The Return

The Billionaire's Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Saengil chugha habnida, saengil chugha habnida, saranghaneun Jong-Kookie oppa, saengil chugha habnida.”

A wide smile couldn’t have left Kim Jong Kook’s lips ever since this morning. It’s his birthday and it might be one of the day he hates the most but he could see that his wife has been so busy preparing everything, starting from the food, cakes and a small party. He doesn’t want to make her down that he chose to just do as how she wanted it to be. He blew the candle and everyone clapped their hands cheerfully.

“Jja, seaweed soup for the birthday boy.” Said Ji-Hyo as she handed him a bowl of it. It’s just a tradition that she learnt from her mother that she always had seaweed soup during birthdays.

“Thank you.” He smiled.

Jong-Kook looked around and for some reason he could feel the warmness that’s shared between all of them and thanks to Ji-Hyo that she’s the mastermind behind all of it. He has told her enough that there’s no need to throw a party but she insisted that it’s just between close friends. As much as he hates celebrating his birthday, he just let her invite 4 people which only includes Dong-Hoon, Ye-Seul, Kwang-Soo and So-Min. She used it as chance for him to get knowing her friends too.

“Happy birthday, sajangnim. I’m very grateful that you finally want to celebrate your birthday.” Said Ye-Seul as this is the third year of her working for him and the first time ever he wanted to celebrate his birthday.

Jong-Kook chuckle a little. Ever since the accident 20 years ago, he never really wanted to celebrate his birthday ever and his birthday becomes the day he dislikes the most. “Thank you. I’ll open the wine.” Jong-Kook replied as he reached the cork to unseal the bottle. As a host, he started to pour the wine for all of them.

Dong-Hoon lifted the glass high. “Everyone, cheers to Jong-Kook hyung’s 32nd year of living.” He said and they did a toast.

Jong-Kook rolled his eyes a little. “Ya, don’t highlight my age. It’s embarrassing.”

Kwang-Soo looked at Jong-Kook sharply as he gulped the wine. He initially doesn’t get it why Ji-Hyo invited him and So-Min but after a little chat along with Dong-Hoon, he could actually see that Jong-Kook is not as bad as he thought. “It’s not embarrassing. You are just old.” Said Kwang-Soo and everyone laughed just then.

Jong-Kook glared back at him. “Do you wish to die?”

Kwang-Soo scoffed. “Ya, didn’t you remember who were the one who helped both of you two to chill out?”

So-Min giggled just then. “I took part too.” She added.

Ji-Hyo bit her lips upon hearing Kwang-Soo. She felt like she really wanted to pull his hair straight away. “Ya, Lee Kwang Soo. It was like months ago and why are you bringing it up now?” She tried to sound normal.

Kwang-Soo shrugged his shoulder. “Noona, I have known you for so long and this is the first time ever that you are looking so calm and graceful.”

That made Ji-Hyo to throw a glare to Kwang-Soo. “What do you mean? I’m always like this.” She defended.

So-Min laughed just then. Is Song Ji Hyo tried to play dumb with them? “Eonni, did you remember that a drunk man was hospitalized right after you hit him?”

Ji-Hyo sighed sharply as she rolled her eyes. Are both of them really wanted to bring up all of embarrassing story about her in front of everyone? “Ya, Jeon So Min. Shut up.” She glared.

Everyone laughed amusingly. “I do know that she’s very rebellious but I do not have any idea that someone could be hospitalized just because a kick.” Said Jong-Kook.

“That’s why you better don’t mess up with her.” Kwang-Soo added. Jong-Kook was gulping his wine and he was almost choked with Kwang-Soo’s reply.

“I do really mean it. Your wife is the most stubborn person that I have ever met.” Kwang-Soo continued as he cut his steak casually and Jong-Kook didn’t deny it. She is indeed very stubborn.

“Ji-Hyo ya, did you cook all of the dishes yourself?” Ye-Seul asked as she could see that it’s a feast.

“I did but ahjumma helped me a lot.” Ji-Hyo replied. She never really cooks or know how to cook but her husband’s birthday is an important occasion that she’s willing to do it by herself with a little help from her maid.

Dong-Hoon was a little surprise. “Woah, you did very well.” He praised and that made Ji-Hyo blushed instantly.

Kwang-Soo rolled his eyes upon looking at Ji-Hyo’s expression. “Noona, why do you suddenly being so girly?”

So-Min hit Kwang-Soo’s arms lightly. “You seriously need to shut your mouth up.” She told Kwang-Soo as she realized that he has started to become annoying.

 As they are finished with the dinner session, Ji-Hyo persuaded all of them to stay just a little longer because it’s not that late yet and all of them agreed. For a moment, Jong-Kook could feel that his home that’s supposed to be cold and quiet started to become warm and cheerful. Thanks to Song Ji Hyo for bringing all of the joy to his life.

“Let’s play some game.” Dong-Hoon suggested. They were currently gathering on the living room with some snacks that Ji-Hyo prepared earlier.

Jong-Kook looked at his best friend uninterested. “Are you like 5 or something?” He scoffed.

“Let’s play the Dangyeonhaji game.” So-Min suggested.

Ye-Seul narrowed her eyebrow. It sounded familiar. “The X-Man game?” She asked referring to the famous variety shows in the early 2000s.

So-Min nodded spontaneously. “We always play it when we drink right? The one who couldn’t manage to answer should take a shot of soju.” She looked at Kwang-Soo. “And he is the one who always lose, isn’t it eonni?” She continued.

Ji-Hyo laughed right away. “Yes. He’s the ultimate loser when it comes to this game.”

Jong-Kook glanced at Kwang-Soo and chuckled a little. “Seems interesting, you guys go first because I will need to see how you do it.” He replied because he spent his life in a foreign country that he might not have the knowledge about the game or the show.

The game just started like that. Starting from Ye-Seul and So-Min to Dong-Hoon and Jong-Kook and Ji-Hyo to Kwang-Soo. It was funny and intense at the same time that they kept on attacking each other before finally it’s the final match. The final match is between Jong-Kook and Kwang-Soo. They have finished almost 4 bottles of Soju for this ridiculous game but they all seems to stay sober that they kept on laughing their off due to this game.

“You start or I start?” Jong-Kook asked fiercely.

Kwang-Soo replied with a smirk. “Let’s do a paper-rock-scissor.” He suggested.

“Let’s do it.”

“I’m going to throw a paper.” Kwang-Soo convinced.

Jong-Kook narrowed his eyes. “Are you sure?”

Kwang-Soo nodded. “Yes. I’ll let you win.”

“Can I trust you?”

“Of course. Why would I lie?”

“Okay. I’m going to throw a scissor.”

Just right then, Jong-Kook kicked Kwang-Soo’s leg hardly when he threw a rock instead of a paper. “Traitor.” He shouted annoyingly.  

Kwang-Soo smiled in satisfaction and he took a glance at Jong-Kook. “That’s why people say that trust is a double edged sword. People who you trust may either kill you or protect you.” He replied and smirked.

Damn it. His words were innuendos for Jong-Kook. He took a quick glance at Ji-Hyo, his wife who has learnt to trust him with all of her heart. Just how is she going to react once she found out about his initial plan? Moreover, Dong-Hoon and Ye-Seul do know about it as well. Just how betrayed will she feel?

“Ya, stop drooling.” Kwang-Soo snapped when Jong-Kook stayed silent for a while.

That sharp words woke Jong-Kook up and looked at Kwang-Soo unhappy. “Fine. You start first.” He challenged and the match begin.

“Ji-Hyo noona is good in bed.” Kwang-Soo started and he directly received a beating from Ji-Hyo.

“Ya! Why does it have to do with me?” Ji-Hyo protested and she’s literally blushing now.

“Dangyeonhaji.” Jong-Kook replied confidently and everyone laughed out loud while Ji-Hyo’s cheeks are as red as tomato now.

“Lee Kwang Soo, I notify you that you will be dead in my hand.” Said Ji-Hyo through her gritted teeth but Kwang-Soo can care less as he’s still very immersed in the play with Jong-Kook.

Now, it’s Jong-Kook’s time to attack. “Starting from now, you call me hyung.” Said Jong-Kook and he smirked at Kwang-Soo.

Kwang-Soo sighed sharply. What a good trick. “Dangyeonhaji.” He replied half-heartedly.

It made Jong-Kook smiled in satisfaction. “You better keep your words.” Said Jong-Kook.

“Will you marry Ji-Hyo noona in your next life?” Kwang-Soo asked.

“Dangyeonhaji. It’s a statement not a question.” Jong-Kook replied confidently again and made Kwang-Soo sighed again.

Ji-Hyo couldn’t help herself from blushing upon looking at how confident Jong-Kook is. However, it’s the time for Jong-Kook to attack. “I remembered that you were drinking alone in the club. Nobody wants you right?” He mocked.

It successfully made Kwang-Soo gritted his teeth while the others started to laugh. Kwang-Soo kept silent for quite some time before finally replying Jong-Kook’s attack. “Dangyeonhaji.” He replied weakly and it brings another laughter to everyone. It can’t be like this and he ought to attack, he thought.

“You still pee on your pants, aren’t you?” Kwang-Soo attacked and smirked at Jong-Kook.

Just like that, he received another kick from Jong-Kook furiously. “Ya! You’re cheating!” He rolled his eyes in annoyance.

Kwang-Soo just let out a light smirk. “That’s how we play it.” He replied Jong-Kook easily because he won the game.

“Ya, didn’t you remember that starting from now you ought to call me hyung.” Said Jong-Kook.

Kwang-Soo inhaled some air to calm himself down. Calling Kim Jong Kook hyung? Are they even that close? It’s quite irrelevant. “Okay, Jong-Kook hyung.” He succumbed.

The night was spent like that and they are not even aware that it has passed 11 PM already. Dong-Hoon was the first to realize it when he glanced at the clock. “It’s quite late, I think we should go now.” Said Dong-Hoon.

Ye-Seul looked at Dong-Hoon and chuckled a little. “Dong-Hoon-Ssi, tomorrow is Sunday. A little late is fine.”

“I think I will go back first. I still got things to do.” Dong-Hoon replied as he stood up from the couch. “Thank you for the feast, Ji-Hyo ya.” He continued and took a glance at Jong-Kook. “Hyung, happy birthday. Saranghae.” He added again as he winked at Jong-Kook and gave him a love sign with his finger.

Jong-Kook rolled his eyes disbelieve. “Ya! Just go.”

“I get it. Good bye everyone.” Said Dong-Hoon at last before going away.

As Dong-Hoon went away, Kwang-Soo’s phone beeped and a smile was formed on his lips when he’s reading the message. “Noona, I think I got to go too.” He said again as he stood up as well.

“Ya, I’ll go with you.” Said So-Min to Kwang-Soo.

Kwang-Soo shook his head right away. “Andwae, I have an appointment to catch.” He rejected heartlessly.

So-Min couldn’t be more annoyed. “Ya! I came with you and I ought to go back with you too.” They started to argue.

“It’s very important, So-Min ah. I’m sorry.”

“You heartless jerk!” She cursed at him angrily.

Ji-Hyo noticed that it started to become a fuss that she stopped both of them. “So-Min ah, just let him, it’s not that he’s very important. Se-Chan can send you home instead, right oppa?”

Jong-Kook nodded. “Of course.”

So-Min frowned when she heard that unfamiliar name. “Se-Chan?”

Ji-Hyo chuckled a little. “Yang Se Chan. I think he might be interesting for you.” She joked.

**

“Jong-Kook ah, what is your dream?”

“Me?”

“What do you want to be when you grow up?”

“If I say I want to be a pianist, will appa be angry?”

“Of course not. Why would appa be angry?”

“Appa is a banker and I thought appa would want me to learn banking or business.”

“Appa will not prevent you from chasing your dream. What makes you happy is our happiness too, isn’t it Song-Joo ya?”

“Yes. Eomma will do the same thing too. Our son is a talent, oppa.”

“Because he is my son.”

“Ya. He is my son too.”

“Oppa, why is the pathway so dark? Did you take the wrong way?”

“I’m not sure. I’m just following the GPS. Do you think something is wrong with it?”

“Oppa, slow down the speed.”

“Oh my God, the brake is not functioning.”

“It’s so dark, I can barely see anything.”

“Oppa, there’s a light.”

“Why is it aiming at us? Damn, it’s hurting my eyes. I can’t see anything.”

“Appa! Turn!!”

“Oppa!”

“Eomma! Appa! Wake up!”

“Eomma!”

“Appa!”

“Andwae! Please wake up!”

**

Jong-Kook woke up from his sleep and he could feel beads of sweat are forming on his forehead. His breath was irregular and his heart feels so uncomfortable. It’s the nightmare again. It’s the nightmare that has been haunting him since 20 years ago. He looked around his room but he could barely see anything that it’s so dark. He really need to calm himself down as the things inside his head are just too messy. He removed the comforter away and began walking towards the glass window.

“Oppa, what are you doing?”

Jong-Kook turned around and he could see Ji-Hyo is slowly approaching him. “You shou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter