17 | A Night with EXO

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Happy is he who learns to bear what he cannot change."

— Friedrich Schiller

 

While the members settled down, Su Min snuck back to the kitchen with a curious little duckling tailing close behind her.

 

Wondering what was being prepared, Lay peeked over her shoulder as she dropped the fettuccine pasta into the salted boiling water. With his chef instincts kicking in, he picked up the freshly chopped herbs, smelled them, then tasted the grated parmesan at arm's length.

 

Su Min quietly observed him from the corners of her eyes while he instinctively grabbed this and that as if he was in his own kitchen. "Would you like to help me?" she finally managed to ask after watching for some time.

 

"Oh, no I'm good," he replied, continuing to inspect the counter of ingredients.

 

Knowing he was itching to get his hands on a knife and chop away, Su Min chuckled to herself and asked again, "Are you sure?"

 

Lay bit his lower lip upon hearing her repeated invitation and thought hard. He then smiled at her with twinkling eyes and answered, "Can I?"

 

She returned the smile and turned her attention to the other host of tonight's festivities. "Of course. Just get—" she started, but was unable to get the last few words out in time.

 

Without waiting for her to finish, Lay charged toward Chanyeol, and forced him out of the apron before he had a chance to react or even realize what was happening. After a couple of twirls and surprisingly tricky untying, the determined chef finally took possession of the blue apron. "Yeobo~ (dear)," he called as he made his way back to the kitchen, leaving behind his stunned and dizzy member.

 

"Yes dear?" Su Min replied with another smile and played along.

 

"Your most adorable hubby's here to help!" he responded as he took his place next to her.

 

Finally snapping out of his temporary state of confusion, Chanyeol let out a delayed yell that startled both chefs, and caused the rest to laugh.

 

|| …………… ||

 

Less than an hour later, Lay and Su Min emerged with plates after plates of various dishes. After they finished arranging the last entrée, they observed from a distance just how appetizingly beautiful everything looked. From the bowls of tossed salad and chestnut soup, to the plates of seafood Alfredo and garlic bread, everything was mouthwateringly delicious.

 

For the executive chef and her sous chef, it was mission complete.

 

As they praised themselves for a job well done, Lay put an arm around Su Min’s shoulder and gave her a high five. "Between the two of us, I think we're more suited for each other. So what do you say, Su Min? Leave that loser and come to me instead," he whispered jokingly, making sure it was within Chanyeol's hearing range.

 

Sure enough, his anticipated response arrived within milliseconds after those words escaped his mouth.

 

"Ya Xiang Yixing!" Chanyeol barked with furrowed brows. Just like before, he pulled Su Min away from the flirtatious chef and acted as a human shield, causing another round of laughter amongst s, including Kai, who secretly tried his hardest to push his feelings aside.

 

|| …………… ||

 

Not only was dinner prepared fairly quickly, it was also devoured within minutes by nine hungry idols.

 

After fighting over the last piece of honey roasted chicken, the finger pointing to who should receive the honor of doing the dishes commenced. Being little bullies, they elected to use the seniority card and looked to the maknae, who quickly protested for a fair game of rock, paper, scissors.

 

Seeing how childish they could be, Su Min couldn't help but laugh. Their current behavior seemed like a complete one-eighty compared to the overflowing charisma they usually show on stage.

 

Once she’s had her fill of their hilarious bickering, she took the liberty to interrupt and deliver the good news. "I'll do the dishes," she announced, silencing them instantly.

 

Without so much as the common courtesy of initially refusing her offer, the seven men flew from their seats, migrated to the living room, and the 72" smart TV.

 

Su Min shook her head and restrained her grin. Such gentlemen. She thought.

 

While the seven scattered themselves on either the couch or the carpet, she, Kai, and Chanyeol remained seated at the table, eyeing each other back and forth.

 

Just then, Chanyeol turned to Kai. "It's fine, we'll clean up here," he stated nicely as he got up to gather the dishes.

 

Ignoring his statement, Kai also stood up and stole the utensils from Chanyeol's hand. "No," he refuted, "you go entertain them. I'll help her."

 

"No, I'm the host so just make yourself comfortable," Chanyeol countered, moving on to pick up the plates.

 

"Technically, Su Min’s the host. I'm also the younger one between the two of us; therefore, I should be the one doing it," Kai replied and once again robbed Chanyeol of the tableware already in his possession. 

 

Caught by surprise, Chanyeol let out a short laugh. "Since when did you use age as an excuse?" he asked, amused.

 

"Always. Hyung-nim," Kai answered with a straight face.

 

While the two continued to snatch things from each other's hands, Su Min stared at the both of them, suddenly riddled with specks of awkwardness and guilt. In front of her stood her present and her past, arguing over dishes, with one completely unaware of the relationship she previously had with the other. If they were already this worked-up about such a small thing like washing plates, then just how tense would it be if and when Chanyeol finally finds out the truth?

 

"Su Min, will you be okay working with Kai?" Chanyeol asked once the victor disappeared in the kitchen with stacks of dinnerware cradled in both hands. Failing to receive an answer, her best friend waved his hand in front of her face and called once more, "Park Su Min. Yoo-hoo."

 

His best friend shook her head lightly and broke from her train of thoughts. "Uh, yeah. Yes," she answered mindlessly without even realizing his question.

 

"Alright then," Chanyeol replied with a smile and ruffled her hair before joining the others.

 

Yes? She asked herself. What did I just agree to?

 

"Su Min," a cool voice interrupted from behind.

 

She turned around and froze on the spot. The sight of Kai wearing the couple apron, with his gloved hands holding up the sponge and soap, instantly and completely took her by surprise.

 

"Do you have more dish soap?" he continued, shaking the empty bottle.

 

"Huh? Dish So…? Uh…umm…un—under the sink," she struggled to answer while attempting to understand what the hell was happening. 

 

After putting herself back together and finally grasping the situation, she entered the kitchen and positioned herself beside him, making sure to leave enough space in between. "You don't have to help me with the dishes you know," she began, keeping her eyes lowered, and her tone as friendly and normal as possible.

 

"I know, but it'll be faster if I do," he replied with a smile. "Besides, it's just like old times," he added quite loudly as Su Min reached for the sudsy plate in his hand.

 

A sudden rush of anxiety immediately filled her body. She knew it was impossible for the others to hear their quiet conversation from the other room, but still…the thought of EXO catching a whiff of their past stirred something unwanted inside her. Though she always kept it in the back of her mind that they'd eventually find out, tonig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter