26 | The Last Chance and a Second Promise

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"For every promise, there is price to pay."

 — Jim Rohn

 

Kai took a step closer toward Su Min, reducing the distance between them.

 

Unable to ignore him any further, she met his gaze glistening with honesty. And as she did so, his words echoed in her ears, leaving her mind scattering for a logical explanation—any explanation.

 

"I never stopped loving you."

 

Kai let out a silent breath just as his lips curved into a soft smile.

 

He said it.

 

Finally admitted it out loud.

 

Not only to himself, but more importantly, to her. And now, he wanted to repeat it. Over, and over, and over again.

 

"Su Min, I lo—"

 

"There you are!" a familiar voice interrupted, breaking the moment.

 

They both turned their heads toward the sound and saw Chanyeol approaching with his usual bright and dimpled smile.

 

Almost immediately, Su Min handed Kai the ring, and stepped back, away from him.

 

Kai turned to the side and secretly pocketed the precious metal, releasing a heavy sigh in the process. "I almost forgot about you," he whispered under his breath. Controlling his emotions, he rolled his hidden hand into a fist and put on a false smile to greet his group member and close friend.

 

"O—what were you two doing?" Chanyeol asked innocently, glancing at both of them. On the final glance, he settled his narrowed eyes on Kai and pursed his lips as if trying to read the situation.

 

Oh god…Chanyeol please, don’t. Su Min begged mentally.

 

Her best friend kept his playful glare and crossed his arms. "Kim Jongin, you're not trying to steal Su Min away from me, are you?" he joked.

 

Slowly, Kai's smile turned into a daring smirk. "Can I?" he answered with a hint of seriousness only Su Min could detect.

 

She looked at him and with her eyes, pleaded him to stop, but her ex-boyfriend simply ignored her. After all, this was his chance to make things clear to the second person it mattered most.

 

But before Chanyeol could respond or Kai could say another word, Su Min grabbed a hold of her best friend's arm and dragged him toward the direction he came from. "Let's go," she told him with hurried footsteps.

 

Once far enough, she secretly glanced back. Kai was still standing in the same spot, his feet firmly planted on the resin floor. The same half-smirk, half-smile was still plastered on his face, unchanging.

 

|| …………… ||

 

As they walked down the hall, Su Min's mind subconsciously drifted back to Kai's confessions. And like an empty vessel, she stared blankly ahead. She still could hear Chanyeol's muffled voice beside her, but his words merely flowed into one ear and out the other.

 

Without noticing, she gradually slowed down her pace while her grip on his arm loosened. Her hand eventually fell back to her side and she came to a full stop.

 

Just now realizing her inattentiveness, Chanyeol halted and turned to her. "Su Min," he called in a soft voice, "you okay?"

 

Su Min met his worried gaze for a brief second and without responding, she wrapped her arms around him and leaned her head against his chest. For the first time, she didn't care where they were. She didn't think about being seen. All she wanted in this moment was to hold him—the person who has been and continues to be her pillar of strength.

 

Chanyeol froze for a second, surprised by her sudden actions, but returned the hug nonetheless. "Are you okay?" he repeated calmly.

 

Su Min nodded in response. "I'm fine," she whispered.

 

What a selfish girl. She thought. How horrible of me.

 

It was obvious that her mind had been elsewhere this entire time, yet she couldn't even bring herself to apologize.

 

"Tell me what's wrong," Chanyeol demanded patiently, keeping her protected in his warm embrace, "Did Jongin bully you again?"

 

Su Min laughed softly at his silly assumption. "No," she replied as she lifted her head and released him from her arms. "I'm just a little tired, that's all," she lied to keep him from worrying even more. She took in a deep breath and smiled, changing the subject in the process, "Did you need me for something?"

 

"Hm, not really," he answered.

 

Confused, Su Min stared at him, "Then?"

 

Chanyeol let out a short chuckle and ran his fingers through his hair. "Uh…" he began, hesitating for a moment. "I…um…actually came to get Jongin," he confessed, pointing behind him.

 

Oops.

 

Embarrassed, she bit her lower lip and met his gaze with an apologetic smile, "Oh. Sorry."

 

Her best friend let out another laugh—a forgiving one this time. "Don't worry about it," he assured her, "I'm sure one of the guys already dragged him back to the practice room." He then smiled and lightly patted her head. "Don't work too hard," he ordered as he tuned to leave.

 

After taking a just couple of steps away from her, Chanyeol turned back around and stole a quick peck on the cheek. "I'll stop by the office later tonight. I got permission to go home together," he informed her before happily running away. 

 

Su Min responded with an enthusiastic nod and watched him disappear around the corner, her smile fading into nothing.

 

Can't it be you?

 

 Just you?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter