The Ball

The Billionaire's Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JK Holdings’ Headquarter Office

It was a very hectic day and a piles of work are waiting to be done in no time. Kim Jong Kook sighed sharply and dunked his face on to his palm, not believing that he hasn’t done any of his work. He tried his best to concentrate but it seems like his mind and his body could not cooperate. He’s a quick-witted person and he has always reminded himself to spend his time efficiently. However, he couldn’t really concentrate as the scene last night kept on appearing on his head. It’s the girl who he has called his wife and yet the girl whose family he wanted to destroy. He supposed to hate her but he’s really confused at himself why would he did such thing to her last night.

“Get back to your sense, Kim Jong Kook. You were drunk yesterday.” He tried his best to convince himself.

He’s sure that it was because he’s half-drunk. Why would he hug her? This is not right and he ought to stop thinking too much. Sometimes world could trouble you as much as your own thoughts and this is what Jong-Kook feel right now.

Just when he’s about to take another report, the door was opened and caused a loud bang to echo through his ears. Jong-Kook rolled his eyes in annoyance upon looking who’s coming. He swore to himself that he will kill this guy if he’s not his friend.

“How many times I tell you to knock before coming in?”

Dong-Hoon chuckled teasingly at Jong-Kook and sat directly on the couch without minding Jong-Kook’s anger. Jong-Kook could see that he came with two cups of Americano.

“Ya! I wonder why you’re always free all the time. What I see that you’re just playing around and hanging out. I’m currently busy and I’m not in the condition to chat with you, Dong-Hoon ah.”

Dong-Hoon laughed again. This hyung really worked too hard. “Hyung, I will only need 10 minutes of your time. You can work and listen to me at the same time.”

Jong-Kook looked at Dong-Hoon disbelieve. Chamna! “What is it? Why does it sound to important?” Asked Jong-Kook while his eyes are glued to the screen in front of him.

“Hyung, as you own more than a quarter of Song Min Hyuk’s company. Do you know who is the other major shareholder?” Dong-Hoon asked as if he’s going to give him a very important information.

Jong-Kook scoffed. Not even once in his life that he thought he’s gonna deal with such small company. “Of course.” He replied shortly.

Dong-Hoon widened his eyes as he’s surprise. “Really? Ya! How much information you dig already from that family?”

Jong-Kook chuckled lightly. Of course he ought to smart if he wanted to win this game. “I have learnt enough about them so that I could earn their trust before I crush them into ashes.”

Dong-Hoon sighed. “But hyung. Do you really wanted to continue this game? I’m worried for you.”

Jong-Kook’s hand movement stopped for a while upon hearing what Dong-Hoon said. He moved his gaze to Dong-Hoon and looked confused. “Why would you be worry about me?”

“Hyung, the man who has the power as much as you towards Song Min Hyuk is Park Cheol Gwang. How could I not be worried? Park Cheol Gwang is just as dangerous as you. Did you remember that his daugh…”

Before Dong-Hoon continued his sentence, Jong-Kook quickly cut him right away. “Stop!” Said Jong-Kook as he knows what Dong-Hoo was about to say. Just right then, his face turned dark. His expression turned sour showing that he’s angry.

Dong-Hoon was agape and panicked a little. “I’m sorry, hyung.” He didn’t know that his hyung hasn’t get over that last year incident.

Jong-Kook left his desk and joined Dong-Hoon on the couch. It makes Dong-Hoon feel the scared for a moment. “Hyung, I apologized. I didn’t mean anything.”

Jong-Kook tried his best to engraved a little smile. “Dong-Hoon ah. I know that you have excellent detectives to help me with my plans. Thank you for worrying about me but I am completely aware about Park Cheol Gwang and how much that old man hates me. As I told you, I have planned this game for so long. When I know that Park Cheol Gwang is one of Song Min Hyuk’s allies, I feel so grateful as if the heaven gives me blessing for my revenge plan. It’s like killing two birds with one stone.”

 Dong-Hoon couldn’t be more surprised. “You mean to destroy both of them?”

Jong-Kook nodded his head as his face turned even darker. He gritted his teeth and balled his hand into a tight fist as a scene passed through his head. “Dong-Hoon, do you know why Park Cheol Gwang didn’t help Song Min Hyuk?”

Dong-Hoon shook his head. “I have never think of that. I don’t know if they are close.”

Jong-Kook smirked. “They are. As I told you, I have planned all of it so well. Park Cheol Gwang is a just another greedy man that he wanted to be a politician too. The election is just months away. I have predicted that he will use the funds and money he owns for winning the election. He couldn’t bear losing it which is why he doesn’t even look at Song Min Hyuk when his company is in a huge mess.”

Dong-Hoon gulped his saliva upon hearing another smart trick of his friend. He thought that his detectives will be beneficial in bringing information but he’s wrong. Kim Jong Kook is even smarter than he could ever imagine. “Hyung, do you ever wonder why Park Cheol Gwang seems to hate you so much from the beginning?”

Jong-Kook smiled sadly. “Because I rejected his offer since the beginning too.”

Just when Dong-Hoon was about to ask question again, a soft knock was heard and followed by the door being opened. The sound of high heels echoed through the whole room and Dong-Hoon smiled right away upon looking at who’s coming.

“What is it, Ye-Seul ah?” Asked Jongkook. Yes, it’s his beautiful secretary.

Han Ye Seul gave a polite smile to her boss’ regular guest or should I say the only one who could come and go as how he like from her boss’ office?

“Sajangnim, I brought some papers that will need your approval and I wanted to confirm to you whether you will attend the charity ball held by Kingdom Corporation? I will have to send them a notice if you’re attending.” Ye-Seul asked and placed the paper on Jong-Kook’s desk.

Dong-Hoon shook his head. How could there be such coincidence? “Hyung. No. The man behind that event is Park Cheol Gwang. He’s one of the biggest sponsor.”

“I’ll go.” Jong-Kook replied Ye-Seul without minding what did Dong-Hoon said.

“Ne, sajangnim.” Ye-Seul replied and left his office.

Dong-Hoon sighed sharply. “Hyung! This is so complicated!”

“Park Cheol Gwang will think that I’m avoiding him. Besides, I will bring my wife with me to that event.”

“You are crazy!” Dong-Hoon almost shouted when he heard the word ‘wife’. So he really considers Song Ji Hyo as his wife now? Damn it, it’s getting interesting.

Jong-Kook smiled in satisfaction upon imagining how will that old man feel if he brought his wife with him. “I can’t wait.” He replied easily.

“Hyung, I’m sorry to say this suddenly but I think you’re really aware what happened to Han-Byul.” Dong-Hoon tried as careful as he can when he mentioned ‘Han-Byul.”

Just as how Dong-Hoon has imagined. Jong-Kook’s face turned dark upon hearing that name. His breath become uneven. Although he looked mad, a painful gaze is so visible. There was never once in his life that he wants to hear that name again.

Jong-Kook nodded his head. “Yes. Park Cheol Gwang is the one behind it.”

For a second, Jong-Kook felt like his heart is going to burst out soon as it hurts. A lot of scenes kept appearing through his head like a broken CD. No matter how cruel he is, he’s still a human. Sometimes people forget that he also has feelings. He might look strong but deep inside, he’s just an ordinary guy with so many wounds. He’s not a bad person. He’s just hurt.

**

“Han Ye Seul-Ssi.”

Ji-Hyo’s lips curled up upon looking at the lady in front of her house.

Han Ye Seul smiled politely at her madam as well. “Annyeonghaseyo, samonim.” She greeted.

Ji-Hyo let out a sad smirk every time she heard people in the house call her samonim. She’s never a wife to Kim Jong Kook. “Come in.” Said Ji-Hyo.

Ye-Seul and Ji-Hyo walked towards the living room and Ji-Hyo invites her to take a seat. “I’ll ask ahjumma to make drinks for you.”

Ye-Seul quickly stopped Ji-Hyo. “You don’t need to. I won’t be long.”

Ji-Hyo looked dumbfounded. Why is she here then? Jong-Kook is not home because in fact that guy does not come home for 2 days already and it drives Ji-Hyo crazy. She doesn’t care with his life but leaving his wife without any notice for 2 days is too much.

“Sajangnim is the one who send me here.” Said Ye-Seul.

Ji-Hyo rolled her eyes in annoyance. Upset? Of course she is. “What’s the matter?”

Ye-Seul opened her bag and took out a card. The word ‘Invitation’ was engraved beautifully on the card. “Sajangnim wanted you to attend this ball with him.”

Ji-Hyo exhaled sharply. What kind of game is this man trying to play with her? She doesn’t get it.

“It’s a formal event and I hope you won’t mind because sajangnim’s mood has been so bad lately.”

“What?!”

“Our department store is currently trying to tie cooperation with a Japanese jewelry brand. The project is somehow a little complicated that after endless of meetings and discussion, we couldn’t come with a deal. Sajangnim has been working day and night, figuring out how to solve this problem.”

Ji-Hyo bit her lips once she heard Ye-Seul’s explanation. So this Kim Jong Kook is really busy? He’s not deceiving her? For a second, she felt a little guilty. She never knows anything about Kim Jong Kook’s business. She just knows that he’s the owner of JK Holdings and the company owns substantial holdings in businesses across number of industries. She doesn’t even pay attention on what kind of business he’s running.

