A normal civilian

Ignited Freedom

So...how did this happen?

Tzuyu wears an awkward expression as she drinks her coffee and looks at the woman wearing a simple white t-shirt and a black cap in front of her.

The woman looks at her with serious eyes, almost like daggers piercing her soul.

“Go straight to the point, I have things to do.” The auburn brown-haired woman sighs and looks around with an irritated expression.

“Like what? Robbing a bank or a lab?” Tzuyu says as they link gazes, her sharp greyish black orbs look at the burning brownish-green eyes.

“Maybe, but is not like your famous team can stop me.” The woman says with a cocky tone

“You’re too confident.” Tzuyu let’s out a dry chuckle. “but I guess is part of your nature, isn’t it? Wildfire-N”

“You don’t know anything about me, Iceberg lady.” The woman frowns.

Iceberg lady? That’s a new one.” The blue grey-haired woman thinks and then leaves her cup on the table carefully. “Then, illustrate me.” Tzuyu crosses her arms and looks at the woman with serious eyes. “Why did you save that child? Nayeon-sshi

Nayeon bites her inner cheek and turns to look at the window, the city view seems to be more interesting now.

Tzuyu sighs and asks again. “Why?”

“I don’t have time for this bull.” Nayeon says as she gets up and starts to walk out of the coffee shop.

The team leader only shakes her head and leaves a few bucks on the table, before she gets out, she apologizes to the coffee staff with a quick bow. “I apologize, thank you for the coffee it was great as always.”

Tzuyu looks around finding Nayeon walking quickly to the hero university, Tzuyu runs and stops in front of Nayeon.

Nayeon stops abruptly and looks at Tzuyu frowning, clearly annoyed. “Now what?”

“You didn’t answer.” Tzuyu looks at her, her height towering over Nayeon’s

Nayeon rolls her eyes. “And why do you care?”

Tzuyu rubs her face with her hand in silence.

“So now you don’t want to answer.” Nayeon chuckles dryly. “You demand answers but refuse to give answers, just because you’re a hero, doesn’t mean you’re the law.”

“A villain talking about law, isn’t this surprising.” Tzuyu smiles with irritation. “I just wanna know why you did it, nothing more nothing less.”

“And after I tell you what?” Nayeon scoffs. “This is probably an undercover mission and I can almost sense your teammates will jump from anywhere.”

Tzuyu sighs and tries to remain calm. “I’m not asking for your trust, but I’m the only one here.”

“Even if that was true, why should I trust you?” Nayeon frowns again. “You’re the enemy.

Tzuyu knew she was going to face this situation, obviously, the villain wasn’t going to answer her quickly but still, she expected she would be less stubborn.

You’re my enemy too, but a villain doesn’t save a child and hold it as if its life depends on it.” Tzuyu looks at Nayeon straight into the eye.

Nayeon opens her eyes surprised and lets out a sigh, she seems to think about it and Tzuyu looks at her believing maybe the woman will tell her the answer she wants to hear.

“If you weren’t a hero, maybe I could tell you.” Nayeon says and looks at Tzuyu’s greyish black eyes for a moment before turning around and walks to the university again but she stops.

“Oh, and if you get near her…” Nayeon shoots the team leader a side-look from her shoulder. “I will burn you to the bones, Chou Tzuyu

And with that, Nayeon leaves.

Tzuyu purses her lips, she knows it’s easy to identify her since she and the team don’t wear masks but the villain knowing her name makes her feel uneasy and hassled.

So she decides to let her go and only freeze her hands with irritated ice.

------------------------------------------------------

The team leader taps the table as she looks blankly at the white wall in front of her.

“You are pretty quiet and anxious today, did something happen?”

Tzuyu snaps from her bubble and turns to meet her teammates’ worried eyes. “No, the coffee from this morning was…bitter.”

“Uh-huh.” Mina and Jeongyeon say as they look at Tzuyu suspiciously.

“Sure, Jan.” Sana says and chuckles. “Tell us the truth whenever you want.”

“Well, that was partially true.” Tzuyu thinks and nods quietly. “Thanks guys, and what did you want to tell me?”

“The hero university wants us to go and watch the students, and if we can, train one of them.” Jeongyeon shows the email to her teammates. “Other heroes will also participate in this.”

“Isn’t this your father’s Gmail address?” Tzuyu asks with a raised brow and a little smile.

“Yeah, he is a teacher and my mother too there.” Jeongyeon informs with a chuckle. “Although they’re retired heroes, the director has been begging them for our presence...literally.”

“They could’ve asked us?” Tzuyu laughs. “I guess the director knows we refuse most of the campaigns.”

“Well, most of them want us to wear their clothes or products while we’re on duty and sorry but I cannot wear an expensive Gucci coat while I’m in the middle of a fight.” Sana says with a funny tone.

“If only they weren’t so…inconsistent with their ideas.” Mina adds with a chuckle. “Maybe we would accept.”

“I totally agree.” Jeongyeon comments. “I guess the director believes if he asks my parents we are going to accept for sure.”

“Sneaky dude.” Sana laughs. “But I think this idea it’s cool? The new generation seems to have new and cooler quirks, this might help them.”

“I agree with it.” Mina smiles. “When we used to study there, we had this experience once and it was really helpful.”

Tzuyu hums and thinks for a moment before speaking. “I agree with you, what do you say Jeong-unnie?”

“I miss training future heroes.” Jeongyeon shots Tzuyu a playful look. “This will bring cute memories, I’m on it!”

-----------------------------------------------------

The next morning, the team goes to the hero university, as they pass through the empty halls Sana smiles nostalgically.

“Remember when we used to pick up our little Tzu?” Sana smiles. “Time flies.”

“She was a novice taking notes so fast and paying full attention to class.” Mina remembers with a soft voice.

“She was so little.” Jeongyeon says with a sob.

Tzuyu can feel her cheeks get a little red and sighs. “I can hear you guys.” The blue grey-haired woman turns to look at them. “And even when I used to be a student here, I was taller than you.”

“The boots make you look taller.” Jeongyeon squints her eyes.

“Your boots make you look taller, Jeongyeon-unnie.” Tzuyu laughs.

“You’re only 3 cm taller than me kiddo!” Jeongyeon tries to defend herself.

Tzuyu shows her a playful smile and shrugs. “Still, I’m taller.”

The team notices the director’s office and Mina knocks the door, the door opens softly and the team bows politely as they greet the people inside the office.

“Good morning, it’s such a pleasure to have your presence here today. “The director says with a bright smile.

“Taeyeon-unnie! we didn’t know you were the new director.” Tzuyu smiles with surprise. “Thank you for having us here today and for the opportunity.”

“It’s been so long since I saw you girls, your team bloomed beautifully as expected.” Taeyeon, their former trainer and one of the top heroes says with a proud smile.

“You trained us really well!” Sana giggles. “You have part of the credits too.”

The woman with silver hair chuckles softly. “My best students indeed, you were already good even before I trained you, like diamonds in the rust you only needed a few polishments.”

The team laughs softly and Taeyeon looks at them with nostalgia. “How have you been?”

“Great!” Jeongyeon answers. “Well, some days it’s complicated but that’s all.”

“Yeah, some villains are somewhat difficult.” Mina adds.

“Villains are getting powerful.” Taeyeon comments with a light sigh. “That’s why we requested your team along with some heroes.”

“We?” Tzuyu asks.

“Yeah, my mother, the former director was well… begging to your parents for your presence.” Taeyeon coughs with embarrassment. “But since I took charge a few days ago, I was planning to ask you directly.”

“So that’s why.” Jeongyeon laughs along with the team. “I couldn’t imagine you begging for us.”

“Oh, hell no.” Taeyeon laughs loudly. “You know what type of person I am.”

The team nods with tiny chuckles and Tzuyu speaks. “And about the training propose, are we going to choose the student we are going to train?”

“Yes.” Taeyeon says. “After watching the assigned class to you or have a fight with them you can choose.”

“Oh, a fight.” Jeongyeon smirks. “I like this.”

“A fight will be better to see which ones we should choose.” Tzuyu speaks and turns to look at Taeyeon. “How much time are we going to train the student?”

“Four months.” Taeyeon speaks. “You can train them here or wherever you want”

The team share looks and Sana shrugs. "It's all right, four months is not too much, and it will help them."

Taeyeon goes to the door. “Then, can we start?”

----------------------------------------------------------------

The moment the team enters the training room wearing their costumes there are loud gasps and even excited voices, the students seem pretty excited to meet Second-to-none face to face.

“Listen children!” Taeyeon speaks loudly. “Today you’re going to have a unique opportunity, second-to-none is going to fight against all of you and choose one student to train!”

The students let out even more excited noises and even some screams, some students can’t even look at them in the eye and others seem to be enjoying their present wanting to clash punches with them.

“Wow.” Mina laughs quietly. “I didn’t expect this type of response.”

“I feel flattered.” Sana giggles. “But, they’re quite a lot isn’t it?”

“Twenty students to be more exact.” Jeongyeon comments.

“Don’t be so rough with them.” Tzuyu tells them with a light smile. “but not soft either.”

The three women agree with nods and quiet laughs as they turn to look at the students waiting for Taeyeon’s signal.

Once Taeyeon gives the signal all the students run towards them except a few that they suppose are the ones that are thinking about a strategy or have long-range quirks.

Tzuyu decides to block the students that try to attack her with ice walls and a few dodging movements noticing no one can break her ice walls, she looks around only to dodge a punch covered with flames that managed to pierce her ice wall.

The girl who pierced her ice wall turns and opens her palm realizing a fire cannon in Tzuyu’s direction. The team leader moves her feet creating another ice wall that the fire can’t pierce this time only crack it a little bit.

Tzuyu recognizes this girl, however, it’s a surprise that she has a fire quirk.

The blue grey-haired woman moves her hand horizontally creating a cold wind that sends the black-haired girl to the wall, her body crashing with the surface as she coughs.

“This is weird, her movements are not that fast and strong.” Tzuyu frowns. “Isn’t she well trained too? Or is she not related to Wildfire-N’s business?”

Chaeyoung gets up and looks at Tzuyu with her fierce blue eyes making the team leader show a little smirk. “Oh, she doesn’t give up easily, I like that look.”

When Chaeyoung runs towards her she surprises Tzuyu with an unexpected move, a slash of water passes beside her face almost touching her.

Chaeyoung grits her teeth. “, my shooting is still-“ the black-haired girl still manages to approach Tzuyu and tries to punch her

“Water and fire?” Tzuyu opens her eyes with surprise and stops Chaeyoung’s fist, even though is covered with flames, she exhales cold air softly as she freezes Chaeyoung’s fist shocking the black-haired girl.

“Fire is indeed a weakness for me.” Tzuyu says as Chaeyoung raises her face to meet Tzuyu’s greyish black orbs. “But only if the fire temperature is really high.”

Tzuyu moves her feet and the ice travels trough the floor to Chaeyoung’s legs freezing them in seconds.

The back-haired girl tries to free herself with fire but her fire doesn’t work against Tzuyu’s ice, she still tries desperately but in vain, gritting her teeth with frustration.

Tzuyu raises her hand to touch Chaeyoung’s nose making the girl frown curiously but annoyed at the same time. “Little fire is not going to make a cold mountain melt.”

Taeyeon signals that the encounter is over and Sana approaches Chaeyoung using her steam to melt the ice and catches the black-haired girl who falls on her arms the moment all the ice melted.

Chaeyoung can feel her legs shaking because of the ice, even though she tried to warm them with fire, Tzuyu’s ice temperature was so cold for her.

“Are you all right?” Sana asks and Chaeyoung turns to meet Sana’s blueish grey eyes making the tiny girl blush and step back. “Yes! Thank you!”

Sana laughs softly and Tzuyu notices Chaeyoung’s legs shaking a little bit. “Try to warm your legs, slowly not too fast.”

Chaeyoung follows Tzuyu’s advice and her legs slowly start to feel normal again. “It worked…” Chaeyoung whispers and raises her head meeting Tzuyu’s little smile.

“let’s go.” Tzuyu says to Sana and the light brown-haired woman nods letting go Chaeyoung with care.

Tzuyu looks at Chaeyoung for a moment before turning around. “You have good quirks, it only needs more training”

Chaeyoung nods and looks at Tzuyu’s and Sana’s back, the gap between them looks so far, farther than what the little girl thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

“And what do you think?” Taeyeon asks the team once they’re back in the office.

“They’re good, but I think some of them still need quirk training.” Jeongyeon comments

“And think before they attack, they need to work on their strategies and teamwork.” Mina adds. “Running to the enemy first is not the best option always.”

“Their combat abilities were somewhat fine tho.” Sana says and turns to look at Tzuyu. “The kid that fought against you was good even though she still needs training.”

“She caught my attention since she was the only one that could break my ice wall.” Tzuyu says as she remembers Chaeyoung’s fierce blue eyes. “she is a good option, I think she has potential.”

Mina looks at Tzuyu with surprise. “I had a few options but it’s unusual that Tzuyu suggests someone, I guess the girl must be interesting.”

“She is! And she is also so cute like a little lion cub.” Sana giggles and turns to look at Jeongyeon. “I think we should pick her.”

“What is her quirk?” Jeongyeon turns to look at Tzuyu.

“Fire and water.” Tzuyu smiles a little. “it’s a good combination, but I think she hasn’t practiced a lot with them.”

“Ah, I know who you’re talking about!” Taeyeon smiles and searches on her desk, taking a piece of paper in her hand she puts it on her desk. “Im Chaeyoung, one of our new but promising student, she won the full scholarship, her grades are great but as Tzuyu said, she hasn’t practiced a lot with her two quirks, she still needs more training.”

Jeongyeon takes the paper and looks at the picture smiling. “Sana is right, she’s cute.”

Mina slowly takes the paper from Jeongyeon hands and reads Chaeyoung info widening her eyes. “She’s really good at hand-to-hand combat, the best in her class.”

“I would like to see that.” Tzuyu chuckles and remembers Chaeyoung’s fire punch. “She has good strength too.”

“Then it’s practically decided isn’t it?” Jeongyeon laughs. “I had a few options too, but this girl convinced me more than the others.”

Tzuyu nods and looks at Chaeyoung’s picture one more time. “Taeyeon-unnie.”

Taeyeon turns to look at Tzuyu. “Yes?”

“Who is her guardian?” Tzuyu asks.

“Oh that’s-“

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Tzuyu sits on the bench again she told her teammates to go home first, she puts her hands on her face trying to connect the lost dots.

FLASHBACK.

“Nayeon-unnie!”

Chaeyoung giggles excitedly as she crushes Nayeon-unnie in a hug, the auburn brown-haired girl looking at Tzuyu with shocked eyes.

Nayeon manages to turn to look at Chaeyoung and smile softly. “You forgot your lunch, so I brought it.”

“Thank you!” Chaeyoung giggles and gasps turning to look at Tzuyu. “Where are our manners, Ice maiden, this is my-“

“Chaeyoung’s friend.” Nayeon answers first and Chaeyoung shots her a questioning look but decides to follow what Nayeon said. “Yeah…my friend Nayeon.”

Tzuyu feels there’s something weird but decides to shrug it off and bow politely. “Nayeon-sshi, nice to meet..you”

Nayeon forces a smile and nods looking at her phone. “Chae! Your class is about to start!”

Chaeyoung looks at the hour in Nayeon’s phone and gasps grabbing the scarf and her lunch from Nayeon’s hands. “Thank you so much for the autograph and I hope I can watch one of your fights closely!” Chaeyoung bows and smiles brightly before turning around and run in the university’s direction.

Once Chaeyoung is far Nayeon shots Tzuyu a side-eye look.

Tzuyu feels Nayeon’s gaze and looks at her with silent but watchful eyes.

The tension is high and almost palpable.

Even the people near them look at them worriedly, is like an encounter between two fierce animals waiting for the first move.

“I have things to ask you” Tzuyu says with a sharp tone.

Nayeon frowns. “And? Do you think I’m going to answer?”

“I could ask you or your friend.” Tzuyu says with a cold tone. “Choose.”

Tzuyu can hear an angry sigh come out from Wildfire-N’s mouth as if the villain was counting up to ten.

“Fine”

END OF THE FLASHBACK

“So that’s why she was so wary.” Tzuyu concludes and puts her hand on her face, her eyes wide and surprised, Taeyeon’s words fitting like a missing puzzle piece.

“Chaeyoung’s guardian is her oldest sister, Im Nayeon.”

Although she didn’t choose Chaeyoung for her relation with Wildfire-N but because she really has talent the way the pieces fit now makes her feel confused with so many questions.

“Oh! Ice maiden!”

Tzuyu recognizes the voice and raises her head finding the people that fill her with questions. “Chaeyoung-sshi and…Nayeon-sshi.”

Chaeyoung smiles and Nayeon looks like she wants to punch Tzuyu as her right eye twitches and shows her an irritated smile.

“You’re alone again.” Chaeyoung comments and Tzuyu thinks maybe Taeyeon hasn’t told her she is the one the team chose.

“Yeah.” Tzuyu nods with a little smile and avoids Nayeon’s burning gaze for a moment. “Are you going home?”

“We were going to eat grilled meat!” Chaeyoung announces with an energic voice and thinks for a moment as if she was gaining courage. “The place is really good, maybe you could join us..?”

“Chaeyoung!!” Nayeon hisses and slaps Chaeyoung arm.

“Ouch ouch!” Chaeyoung closes her right eye and chuckles. “You told me to be brave, now you are complaining?”

“Is not…that.” Nayeon looks aside. “But maybe she has things to do right? Right?” Nayeon says between her teeth and Tzuyu swears Nayeon is telling her to refuse or she will kill her.

Tzuyu looks at Nayeon for a moment but smirks internally showing Chaeyoung a small smile “Actually…”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chaeyoung munches the meat happily as she hums sitting beside a visibly annoyed Nayeon who looks at Tzuyu with irritated eyes.

Tzuyu eats quietly some seafood since she doesn’t like meat too much and looks at Nayeon’s eyes from time to time her serious eyes doesn’t change even if Nayeon clearly wants her to go.

“So Chaeyoung-sshi.” Tzuyu says with a gentle voice. “How old are you?”

“I’m nineteen years old.” Chaeyoung answers after she drinks her coke.

“As I thought, I’m older then.” Tzuyu says with a light chuckle. “And you? Naye-“

“Fu-“Nayeon breathes deeply and forces a smile. “Twenty-three, but don’t call me unnie, all right?”

“As if would ever call a villain ‘unnie’ “Tzuyu thinks and only nods with a disinterested look not trusting what could say to the villain.

Nayeon munches the meat and grips her chopsticks, the hero’s presence it’s bothering her too much along with burning stress, thinking that maybe the team leader already knows Chaeyoung is her sister or maybe she already told Chaeyoung about-

“Nayeon-unnie, your chopsticks.” Chaeyoung says with an alarmed whisper.

It’s then when Nayeon reacts again and notices she burned her chopsticks sighing with frustration she opens her hand feeling the ashes slithering from her hand. “I will go for another pair.”

And with that, she leaves the table with an awkward vibe.

“I apologize” Chaeyoung says with a low voice. “I don’t know what happened to her, she’s has been really stressed these days.”

“Don’t apologize Chaeyoung, everyone has bad days.” Tzuyu smiles at Chaeyoung and turns to look at where Nayeon is. “Do you mind if I talk to her?”

Chaeyoung shakes her head. “I don’t mind, but maybe she will tell you she wants to be alone.”

Tzuyu nods with a little smile and stands up approaching Nayeon, who is currently at the restaurant’s terrace her arms resting on the pole as she leans and rests her head against her hands.

“What do you want now?” Nayeon asks with an irritated tone.

Tzuyu approaches with slow steps. “I’m interested in why you hid your relationship with Chaeyoung”

“But you won’t tell me since I’m a hero, right?” Tzuyu adds and sighs thinking for a moment before speaking

“And if I ask you as Chou Tzuyu? Not as the ice maiden?”

Nayeon lifts her head with a confused frown noticing Tzuyu’s stretched hand.

“I’m Chou Tzuyu, a normal civilian, and you?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again! How have you been? I expect everyone has been doing well, as always, thank you so much for giving this story a try! 

the missing dots are starting to connect, but not all of them *winks*

I will see you later! please take care! and wear your masks pleasee

(Also, RV is going to have MV's for naughty and uncover OMGGG :'] )