Chapter 11

Seoul High School for the Gifted

"Are all the performing arts seniors here?" Heo seonsaengnim stood at the front of the room with another tall man, who ShinYoung and Melody recognized as Kim HyunJoong seonsaengnim, the music teacher.

"Neh." The senior class chorused. All of the seniors were curious as to why they were called into the auditorium and only them. There were no other majors here and it was specifically only seniors.
 
"Well, as you all know, the school's Spring Showcase is coming up. Along with that, you all will be graduating this school year so what you do this year is crucial to your future. I believe you all want to be idol's, right?" Heo seonsaengnim seemed excited for what was to come, Instead of his usual, shy demeanor, he was almost glowing with confidence.
 
"Idols," Kim seonsaengnim took a step forward so he was closer to the students. "all come from entertainment companies and during the showcase, there will be scouts from all the entertainment companies trying to recruit students who could be potential trainees for them."
 
Melody yawned a bit to which she got an elbow in the side from ShinYoung. She knew all this stuff already. Headmaster Lee explained it clear enough to her. Was it her fault she was bored?
 
"There is a catch to this year's showcase." Heo seonsaengnim picked up where Kim seonsaengnim left off. The students jolted up in surprise. No one ever told them about a catch. "All your performances must be a duet."
 
Many of the students groaned in response. They already planned their performances weeks ago now their plans were changed completely. 
Melody quickly clutched onto ShinYoung's arm. "I call doing the duet with you." Melody heard about all the high points ShinYoung got in her vocal classes and knew that if she was paired up with ShinYoung, it would be an immediate win for her.
 
"...with the other gender." Kim seonsaengnim finished Heo seonsaengnim's point. Melody sunk back down in her chair. She was completely dreading this. 
 
"And we have looked through all your profiles and, according to your vocal range, pitch, and tone have paired you up with the person you would be able to harmonize with best." Even ShinYoung was getting a little nervous now but she trusted that her teachers were only trying to do what was best for her.
 
"I will read off each pair and you will have to work out the practice time with your partner. Heo seonsaengnim will be here to help you if you have any trouble finding the right harmony and I will be here to help with the composition of the piece. And now, the pairs. Kim MyungSoo and Lee JiEun, Cho..."
 
Melody waited nervously for her partner. She didn't want to get paired up with a complete idiot or and jerk. That would just make her life much more difficult.
 
"...Melody Kim and Kim JongHyun..." Melody's eyes widened and she looked across the room to see a wider-eyed JongHyun with the same exact expression. They did not want to be together at all. Her eyes furrowed together before she turned away from his angry glare to burry her head in ShinYoung's shoulder. 
 
ShinYoung responded with a comforting half-hug, since the way they were sitting didn't allow her to hug Melody completely, and rubbed her shoulder slowly while whispering a few words at her.
 
"...Lee ShinYoung and Nam WooHyun..." ShinYoung looked over at the flirt sitting in the back with his arm around yet another girl. She wasn't exactly happy with being paired up with him but he was a good singer and the fact that they were roommates made the partnership more convenient for the both of them. She just had to deal with his personality.
 
"... and that's all. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact either me or Heo seonsaengnim. Your duet song will be due in two days so work together efficiently. It can be either a self-composition or a cover. You are all dismissed little earthlings." Kim seonsaengnim gave a smile and walked out the class with Heo seonsaengnim shaking his head.
 
--
 

"Ugh!" MinJung groaned while jumping put from her sitting position at the base of the tree that overlooked the entire campus. "I'm so bored! Regular classes are canceled because of that stupid showcase that we can't even be a part of!" 

 
"Take a chill pill, Minnie." Haneul was lying down on the grass with her hands behind her head and her eyes closed. "It's not like we have a choice. Just deal with it and take it as a time to relax."
 
"But it's not fair!" MinJung stomped around a bit while taking glances at the frenzy of students on campus trying to memorize and practice their pieces. She had to admit, they were good, real good, but that didn't stop her from wanting to perform herself. In fact, it made her want to perform even more. "I have idea!"
 
"It better not be stupid." Hanuel muttered. MinJung gave her a look and she realized that she heard what she said, MinJung was never meant to hear it. "Kidding!" She put her arms up in defense.
 
"Whatever but what if we do our own showcase, but not on the same day as the actual showcase because then no one would come since they're all in the real showcase. Maybe we could do it a few days before!" MinJung jumped up wit ha huge grin on her face.
 
"No offense, but that's really cliche. How many dramas have you seen that in?" MinJung kicked Haneul's leg with her foot lightly, trying to get her to go along with her plan.
 
"Come on! It'll be fun!" Haneul bought about it for a while. The idea wasn't completely bad. She wanted to perform, too. Her dream was to be up there and perform on stage with the crowd cheering her on.
 
"Fine, I'm in." Haneul stood up and MinJung hugged her immediately. They jumped around in a little happy dance. 
 
"Okay, so we have to figure out where we're going to perform, what clothes we're going to wear," MinJung counted the things to do on her fingers. "... and then we need to find an emcee-"
 
"Wait." Haneul interrupted. "But we also need other people to perform, too. I mean, it can't be just us, right? That would be really awkward and I don't want to call my family all the way here just to see me sing one song." 
 
MinJung paused. Her father. Would she invite him to come? He would be far too busy and he didn't want to bother him from running the country just for a little performance. Not to mention, no one knew she was the president's daughter and she didn't want to attract attention. That settled it. As much as she wanted her father to be there, she wan't going to tell him about it.
 
"Yah, are you still in there?" Haneul waved her hands in front of MinJung's face causing her to snap out of her short trance and jump back a little bit.
 
"Oh, mianhae." MinJung thought back at their problem. "I got it! You know how KyuHyun, JaeSun, and Jina can't perform either? Well we could get them to be in our show!" 
 
The walk to find them was somewhat awkward. The two were a little apprehensive with the plan. There weren't exactly what you would call close to KyuHyun and JaeSun and Jina just gave off a cold vibe to them. 
 
Haneul was slightly more confident with Jina, however, being her roommate and all but she still wasn't exactly sure that she would agree.
 
Either way, they had to try something. It was the only way the whole "we're having our own showcase since you kicked us out of your showcase" plan was going to work. It was worth a shot, right?
 
--
 
"This is all your fault, hyung!" KyuHyun stormed off to his room. He was about to slam his door but, oh wait, he didn't have one! "Ugh!" He collapsed onto his bed  and covered himself with his blanket, trying to sleep off his anger.
 
"Yah." JaeSun cautiously poked KyuHyun through the sheets. He started to regret the whole thing. Did he go a little too far when he broke KyuHyun's door? Something was telling him he did.
 
This was a huge step back in Plan: Be Friends with KyuHyun (A.K.A. Plan : BFWK). He had to earn KyuHyun's trust all over again and fast, not that he had it in the first place anyways but he was really close to do it.
 
And just like that, there was a knock on the door, drawing him away from KyuHyun's almost lifeless, compressed body and to the front of the dorm. He opened the door, surprised to see Haneul and MinJung standing there with huge grins on their faces.
 
At least,  he thought Haneul and MinJung were their names but wasn't really sure since he met them only a few times before and he wasn't really good with names.
 
"Umm, hello." JaeSun said hesitantly. He had no idea what those two were doing in front of the dorm especially since they didn't know each other that well but something told him that they were up to something and he wanted in.
 
"So, we just wanted to talk to you, KyuHyun, and we're not sure if he's interested but maybe Aidan, about the whole showcase thing since we don't think that it's fair that we can't perform." Haneul explained. At the word "showcase," They captured JaeSun's full attention and he let them into the dorm.
 
"Wah!" MinJung let out an amazed yell. "Your dorm is so big! That's not fair! It's bigger than me and Mel unni's dorm! Look! They even have a balcony out there!"
 
"Well," Haneul started. "If you think about it, it does make sense. I mean, they do have three people when in your dorm it's only you and Mel unni." The two wandered around the dorm, not caring that they were intruding in other people's space.
 
"But I want a balcony! The view here is so pretty! I can see everything from here! It's like living in a high-rise apartment! The view must be so pretty at night and-"
 
"So, about the showcase-"
 
"Oh yea!" He snapped the two out from thier little bubble. "We're going to make our own!" MinJung jumped up at the thought. The three were at a spot where they couldn't peek into KyuHyun's room but JaeSun swore he heard ruffling from that direction.
 
"But the only way it'll work out," Haneul began. "Is if you guys going too since it's not really a showcase if there are only two performers. Then, it would be more like a, a, ummm." Haneul paused, searching for the right words.
 
"A duet!" MinJung snapped her fingers when she thought of the word that would complete Haneul's sentence. JaeSun envied their closeness. He wished that one day he, KyuHyun, and Aidan could be like that.
 
"Arasseo." JaeSun chuckled as he agreed. It was hard to resist their aegyo. It wasn't intentional, either. IT was natural. They were just so enthusiastic it was cute. "I'll help out."
 
"Me too!" KyuHyun popped up from his room. "But I'm not going to work with him." KyuHyun pointed accusingly at JaeSun, shooting daggers at him with his eyes.
 
In the other bedroom was a shy Aidan who didn't want to reveal his position. Yes, he was eavesdropping, but what they were talking about caught his eye.
 
He wanted in, too.
 
He wasn't going to stay still while the had to give up all he had worked for. He worked on his project for weeks and he was so close to finishing. He wasn't going to ket all those sleepless nights go to waste.
 
Aidan wasn't really outspoken. That was his twin brother, Blake. Aidan didn't know where to start. How was he supposed to prove that he deserved to be in that science fair?
 
--
 
"So Jina haksaeng," Kim HyungJun seonsaeng awkwardly approached the cold student after class, fiddling with his fingers. It wasn't normal for The Kim HyungJun, CEO of H&B Corporation, to get nervous but for some sort of reason, now he was. "I was given an assignment from Headmaster Lee to work with you and write the songs for the upcoming Spring Showcase."
 
"Sure." Jina didn't really want to work with her teacher but she didn't like how he was intruding on her "Jina Time." She wanted just to chill but he was keeping her from doing so. She only agreed so he could leave.
 
"That means we'll have to meet after class every day so we could work on them. We'll only be working on the whole school finale so don't worry about having too much work. She said maybe one or two-"
 
"Yea, whatever." Jina shooed her teacher away with her words. She didn't feel like talking to anyone right now. She was in a crappy mood since she couldn't perform in the showcase.
 
The showcase was the only thing that kept her excited about school. She had everything all planned out. She picked her song already and practiced it countless times. She was more than ready to perform even though it was weeks away.
 
HyungJun sighed to calm down and walked away. His fists were gripped at his sides and he even took a breath while counting to ten. The only reason he was going though with this was an angry Chara was much much  more scary than a disrespectful student that he could just give a detention to.
 
"Unni!" A screaming Haneul came running to Jina followed by an ecstatic MinJung, a calm JaeSun, and a grumpy KyuHyun who wanted to stay in his bed to sleep by was forced to walk around to get exercise by the health freak, JaeSun.
 
Jina rolled her eyes but really she was just doing that to avoid JaeSun who couldn't take his off of her. His outward demeanor was composed but the quick glance she made at his eyes told her that he was up to something.
 
"Go away." Jina said, emotionless. "Don't talk to me."
 
"But-" 
 
"No. Just leave." Jina didn't even look up from her notebook on her lap. She was disappointed. She worked so hard because she wanted to prove to her family that she could make it even though she was academically challenged and that music was the right path for her. Now, she couldn't.
 
"Would you just stop acting like such a spoiled brat?" JaeSun unexpectedly exclaimed from behind Haneul. "We're all mad that we can't perform in the showcase. It's not just you! Stop pushing people away! We're here to help so just listen to what they Haneul has to say!"
 
Jina shrunk a little in her body. WIth her head lowered, she slowly walked away. Haneul moved to go after her but JaeSun pulled her back with her arm.
 
"But we need-"
 
"No. Just let her go to think. It's no use if we force her."

Hello!
 
Sigh. I think my writing is getting bad. My chapters are getting even shorter and shorter and shorter...
 
Oh well. I'll just try even harder to improve!
 
@TheBestOfKpop: WHOMP Whomp whomp..... LOL You got in trouble *points finger and laughs*
YES! I, Headmaster Lee am superior to ALL
 
@Twiillaa: OMG REALLY! SPAZZ! That's crazy! Wait until I tell my English teacher that! She would have to give me an A for my term paper, right?
 
@SuperJuniorfan13: Of course the story is NOT ending! I guess I forgot to explain this. There's going to be a total of 3 showcases, Spring, Summer, and Fall. The school year is going to end aroung Winter-ish but that just means I'm going to open apply again for Freshmen only and everyone would come back again in the next grade (except for the seniors since they're graduating).
I have so much more in store for you guys XD
LOL I could so imagine that.
Oh god. I would laugh hysterically if I saw that XD
 
@secretseweet: Well, they sort of found their own way to be in the showcase.
Well, I can't be a complete pushover, now can I? I need to be able to run the school.
Showcase is coming soon! I'm working on it!
 
@KimKyuHyun: for you~! 
Please don't kill my characters... Violence is bad and I can expell you.
Sigh, My self-conceited cousin. I need to teach him a lesson.
 
@i_candie: If you want to participate you better tell Jina to stop being such a . LOL
But that means when I get all old, he's still gonig to look so young and I'm going to be all old and wrinkly TT^TT
BUT YOU WERE THE ONLY PERSON I EVER TOLD! WHO DID YOU TELL ABOUT MY PRIVATE LIFE?????
It looks like that won't be together for a while since my hubby is making his comeback..........
Thank you ^^
 
@Sherry_16: MinJung skipped that time when she was running away from her bodyguards because after luch, she never went back to class.
WEll, they sort of are but sort of aren't... LOL Did that make sense?