38 | An Unexpected Situation

Because of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The unexpected is usually what brings the unbelievable."
— Mandy Kellogg Rye

 

|| Back to Present ||

 

After an awkward conversation and a long, tiring, and mostly quiet ride, the train came to a stop as it finally arrived at their destination.

 

The two of them woke up from their nth nap on this journey, and gathered their things without a word to each other.

 

Once he was set and ready, Kai turned to Su Min with the lower half of his face buried under a thick scarf. "I'll go ahead," he told her, sliding the divider open, "Have fun with your grandparents and Merry Christmas."

 

"You as well. Merry Christmas," Su Min replied with a simple nod then went back to putting her things together.

 

With no words left to say, he flashed an unseen pursed smile. "Thanks," he responded quietly before leaving.

 

|| …………… ||

 

Kai exited the train and looked around the semi-empty platform, expecting to be greeted with the loud cheery voice of his mother. As he took a step closer toward the station’s exit, he felt his lower hip vibrate. Securing the bag on his shoulder, he reached into his pocket for his phone and answered the call.

 

"Jongin-ah!" a semi-high pitched voice screamed into the speaker.

 

"Hello? Omma, where are you?" he responded, once again scanning the desolate area.

 

"Omo! You’re already there?" she replied followed by momentary pause. "Oh, what to do? What to do? You see…no, um—how should I explain this?" his mom struggled to start.

 

Another pause.

 

"You see, because of the inclement weather, the church called for a last minute charity event for those unable to celebrate with their families, and was in need of volunteers. Your father and I couldn't refuse due to our positions as heads…I'm sorry I couldn't reach you in time. We've been really busy with the preparations," she explained.

 

Kai let out a sigh, a little upset that he now had to take another train back to Seoul, when he just spent hours sitting in one. "I understand. I'll catch the next train back and help out where I can. We should at least be able to spend Christmas together that way," he told her calmly.

 

"Okay, okay. I'm really sorry son, but thank you for being so understanding. Have a safe trip and call us when you get to the station," Mrs. Kim replied before hanging up.

 

With his phone in hand, Kai made his way to the only open service window, and asked for a return ticket to Seoul as he slid his payment through the small slot.

 

"I'm sorry sir, but the last train just left a couple of minutes ago," the sales clerk informed him, sliding back the money, "there won't be another one until after the Christmas holidays."

 

Upon hearing this news, Kai looked up from his wallet, and stared at the man behind the glass. "I'm sorry?" he asked, wide-eyed and dumbstruck.

 

|| …………… ||

 

As Su Min stepped off the train, she immediately spotted Kai pacing in circles with his phone to his ears, and a troubled look painted on his face.

 

She paused on the spot and observed him from a distance.

 

Should I? Or should I not? She debated in her head, her eyes never straying away from his figure.

 

After contemplating whether or not to approach him, her curiosity eventually got the best of her. With her small luggage in tow, she headed over to where he was to check if everything was okay.

 

"Yeah, mom. I know," Kai sighed into the speaker, ending the call just as Su Min reached him. Sensing her presence, he took a quick glanced at her before turning his attention back to the device.

 

His expression didn’t look too well, so something must have definitely gone wrong.

 

"Everything okay?" Su Min asked worriedly.

 

Seeing her concern, Kai flashed a weak smile. "I'd like to say yes, but no, not really. My parents can’t make it because of a last minute thing for church, and I was going to take a train back, but the last one unfortunately left already," he explained rather calmly.

 

"Oh…" Su Min breathed out in a soft whisper, then met his eyes, "So, what are you planning to do now?"

 

Kai released a loud

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter