Recovery Day

The Girls of Summer

Chaewon woke up to a knock on the door. Slowly, she blinked her eyes open and immediately pouted. Despite the fact that she was exhausted last night, she had only slept properly for an hour or two. The nerves in her belly had kept her awake all night. Hyejoo was clearly feeling the same because as soon as she heard the noise, she flopped over and covered her head with her pillow. 

She had always thought it was a cliche for first kisses to happen during truth or dare, or during summer camp, or somehow during both. But shockingly, it had happened to her, with a girl she was already starting to fall for. It had been definitely awkward, not only because Hyejoo was obviously just as inexperienced as her but because all of the other girls had been watching! But secretly...Chaewon didn't want it any other way. She wasn't even that mad at Jiwoo; she had gotten to kiss Hyejoo after all. She wasn't sure that would have happened without her dare. 

She couldn't stop thinking about it. Hyejoo's dark hair falling around her, Hyejoo leaning in first, Hyejoo's pretty triangle lips kissing on her plush ones, Hyejoo just so close to her. The feeling afterwards too, of her heart blooming and her body trembling and her tummy dancing in circles. That half a second where they had the courage to look at each other, Hyejoo's unbelivably pretty face looking just as blown away as she had felt. The little glance she had spared at Hyejoo after they had scurried back to their own seats, seeing her cute cheeks all pretty and pink. Even Yeojin saying it had been cute. Her heart beat hard just thinking about it all. 

The knock resounded through the cabin again, and Yerim sat up in her bed. "Come in!" Yerim said and even her voice didn't have quite the same cheer as normal. As soon as Yerim spoke the girls from cabin E1 (Jungeun, Jinsoul, Jiwoo, Sooyoung, Vivi, and Haseul) came in, looking around at everyone. 

"We thought we were tired," Jungeun teased and Jinsoul laughed, hanging off of her arm. 

"I didn't get even a little bit of sleep last night," Heejin whined, rubbing her eyes. 

"Me too," Jiwoo mumbled. 

"Aw, first kiss nerves," Jinsoul cooed at them. All the girls who had kissed someone last night glared at her. 

"The rest of us are tired too anyways," Haseul added. 

"Did we miss breakfast?" Hyunjin mumbled as Jiwoo and Sooyoung sat down on the floor. 

"I'm pretty sure we all slept through it. It's hot and bright out," Vivi explained. 

" I'm hungry!" Yeojin groaned, getting up and out of bed. "Yesterday we didn't get breakfast either." 

"I'm not that hungry to be honest," Chaewon mumbled. 

"Isn't there cereal in the back of the dining hall?" Hyejoo asked. 

"Oh yeah!" Yerim answered, brightening up. "Do people want some?" 

Everyone agreed and Yerim wrote down what flavors they wanted on their phone. 

"I'm coming with you," Yeojin groaned, and Yerim got out of bed. "I need fresh air. It smells weird in here." 

The two thirteen year olds went out to get the cereal and everyone else settled around the cabin, prepping for their cozy day inside. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Hyunjin had migrated over to Heejin's bed, the two actually falling back asleep, Vivi and Haseul snuck into her bed to hang out. Yerim had passed around their cereal and the girls were munching it, looking around at the other cabin. Most people were either just talking with one other person or playing on their phone or falling asleep. That's just what Vivi and Haseul were doing, seeking the privacy of a top bunk. Haseul had been surprised when Vivi had even suggested this, surprised that Vivi would even want to be slightly alone with her. But there was no way Haseul was going to say no. 

"Yesterday was...crazy," Vivi said, and Haseul nodded. 

"Oh my gosh yes. I can't believe Heejin is straight!" Really, Haseul didn't care that much, she was just glad to hear Vivi wasn't straight. 

Vivi chuckled at that. "Yeah, me too. But I think the craziest part was all of the kissing." 

Haseul flushed a bit at that; she had been extremely jealous of everyone who had gotten to kiss someone. She was glad Vivi didn't remember or just wasn't brinigng up Haseul admitting that the girl at camp she would want to date was Vivi. At least it had been fun when Vivi took off her shirt and watching the girls kiss. 

"I mean, it's truth or dare! Par for the course," Haseul answered with a little laugh, trying to seem casual. 

Vivi sighed deeply and looked down at her lap. "You know...it would've been nice to kiss someone," she said even more quietly than normal before looking right at Haseul, staring pointedly. 

Haseul was frozen. What did it mean? Why would Vivi invite her up to be alone in the private bed, then tell her she wanted to kiss someone last night, then stare at her for an extended period of time? She was just impossible to decipher. 

Haseul agreed. Haseul had wanted to kiss someone too and badly. But what if Vivi thought she was weird? What if Vivi knew it was her Haseul wanted to kiss and got uncomfortable? Haseul couldn't admit it to Vivi. It would just end in disaster. 

"Kissing?" Haseul said a little too loudly and snorted. "Kissing...kissing is weird. Who thought of it? Like who invented kissing? That's where your food goes. And where spit comes from. Like, ew much? Whoever invented kissing was a real freak. Really."

Vivi grimaced and looked Haseul up and down. "Um....okay." 

Haseul stared at her lap. Was that the wrong thing to say? Vivi hadn't move but she had pulled out her phone to play a game, clearly not wanting to talk anymore. No...it was the right thing. Vivi couldn't know. 

~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as Sooyoung and Jiwoo had gotten to the other girl's cabin they sat down on the floor in the corner of the room in silence. Sooyoung had not slept a wink last night and neither had Jiwoo, clearly: the normally bright eyed girl had dark circles and Sooyoung heard her tossing and turning all night. She thought her and Jiwoo were weird; Vivi and Haseul and Jungeun and Jinsoul, their cabin mates, slept just fine. They were all tired but not like Sooyoung and Jiwoo, forcing them to get out of bed and go see what the other girls were up to. Sooyoung was relieved to find that the girls in the other cabin were just as sleep deprived as them. 

Sooyoung knew why: it was her and their first kisses. As much as she didn't want to admit it Jinsoul was right. Her older sister had told her all about it: the lack of sleep and an appetite, the nerves that followed you around the whole next day, and she was surprised to find out it was true. Judging by the way Chaewon and Hyejoo kissed it was their first time, and it was obviously Heejin's first time kissing a girl. Hyunjin just seemed exhausted in general (probably because of her endless pining). But it was Sooyoung's first kiss too. It wasn't something she shared; online she seemed like this cool, confident, experienced e-girl. But inside she was just a clueless fifteen year old lesbian like most of her other peers. 

But for some reason...she wanted Jiwoo to know. She couldn't explain why, but maybe she wanted Jiwoo to know just how much it meant to her. 

"Hey Jiwoo?" she asked in a tired, gravely voice. 

"Mmh-hmm?" Jiwoo responded. Even when she was beyond exhausted she seemed so bubbly and bright. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" 

Jiwoo nodded. "Of course." 

Sooyoung cleared . "Last night...that was my first kiss." 

Jiwoo's jaw dropped in surprise. "Really? But you're so-" 

Sooyoung sighed. "I know. I know I act so grown up online but... I'm just... I'm still figuring things out." 

Jiwoo giggled. "I was gonna say you're so good. But I was curious about that too." Sooyoung smiled and looked off to the side. "Actually," Jiwoo spoke again, her voice a bit more serious. "That was my first kiss too." 

"Really?" Sooyoung asked. She was genuinely surprised. "But you're so beautiful!" 

"Sooyoung!" Jiwoo whined, smiling and blushing. 

"I mean it. I'm actually surprised by that." 

"I'm surprised by you too!" They played that avoiding eye contact game for a moment or two before Jiwoo spoke up again. 

"Sooyoung?" The girl looked up. "I'm glad it was you. I'm so, so glad you were my first kiss." 

Sooyoung bit her lip and looked away, trying to control herself. 

"I'm glad it was you too," Sooyoung admittedly softly, almost too quiet for Jiwoo to hear. 

Sooyoung looked up, Jiwoo smiled, and Sooyoung knew she was ed. She likes Jiwoo. She definitely, definitely likes Jiwoo.