“Samonim.” Called Ye-Seul when she realized that Ji-Hyo didn’t reply her but to lost in her own thoughts.

“Ye-Seul-Ssi, just call me Ji-Hyo. The word samonim feels a little uncomfortable to me.” Ji-Hyo confessed. It’s a fact because she never feels like she’s a wife to Jong-Kook so the title samonim is a little irritating for her.

Ye-Seul chuckled. “Why do you feel so? You’re my boss’ wife. I have to address you properly.”

But I’m never a wife to him. “It’s okay. Just consider me as a friend of yours.”

Ye-Seul definitely know that Ji-Hyo is a good person. As she knows the main reason why Jong-Kook married her, she does feel guilty when Ji-Hyo treated her this good. She thought that this girl will be a difficult girl and become the pain in the once she married a powerful man but she’s wrong. Song Ji Hyo is humbler than she could ever imagine.

“I get it. So, Ji-Hyo-Ssi, as sajangnim wanted you to attend that event with him, he asked me to take care of your outfit and your makeup.”

This couldn’t be true. “What?!”

Ye-Seul couldn’t help but to laugh a little. “Why do you seemed so surprised?”

Ji-Hyo shook her head. “I mean I can prepare myself. He doesn’t need to send people just to take care of my appearance.”

“Sajangnim is not a stingy person. He doesn’t mind spending money for people around him. Moreover, he told me that you have to look extra outstanding for tonight.”

“What do you mean?” Ji-Hyo asked because she looked puzzled.

“Sajangnim will pick you up at 5 PM and we have 4 hours. The stylist and make-up artist will arrive in any minute.”

Ji-Hyo couldn’t be more surprised. This is too much. Just how important is that event for Kim Jong Kook until he has to hire a stylist and make-up artist? This in insane. She sighed in annoyance when the bell rang. Ji-Hyo dragged herself to the entrance and she could see two women with a lot of boxes and dresses. Is she going to be dressed up or is she going to have a makeover? This is definitely too much.

Ji-Hyo couldn’t really complain but to just let the stylist and make-up artist to do their job. Kim Jong Kook must have paid a large amount of money for these people that it might be such a waste if she rejects to be dressed up. She just sat in her huge dressing room and distract herself with her phone. She was too busy with her phone indeed that she didn’t even realize that it’s 4.30 already.

“Samonim, it’s done. You can take a look and let us know if there’s anything you don’t like.” The make-up artist said.

She lifted up her head and looked at the mirror. Wait? Is it really her? The boyish girl who always fight since her high school days, is it really her? The air-brush make-up made her face looked more flawless than ever. Her skin glows more than she ever noticed. She should have taken care more on her looks. She’s indeed very satisfied with her looks and now she’s going to change with her dress. She doesn’t get it why the stylist chose this kind of dress. It’s a black colored long halter neck dress. Although it didn’t reveal her chest due to the halter neck but it’s backless. She has never wear something like this in her life. Not even on her wedding day.

“I told you, you look perfect on this dress.” The stylist looked so mesmerized when Ji-Hyo finished changing into her evening dress.

The tight dress hugged her petite body perfect and emphasized her curve perfectly. Although she looked beautiful but somehow, she’s so uncomfortable. “Isn’t it too revealing? Should I wear an outer?” She asked.

The stylist quickly shook her head. “No, no. This dress does not work like that. But I think something is missing.” She mumbled and looked around her closet.

The stylist looked at her jewelry area and took a pair of diamond earrings with blue sapphire in the middle. “Since you have fair skin, this will make you look more outstanding.” She added and helped Ji-Hyo to put on that earrings.

“You’re all ready to go, samonim. You looked so amazing and I’m sure that Kim Sajangnim will go crazy for you tonight.” Said the make-up artist.

“Thank you for your hard-work.” Ji-Hyo replied. Kim Jong Kook will go crazy over her? Of course he will not. How could he go crazy over her?

As the clock 5PM, she heard a light knock from the door. The opened it and found out that the person she saw is her ahjumma.

“Ahjumma, what happened?” She asked.

The maid smiled at her and looked at her from top to toe. “Samonim, you looked extra beautiful today. Doryeonim will be so stunned when he sees you.”

Ji-Hyo chuckled sadly. “He won’t. Trust me.”

The maid is still smiling at her although she doesn’t like it why her madam always has a low confidence towards herself. “Doryeonim has arrived. She’s waiting downstairs.”

“Really?”

It’s just 5PM. Now she gets it that Kim Jong Kook is a very punctual p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter