18 | Type of Relationship

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Relationships don’t always make sense. Especially from the outside."

— Sarah Dessen

 

Her question stopped time even for a moment.

 

He stared at her, muted, then gradually diverted his eyes when he heard Chanyeol's footsteps returning.

 

Silence.

 

That was the only answer he ever gave.

 

|| Day of the Mini Concert ||

 

It was a quarter to seven and the sun had started to paint the sky bright orange, but for Su Min and many others, the day was far from over.

 

This was far from her first concert and she was well accustomed to the backstage scene, yet she couldn't help but feel anxious, excited, and unable to control the impatience of seeing, once again, the charismatic side to the nine idols currently in her life.

 

After freshening up and getting dressed, Su Min walked over to the vanity and sat herself in front of the oval mirror. She stared at her reflection and thought about tonight. It was going to be her first time seeing both of them perform live as members of EXO—not as a soloist nor with other artists, just EXO. Her past and her present. On the same stage. At the same time. Interesting, right?

 

With a quiet breath, she lowered her eyes to the small drawer containing the object from "way back when" and pulled on the metal handle, exposing the same camera she imprisoned six years ago.

 

She picked it up from inside its wooden cell and carefully turned it on. The manufacturer's name flashed on the screen followed by current frame the lens was capturing. Her thumb made its way to the sideways triangle plastered on the tiny silver button and circled around it, contemplating whether it was worth returning to the past.

 

Having made up her mind, Su Min gently pressed the button as if the slightest touch could somehow cause irreparable damage.

 

Within a second, the only data left in its memory appeared before her eyes.

 

She gazed at the photo intently, examining their faces stamped with wide, innocent smiles. Hit with nostalgia, her thoughts drifted back to the time she and Kai took the picture.

 

It was a warm sunny day.

 

With a gentle summer breeze.

 

And the cool, flowing stream water.

 

Their hearts filled with unbreakable love.

 

As these images became imprinted in her mind, a small part of her began to yearn for such a moment of complete happiness. And at that second, countless thoughts clouded her head, firing one scenario after another like an unceasing semi-automatic.

 

If we had done this instead of that, then maybe…

But what if we had…

No, if only we had…

 

Thankfully, her phone vibrated and instantly hauled her back to the present, dissolving these unwanted feelings.

 

She switched her attention to the text message from Woojin asking her to head straight to Hansaeng Preparatory, and double check the stage and lighting sequence, as well as order everyone to their stations. He also added a vague notification that he was most likely arrive late because of another last minute request—one he was desperately trying to prevent from materializing.

 

Su Min had no clue just what the "last minute request" was, but she knew asking for additional details would have to wait. She suddenly had both of her hands full.  

 

With her mind focused back on work, she turned off the camera and set it down on top of the vanity, not bothering to return it in its keepsake drawer, away from view. 

 

We've both moved on was what she wanted herself to believe.

 

|| Hansaeng Preparatory ||

 

Standing center stage, Su Min gazed out at the empty auditorium, imagining all 1,000 seats filled with eager fans screaming EXO's name in an unending chant, and calling out to their bias, as if the noise emerging from the top of their lungs could somehow penetrate through all the others seeking the same attention. These one thousand of the several million EXO-L lucky enough to obtain a ticket would enter the auditorium, dreaming about the moment they could finally lay eyes on their precious idols. They would take their seats and clasp their hands in admiration, knowing that without hesitation, they would do anything and everything to have even just a second with him.

 

Meanwhile backstage, the nine idols were busy preparing themselves for another performance worthy of stealing the hearts of many…causing their popularity and success to escalate to a whole nother level. While waiting for their cue, they happily groomed themselves, one hundred percent aware that this concert was another confirmation that they had made it to the top—they had made their dreams into reality.

 

"Intimidating isn't it?" a firm voice asked from behind, disrupting her thoughts.

 

Surprised, Su Min looked over her shoulder and found Woojin approaching from her left.

 

EXO's manger flashed a half-smile and stood next to her with his headset already strapped across his head, ready to get this nth concert started. He set his eyes ahead and glanced over the unfilled seats with a deep breath. "Endless hours of dance practice, voice lessons, stage fittings, interviews, and sleep deprivation all on top of intense and never ending competition," he started as he scanned the place once more, "All of that, in exchange for this."

 

Woojin let out another breath and shook his head. "I don't know how they do it, but I am sure of one thing. The nine of them always put their hearts and full effort in every performance in order to do something they love," he continued, handing her a copy of the finalized schedule, "Su Min, let's work hard also. Fighting!"

 

"You got it," she replied with the same fighting spirit and returned his enthusiastic smile. She took the clipboard from him and bowed slightly as he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter