Chapter 16

Seoul High School for the Gifted
ShinYoung’s eyes fluttered open to find herself in a white room. The bed was nice and soft but the air reeked of medicine, not something you would want to wake up to.
 
She stretched out her arms and legs to get her blood flowing and wake up her limbs, in the process shutting her eyes tight and making a few strange, cat-like mewls.
 
She looked to her right hand and noticed it was connected to a long wire attached to a clear bag of suspicious looking liquid. She blinked at it a few times and watched as the liquid slowly dripped down the tube, wondering about its purpose.
 
“Unni!” MinJung yelled when she saw ShinYoung awake. She dropped the bouquet of flowers she was holding on the ground and the huge bunch of balloons she brought went flying into the air as she practically jumped on ShinYoung.
 
“Hey, what’s wrong?” She asked, surprised by MinJung’s actions. She still had no idea where she was or how she got there. The last thing she remembered was sweeping the auditorium floor with Melody and everything after that was a blur.
 
“I’m sorry.” MinJung croaked out in a low, hushed voice as if there was something stuck in . MinJung buried her face in the comfort of ShinYoung’s shoulder. “It’s all my fault.”
 
“Shhhhh.” ShinYoung hushed her dongsaeng while soothingly rubbed her back. “Nothing is your fault. Don’t blame yourself. You did nothing wrong. Now, tell me. What happened?”
 
“If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t have passed out and be here right now.” She looked at the ground, guiltily. “And it’s that WooHyun guy’s fault, too.” She looked back up with her eyes furrowed. “He just made your life harder and-” ShinYoung chuckled.
 
“Stop blaming yourself, arasseo? And don’t blame WooHyun either. If anything, it’s my fault because I didn’t take care of myself.” ShinYoung said all with a smile on her face even though she was still completely exhausted.
 
“Arasseo, unni.” MinJung said, still feeling a little guilty. She saw ShinYoung making moves to get off the bed when she pushed her back to lie down. “No. You can’t get up until you’re 100% healed. What do you want?”
 
“No, it’s fine. I just want some water because I’m a little thirsty but it’s right-” At that moment, MinJung got up to the table and poured ShinYoung a cup of water from the pitched sitting there.
 
“Here you go, unni. Say ahhhhh.” MinJung wouldn’t allow ShinYoung to hold the cup but instead elevated her unni’s chin so she could help her drink.
 
“MinJung-ah, I’m not completely useless. I think I’m capable of drinking without anyone helping me.” She laughed but shut up when MinJung gave her a strict glare.
 
“Oh, you’re awake.” The two heard a voice say by the door. They looked up to see Melody and Haneul there holding a basket. Actually, Melody was holding the basket while trying to keep it away from Haneul.
 
“How are you feeling, unni?” Haneul asked while reaching for the basket, only to get pushed away. Melody pushed Haneul by the head, making her pout.
 
“What are you two doing?” ShinYoung laughed out loud. The sight was hilarious. Melody had one arm holding the basket behind her while her other hand was pushing Haneul forward by her head. Haneul was desperately reaching for the basket but it was far out of her range.
 
“This girl.” Melody eyed Haneul. “Wants to eat this basket of cookies.” Melody chuckled. At the sound of “cookied” Haneul jumped up and started trying harder.
 
“The cookies will be mine!” Haneul yelled out but was obviously tired from all the strength she was exerting. Eventually, she gave up and sat in the corner.
 
“Nope!” MinJung ran over and grabbed the cookies before Melody could do anything to stop her. “Hahahahahahahahaha!” She went running through the hospital hallways laughing like a maniac.
 
“Wait!” Haneul ran after her. “You have to share those!” Everyone else in the hospital stared at them like they thought that they were admitted into the wrong building. They should have been put in that psycho ward even though they weren’t even admitted here.
 
“Nice job.” ShinYoung laughed at Melody. “You better pray those cookies don’t get to Haneul. You know how she gets when she eats sugar.”
 
Oh god.” Melody poked her head out the door. “Haneul, you better come back here this instant, you psychotic, hyper, sugar-loving beast!” She came back in and sat on the chair next to ShinYoung’s bed. “It’s too much work to chase after her.”
 
“Wait,” ShinYoung paused. “Where did you get those cookies? They looked homemade and you, definitely, would never have baked those. I don’t even think you’ve stepped foot in a kitchen.”
 
I don’t know.” Melody admitted. “I found them outside your room and brought them in. They looked really yummy.” Melody took her hand out from behind her back to uncover a cookie she snuck out of the basket.
 
“Can I have a bite?” ShinYoung gave her puppy eyes.
 
No! It’s mine.” And then she stuffed it in . With still full, she spoke. “Would I really choose you over a cookie? I mean, it’s a cookie. Of course I would choose the cookie. I would choose the cookie over anyone, even my appa.”
 
“Really?” ShinYoung gave a teasing look which Melody responded with a nod, innocently. “Even MyungSoo?” She raised her eyebrows.
 
Shut up.” Melody glared and smacked ShinYoung on the head with her pillow.
 
“Nurse! Someone is abusing the patient!” ShinYoung joked.
 
--
 
KyuHyun and Yuri were staring at each other intensely. Their eyes were narrowed down at each other, each wearing stern faces. The tense atmosphere could be felt by everyone, especially the other customers.
 
“E-excuse me?” One hesitantly called for Yuri, only to get theoretical daggers shot straight at him, making him turn back to the table and sit back in his seat. “I only wanted a glass of water.” He mumbled quietly to himself as he sank back in his chair.
 
The two continued where they left off, just glaring at each other. Some of the scared customers got up and made their way out of the restaurant. Yuri, who was too engrossed in their little stare down, didn’t notice so she didn’t make an effort to stop them.
 
“Ummm.” Ahjumma hobbled over to them from her hiding spot by the kitchen window. “I think you two should stop. You’re scaring away the customers.” She pointed at the empty dining area.
 
“Nice. You’re an amazing waitress, Yuri.” KyuHyun smirked at Yuri who snapped back at him by slapping his head hard, making him step back slightly.
 
“Shut up.” She growled. The two were at it again with the staring when a commotion at the front door cut their battle short, making them try to find out what was happening.
 
“Jae hyung?” KyuHyun wondered what JaeSun was doing there, when he hates junk food, and why he was out of breath. JaeSun was breathing deeply while clutching onto the doorframe for support as if he ran all the way there.
 
“You’re,” JaeSun kept trying to catch his breath. “…coming with,” He grabbed KyuHyun by the wrist. “..me.” And just like that, JaeSun dragged KyuHyun out the door.
 
“Wait but I didn’t even get to eat m ramyun yet!” KyuHyun struggled against his tight grip but failed. It must have been all the junk food he ate. Yea, KyuHyun definitely got pudgy.
 
“No. You’re helping me find my mystery girl.” Despite KyuHyun moving around a lot, JaeSun managed to bring him all the way back to campus when he stopped and looked around trying to find someone who looked like his mystery girl.
 
KyuHyun stayed quiet and the glare he gave to Yuri before transferred to JaeSun when JaeSun walked up ahead without KyuHyun. JaeSun, unaware of the look he was getting, kept scanning the area.
 
Realizing that JaeSun wasn’t paying attention to him anymore, KyuHyun quietly tried to sneak away without JaeSun knowing. Slowly, he started backing away in the direction of the ramyun shop.
 
“Okay, so it looks like she’s not here. I’ll go check by the music room and you can check in the-” JaeSun turned around. “Yah! Get back here!”
 
KyuHyun was about a good five meters away when he was caught so he made a run for it, thinking he had a head start and could easily outrun JaeSun with his speed but what he didn’t account for was his endurance.
 
JaeSun woke up early every morning to go for a good five mile jog before classes. He tried before to get KyuHyun to run with him but you know that lazy bum. You can never get his off the couch.
 
KyuHyun was a good distance away from JaeSun but, with all the ramyun in his system, he started slowing down after twenty minutes of running and JaeSun caught him by the twenty-five minute mark.
 
KyuHyun bent down, using his knees for support, as he tried to catch his breath. He held up a finger signaling to JaeSun to wait a second.
 
“Hold,” He took a deep breath. “…up. Can’t breathe.” Two minutes flew by and KyuHyun was still gasping for air. Well, what else do you expect from a junk food obsessed freak?
 
“That’s what you get for eating all that ramyun.” JaeSun scolded. “See? You’re even getting pudgy again, too.” He tapped KyuHyun’s stomach. “We’re going back to the dorm and having a talk about your diet.”
 
JaeSun took KyuHyun by his ear and dragged him back to campus. Did they get weird stares from people? You can be sure they did but JaeSun didn’t care. KyuHyun had no choice. JaeSun had him by the ear. You know how much that hurts?
 
--
 
Jina was on her usual spot on the hill underneath the tree. Her guitar sat neatly next to her with the neck leaning on the tree trunk. She didn’t know why but she enjoyed looking at the ither students go along their lives.
 
No, she wasn’t a creepy stalker if that’s what you were thinking (but I would argue that LeeTeuk is a tiny bit creepy). She was jealous that they were so happy all the time. The smiles on their faces could never be erased but she had such trouble finding her own.
 
“Hey.” A voice snapped her out of her thoughts. “You’re here again.” Jina looked up to see YongHwa with his guitar strapped onto his back like usual. He sat down next to her, the opposite side of her guitar, and pulled his guitar in front of him so he could sit comfortably with his back to the tree.
 
She took a look at his guitar and then at hers and blushed slightly, looking away at the ground. The design was exactly the same. They both had the Martin Dreadnought Acoustic. The only difference was she had chosen the darker colored D25M and he had taken the more traditional route with the D-41.
 
If anyone looked at them in the distance, they could definitely mistake them for a couple, sitting side by side with their couple guitars. The thought made Jina blush even more.
 
“You don’t talk much, do you?” It was sort of a rhetorical question. Growing up together in the same neighborhood, YongHwa already knew Jina’s personality from what others told him. They never interacted much when they were kids, even though they knew each other.
 
“I guess.” Jina muttered in almost a whisper with a shrug. Despite that, he still caught what she said and nodded his head in understanding. “I try to let my music speak for me.” She said a little louder when she found the courage.
 
“How do you do that?” He tried to keep the conversation going but it wasn’t forced. He was genuinely curious. YongHwa was an amazing musician when it came to the technical stuff but he lacked emotion and the ability to connect with the audience. He found that in Jina.
 
Again, Jina just shrugged. “It’s not something I can teach you. You just feel it.” She put her guitar in her lap and started strumming a random tune, something that she just made up off the top of her head. She closed her eyes and just played, letting the music speak for itself.
 
Her eyes flew open and she realized what just happened. She was getting too close and she knew it. It was getting dangerous. Standing up, she gave a small bow.
 
“I’m sorry, sunbae, but I have to go.” I word “sunbae” flew out of and she remembered the hard reality of the situation. He was a whole year older than her, a senior. He was graduating that year. She couldn’t get close to him.
 
“Wait.” YongHwa tugged at her arm as she made a move to leave. Jina bit the bottom of her lip, trying to keep herself from falling back into him. “But I still have a lot to ask you about your music and-”
 
Jina’s heart fell. Of course. Ho only wanted to get to know her for his music. He needed to get better because he was a senior and would be scouted by the different companies. That’s it. He didn’t share the same feelings. It was and would always be a one-sided love for her.
 
“I’m sorry, sunbae.” She cut him off. “But I really need to go now.” Excuses. She just needed to get out of there. She was getting too comfortable around him and she didn’t like it. It wasn’t supposed to be like that. What happened to the cold-hearted Jina? She turned soft and shy, not something she liked.
 
She walked away and he didn’t stop her. She was a little disappointed that he didn’t make any efforts to run after her and keep talking to her.
 
But then again, that’s what she wanted, right?
 
--
 
“…so don’t forget that tomorrow there’s going to be a quick quiz on stoichiometry. It’s only going to be a few problems so don’t worry too much about it. It’s probably going to take up maybe fifteen minutes of the period.” Jea seonsaengnim said as she dismissed her afternoon chemistry class. “Oh, and don’t forget that next week we’ll be starting the unit on organic chemistry so if you want a head start read chapter twenty-seven in your textbooks!”
 
Aidan was trying to pack up his stuff as fast as he could before Amber could finish packing her things up and make her way over to him. In the process, Aidan bag got really messy and he couldn’t fit his notebook in since all the loose papers and books were just squished in there so he watched helplessly as Amber made her way through the rows of desks to his.
 
“Yo.” She greeted while ruffling his hair a bit. She then stuffed her hands in her pockets half way with her thumbs sticking out and elbows slightly bent. Amber, being the tomboy she was, refused to wear the school skirts even though it was mandatory for all girls and got away with it just because she was one of the top students.
 
“H-hey.” Aidan replied nervously, hoping she wouldn’t bring up the 30,000 won (about $25) he owed her. Why was it taking him so long to pay her back? Well, he was broke! Why else would he borrow money from her? It’s all the soda and junk food he was eating. But then again, it was  a butthead move on him for borrowing money he knew he couldn’t pay back, and he was supposed to be a smart one. Yea, right.
 
Amber, on the other hand, didn’t pick up his nervousness. She just took it as him still being uncomfortable with her. She realized that he wasn’t used to being around girls (even though his twin brother, Blake, was the complete opposite) and let it slide. What she didn’t know was the Aidan was getting comfortable around her and that was all because of her boyish charm that made it seem like he was hanging around with a guy rather than the opposite .
 
“So, you headed to the cafeteria now? I’m mad hungry. I woke up late and almost came late to class so I couldn’t grab lunch.” Amber chuckled and Aidan did the same but awkwardly. That was their routine. After class they would head out to the cafeteria a few buildings down for a late lunch since they usually rushed to class without having a chance to get any food before.
 
The ironic thing is that they chose to have afternoon classes knowing that they weren’t morning people and thinking they wouldn’t be late yet they were usually almost late on a daily basis. Yea, they had a hard time getting up in the morning, or should I say the afternoon.
 
“Y-yea, sure.” Aidan was dying on the inside, knowing that once they go to the cafeteria, he would have to pay for lunch but he had no money so he would have to borrow it from Amber yet again. At the same time, he was wondering why she hadn’t brought up the money he owed yet. Was she planning to make him pay for lunch today? But how could he pay for lunch without any money?
 
“What’chu goin to eat today? Maybe I’ll get some mulnaengmyeon since it’s mad hot outside.” Amber looked at him expectantly, waiting for him to answer.
 
“Uhhh, I think I’ll just get some kimbap.” Aidan answered with the cheapest dish he could think of off the top of his head. Amber nodded her head understandingly since Aidan got that usually, anyway.
 
When they got to the cafeteria, the line was short since most of the students got lunch before so they made it to the cash register quickly. Amber got there first and, despite Aidan’s previous suspicions, paid for her meal herself. Aidan was next and paid for his kimbap with the last bill he had in his wallet, a single 5,000 won bill (about $4) and he didn’t get back any change.
 
Sighing, Aidan made his way with Amber to one of the unoccupied tables. Amber started eating immediately, like a pig I might add, and Aidan cautiously ate knowing he wouldn’t have the money to eat tomorrow. He had two choices, either find a job or ask for money from his dad, but the thing was, he needed money ASAP.
 
Aidan couldn’t take it anymore. His nerves were killing him because Amber wasn’t bringing up the money. He slammed his chopsticks on the table and stood up.
 
“I’m sorry!” He confessed, bending his head down and grabbing his hair. “I don’t have the money and I don’t know when I can pay you back but I’ll try to get it-”
 
“Wait, hold up.” Amber interrupted him, still full. “What money?”
 
“The money I owe you.” Aidan explained.
 
“You don’t owe me money.” Amber shook her head and took another bite of her noodles.
 
“AIDAN KANG, WHERE IS MY 30,000 WON?” Haneul came bursting through the door, earning the attention of the other diners in the cafeteria. It was good there weren’t many.
 
“Oh crap.”

Heys guys!
 
So, I just took my last final and it was mad easy. I swear it was pathetic. My chem teacher made it sound like it would be then end of the world but it was so pathetically easy. Rediculous.
 
So now, officially I'm on summer break but it wasn't like I did anything this week anyway. I just had two tests and that's it.
 
Did anyone listen to f(x)'s new CD? OMG I LOVE BEAUTIFUL STRANGER! AMBERRRRRRR! Lol I'm Amber biased so yea. I freaked out when I went to SM Town in Oct because I went just for Amber (plus a little Onew, YeSung, and ChangMin on the side but mostly Amber).
 
Also, I think there's a litte confusion with the ages of the characters and that's my fault since I didn't explicitly point it out to you guys. If you check in the forward it has all the grades the characters are in but not their ages so I'll just do that now.
KyuHyun - 14     Dob: 08/03/97 (yes, he skipped a couple grades)
Haneul - 15     DoB: 04/05/97
MinJung - 15     DoB: 02/24/07
Aidan - 16     DoB: 01/01/96
Jina - 16     DoB: 04/08/96
JaeSun - 16     DoB: 07/30/95
ShinYoung - 17     DoB: 08/13/94
Melody - 18     DoB: 03/13/94
Also, your partner is the same age as you unless I specifically pointed out otherwise, like with Jina and YongHwa.
 
@dattebayo-go: Haha Don't worry. You'll get better. I have a surprise for you~~~~~~~
LOL WooHyun is probably like "Omg. What just happened?"
Technically, Mel is your unni but whatever.
Right? He's amazing. I love his covers for Big Bang's Haru Haru and Yiruma's River Flows in You. So beautiful. *wipes tear*
Hehehe... pudgy. I swear ever since I started writing this, pudgy became my favorite word.
SECRET!!!!
 
@secretseweet: Sigh... It's the Big Three. I don't really think they'll be nicer than that but we'll see how it plays out in the end.
Mel, MinJung, and Haneul better take care of ShinYoung.
Haha. I laughed at WooHyun. I didn't feel sorry for him at all. He deserved it.
LOL I think you mean KYUHYUN and Yuri but yea those two bicker like an old married couple.
Hopefully.... but I just found out that I need to babysit little kids over the summer... but then again I live playing with kids.
 
@Twiillaa: Don't worry. It's nothing serious. She just needs a little rest.
Well, technically it's his fault for nopt taking care of his roommate.
Hehehe... it's a secret but I did give a few clues on who it is.
 
@KimKyuHyun: Haha You better! Or else she's going to end up at the hospital again and this time it would be all your fault!
Well, now I think he's avoiding Haneul. XD
Ummmm, I think you are just a little bit. The first stage you have to get past is denial.... just admit it. You are pudgy.
 
@SuperJuniorfan13: I know... I felt bad making ShinYoung sick but I had to....
Sigh and now everyone else is upset too but it looks like the cookies made them feel better.
Yup! But it's a secret so don't tell the others or Jina might get mad so shhhhhhhhhhh.
LOL Imagine JaeSun's mystery girl was actually a guy? XD
I swear I want to see those two locked up in a room together just to see them bite their heads off.
Yea I got used to it already. I just need to transfer all my old files from my old computer to my laptop and that's it!
 
@Sherry_16: You should write that on a balloon and give it to her.... balloons are nice. I like balloons.
LOL More like he should pay Haneul back XD but with what money?
 
@i_candie: Well the pressure is mostly on the seniors since it's their last chance but the others still have a few more years to prove themselves.
Everyone is suffering for ShinYoung. If one of them is hurt, they're all hurt.
KyuHyun and Yuri are too cute together XD Like Tom and Jerry.
LOL Because the first thing I think of when I see leader is his space addiction XD And I like monkeys. I've always wondered what it was like to be a monkey.
I'm waiting patiently for those two years to pass...
Hey! I'm not mad all the time... Only when I have 8 students annoying the hell out of me and making me stressed. LOL JOKE! I love you guys
It's because we miss them so much. Just one appearance was so meaningful. 
Yea. I started crying too when I saw them cry. I wish mal would tell us when he's hurt so we could bear the burden with him and he wouldn't have to carry it by himself.
Yup! Agree 501%
 
I baked you guys brownies yesterday and I completely forgot to give them to you! This is just my way of saying thank you for being such awesome readers and for always putting a smile on my face with your comments (which I will reply to in the actual chapter).

I know the brownies are no where as good as all the love you've been giving me but it was the least I could do for you guys. Sorry they don't look that pretty. I blame the knife that I used to cut them and the fact that I'm such a awful photographer but they taste really yummy and are really chocolatey... which reminds me... I should probably keep these away from Haneul but don't worry  sujufan... you can have some XD. Oh and a few of them are missing (like the piece on the top left and the one on the bottom right) and that was just my brothers sneaking bites when I wasn't looking XD.

Hope you like them!

I FIXED THE LINK FOR THOSE WHO COULDN'T SEE IT!!!!!