25 | A Love Re-Confession

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"When I listen to my heart, it whispers your name."

— Anonymous

 

A rush of adrenalin infused with panic consumed Su Min.

 

Suddenly, the unthinkable thought entered her head. Don't tell me he—

 

She set the ring and note on top of the vanity, and quickly dropped to her knees. She frantically looked around while her hands extended in every direction―opening every drawer within reach, rummaging through make-up bags, reaching under furniture―all in an effort to find her treasured camera.

 

Coming up empty-handed, she eventually gave up.

 

Su Min closed her eyes and breathed in deeply, trying to untangle the countless knots in her stomach. She knew she should've put the device away—or better yet—she shouldn't have taken it out in the first place. But then again, she had no idea things would turn out the way they did.

 

Su Min stop it. Just stop it. She commanded herself. There was no use in making up excuses and pondering whether it could've been prevented if she had done this instead of that. What's done is done.

 

Slowly, she got up off the floor, grabbing the note and ring once more. With both objects in hand, she walked over to the bed and sat on the foot of the mattress accompanied with a deep sigh.

 

She glanced at the note one last time then raised the ring to her eye level. She examined the circular metal carefully as if she was staring at Kai himself. "Kim Jongin," she began in a low, tired voice, "what are you doing?"

 

|| …………… ||

 

As much as Su Min wanted―or rather, needed―to talk to Kai regarding the matter, their schedules simply did not permit it. While EXO was busy with their individual shows and guest appearances, she was preoccupied with teleconferences, in-person meetings, research reports, and presentation materials.

 

Luckily, almost a week after finding the ring and note, she finally managed to corner him while he made his way to the cafeteria for a drink.

 

"Give it back," Su Min ordered, crossing her arms with a demanding—and hopefully intimidating—look painted on her face.

 

"Give what back?" Kai responded tiredly without lifting his eyes off the iced coffee dispenser.

 

This jerk. She thought. Feigning innocence.

 

He was really making her say it.

 

Su Min breathed in deeply and exhaled slowly, trying her best to contain the looming wave of frustration. "My camera," she answered plainly.

 

With his gaze still trained on the flowing liquid, Kai pretended to consider what he mistook was a request. After a second or so, he pursed his lips and tilted his head. "I don't want to," he replied, which was the answer he was going to give in the first place. He then lifted the paper cup to his lips and took a sip. "By the way, it's not your camera," he added nonchalantly as if trying to get under her skin.

 

Taken in disbelief, a small burst of air escaped her lungs. What did he mean it wasn't her camera?

 

Kai refilled his cup with a second serving after gulping down the first, and answered the question she hadn't yet asked. "We bought it together and you've had it for years. I think it's about time I get to keep it," he told her casually.

 

Exhausted from all the work she had been tackling—and now from his childish responses—Su Min took another a breath and once again exhaled slowly. She closed her eyes for a moment and accepted the fact there was no point in arguing with a sleep deprived, stubborn, and uncooperative Kai.

 

Once she calmed down, Su Min regained her vision and raised the ring enclosed in her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter