The Joy

The Billionaire's Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You will fall again

Starting over isn’t an incurable disease,

it is the first day of school,

the first step of a toddler,

the first time riding a bike.

 

You will find chemistry somewhere in the crowd of humans here.

You will fall again, but when it happens,

Don’t let fear of falling keep you from walking.

You will scrape your knees, taste some pain,

and become unchained and wander off your path onto the wrong road.

Know you can always get back up and keep pedaling until you arrive.

 

From the book HER by Pierre Jeanty

 

**

6 years later

The smell of freshly baked panini could be smell through the whole kitchen until the dining room. A light smile couldn’t leave Ji-Hyo’s lips as she finds it very satisfying upon smelling the savory panini she is making. She was busy pouring the freshly-pressed orange juice into the jug and at the same time, the cheer from a little boy echoed through her ear.

“Eomma.”

The voice which could sooths and warms her heart. It’s no other than six years old son, Kim Joon Seo. Ji-Hyo squatted down as she scooped her son into her arms while kissing both of his cheeks.

“Good morning, eomma. Did you sleep well?” Joon-Seo asked.

Ji-Hyo nodded. “Of course. What about you? Did little Joon-Seo sleep well too?”

The little boy pouted a little. “Eomma, Joon-Seo is not little anymore.” He replied, sounded a little like a protest.

It’s quite amusing for Ji-Hyo as she laughed a little. “Arasso. You are a big boy now.”

That made Joon-Seo to curl up his lips into a smile. “Eomma, what are you making?” He asked curiously.

“Panini. I have got yours with Tuna and melting cheese in it.”

The little boy squealed in excitement. “I want it, eomma.”

“It’s still on the grill. Can Joon-Seo do eomma a favor?” Asked Ji-Hyo.

Joon-Seo nodded confidently. “Of course. What is it eomma?”

“Can you wake appa up?”

Joon-Seo’s smile faded a little and he held his head low.

Ji-Hyo realized her son’s behavior and she could see fear from his eyes.

“Why? Are you still mad at appa?” She asked gently.

The little boy was stunned, not knowing how to reply his mother but he managed to shook his head a little.

Ji-Hyo uttered a genuine smile as she cupped Joon-Seo’s cheeks. “Joon-Seo ya, listen to eomma. Every parents in the world love their children. No matter how far your appa go, he has always been thinking of you that he called eomma every time just to check on you. Do you know why?”

 Joon-Seo stayed silent but he dared himself to look at his mother. He could see a genuine smile which sooths his heart.

“Because appa is only capable of loving you.” Ji-Hyo added.

“Jinjja?” Asked Joon-Seo.

Ji-Hyo nodded spontaneously. “Now, can you wake appa up? The panini is almost done.”

“Arasso. I will be right back.” Said Joon-Seo as he vanished from her eye sight, going upstairs to wake his father up.

Ji-Hyo shook her head in amusement as she remembered the little incident they had yesterday.

**

Yesterday, Yeong San International Elementary School

Ji-Hyo rushed to the garage straight away when she received a phone call. She gets into her car immediately but Yang Se Chan was quick enough to stop her.

“Samonim, where are you going? I thought Joon-Seo’s sport event will only start at 1PM.” Se-Chan asked confusedly.

Ji-Hyo sighed softly as she looked at the clock. It’s just 11.30. “Something happened. Can you just go fetch my husband instead? Bring him to the school straight from the airport.”

Se-Chan is still confused but judging from Ji-Hyo’s expression, he could sense that it must be something serious. “I can drive you to the school firstly.” He insisted.

“It will take too long. I can drive on my own. Jong-Kook oppa’s flight will touch down in less than an hour. I’m looking forward for your help, Se-Chan ah.” She replied and without waiting for his reply, Ji-Hyo has get into her car and drives away.

It took about 25 minutes for Ji-Hyo to reach Joon-Seo’s school due to the crowded traffic. She took her bag and rushed into the school quickly and her eyes are wandering around to find where is the principal’s office.

Ji-Hyo knocked the door lightly before entering the principal’s office. Her heart melts once she sees her boy sitting on the couch alone while there is also another boy in front of him. The difference is that the other boy has both his mother and father beside him.

“Joon-Seo’s eomma. Please take a seat.” Principal Han greeted with a smile.

Ji-Hyo bowed lightly and took a seat beside Joon-Seo. She sighed lightly when she witnessed that the boy in front of him had his nose stuffed with a tissue and both of his parents’ expression is indeed unhappy. She glanced at Joon-Seo and this boy doesn’t look like he is giving a damn either. He looked rather calm as if he didn’t do anything wrong.

“So, today,” Principal Han tried to explain the situation but the boy’s parents seemed to be too clouded with anger that they cut Principal Han instead.

“Cut the crap. I need you to take responsibility for what your son did.” Said the mother of the boy.

“May I ask what is happening?” Asked Ji-Hyo politely.

The woman in front of her roller her eyes annoyed. “Ya! Your son punched my son and he is bleeding. I swear I will not let you and your son go if anything happens to my Chan-Seong.” She raised her voice angrily at Ji-Hyo.

Ji-Hyo took another glance again at Joon-Seo and still, he doesn’t look like he is sorry. He is rather cold and expressionless. Like father like son, she thought.

“Please calm down, Chan-Seong eomma.” Said Principal Han as she tried to explain the situation again.

“How can we keep calm? Can you keep calm too if someone hit your son till he is bleeding?” Now that it’s the father that shouted. “If anything serious happen my son, I will definitely use all my fortune to sue you and your son!” He added, looking at both Ji-Hyo and Joon-Seo furiously.

Joon-Seo smirked and his face is showing so much annoyance. “Eomma, believe me. I didn’t do anything wrong.” He said firmly while looking at the boy in front of him with his cold eyes.

The boy’s mother scoffed loudly. “Ya! How dare you say that you have done nothing wrong? Look at Chan-Seong. He is bleeding while you are perfectly fine!” She shouted furiously again.

“Chan-Seong eomma, please calm down. Things will not be solved if you keep on shouting this way.” Principal Han said, trying to calm her down. “Joon-Seo eomma, you can see that Joon-Seo and Chan-Seong were fighting and Joon-Seo punched him until he is bleeding. Joon-Seo ya, can you apologize to Chan-Seong?” Asked Principal Han carefully.

Joon-Seo shook his head stubbornly. “I have done nothing wrong.”

Ji-Hyo heaved a soft sigh upon looking at her son’s stubbornness. There are so much traits that he could inherit from his parents but why he has to inherit both of his parents’ stubbornness? This is driving her crazy. Now that she knew how did her mother feel when she created fuss and problems during her school days.

“I apologize behalf on my son. Chan-Seong ah, Mianhae. Can you forgive Joon-Seo? Imo believes that he didn’t mean it.” Said Ji-Hyo with a smile.

“Eomma!” Joon-Seo looked at his mother disbelieve. Why did he need to apologize when he did nothing wrong?

The mother of the boy rolled her eyes one more time as she crossed her arms on her chest. “I can see the way you educate your son. No wonder he is very rude. Is his father acts this way too?” She asked with her eyes glared at Ji-Hyo. “Or is he not coming? I heard that his father is very reluctant towards his son. Is it true?” She asked bluntly.

That makes the flames inside Ji-Hyo’s head to ignite. “Chan-Seong eomma, listen to me carefully. No matter how bad Joon-Seo hurt your son, you do not have any right to judge him that way. Your son’s wound might heal with medication but did you realize that you have hurt my son verbally? How do you think you can find any medication to heal my son’s wound?” She replied with a sharp glare as well. She has been very patient dealing and apologizing but it seems like these people are driving her crazy.

Both of the boy’s parents looked rather annoyed upon hearing what Ji-Hyo said while Principal’s Han’s face turned green.

“Ya!” The woman stood up already but Principal Han is quick enough to stop her.

“Chan-Seong eomma. Please.” Principal Han pleaded. Her heart feels extremely uneasy while she looked at Ji-Hyo’s angry expression.

Now that the boy’s father looked at Principal Han with confused look. “Seonsaengnim, it’s my son that’s hurt. Can you differentiate which one is right and which one is wrong?”

Principal Han took a very deep breath to calm herself down. She has also realized that the conversation is getting pointless.

However, the sound of the door opened startled the whole people in the room. In the next second, the attention is all to the person who just entered.

“You have come, Kim Daepyonim.” Principal Han greeted while she bowed to the person she called director.

The boy’s parents couldn’t be more puzzled. Who is this Kim Daepyonim?

“Who are you?” The boy’s father asked.

Kim Jong Kook looked at him sharply as he took a seat beside Joon-Seo. “I’m his father.” He replied coldly and glanced at Joon-Seo who is not looking at him. “What did my son do until we have to gather this way?” Asked Jong-Kook calmly.

While the boy’s parents are still startled with Jong-Kook’s sudden presence, it’s principal Han who answered his question.

“They were fighting, Daepyonim. Joon-Seo punched Chan-Seong until he is bleeding.”

Jong-Kook nodded his head lightly as if he understood the whole story. He looked at the boy in front of him. He might be bleeding but he looked rather fine according to Jong-Kook’s point of view.

“How much do you need?” Jong-Kook asked arrogantly.

Everyone in the room were startled with his question including Ji-Hyo.

“Why can’t you answer me? I asked how much do you need.” Jong-Kook asked one more time.

The boy’s parents started to feel uneasy and annoyed at the same time. Why? Because first, Principal Han addressed him as Daepyonim meaning that he is the director of the school and owns portion of the school’s shares. Second, he looked very familiar as if they ever seen him somewhere and not to mention, from top to toe, everything he wears are extremely expensive signing that he is rich and might be possibly powerful. Third, his expression looked dark, cold and scary.

“Ya, Kim-Ssi. Do you think money can solve everything?”

Jong-Kook smirked. “I heard you wanted to sue us.”

“Of course. We will do an X-Ray and we will not let go of you if something really happened.”

Principal Han started to massage her head while listening to these people. They are really messing with the wrong person, she thought.

“Then you can try. I will wait for it but I can make sure that I have an army of lawyer behind my back.” Jong-Kook replied sharply and he stood up right away.

When he looked at his wife and son beside him, his gaze softened. “Yeobo, Joon-Seo ya, let’s go.” He said while holding onto Joon-Seo’s little arm.

Ji-Hyo bowed lightly to everyone before leaving the room. She followed Jong-Kook out along with Joon-Seo.

“Principal Han, why can’t you do anything? You should have disciplined that troublesome kid.” The boy’s mother raised her voice again.

Principal Han inhaled a very deep breath before giving a smile to the parents in front of her. “Eomeoni, you didn’t even give me a chance to explain everything. It was Chan-Seong that started it.” She started to lose her temper too.

“What do you mean? Chan-Seong ah, is she right?”

The boy remained silent and held his head low.

“Eomeoni, abeonim, I hope both of you could remain calm firstly. I’m sure that Chan-Seong will be fine. Please forget the thoughts of suing that family.” Said Principal Han but it sounded more like an alert.

“What do you mean? Why can’t we sue them?!”

“Abeonim, do you know JK Holdings?”

The father nodded his head. “The corporation that owns and operates the largest shopping malls all over South Korea. Who doesn’t know it?”

Principal Han smiled in satisfaction upon his knowledge. “And the person that you met just now is the CEO of the company and the one you shouted at just now is his wife and son.”

“What??! He is Kim Jong Kook?” Both parents looked at each other disbelieve. Their eyes and lips are opened wide, indicating that they are very shocked upon hearing what Principal Han said.

“Then, do you think you still want to sue them?” Asked Principal Han.

“Yeobo, let’s go home.” Said the father and he glared at his son. “You, let’s go back.” He said and going out from the office without minding Principle Han because no way in hell he wanted to get into a scandal with a powerful person or else he will end up as a dead meat.

While on the other side, Jong-Kook is still holding onto Joon-Seo’s hand before the little boy yanked his hand away forcefully, making him to look confused. Joon-Seo held Ji-Hyo’s hand instead.

“Eomma, can we go home?” He asked.

Ji-Hyo was puzzled. “Why? I thought you wanted to participate in the sport event so much. You have always love football, don’t you?”

Joon-Seo shook his head instead. “I don’t want it anymore. Let’s just go home, eomma.” He pleaded.

Ji-Hyo looked at Jong-Kook as if she asked for help and luckily, Jong-Kook is quick-witted enough. Jong-Kook squatted in order to match his height to Joon-Seo’s as he looked in his eyes. He could see disappointment in it.

“A-deul ah, what happened? Don’t let the incident earlier to affect you. You promised appa that you will do a very good job on the match today, right?” Asked Jong-Kook carefully.

Joon-Seo held his head low, not wanting to look at his father. He started to bit his trembling lips.

“It was appa that didn’t keep the promise.” He replied and he tried hard not to sob.

Jong-Kook looked at his son and he cleared his tears away with his thumb. “Appa is very sorry, eo? What matters now is that appa is here. Appa is here to support you.” He smiled.

“If I didn’t fight with Jin Chan Seong, will appa still come this early? Appa promised that appa will drive me to school today and appa will come to the sport event together with eomma but appa lied. It was Se-Chan samchon who drove me this morning. Eomma came alone just now and that ahjussi and ahjumma were shouting at eomma. Appa should be there when they did that to eomma.” Said Joon-Seo and he started to cry his lungs out.

Ji-Hyo sighed softly as she patted her son’s back. “Joon-Seo ya, you shouldn’t blame appa. Appa has work to do remember?” She coaxed.

There was a brief of silence before Joon-Seo talked again.

“Then, can appa don’t work too hard?” Joon-Seo asked.

His wet face melted Jong-Kook’s heart. How can he stand it if his son pleads this way?

“Joon-Seo ya, how can you ask that? Appa is working for us.” Said Ji-Hyo, trying to make him understand.

Joon-Seo wiped his tears away as he looked at both his mother and father. “Jin Chan Seong was the one who tried to pick a fight. He said that I looked very pathetic. Appa has never send me to school and appa has never attend any of the school event. It was always eomma who came instead. I told him that I know my appa and my appa loves me more than anything but he insisted that I am wrong that I hit him rig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter