Tie Dye

The Girls of Summer

After breakfast the next day, there was the constant dilemma: what should the girls do? 

"I thought I saw tie dye stuff set up by the art shack," Chaewon suggested. Tie dye meant no sports so her and Hyejoo were on board. 

"That sounds fun!" Yerim answered. The girls all agreed, and headed down to the art shack. 

When they arrived tie dye stuff had been set up: long picnic tables with tubs of color dyed water and condiment dispensors with more concentrated colors, with plastic baggies and rubber bands on the ends of each table. 

"Hi girls! You all got here at the right time; the five to sevens are coming after lunch," Chaeyoung said excitedly, handing each of them an oversized white t-shirt. "I have two of these for every camper, but if you want to tie dye other things we've got lots of white clothing at the store! Now, who needs some instructions?" 

Half of the girls raised their hands while the other half went down to the store, grabbing white blankets and pants and shirts that said camp pink on them with their free passes that they won at the scavenger hunt, so that all of them could practically have a whole wardrobe of tie dye. And then, they got to work. 

Yeojin and Yerim had gone to the store, claiming that they knew how to tie dye already. But when they came back and started to work it was very clear that neither of them knew how to do it properly. Haseul, who had great experience in tie dye from running tie dye events for student counsel, quickly ran over to help them out, not even finishing the one she was working on. 

Once Yeojin and Yerim finally succeeded in making theirs (without Yeojin spilling black splatters all over both of them), they started making a second one, when Haseul was interrupted with a tap on the shoulder. 

She turned around to see Vivi smiling at her sweetly, her hair fluttering in the wind. They had only been apart for fifteen minutes; Haseul had gone to the store while Vivi had stayed for instructions and then after Haseul had gotten too distracted to search for her, but Haseul quickly realized she had missed her. She only had half a moment to feel pathetic for that before Yerim and Yeojin were giggling behind her, and she kicked them a little bit. 

"Hi Haseul," Vivi said softly, and Haseul felt no longer like a human being and more like a puddle of goo. 

"H-Hey Vivi." Yeojin snorted behind her. 

"How's the tie dye going?" 

"You know, just helping out these ladies. They lied about knowing how to do it," Haseul explained. "You?"

"Pretty good!" Vivi cheered before holding her hands out to Haseul. "Actually, I....I made you this." In her hands was a plastic bag with a perfectly tied shirt inside, shades of pastel pinks and emerald greens visible. She didn't even have to unravel the shirt to know it was perfect. In that moment, Haseul just about died. 

"Th...thank you!" Haseul said, slowly taking the bag out of Vivi's hands and holding it to her chest. She just stared in silence at Vivi; she wasn't sure what else to say. 

"Vivi! Help me!" Hyunjin whined loudly, and Vivi chuckled. 

"I guess I gotta go. I'll be back in a few," Vivi answered before running back over to Hyunjin. 

Haseul turned around to see Yeojin and Yerim staring at her slack jawed. 

"What?" Haseul whined. 

"She really does like you..." Yeojin mumbled. 

"No way..." Haseul answered. "She's just a good friend." 

"Shut the up and start thinking what colors to use on hers," Yeojin answered. 

"What?" 

"You've got to make her one!" Yerim whined. 

"But...but it's not gonna be good!" Haseul whined as Yerim got her another shirt from Chaeyoung. 

"You literally helped us with ours," Yeojin deadpanned. 

"I can do them decently! But not well enough to give as a romantic gift!" 

"Are you going to do a spiral or another shape?" Yerim asked as her and Yeojin looked up at Haseul expectantly. 

Haseul sighed. "Fine. I'll make one for her. But if this ruins everything I'm blaming you two!" She whined, starting to tie up the shirt into a pattern. 

Soon enough it was finished, spots of purple and green and light blue on a pink background, sitting in the plastic bag. Yeojin and Yerim gave Haseul a little shove towards Vivi and she stumbled over, tripping on the grass. 

Haseul caught herself but Vivi saw it and giggled. "Hi Haseul." 

"H-Hey," Haseul answered, clearing before handing Vivi the bag. "I made you one too," she breathed out. 

Vivi immediately smiled and took the bag in her hands. "Oh Seul, you didn't have to." 

Haseul stumbled over the nickname. "Eh, i-it's not very good anyways..." 

"I'm sure that's not true," Vivi gently answered. "Didn't Yeojin say you do this all the time at school?" 

"It's still not good... I'm just not very good at stuff..." 

"Haseul don't say that. You're...you're good at so much stuff," Vivi said, more serious than Haseul had heard her before she shyly looked to the ground. Haseul looked around awkwardly too, her cheeks flaming. How could she have done this again? Well, one thing was good at was making the mood awkward. 

She needed to give herself and Vivi an out (it wasn't her fault she'd misinterpreted her words to be romantic, again). "Oh, Yeojin and Yerim must be waiting for me. Bye!" 

Quickly she ran off, and she didn't even notice Vivi's disappointed sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Jiwoo baby, come on, let's go," Sooyoung whined. Her and Jiwoo stood at the corner of the art shack, white t-shirts in hand. "Tie dye isn't even that cute." Sooyoung did not think tie dye was a fun morning activity, in fact, she kind of thought it was for little kids. 

"What will we do instead?" Jiwoo asked with a pout. 

Sooyoung smiled and leaned down to whisper in her ear. "Make out in the cabin." 

Jiwoo immediately perked up at that and nodded, the two girls sharing a conspiratory smile before slowly treading down the path. They knew if they got caught they would get in trouble with the other girls; they had been ditching them a lot recently to go make out at the cabin and they knew they all missed Sooyoung and Jiwoo. 

They were almost far enough away from the art shack for nobody to notice, sharing a smile before a loud voice had them deflating. 

"Hey! Get your asses back here!" They heard Yeojin shout. Suddenly, Yeojin and Yerim were tugging them back to the picnic tables. 

"Don't be lame," Yerim whined. 

"Sorry," Jiwoo said sheepishly. 

"You guys !" Sooyoung whined, patting Yeojin off of her back to stop her from pulling her shirt. To her side, Jiwoo was just letting Yerim drag her while laughing loudly. 

"You all are gonna be so grateful when you have romantic tie dye shirts to save these memories when you're old," Yeojin said. Sooyoung pouted and Jiwoo shrugged. 

"You guys are right, this might be fun. Right baby?" 

"Right," Sooyoung deadpanned. 

Jiwoo skipped over to the rubber bands and started tying her shirt up, looking around at everyone elses before frowning. Everyone else was on their second or third tie dye, and they had all kind of gotten good. 

"I want mine to be good," she mumbled to Sooyoung, staring down at the shirt and rubber bands, wearing her cute concentration face. 

"It'll be good no matter what. It's tie dye," Sooyoung answered. 

"But I want it too be really good!" She whined. Sooyoung sighed, watching her little furrowed brows as she moved over to the dye. Sooyoung wrapped her arms around Jiwoo's waist and Jiwoo looked up at her. 

"You should make one!" 

"No way," Sooyoung spoke. 

"Come on! It'll be fun and you can save it. For the memories" 

Sooyoung sighed and smiled. "Fine," she answered. Honestly she still didn't feel like it, but she would do anything for Jiwoo. 

She grabbed the shirt and tied it up randomly, Jiwoo laughing at her from the side as she colored her own with all of the different shades available to them. Sooyoung just reached for the dark red and poured it over pretty randomly, eliciting a giggle from her girlfriend. And Sooyoung had to laugh too; this was actually pretty fun. 

"Finished!" Jiwoo cried excitedly, lifting up the dripping, tied up shirt before putting in the plastic bag next to everyone else's.

"It looks great," Sooyoung answered, putting the finishing touches on her own before putting it next to Jiwoo's. 

"I told you guys!" Yeojin whined, tying up a blanket with the rubber bands. 

Sooyoung chuckled. "I guess you were right." 

"Of course I was! I always am," Yeojin answered, Yerim giggling behind her. 

Jiwoo tapped her girlfriend on the shoulder and smiled. "Wanna make another?" 

Sooyoung grinned back. "Of course."