Surrender

The Billionaire's Revenge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Several months ago

JK Holdings’ Headquarter Office

Kim Jong Kook heaved a deep sigh. He took off his spectacles as he massaged the bridge of his nose gently. He looked at the piles of documents that he has to go through and he couldn’t help but to force himself to concentrate back on his work. He put on his spectacles and moved his gaze back into his notebook screen. At the same time, his phone rang.

“Oh, Ye-Seul ah.” He picked up the phone with his left hand while his right hand is busy clicking on the mouse.

“Sajangnim, we will be having the annual shareholder conference this afternoon after lunch break. I have the documents and presentation slides ready.”

Jong-Kook kept silent for a while when he heard Ye-Seul said annual shareholder conference because it usually held somewhere near the  end of the year. Oh, how time flies and it should be his wedding anniversary soon but he is still here, alone.

“Sajangnim, are you there?” Ye-Seul’s voice was heard again.

“Ah, yes. Notify me when we’re about to start.” Jong-Kook replied.

“Noted.”

After the sleepless night, skipping meals, consuming too much caffeine and alcohols, now that he is bearing the consequence. During the beginning of the conference, Jong-Kook feels like he couldn’t get his thoughts straight. His head throbs several times worse, his stomach hurts, his muscles hurt, his back hurts and he blinked his eyes repeatedly to keep him focused. This isn’t right. It feels like his body couldn’t stand it any longer.

“Sajangnim, are you okay?” Asked Ye-Seul because she noticed that his weird behavior. Not to mention that his face is as white as paper.

Jong-Kook tried his best to inhale a very deep breath to keep himself aware and he glanced at Ye-Seul, giving her a light nod without replying her.

Ye-Seul has worked for him several years and she definitely know his behavior. She knew that he is not fine and is really torturing himself. She kept on glancing at him, making sure that he will be okay throughout the conference. She thought he could at least manage to hold it until the end but she was wrong. It was only the first break and when everyone was busy chatting and discussing the projection, she noticed that Jong-Kook tried to walk out from the room but just right on the second step, he lost his balance which made him fell down, causing a fuss. People started to become panic when they see the muscled man fainted.

Ye-Seul quickly approached him and followed by several men behind her. She tried to pat his cheek slowly. “Sajangnim, can you hear me?” She asked in panic.

Jong-Kook heard her but he feels like he doesn’t have any energy left to open his eyes. His whole body hurts and nothing feels right. He could hear the sounds of people panicking, calling for his name but he couldn’t hold it anymore and everything went into pitch black.

“Kim Sajangnim fainted. Call 119!”

After the fuss, the conference was cancelled and postponed until Kim Jong Kook is fully recovered. Ye-Seul couldn’t be more worried and she took out her phone, scrolling through the contacts number, thinking who she should call. Her eyes stopped at the name Song Ji Hyo but before she could press the call button, her finger hesitated. She bit her lips while thinking before calling Ha Dong Hoon in the end.

It’s such a relieve that Dong-Hoon arrived in the emergency ward as soon as Ye-Seul arrived. Dong-Hoon looked at Ye-Seul anticipate. “What happened?” Asked Dong-Hoon worried.

Ye-Seul sighed softly as she shook her head lightly. “He passed out.”

Both are walking back and forth the waiting room worriedly, waiting for Jong-Kook who is now being checked by the doctor. Thankfully it didn’t take too long for the doctor to approach Dong-Hoon and Ye-Seul.

“How is he, seonsaengnim?” Asked Dong-Hoon.

The doctor looked at Dong-Hoon with a wistful gaze. “We still need to undergo several procedures in order to make a clear diagnose but for the mean time, we see the symptoms of fatigue as the main reason why he fainted.”

“Fatigue?” Dong-Hoon looked a little puzzled as he looked at Ye-Seul who doesn’t seem to be surprised. “Sleepless night and skipping meals again?” He asked Ye-Seul.

Ye-Seul nodded lightly. “I tried to remind him to stop torturing himself but you know how stubborn he is.”

The doctor heard their conversation and it seems like his diagnose is right. “Fatigue might be caused by several factors such as lifestyle factors, physical health factors and mental health issues. The stages might range from mild to serious. We will try out best to treat him. If fatigue does not resolve with proper rest and nutrition, we might need to consult a psychiatrist because it might be the sign of mental health issues.”

Dong-Hoon sighed and felt very helpless. “Is his condition that bad?”

The doctor uttered a light smile. “We will try our best. Firstly, I heard that he is an important person. We will transfer him to the VIP ward and we will monitor his progress.”

“Thank you, doctor.”

As soon as Jong-Kook is transferred to normal ward, Dong-Hoon looked at him with a pitiful gaze. This guy has gone through a lot in his life and he feels very bad because as a friend, it seems like nothing much he can do.

“Oppa, should we at least tell Ji-Hyo about this? I don’t think Sajangnim can stand it any longer. He is punishing and torturing himself. I don’t think his body could stand it any longer.” Said Ye-Seul worriedly.

Dong-Hoon’s gaze moved to Ye-Seul and for some reason, he feels like she is right. “You are right. I can’t let hyung to live this way any longer. I will have to try reuniting them back.”

“Can they?” Asked Ye-Seul because she knew that Ji-Hyo is just as stubborn as Jong-Kook.

Dong-Hoon nodded his head firmly. “I’ll try. Hyung is my best friend and this is the least thing I can do.”

Finding a perfect timing to see Ji-Hyo, Dong-Hoon called for Kwang-Soo if he could arrange a meeting for them. Thankfully, that tall man said yes and even asked So-Min to join too so that Ji-Hyo will not be too suspicious and it went fine. He has told Ji-Hyo everything that she needs to know.

He remembered saying this lines to Ji-Hyo along with all of the truth.

“Ji-Hyo ya, believe me. He doesn’t feel satisfied too after what he has done. After all of those hurtful loses in his life and now that he made another mistake again. He looked like a person who has lost the reason to live. Just like a soulless person.”

For Dong-Hoon, Jong-Kook is a very loyal friend. They grew up in the same orphanage and he was the one who has his back. When some guys wanted to harm him or humiliate him, Jong-Kook will be the one who chase the bad guys. He protected Dong-Hoon as if he is his biological brother. When a wealthy foreigner came to their orphanage and wanted to adopt Jong-Kook, he wouldn’t lie but he felt a little sad that his best friend is leaving. Jong-Kook refused at first but it was Dong-Hoon who encourage him to go because this chance will not come twice. Just like how he expected, once Jong-Kook came back to Seoul, Dong-Hoon is the first person he looked for. He has done not much for Jong-Kook and this is the least thing he can do.

3 months later

Dong-Hoon arrived at Jong-Kook’s office and as usual, disturbing him so that he will not overwork himself because he really doesn’t want to see him fainted again.

“Hyung, how are you?” Asked Dong-Hoon.

Jong-Kook didn’t bother to look at Dong-Hoon as his gaze is focused on the screen in front of him.

“Hyung, it’s lunch time, for God sake!” Said Dong-Hoon in annoyed tone.

Jong-Kook took a quick glance at his expensive watch and yes it’s already 12.20 in the afternoon. No wonder his stomach started to growl. “I noticed that you have come here regularly every day since the past 3 months. Ya, Ha Dong Hoon, do your restaurants go bankrupt that you don’t have any work to do?” Asked Jong-Kook sarcastically without looking at him.

Dong-Hoon rolled his eyes. “I really do not want to see you lying like a dead corpse in the hospital bed anymore. You seriously need to take a better care of yourself. How do you think you can get Ji-Hyo back if you are very helpless like this?”

Jong-Kook lifted his head up and finally look at Dong-Hoon. “Believe me, I have my own plans.”

Dong-Hoon sighed instead. “In case you forget because you are way too immersed in your work, new year’s eve is coming soon and Ji-Hyo is currently in Incheon for winter break.” Said Dong-Hoon and he paused before continuing again. “I heard that she stayed with a man there.” Dong-Hoon added and this time he really gets all of Jong-Kook’s attention.

Without Jong-Kook realizing, his hand is balled into a tight fist and his jaw clenched hardly when he heard about a man. “Don’t joke, Dong-Hoon ah.”

Dong-Hoon chuckled. “Try figuring out and let’s see if I’m telling you the truth or not. By the way, we are going to have new menu coming out. It’s jjampong, your favorite. Make sure to eat it before it turns cold. I’ll go first. Good bye, hyung.”

As soon as Dong-Hoon left, his gaze went back into the screen and the documents on his desk. Ignoring his best friend’s reminder about lunch time because there is still so much thing to do. However, when he took a glance at the calendar and noticed that it’s December and the year is going to end very soon. It has passed their wedding anniversary. He wondered, if only she didn’t leave, probably they will get to celebrate it and he will not be sitting here, battling with the piles of work. He might be somewhere else for a winter holiday with his wife but too sad that he is just going to keep it in his imagination.

He decided to take a several minutes break as he stood up from his chair and walked towards the big glass window behind him. His office is in the highest floor of the skyscraper building and he likes the feeling that he can see everything from up there. It feels like he could control everything but in fact, he couldn’t. He looked up in the sky and noticed something was falling down from it. It’s the snowflakes. With every falling flake, a unique spark of interest falls from heaven.

He has never really cared if there is rain, blizzard or even a hurricane and never once in his life he ever thought of watching the first snow with the one he loves but after the presence of a woman, it started to change. He wanted to become the reason behind her smile, he wanted to protect her, he wanted to celebrate all kinds of celebration with her, he wanted to watch the cherry blossom with her during spring, to go on a holiday with her during summer, to watch the falling leaves with her during autumn and to watch the first snow with her during winter.

Jong-Kook noticed that his head started to spin again and he almost lost his balance if only he didn’t quickly hold on to his desk. All of his imaginations started to pain his heart because he realized that the one who is responsible for his own happiness is himself. God has sent him an angel and she was like a rainbow while his life is a storm but it was his fault that he made her left.

**

The night has turn into day in just a blink of eye but Jong-Kook couldn’t seem to forget what happened yesterday between him and Ji-Hyo. He couldn’t give up just because of her cold shoulder. Even if she keeps on pushing him away, he will always try to come back to her because he couldn’t bear losing her for the second time and now, he is here, in front of a two-storey bungalow that’s located not too far from the beach where he met her yesterday.

Jong-Kook rubbed his palms together to warm himself because the air is getting colder. “Ya, Song Ji Hyo. What took you so long.” He mumbled on his own.

However, not long after that, the door was opened. His lips curled up, thinking if it’s Ji-Hyo who opened the door but the smile faded when it was a little girl instead.

“Who are you?” The little girl asked, looking at Jong-Kook with confused gaze.

Jong-Kook was confused as well. He looked at his surrounding and his phone screen, checking if he really gets the right address. “It’s right.” He mumbled as he came to the right house but who is this little girl.

“Eun-Ha ya, who is it?”

Jong-Kook’s eyes widened when he heard the familiar voice from the house. He recognized that voice and he saw the little girl was running inside with the door left open. Not long after that, the figure that he has been missing finally came into his sight.

“Good morning.” Said Jong-Kook as he gives his sweetest smile to Ji-Hyo.

Ji-Hyo looked at him disbelieve. “What are you doing here?” She asked coldly.

Jong-Kook bit his lips. “Can we talk inside? It’s freezing here.”

Ji-Hyo rolled her eyes just then. “Ya! Didn’t I tell you to go back, yesterday? You are not supposed to be here.”

However, the little girl looked at both Ji-Hyo and Jong-Kook continuously. She tiptoed a little as she touched Jong-Kook’s palm. “Imo, his hand is so cold.”

What a right timing, Jong-Kook thought. He hugged his own body tightly, acting like he’s really shivering in cold. “Yes, little girl. It’s very cold outside.”

Ji-Hyo scoffed at him. What a good trick, she thought but the air is actually very cold and she knew how stubborn this man could be. “Get in.” She said without looking at Jong-Kook.

Jong-Kook let out a cheeky smile and followed her from behind. The bungalow is quite spacious. He could even see a classic piano right beside the TV room and this place is surprisingly very warm.

“What are you looking for? Take a seat.” Said Ji-Hyo while she vanished from his eyesight for a while.

“Ahjussi, who are you?” The little girl took a seat beside Jong-Kook and started to feel curious with Jong-Kook’s presence. This is her first time seeing him.

Jong-Kook caressed the little girl’s hair gently. “I’m..”

Before he could tell, the voice of a man successfully captured his attention.

“Noona, you invited your friend?”

Damn it, Jong-Kook thought. She is really staying with a man. Without him realizing, his hand slowly balled into a tight fist while looking at the young man who is now talking to Ji-Hyo in the kitchen. He could see this young man is indeed charming and attractive at the same time, making the jealousy feeling to arise again. He scoffed inside his heart. Another black knight? Just how many black knights does she has? First, Park Si Hoo. Second, Jo In Sung and now this charming young man who calls her noona?

Ji-Hyo shrugged her shoulder. “I didn’t invite him. He came by himself. I can chase him out if his presence bothers you.”

The young man was startled due to Ji-Hyo’s harsh words and her sharp glare to Jong-Kook. He has never seen Ji-Hyo treating someone like this before. “It’s okay, noona. I forgot to tell you that I have to rush to the office. It’s such a good timing that your friend is here to keep you accompanied.” He replied.

Ji-Hyo’s sharp glare moved from Jong-Kook to the young man. “Ya, Song Joong Ki! Rushi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter