34 | Lost in the Concrete Jungle

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

”Sometimes we can't let go of memories, because they are constant reminders of a great story we never expected to end."

— Anonymous

 

Su Min's eyes widened as Kai's confession flowed smoothly into her ears and caused her mind to enter a state of confusion. Her heart fluttered like ecstatic birds soaring into the air, yet she felt this unbearable pain digging violently into her chest.

 

How long had she held on to the thought that he was unfaithful? How many sleepless nights did she endure wondering which girl was in his arms that very moment, fighting to capture his heart? How many times had she felt helpless and stupid for remaining by side, wholeheartedly believing he was a cheater?

 

Emerging from all directions, thoughts began to cloud her head as she tried to make sense of this new revelation. No. It couldn't be that—I’m sure he did—I'm certain because—it was during that time that—or was it?

 

Su Min was confused. Endless questions roamed her head, begging to be answered. She desperately searched for years old evidence to support her enduring belief, but her quest didn’t last long. From his lack of hesitation, to the way he lowered his eyes to hide his pained expression, and the way his mellow tone wrapped around each word…she knew, in her heart, he was telling the truth.

 

Kai never cheated.

 

A silent breath seeped out of her. How could she have been so stupid not to confront him about it? How could she have been so thoughtless for not putting enough trust in him? How could she have not known about this earlier?
 

Su Min straightened her back and cleared . She was hoping her brain would subconsciously send a reply when she opens to speak. However, as she did so, not a single sound managed to escape.

 

Just then, the lights overhead began to flicker and the train halted to a sudden stop.

 

Her body jerked forward and she would've fallen off her seat if Kai's arm hadn't reached out just in time. They stared at one another, asking with their eyes if the other was okay.

 

After obtaining her answer, Su Min looked around and found herself suddenly confused. She was only realizing now that they had been on board a train going to who knows where.

 

Panicked, she peered out the window before turning back to her companion, "Why are we here?"

 

Kai raised a brow and slowly sat up, scanning his surroundings. "Why are we here?" he repeated innocently, equally baffled.

 

Su Min struck him lightly with the side of her fist out of frustration. "This is all your fault!" she hissed in annoyance.

 

"Huh? How is it my fault when you're the one who followed me!" he snapped back immediately, "Besides, shouldn't you be the one to blame? You're supposed to be my guide back to the penthouse!"

 

Thunderstruck, Su Min' jaw dropped. He wasn't wrong, but still. This guy is really something. She thought.

 

Before she could make her counterargument, a muffled announcement over the intercom—one only a New Yorker could understand—interrupted the two of them. It was something along the lines of, "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties. Our engineers are doing their best to fix the problem at hand. We apologize for the inconvenience."

 

Curious and calmer, Kai turned to her, "What did they say?"

 

Su Min glared at him for a moment and curled her lip. "They said it's your fault," she replied sharply.

 

"Ya—" he warned with a much serious and commanding tone that intimidated her into giving the correct answer.

 

After translating the slurred announcement, Kai leaned back against his seat and sighed. "Well, I'm sure it won't take that long," he commented with confidence.

 

"I hope so," Su Min mumbled under her breath after releasing a heavier sigh.

 

Much to their expectation, the train remained motionless even after thirty minutes. And the two of them eventually gave in to the silent lullabies in their heads, falling asleep with one leaning against the other.

 

|| Back at the Club ||

 

"Hyung over here!" Hyun Bin called to the 6'2" model-like figure casually scanning the place.

 

Following the familiar voice calling to him, Kang Joon made it to the cluster of men waiting to welcome him with open arms. After returning the cheerful yet tipsy greetings of his dongsaengs, and introducing himself to the rest of EXO, he turned to Chanyeol with a wide grin. "My brother-in-law

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter