4 | Seoul-Bound

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."

― Nelson Mandela

 

Change was something she needed.

 

It was something she craved.

 

And hopefully after so many years, it was something she conquered.

 

|| 6 years later: JFK International Airport ||

 

"Su Min!" her mom called while Su Min waited in line for the baggage check. She, along with Su Min’s older brother, was standing beside the wall a couple of feet away as to not block other people trying to get by.

 

"Yeah?" Su Min called back, turning her head to meet her mom’s unchanging expression.

 

"Are you sure you're not forgetting anything?" she asked worriedly as any anxious mother would.

 

Su Min shook her head lightly. "No, I have everything," she replied as she moved up the TSA line, pulling her carry-on luggage with her ticket and passport in hand.

 

"Good, good," Mrs. Park breathed out, seeming a little bit relieved. She flashed a warm smile and continued. "Then have a safe trip dear and always be careful. Don't forget to call when you get there," she reminded her daughter while vigorously waving her hand goodbye. "Oh, and give him a big hug for me, will you?" she added, not failing to forget about her favorite person outside of their family.

 

Su Min waved back and returned a big smile, thinking how silly her mother’s favor was. She didn't have to remind her. After not seeing him for so long, of course she would shower him with the biggest hugs she could possibly give.

 

"I got it mom and I will! Oh and tell dad I said bye too!" Su Min responded.

 

"Yes, yes, have a safe flight!" Mrs. Park shouted, her hand still in their constant waving motion. Without a warning, she turned to her son, whose eyes had been glued to his phone, and elbowed him on the stomach, making him grunt. "Get off that thing and say goodbye to your sister!" she quietly yet forcefully commanded.

 

As Su Min moved up the line once more, her playful brother hollered out his own reminder.

 

"Yeodongsaeng! (Little sister)! Take good care of him! And oh! Don't forget to ask for Im Yoona's number! Your oppa needs a girlfriend! Okay?" he joked and raised his phone in the air as if signaling her to send it to him later.

 

"Ha! In your dreams. Even if I somehow got a hold of it, I'd be crazy to give it to you," Su Min replied in Korean then stuck her tongue out like a little kid before disappearing inside to find her gate.

 

Finally with peace and quiet, she headed to the airline lounge and patiently waited for her non-stop, one-way flight from New York to Seoul, but as soon as she sat down, her phone vibrated in her pocket.

 

It was a text message from her brother.

 

Kang Joon Oppa: Don’t worry, my lips are sealed.

Kang Joon Oppa: Also, I know you’ll do amazing, but if anything happens, please remember that I’m just one call away.

Kang Joon Oppa: Good luck sis. You got this.

 

Relieved, Su Min let out a soft breath and let her lips curve into a half-smile. With eyes glued to her phone screen, she reread his message a couple more times.

 

Her brother strongly opposed her taking on this job and even threatened to reveal to their parents what it is exactly she’ll be doing—or rather, who exactly she’ll be working with—but after endless pleads, he eventually gave up…and she couldn’t be more thankful that he finally agreed to keep his mouth shut and support her decision.

 

An hour later, her flight was called and she boarded the plane, mentally preparing to meet him again after so many years.

 

|| …………… ||

 

After a tiring fifteen hours in the air, the attendant's gentle voice finally rang through the plane's intercom and notified everyone about the flight's status. "Ladies and gentlemen, we have just been cleared to land at Incheon International Airport. Please make sure one last time your seatbelt is securely fastened…" she began, her voice fading off into the background as Su Min lost herself in thought.

 

After six long years, she was finally back.

 

While the stewardess continued her routinely speech, Su Min glanced out the oval window and looked down at the familiar yet foreign city below them, trying to remember all of its hidden gems and treasures. "Let's go back to where it all started…" she whispered to herself, feeling the cold glass pressed against her fingertips as she reached for this place full of memories.

 

Minutes later, the same flight attendant spoke into the microphone once more and continued the inflight announcement with rehearsed excitement. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Incheon International Airport. The local time is 10:15 A.M. and the temperature is 23º Celsius, 75º in Fahrenheit. For your safety and comfort, we ask that you remain seated…On behalf of Korean Air and the entire crew, I'd like to thank you for joining us on this trip and we look forward to seeing you on board again in the near future. Have a nice day."

 

Once the plane finally connected to the jet bridge and the cabin doors opened, Su Min got up from her seat and retrieved her carry-on luggage from the compartment. She thanked the pilots and flight attendants and headed for the exit, completely exhausted from the long flight.

 

As she exited the gate, she anxiously scanned t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter