally apologize to you brother for what happened to his car. Also, I've been wanting to go to that cafe for a long time." Dylan said. Sunnee's eyes lightened up upon hearing that. "R-r-really?" she asked. Dylan nodded his head. "I heard they have a special bear-shaped burger and a modern tea time set." Dylan said. 

 

Xuan Yi then look at his notes. "Oh, that's part of my list for the Little Star Cafe! I'm also dying to have their milk tea!" Xuan Yi said. Sunnee could only shake her head at Xuan Yi because of her love for milk tea. "Oh, Xuan Yi..." she said. "So, it's settle then. Let's go the cafe this afternoon, OK?" Dylan said. "Yes, Chief!" Xuan Yi said. 

 

After Xuan Yi and Dylan left her station, Sunnee let out a sigh. "I think you better call your brother now." Win told her. She reached for her phone and dialed the cafe's phone.

 

"Little Star Cafe." 

 

She heard her brother say at the other line. "Ge, we're going to the cafe today." Sunnee said. "We have a lot of food at home. Spare this cafe. Tell that to Win." Aaron said on the other line. "Ge, we're not going there to eat. We're going there to interview you and to shoot." 

"Didn't you make a shoot for me before you started your job? I think it's OK for our new menu-"

"No, as in we'll interview you and take pictures of your food for our online magazine."

"Sunnee, you know I have rules about that. Those who want to interview the handsome me should give me at least three days-"

"My new boss is coming with us. 

 

Aaron fell silent for a while. "Which boss? Are you talking about that bear?" he asked. "Yes?"

"And?"

"Can you prepare all of your best selling food?"

"That's not what I'm talking about. What's in it for me?"

"Pride and prestige?

"Aside from that?"

"Be featured in an online magazine?"

"Not that. Anything else?"

"Ge! Can you be at least be nice to us and my boss?"

"It comes at a price, Mei Mei."

 

Sunnee let out a disgruntled sigh. "What do you want?" she asked. "There's this new sneakers I've been eyeing on for months now...." Aaron said. Sunnee exhaled hard. "All right, I'll get it to you when I get my paycheck. So, can you please be nice to us, and accommodate us?" she asked in an annoyed tone. "Of course. I'll see you later, my little baby cutie sister." Aaron said before hanging the phone. 

 

After that phone call, she looked at Win. "Seems like you're going to be broke on payday, boss?" Win asked. Sunnee could only nod her head. "Stupid brother..." she muttered under her breath. 

 

--

 

"Welcome to Little Star Cafe!"

 

Aaron greeted the moment Sunnee, Xuan Yi, Win and Dylan entered the cafe. "Oh, the review I've read is right. The boss is really handsome!" Xuan Yi said as she blushed. "Please, he's not handsome." Sunnee mumbled. Dylan looked at Aaron, and then looked at her. "I think both of you are cute." he said, as he pinched her cheek, finally. 

 

With that, Sunnee blushed. "T-thank you." she said. "Anyway, I've reserved the best seat in the cafe for all of you. Thank you for taking care of my cute baby little sister. Please continue to look after her and guide her." Aaron said. "Oh, don't worry. Your sister is a hardworking girl." Dylan said. Aaron let out a wide smile. "Really? Since when?" he asked. With that, Sunnee stomped on his feet, making him flinch in pain. 

 

"Are you all right?" Dylan asked worried as he looked at the pained expression on  his face. "Oh, he's OK. He's like that when his back aches. You know, he's getting old." Sunnee said. The brother and sister let out a smile but then glared at each other. "Your seat is right this way." Aaron said as he lead them to their seat. 

 

Moments later after they were seated, Aaron and his staff delivered a lot of food on their table. Sunnee began to take pictures of it while Xuan Yi interview Aaron. Meanwhile, Dylan could only stare at Sunnee as she does her job. "So, I heard this is a family business?" Xuan Yi asked Aaron. "Yes, it is. My father first own this cafe. Then, after I graduated from Culinary school, I helped with the cafe. Then, I took over when he got sick and died." Aaron said. 

 

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that..." Dylan said. Hearing about their father, Sunnee stopped what he was doing. Aaron noticed the sudden change of expression on her face. "I guess your father would have wanted the two of you to run the cafe?" Dylan asked. Aaron looked at Sunnee, and smiled. "All my father wanted is for the two of us to be happy at what we do. I'm happy running this little cafe, and I know Sunnee is happy with her chosen profession. Right, mei mei?" Aaron asked. Sunnee just nodded her head. 

 

"I'm sorry to ask this, but when did your father died?" Dylan asked. "Almost two years ago." Aaron said. Sunnee took a deep breath to compose herself. Then she looked at Xuan Yi, and forced a smile. "Why don't you continue to interview my brother. I'll go around and take pictures of the shop." she said. She stood up and leave, and Aaron can only look at her worriedly. 

 

"I'm sorry about my sister..." Aaron said as he turned to Xuan Yi and Dylan. "We're both really close to my father and she's still having a hard time moving on from his death." he added. "Then, Aaron ge, I'll look after  boss." Win said. Then, Dylan stopped him. "No, just continue taking pictures. I'll go to her." Dylan said. Win just nodded his head. After Dylan left, Aaron turned to Xuan Yi, let's continue the interview." he said. Xuan Yi nodded her head and asked her next question to him. 

 

Dylan followed Sunnee outside, where she was taking pictures of the faced of the cafe. "Hey..." Dylan said as he approached her. Sunnee let out a smile at her boss. "Chief! Why are you here?" she asked. "I just want to make sure you're OK." he said. Sunnee just nodded her head. "Sorry for asking those questions. I never thought you're still affected by your father's death..." Dylan said. 

 

"Sorry for being to emotional about it. I promise I won't let it affect my job." Sunnee said. Then, she took some more pictures of the signage and the facade of the shop. "Aaron said you two are really close to your father..." Dylan asked. Sunnee nodded her head. "He and Aaron are the only family I have ever known. You see, me and Aaron... he adopted us." she said. 

 

Dylan was surprised at what he heard. He felt even more sorry for her. "Oh, I'm sorry... I didn't know..." he said. "Nobody would know unless we tell them. I'm as handsome as my brother, right?" she asked. Dylan smiled, and pinched her cheek again. "No, you're a cutie pie." he said as he make a cute face. This made Sunnee laugh. "See, you're prettier when you smile, Sunnee. I hope you don't mind me calling you Sunnee..." he said. Sunnee shook her head. "I don't mind, Chief." she said. 

 

"People come and go into our lives. Some stay for a while, some had to leave us. But that doesn't mean that those who left us never loved us. It's just that they believe leaving us is the best way to tell us they love us. Your father may not be here, but I know in his heart, he never want to leave you and your brother alone. I believe he never left you all along...." he said. 

 

Then, he took both of her hands. "They said that if you clap your hands three times, and a leaf fell on your palm, it means the person you miss, misses you too. Why don't you give it a try?" he said. then, he helped her as she clapped her hands thrice. After a while, a small maple leaf landed at the palm of her hand. 

 

With that, Dylan smiled at her. "See? Your father misses you too. Maybe he's just around to look after youl." he said. Sunnee stared at the maple leaf for a long time, and then she looked up at him. "Xiao Xiong, do you miss me too?" she muttered under her breath. 

 

Dylan could only give her a confused look.