Teen Dance

The Girls of Summer

During dinnertime, counselor Nayeon approached the girls. 

"Tonight's the teen dance! It's everyone's favorite activity. You guys should come along!" 

"Is it like... a school dance?" Hyejoo asked with a grimace. She had been to one dance at her middle school and the fourty five minutes she'd stayed had been hell. Although, maybe it wouldn't be so bad now that she actually had a date. 

"Well, technically the set up is the same but it's way more fun. Trust me, I was a camper once too. And the sixteen to eighteens love it too," Nayeon explained. 

The girls hummed and looked at each other. It sounded...okay, but usually the sixteen to eighteens knew what activities were fun. 

Haseul finally looked up at Nayeon and nodded. "Alright. We'll be there." 

Nayeon grinned. "Great ladies! See you at eight thirty by the bridge." 

~~~~~~~~~~

At eight thirty five the girls arrived at the bridge by the stream, with counselor Nayeon, and her campers already waiting for them. 

"Let's go!" Nayeon said, and lead the big group of girls up and around the woods, over to the seemingly abandoned cabin where they'd had the teen sing a long. The girls could already hear the bass pumping. 

The sixteen to eighteens entered first and Jinsoul grinned, gripping her girlfriend's wrist and tugging her in. 

The decor seemed like something out of a cheesy high school dance but it was so dark in there that it was hard to really tell. The only lights were flashing strobe lights, clearly very old, but still worked enough to be atmospheric (and somehow it was even better). There was water and some snacks in the corner, and through the flashing of the lights the girls could see counselor Jeongyeon DJing the even on her laptop. 

"Do you like this kind of thing?" Jungeun yelled over the music with a chuckle. 

Jinsoul shrugged and smiled. "I'm a cheerleader. This kind of thing is my job." 

That's why Jungeun didn't mind when Jinsoul pulled her closer to dance. Sooyoung and Jinsoul had brought a little makeup and glitter so the girls had gone wild, doing themselves up and wearing the nicest and funnest clothes they had brought. And Jungeun thought Jinsoul looked stunning, with her dark hair, tube top and denim skirt, blue glitter covering her eyelids and bare shoulders. 

Jinsoul giggled and turned around, pressing her back up against Jungeun and circling her hips. "," Jungeun mumbled, holding onto her perfect, perfect girlfriend's hips. 

"No! No grinding!" Nayeon suddenly yelled to the pair. Jungeun conjured up the worst death glare she could possibly muster but Jinsoul just smiled, wrapping her arms around her girlfriend's neck. 

"Well," she spoke loudly. "It was worth a try." 

Meanwhile Jiwoo and Sooyoung had quickly entered the cabin as well, dancing like they knew how (because they sort of kind of did). No insecurity, no uncomfortableness lingered between them or around them, and their confidence was kind of infectious. 

Just then counselor Jeongyeon put on Say So by Doja Cat and Sooyoung and Jiwoo shared a sly smile. 

"Are we gonna do the dance?" Sooyoung asked. 

Jiwoo giggled loudly. "Of course we are!" 

So when it got to the right part of the song for the tik tok challenge the girls started, no shame on them, doing this dance like they had done it a million times, because they had. And to their surprise a circle started up around them, of the older girls and their friends and even counselor Nayeon watching with impressed eyes. Even when the tik tok part ended everyone watched and Sooyoung and Jiwoo shared a look, a look as they passed by each other on the floor. Sooyoung couldn't even imagine how fun this would be when they were older and could go to a real club together. 

"You two look like professionals!" One of the seventeen year olds yelled over the music. 

Sooyoung and Jiwoo shared a bright grin. "That's because we are!" 

But not everyone was so confident. In the corner of the cabin Hyejoo and Chaewon were cowering by the snacks, awkwardly bopping their heads along to the music. 

"I hate dances," Hyejoo admitted. 

"What?" Chaewon yelled over the music.

"I hate dances!" Hyejoo screamed.

"Me too," Chaewon answered very loudly. "My friends always drag me to the school ones. And at all the Bar Mitzvahs I went to this year I always hid in the bathroom during the dance part." 

"It's just too awkward," Hyejoo yelled. 

"Agreed," Chaewon answered. 

Chaewon reached over and held Hyejoo's hand and squeezed, understanding each other without question. 

"But...if they have a slow dance...do you wanna slow dance?" Hyejoo asked, her voice going up about five octaves at the end. 

Chaewon giggled and blushed, looking down at the floor. Even though her and Hyejoo were girlfriends now, romantic stuff still made her shy. "Yeah," she answered. 

Hyejoo watched her with a smile; Chaewon was wearing one of her usual pretty dresses and a pink lipstick borrowed from Jinsoul that just suited her so well she thought she would die. And Chaewon watched Hyejoo back, still wearing her usual all black oversized tees and doc martens but heavy dark eye makeup that Chaewon was kind of obsessed with. 

But the girls would not be allowed to linger off to the side for long. 

"Guys!" Yerim screamed, running over and tugging on Hyejoo's arm. 

"Yeah, what are you doing? This is a dance! Not a stand by the snacks!" Yeojin added, gripping Chaewon's arm. 

"I don't dance," Hyejoo said firmly. 

"Come on! Loosen up! Have fun!" Yeojin said, the pair trying to drag the new couple into the middle of the dance floor. 

"But I can't! I'm so awkward!" Chaewon loudly whined. 

"Me too," Hyejoo groaned. 

"We had to drag you guys in here in the first place. But we did it, and we're willing to drag you guys out to dance," Yerim spoke firmly. 

Chaewon and Hyejoo shared a look; maybe if they were together it wouldn't be so bad. 

"Fine," they spoke simoultaneously. They let Yerim and Yeojin drag them out into the dance floor, bopping to the music and brushing their hair out of their eyes. 

"You guys aren't half bad!" Yeojin said. 

"Really?" Chaewon asked with genuine surprise. 

"Yeah! Now let go and you'll be really good!" Yerim answered. 

So hesitantly, Chaewon and Hyejoo got more and more into the music, letting go further with every pulse of the beat. And finally, they were dancing. 

"This isn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be!" Hyejoo shouted. 

"Same!" Chaewon answered. 

"We told you!" Yeojin and Yerim cried. 

Now that Chaewon and Hyejoo were dancing, Yeojin searched the room for more of her friends who weren't. Soon enough her eyes landed on Vivi. Although she didn't look uncomfortable like Chaewon and Hyejoo (in fact she looked pretty happy), Yeojin was not going to let anyone get out of dancing. So, she walked over to her friend. 

"What's up? Why aren't you dancing?" Yeojin yelled accusingly. 

Vivi just chuckled and Yeojin followed her line of sight to see Haseul dancing her little heart out in the middle of the dance floor. Immediately upon seeing Haseul dance she snorted. 

"Damn," Yeojin mumbled, turning her gaze to Vivi. But in her eyes all she could find was love, no teasing or embarrassment. 

"She's so bad. She's such a bad dancer," Vivi said affectionately. Yeojin laughed harder, more at Vivi's fondness than Haseul even (although Haseul was pretty hilarious). 

"Go dance with her," Yeojin said, just barely loud enough for Vivi to hear. 

Vivi grinned at the thirteen year old. "I think I will." And with that Vivi dipped into the crowd, tightly hugging her girlfriend and kissing her cheek. "I love you so much!" She called into her ear. 

Just as Vivi spoke the music switched, slowing down into a ballad. "This is the last song of the night!" Jeongyeon called to the crowd. 

Everyone made a disappointed noise but found partners to slow dance with, swaying to the music. 

Heejin and Hyunjin were dancing in a big group but immediately found each other, Heejin's hands on Hyunjin's shoulders and Hyunjin's on her waist. Pressed close together, Heejin rested her head on Hyunjin's shoulder and looked around at her friends, all of the couples and even Yeojin and Yerim holding onto each other and dancing, awkwardness fading as the song moved along. 

But Heejin quickly brought her attention back to the girl she had fallen for so hard, the girl who had changed her life. 

"It's so sweet," Heejin mumbled. 

"What is, this?" Hyunjin asked, almost in a whisper. 

"Yeah. And...and...it's so sweet, to be loved by you." 

Hyunjin smiled mischeviously. "Are you saying you know that I love you?" 

Heejin chuckled and pressed her face back into Hyunjin's shoulder. "Am I?" 

"You're right," Hyunjin whispered. 

"I love you too," Heejin grumbled shyly into Hyunjin's shoulder. 

Hyunjin giggled at her and Heejin looked up at her with shy, blushing cheeks. "Thank god you're so damn cute."