37 | The Innocent First Kiss

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Appreciate the moment of a first kiss; it may be the last time you own your heart."
— Robert M. Drake

 

|| Flashback: Last Year of Middle School ||

|| Gurye County ||

 

Meeting him three years ago at their middle school orientation, Su Min never even thought about falling in love…but she did. She fell too deep in love, that there was little to no chance of ever falling out of it.

 

It had been a year since she realized her feelings for their school's multi-talented, dancing machine, forever flower boy, Kim Jongin. A year, two months, and 22 days to be exact.

 

From the times they had spent together—hanging out with their mutual friends or with just the two of them—she had always sensed that somehow, he felt the same, but she never got enough clues to be certain.

 

Now, in their last ever class outing of their middle school lives, the chances of him reciprocating his feelings seemed slim to none.

 

Observing from her seat, she snuck glances toward the group of five guys huddled together, horse playing around. She let out a heavy sigh and rested her chin on top of her overlapping hands, letting her shoulders drop.

 

"Cheer up Su Min," Ji Young instructed as she lightly patted her disheartened friend's head. "The two of you are going to the same high school, so there's nothing to worry about. If it doesn't happen this year, well…there's always next year," she continued, trying—but failing—to convince Su Min.

 

"And the year after that. Maybe even in college," Eun Ji added, leaning over to give her a bright, cheerful smile.

 

Of course, the two of them were right—as long as Jongin wasn't taken, there was always a next time. Su Min knew her friends were just trying to keep her on the positive side of her unrecruited love, but still…she didn’t want to look forward to another "maybe tomorrow" or "someday". She wanted to know how he felt. And she wanted to know now.

 

Failing to reciprocate their efforts, Su Min let out another sigh. "Kay…" she mumbled with pouted lips as she settled her head on the picnic table.

 

After a minute of slipping into the land of hopelessness, Soo Jin began to poke her side diligently. "Su Min," she called softly, still stabbing away, "Park Su Min…ya…"

 

"Soo Jin stop," she muttered, but the poking continued. Feeling annoyed, she bolted up, raising her head in a swift manner to reveal her knitted brows. "Aish! What?" she shouted in anger, only to be met with Jongin's startled face.

 

"Jongin…" she heard herself say as she stared at him wide-eyed. With her cheeks flushed red from embarrassment and no place to hide, Su Min bit her bottom lip and lowered her head apologetically, "So—sorry."

 

The charismatic flower boy let out a soft chuckle and waved his hands in front of him. "Ah—h no, it’s okay," he replied, followed by silence.

 

"Umm," he started again some seconds after and ran a hand through his black locks—a motion that made Su Min's heart beat faster than it already was. "Can I talk to you…?" he asked shyly, turning to the side to hide his lightly blushing face, "…in private?"

 

"Of course!" Eun Ji and Ji Young answered for her as they forced Su Min out of her seat and pushed her to Jongin.

 

Thanks to her dearest friends and their unrestrained strength, she lost her balance and bumped onto him. Luckily, her prince caught her in his arms, trapping her in a light embrace.

 

By now, along with her ever-glowing cheeks, Su Min's heart was pounding harder and louder against her chest. If he listened a little closer, she was sure he could hear its wild thrashing clearly. 

 

Su Min looked back at the two girls, shooting them death glares before turning to face Jongin. The moment she did, her eyes locked onto his sweet, gentle gaze

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter