Lies

The Billionaire's Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The ride from Jong-Kook’s house to Ji-Hyo’s parents house feels like forever that she is very worried with everything. It drives her crazy that she clearly doesn’t have any idea about what is happening. She couldn’t even sit peacefully in that passenger seat that she is biting her nails for being too nervous. Jong-Kook is very aware of every inch of her gestures but yet doesn’t know what to say. It feels like there is a big lump stuck in his throat that prohibits him from talking.

“Oppa, why are you so silent? I asked you tons of questions but why you didn’t answer me anything?” Asked Ji-Hyo. She sounded stressful that she really needs the support of her husband to keep her calm now.

Jong-Kook was a little agape. How could he told her that it’s not that he does not want to reply her but he is actually thinking about how to tell her every single truth that seems very hard to come out from his lips.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t sleep well last night.” He lied.

She sighed sharply, doesn’t want to reply anything more to him. Her head has been so clouded with so much scenario about what is actually happening to her father and her brother. What annoys her even more is that Jong-Kook doesn’t seem to give a damn about it because who will suspect if the mastermind behind it is actually the man who is driving beside her?

“Oppa, I will get going. Make sure to have your meal on time and don’t overwork yourself, okay?” Said Ji-Hyo once Jong-Kook’s car arrived in front of her house.

Jong-Kook forced a smile. The way she even cared for him in this kind of situation startled him a bit. Just how kind is this woman is? What does her heart made of? And what kind of good deeds he has made in his past life that heaven gave him such a good wife to him? While all he does is just hurting her all over again and again.

“I get it. Please say my regards to eomeonim.” He replied shortly.

“I’ll go first. I love you, oppa.” She replied and gave him a light smile before going out from his car.

I love you, oppa

That beautiful words.

Why it sounded so scary for him? Every single words that came out from her lips sounded very scary for him. He won’t deny the fact that he actually likes it when she told him her feelings but not today. She is not the type of person who say that three words frequently and it makes him feel very uneasy when she said it today. The feeling of guiltiness has been lingering through his heart up until now that he feels very helpless. He will not deny the fact that he is literally a jerk.

On the other side, Ji-Hyo ran towards the door and punched the passcode immediately. She took off her shoes impatiently and search for her mother straight away.

“Eomma.” She called and started to feel anxious when she couldn’t see her mother in the kitchen.

However, she sighed in relieve when she finally sees her mother coming out from her bedroom. She reached her mother’s hand and dragged her all the way to the couch.

“Eomma, oppa said that police are surrounding their office. What happened?” She asked worriedly.

Kim Mi Kyung’s expression looked rather sluggish. “They are suspecting your father.”

Ji-Hyo’s eyes widened unbelieve. “Appa? What did appa do wrong? Did appa commit crime or something?”

“Seung-Heon hasn’t call yet but let’s just pray for the best. Your appa is not a bad person that eomma is sure everything will be alright.” Kim Mi Kyung replied.

It feels very weird for Ji-Hyo that she couldn’t even think straight now. She knew it very well that her father is an honest person that it’s impossible that her father committed a crime. The police must be making a mistake, she thought.

“Eomma, does appa has enemy or people that hates him?” Ji-Hyo asked again because being the wife of a wealthy businessman makes her realize that enemies and competitors are all around that they can attack you anytime if you are not careful.

Kim Mi Kyung looked at how her daughter become very serious and she chuckled a little. “Eomma believes that your appa has never done business in a dirty way. Everything will be okay, Ji-Hyo ya. You have to trust eomma.”

“That’s not what I mean, eomma.”

“Then, what do you mean?”

“Did appa ever do something that makes someone to have resentment towards him?”

Kim Mi Kyung seemed to be thinking for a while but yet she couldn’t remember any. She acknowledged her husband as a good person that she doesn’t even know if he has done something very bad for people to hold grudges towards him.

“I don’t remember any but world could be cruel sometimes.”

It makes Ji-Hyo looked at her mother’s eyes right after that. “What do you mean, eomma?” She asked curiously.

“Because we couldn’t simply trust what we see. Even salt looks like sugar. We can never know if a friend could as well be our enemy.” Kim Mi Kyung replied.

Ji-Hyo nodded as if she understood. Her mother is not wrong either for saying that salt looks like sugar because who knows that the person who hold grudges towards her husband is his own son-in-law.

**

JK Holdings’ Headquarter Office

Kim Jong Kook slammed his phone on his desk when the person he calls is not answering. He sighed in anger as it is his 5th time for calling Yoo Jae Seok and it seriously drives him crazy. He even gritted his teeth in anger when again Yoo Jae Seok is not answering his call. He leaned his back towards the chair and rested his head. He couldn’t concentrate on any of his work and everything that filled his head is Song Ji Hyo.

When he is still closing his eyes, trying his best to calm himself, the sound of incoming call from his phone made him get up immediately. His eyes brightened when he sees the caller. It’s Yoo Jae Seok.

“Hyung! Why it took so long for you to answer?” He said annoyingly once he picked up the phone.

“Ya! I’m very busy handling your father-in-law’s case that I’m in the prosecutor office. What’s the matter?”

Jong-Kook sighed. “Hyung, why didn’t you tell me that the day will be today?” He asked weakly.

“Does that really matter? Whatever it is, I’m hanging up now. They will start interrogating soon.”

“Hyung! Hyung!”

Jong-Kook exhaled sharply when Jae-Seok is hanging up his phone without wanting to hear any of his whines. It is seriously stressing him out. A year ago, he has been waiting for this day to come when he thought he will be able to bring justice to his parents but why it seems like everything does not goes as smooth as his plans? He supposed to be watching the whole arrestment as if he’s watching a movie in satisfaction but he is wrong. He is not even glad when his plans succeeded and it makes him extra guilty when he saw how worried Ji-Hyo was.

For the whole day, Jong-Kook has been wandering around his office with his phone on his grip, hoping to hear from Yoo Jae Seok about the progress but he’s wrong. There is not even a message arrived that it is seriously driving him crazy. He tried his best to focus on his work but the horror thought of his wife leaving haunts him every second makes him extra frustrated now.

When his phone rang again, he quickly reaches it and his hand trembled when he sees the caller. It is Ji-Hyo. Damn, he is very nervous by just feeling the vibration of the phone. The atmosphere felt so suffocated for a while and his chest becomes stuffy for a moment.

Did she know already what is happening?

Did she know that he is the man behind her father’s arrestment?

Did she know that he has a hidden motive for marrying her?

A lot of thoughts are going through his head that it took quite some time for him to answer Ji-Hyo’s calls. With his trembling hand, he dared himself to press the green button.

“Yeo..Yeo..Yeoboseyo.” He stuttered.

“Oppa, are you busy?”

“Yes..emm..No really. What’s the matter, Ji-Hyo ya?”

“You sounded weird. Are you okay?”

Damn it, he thought. “I’m all okay. What happened? Have you heard from Seung-Heon already?” He dared himself to ask.

“Oppa hasn’t call yet. I just wanted to tell you that I will stay with eomma until Seung-Heon oppa is back that you don’t have to wait for me. I will ask Se-Chan to pick me up later.”

“Oh. I see. I get it.”

“Make sure to not skip your dinner, okay? Take care, oppa.”

“Ah, ne. Take care too, Ji-Hyo ya.”

Just like that, the line disconnected. It feels like his heart is going to burst out soon as it pounded rapidly. Nothing really came out from his lips except for a frustrated sigh and feeling guiltier than ever.

**

When you are guilty, it’s not the sin that you hate but yourself. You hate to admit the fact that you hurt people you love. It’s even more excruciating to admit that you are going to hurt a person who knows nothing but to love you whole-heartedly. Being guilty feels like a punishment because it won’t let you be in peace and this is exactly how Kim Jong Kook is feeling now.

He once thought that if he succeeded in capturing these two people, he will get the feeling of satisfaction as if he won a grand prize but he’s wrong. He is totally wrong. He got nothing except for the torture each time he looked at his own wife. Their marriage started as a mistake but it was a beautiful mistake that he wouldn’t deny the fact that he sincerely loves the woman that he has called wife. Now that he knows what does an eye for an eye will only make the world blind really means.

“Thinking much?”

Jong-Kook lifted up his head to see the source of the voice and found out the figure of a woman is standing and leaning against the doorway. He doesn’t even have any intention to talk to her because there are a lot of thoughts inside his head already.

“Is there something you need?” Jong-Kook asked.

 Park Han Byul chuckled a little and walked towards Jong-Kook’s desk. She has observed him and knew that he likes to spend so much time in his study room. Today, she could see that Ji-Hyo is not home yet and decided to approach Jong-Kook because she knew that his wife will not arrive anytime soon.

“You look frustrated.” Said Han-Byul.

Jong-Kook looked at Han-Byul as he tried to study her facial expression, trying to figure out what she is trying to say. He literally is not in the mood to have a talk with her. However, he widened his eyes in surprised when he could feel her hands are circling through his neck from behind.

“Or should I say the feeling of being guilty?” She whispered on his ears.

Damn, it successfully made him shiver and it goes down through his spine. He quickly eased her hand away from his body and stood up while his eyes are pierced into hers, looking at her with a sharp gaze.

“What do you mean?” Jong-Kook asked.

Han-Byul couldn’t help but to let out a sarcastic chuckle upon looking at Jong-Kook’s serious expression. It feels so amusing for her.

“Gosh, you need to calm down. Your wife will come home anytime soon.”

“Don’t play dumb with me, Park Han Byul.” He said through his gritted teeth.

Han-Byul dared herself to take a step forward while she caressed Jong-Kook’s bulging cheeks and sharp jaw.

“Your jaw is already sharp enough. Don’t give more pressure to it.”

Jong-Kook smirked at her and pushed her away because he is seriously not interested for having a conversation with her that he chose to just walk towards the door, leaving Han-Byul behind.

“I saw the news.” Said Han-Byul but Jong-Kook kept walking forward as if he didn’t hear anything.

“I saw your father-in-law too.” She added.

Damn it, he thought. Han-Byul’s lips curled when she saw Jong-Kook’s footstep stopped. She chose this chance to provoke him again.

“And I wouldn’t be surprise if you are the one behind all of this.” Said Han-Byul again.

Jong-Kook turned around and glared sharply at Han-Byul. It feels so unbelievable for him if she really knows the truth because he has tried his best to keep this secret.

“What are you talking about?” Jong-Kook asked.

She chuckled loudly. “You are playing dumb. You do really understand what I’m talking about.”

Jong-Kook looked away and tried to calm himself. “What do you know?” He asked again.

“Everything.” She smirked.

He scoffed. “You expect me to believe you? Nonsense!”

"Keep your friends close but your enemy closer. You are indeed very smart and I bet you know what I mean." Said Han-Byul and her words earned a disbelieve look from Jong-Kook and it feels so satisfying for her. 

However, Jong-Kook was a surprised. Does she really know everything?

Han-Byul titled her head and gave Jong-Kook her mischievous smile. “Both my father and your wife’s father are put behind the bars by you. I wouldn’t deny the fact that my father is actually a bastard but don’t you think your wife’s father is innocent?” She asked again because there is nothing coming out from Jong-Kook's lips. He just stayed silent.

Jong-Kook sighed. Is he really catching the wrong person?

“I might not know what is your real intention for doing all of this but it is quite amusing that your marriage is just a play.” Han-Byul added.

“Shut up!” Jong-Kook raised his voice and his eyes are bloodshot red when he heard her saying things about his marriage. “I said my vow in front of God and how dare you tell me that my marriage is a play? Are you playing with fire now?” He added and his hands are balled into a tight fist, holding it from doing anything stupid. If she is a man, she will end up black-and-blue by any seconds.

Han-Byul laughed loudly. “You are the one who is playing with fire, aren’t you? Marrying an innocent girl just for the sake of destroying her father. Don’t you think you are way too cruel?”

Jong-Kook couldn’t bear more of her words and his hand strangles her neck right away because he is angry. Not only that he is angry at Han-Byul but also at himself for letting all of this happened. His eyes are as sharp as knives and it feels like it’s going to kill anyone alive.

“If you are wondering how could I know, it’s simple. It’s because I’m not your as dumb as your wife.” She added.

“Don’t you dare to say anything about my wife!” He shouted. It’s not that his wife is dumb but it’s because she freaking trusted him.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter