8 | A Sweet Welcome Home

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Friendship gives us the strength to turn from lambs into lions."

― Stephen Richards

 

How many? She wondered, thinking back to Kai's expression. How many floating question marks and exclamation points had accumulated over his head since seeing me? Many. I'm sure.

 

With her downcast eyes, Su Min followed her best friend blindly as they made their way to the elevator and up to SM's rooftop garden.

 

Chanyeol led her silently outside, toward the surprise event he secretly worked on all day with help from their manager and stylist. "Are you ready?" he asked over his shoulder, getting her attention.

 

Su Min looked up just as he stepped to the side, revealing the simple yet romantic dinner he had set up for the two of them. Her eyes widened slightly at sight of what was in front of her. "Chanyeol…" she whispered as she stepped onto the pebbled ground and examined the place with awe, letting her gaze dart from one corner to another.

 

The large open balcony ahead was covered with lights. From its black railings to the tall green hedges surrounding the place, everything was beautifully illuminated. To her left was a swing for two, complete with fluffy throw pillows and soft blankets. Its wooden frame was lined with warm, star-like intertwining lights that ran down to the ground. Across from it, smack in the middle of the garden, an umbrella-covered table occupied the open space. Two plates, empty wine glasses, and a metal cloche sat nicely on top of the white tablecloth. It was like a scene ripped out from a romantic movie and made into something real.

 

While her gaze remained fixed on the awestriking image in front of her, Chanyeol quietly slid to the side and picked up the bouquet of flowers he had hidden behind one of the giant vases.

 

Just as Su Min turned around to express her amazement, she was met with the lovely bouquet instead of the smiling face she was expecting. She stared at cluster of pink lilies with slightly opened, completely lost for words.

 

Upon seeing her expression, Chanyeol broadened his smile and handed her the fragrant gift. "Welcome back," he stated as sweetly and charmingly as he could.

 

"Ya…" she replied faintly, overwhelmed by his preparations. Chanyeol was able to prepare such a romantic event despite his hectic schedule. As much as she wanted to express her gratitude, a simple "thank you" just wasn't enough…and so, for the longest time, she remained mute, oblivious of which words should follow.

 

Still with that lovable smile, Chanyeol took her hand and escorted her to the table, pulling out her chair like a true gentleman. He then took his seat across from her—whom he referred to as "the epitome of beauty and perfection"—without shifting his gaze even once.

 

Su Min let out a quiet sigh as she stared back at him. This guy…Really. She thought.

 

She had no doubts he would go to the ends of the Earth just to make her happy, but how many more heart-tugging, cringe-worthy lines would he throw her way?

 

After some seconds of silent communication, she flashed smile and picked up her chopsticks, biting them lightly. "Ahhh~ I'm so hungry," she announced as she reached for the stainless dome cover. She didn't really have time to eat anything since her plane landed, and all day long, her stomach had been begging for something warm and delicious. But as she was about to reveal tonight's dinner and fulfill her craving, Chanyeol stopped her.

 

Su Min shifted her eyes from his hand and looked at him with a raised eyebrow, "What?"

 

Her best friend awkwardly smiled in response and scratched his head without letting go of the cover. "Sorry," he apologized as if suddenly embarrassed of his preparations.

 

"Chanyeol, what?" she asked again, more demanding this time.

 

"Uh...well...you see...um…" he struggled to explain.

 

"Park Chanyeol," she warned with a rather icy tone, starting to get impatient. A starving woman had to have her food, and she had to have it now.

 

Chanyeol let out a defeated sigh. "It's jjajangmyeon," he answered with disappointment as he lowered his gaze.

 

Taking this opportunity to , Su Min frowned. She set down her chopsticks and sat back on her seat, pretending to be upset. "Pfft. You set all this up for jjajangmyeon? You just had to ruin the moment, didn’t you?" she joked.

 

Hearing those words, Chanyeol quickly looked up and stared at her with brows stitched together. "Ya!" he yelled, showing a sudden change in character. "You know how hard I worked on this? I've been running around all day trying to—" he countered.

 

Su Min let out a loud laugh upon seeing his flustered face. "You're too cute Park Chanyeol. You. Are. Too. Cute," she started, leaning forward once more. "I'm totally kidding. Jjajangmyeon or whatever it may be, I love it. It's perfect," she assured him. She really didn't mind what they were going to have for dinner. Right now, her main priority was silencing the grumbling complaints of her stomach. Next to that, was having a wonderful, long overdue meal with her best friend.

 

"Really?" he asked with puppy dog eyes as he slowly reverted to his sweet self.

 

Su Min gave him a promising smile and a quick nod. "Really, it's delicious," she answered even before tasting the food. With that, she lifted the cover and waited for the scent of black bean noodles to embrace her nose.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter