12 | Still or Never Were

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Past is past, that was a given.
Moving on to see the future, that was a must.
But how do I move on?
When my past was the only thing, I’ve ever wanted in my future?
 

Su Min yanked the handle, desperately twisting the knob and hoping that somehow, all her efforts would eventually free her from being trapped in the same room as her ex-boyfriend.

 

But the door didn’t budged in the slightest.

 

"Damn it!" she cursed out in anger, finally accepting defeat after giving the metal barrier a final push and tug. She turned back around and faced Kai with her brows arched so low, an extra ounce of rage would've caused them to touch. "Ya, Kim Jongin, are you stupid?" she spat out, not bothering to hide her annoyance. Without giving him a chance to respond, Su Min nodded her head and answered her own question, "Yes, yes you are."

 

"Huh?" Kai shouted back. "Su Min I don’t think you understand. If he saw us in here alone together, he might misinterpret the situation and start something that will put both of us in a position we don't want to be in," he continued with his own frustration emerging.

 

Taken aback, Su Min stared at him with slightly agape. Omo. She thought as a breath escaped her lungs. First, how dare he raise his voice when he’s clearly the cause of this misfortune? Second, "misinterpret the situation"? Is he being serious right now?

 

"We work together. What can possibly make him think that we're doing something inappropriate?" she refuted, shutting down his excuse.

 

"Look, what I’m trying to say is…" Kai countered, but Su Min blocked him out.

 

While his never-ending explanation faded into the background, she reached into her cardigan and dug for her phone, but as she did so, she quickly realized she left it on her desk under a stack of paper. Great. She sighed. Of all the possible consequences that could've happened for choosing to not take it with me, this has to be the worst outcome.

 

She switched her attention back to Kai, who was still in the process of defending his actions, and bared her fangs. "Stop mumbling to yourself and quickly call someone to open this door," she ordered, blowing off steam.

 

Acting the role of an ill-mannered child, the face of EXO ignored her command and slumped down to on the floor, resting his back against the shelf of albums. Then, as if to mock her, he casually took out his phone and began playing games.

 

"Aish," Su Min hissed as she glared at him. "Ya!" she screamed right after, her level of anger quickly on the rise.

 

"I don’t want to!" Kai yelled back like a rebellious teen, without ever taking his eyes off the bright screen.

 

Dumbfounded, all Su Min could do was stare at him. It has been years since she last saw him act this way. In fact, it had been so long, that she had already forgotten he even had such a childish and stubborn side to him.

 

After overcoming the slight shock, she made her way over to where he was and swiftly snatched the device from his hand. She quickly distanced herself from him, and dialed the front desk number as fast as she could before he got the chance to attack her. Knowing Kai, she knew her time was quickly ticking down.

 

When the invisible clock struck zero, EXO’s monster sprang to his feet and charged in her direction to reclaim his phone.

 

Luckily, Su Min turned her body away just in time.

 

But he refused to give up nonetheless.

 

In the process of twisting and turning in order to retain the device in her possession, she found herself in his embrace with his broad chest leaning against her slender back, slowing her down. As their movements slowly came to a stop, Kai rested his head lightly on her shoulder and hugged her from behind, instantly restricting her on the spot.

 

"What—what are you doing?" she asked in a soft whisper.

 

"Let me stay like this," he answered in the same manner, refusing to move, "even just for a minute." Without waiting for permission, he tightened his embrace, wholeheartedly enjoying the moment he finally had her back in his arms.

 

Su Min stood still like a statue as the familiar pair of arms comforted her, the very same way they did several years back. The Kim Jongin who coldly welcomed her back to Korea, was not the same Kim Jongin holding her ever so gently this very moment. The warmth of his skin brushing against hers was enough to make her heart skip a beat. Knowing he was this close to her was enough to make her heart skip a second beat. But realizing just how much she longed for this feeling, made her heart stop.

 

As she became dazed in a mixture of sweet emotions, her hand unconsciously reached up to feel his arm securely wrapped around her shoulders.

 

Noticing the warm sensation of her delicate fingers meet his skin, Kai felt his lips curve into a satisfied smile.

 

One would think it was a picturesque scene, but no.

 

Out of the blue, deafening beeps began to emerge from the phone’s speaker, disturbing the moment.  

 

Reeling back to reality, Su Min raised the device cradled in her other hand and glanced at the screen, while Kai lifted his head from her shoulder to do the same. They watched in disbelief as the empty battery icon flashed before their eyes, and together, they helplessly waited for the screen to turn black.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter