The Ledge

The Girls of Summer

"What should we do today?" Jiwoo asked excitedly. The twelve girls were at breakfast and today, no staff members were offering things to do, so they had to come up with stuff on their own. 

"Maybe the pool?" Yerim mumbled, but Jinsoul shushed her. 

"But where else is there?" Sooyoung asked. 

"I mean, we don't really know anything about camp..." Vivi trailed off. 

"We could go exploring!" Haseul cried. "See what there is to do around camp. After all, if we're going to be here a month we'll need more stuff to do. We're already bored and it's only the fourth day." 

"I like that idea," Vivi said softly, and Chaewon laughed at the weird expression Haseul made. The other girls agreed, and they all cleared their plates to go. 

Once they were all dressed for the day they began their exploration of camp. They found all the different cabins and their bathrooms, the dining hall, and the pool, all of the places they had already been to. But they also discovered the massive beautiful meadow dotted with daisies in between the kiddie cabins, the art shack where counselors were helping their young campers with crafts, the store where they could buy snacks and other essential goods (Yeojin bought twenty dollars worth of candy and Sooyoung bought tampons), the counselor's cabins where Hyejoo swore she saw a bottle of vodka on the windowsill, the lone cabin hidden between the trees that the girls were way too afraid to get close to, and the trails leading off far into the distance. They were still out exploring when lunch was called but afterwards, they continued their search. 

"What's that up there?" Yerim said softly, pointing over to a big pile of rocks on the other side of a small stream. 

Heejin shrugged. "Let's find out," she said, the girls crossing the little bridge to the rocks. Heejin and Hyunjin started climbing up them without worry, and paused for a long time. Slowly, they turned back to the other girls with a big grin. 

"It's beautiful up here! You've gotta come," Hyunjin said. 

"It's not that hard to climb, we promise," Heejin added. Some of the girls looked hesitant but Jungeun and Jinsoul followed after them, and slowly, everyone made it up. 

Heejin and Hyunjin were right. The view was beautiful; they could see the tops of the trees of the entire outskirts of camp and the tall, snow capped mountains. There were lots of places for the girls to sit comfortably. 

"It's a ledge," Yeojin said. 

"A nice ledge," Yerim added. 

"It's so romantic..." Jiwoo mumbled

"Let's stay here for a minute," Vivi said, and Haseul grinned at that. So the girls sat down and talked on that beautiful ledge in the warm afternoon air. 

~~~~~~~~~~

"Sooyoungie! I found some service!" Jiwoo cried, sitting a little away from the rest of the girls and peering down at her phone. Immediately Sooyoung rushed over, whipping out her own iphone to check her tik tok account. It wasn't often that camp had any cell service, so any time they got some was a treat. And it was important too; Sooyoung and Jiwoo didn't want to lose their tik tok clout while at camp. 

"Look!"Jiwoo cried excitedly. "Look how many views the one we made in the dining hall on the first day has! It's more than a lot of my older videos." Sooyoung peered over shoulder to rewatch the video, one of them surprising their followers with the fact that they met. 

"We should make another; it'll be good for both of our brands," Sooyoung suggested. 

"Yeah! What should we do?" Jiwoo cheered in her happy voice. 

"How about the renegade? I know you know the dance already; I saw your video." 

"You really watched my videos?" 

"Duh, weren't we following each other before?" 

Jiwoo smiled and tilted her head. "That's true. It's just nice to hear." 

They locked eyes for a few moments before Sooyoung cleared . "Um, anyways, renegade? Or is that already over done..." 

"I don't know a lot of the more recent dances so let's do it," Jiwoo answered, giving a firm nod and holding her fists steady. Sooyoung giggled; how could Jiwoo possibly be so cute? She was somehow even cuter in real life than she seemed on her tiktok. 

"Hey Jungeun?" Jiwoo called. Jungeun gave her a dirty look but ran over to her. 

"What." 

"Could you take a video of us for tik tok?" Jiwoo asked, making puppy dog eyes. 

Jungeun rolled her eyes. "Fine. Tell me where to stand." 

After fifteen minutes of positioning the camera location and angle, they were finally ready to take the video. Standing in front of the trees, the semi semi famous teen girls did the dance perfectly. As soon as it was done, Jungeun stood up and made a face. 

"Really? The renegade?" 

"What, did we not do a good job?" Sooyoung responded as Jungeun handed her back her phone. 

"No, you guys made it look as good as possible, but..." Jungeun didn't receive an answer as Sooyoung and Jiwoo were absorbed in watching the video. 

"Is the lighting good?" Jiwoo asked. 

"Yeah, I like it. The trees in the back add a nice touch." 

They both looked up. "Thanks Jungeun!" They cheered, but she was already sitting next to Jinsoul again. 

"Should I post it?" Sooyoung asked. Jiwoo grinned and nodded, and they posted it before immediately locking it. "I can't look at it for five minutes after I post; it makes me too nervous. I'm always worried whether it's gonna flop or not." 

Jiwoo gasped as the girls sat back down on the rocks. "Same!" 

The girls nervously sat down, huddling close together in silence. Despite her nerves, Sooyoung smiled to herself. Some people might think her worries were petty so it was nice to know Jiwoo just got her. 

"Okay I think it's been five minutes," Jiwoo said quickly even though it had definitely not been five minutes. 

"Same," Sooyoung answered, opening her phone and pulling up tik tok. The girls breathed a simoultaneous sigh of relief; they were getting more engagement than usual and it had definitely not flopped. 

"Check the comments check the comments!" Sooyoung opened them and as they read, the pair slowly smiled. Some of the comments complimented the girl's fresh faced appearances (as they had stopped wearing makeup after the first day of camp), others complimented their dancing, and others complimented the beautiful view. But, most actually had to do with shipping the two. 

You two make such a cute couple! One said, Sooyoung reading them in her head. 

im calling them chuuves

#chuuves

WORLDS CUTEST TIK TOK LESBIANS!!! 

Sooyoung looked up at Jiwoo and slowly, she smiled back. You know what? Sooyoung could see it. 

~~~~~~~~~~

They had been sitting all together at the ledge for a while (except for Sooyoung and Jiwoo who snuck off to make their tik tok) when Jinsoul tugged on Jungeun's sleeve. Jungeun looked up at the cheerleader expectantly. 

"Come with me?" She said quietly, and who was Jungeun to tell her no? Jungeun nodded and Jinsoul returned it with that perfect, perfect grin, and she led her friend up the ledge. 

"What's up?" Jungeun asked when Jinsoul finally sat down, almost at the very top of the ledge. 

"It's almost sunset. I wanted to see it," she spoke, and Jungeun sat down next to her. Jinsoul was right, the sun had begun to set and from here they had the perfect view: the sun coming down over the tops of the tall trees, framed by the mountains on either side. Jungeun and Jinsoul shared a silent smile; in that moment, everything was perfect. 

They watched in silence but slowly, Jinsoul her head rest on Jungeun's forehead. Jungeun smiled to herself and in a moment of courage, she let her arm wrap around Jinsoul's slight shoulders. 

"You know, this kinda feels like a movie..." Jinsoul spoke very quietly. 

"What does?" 

"This moment. Right here, right now. And everything too." 

Jungeun thought for a moment before answering. "I agree." 

"You know...everything about it. The pretty summer camp, the people here... like that sort of rag tag bunch of misfits that somehow all go together...and me and you. Like the jock and the cheerleader." 

Jungeun immediately felt her face and the tips of her ears burst into flames, unable to stop a shy smile from blooming on her face. Jinsoul was sweet, too sweet, and Jungeun thought she knew exactly what Jinsoul meant by that. Jungeun shyly hid her face in the crook of Jinsoul's neck and Jinsoul giggled at her. 

"What, did that make you shy?" Jungeun just nodded, still hiding her face, and Jinsoul burst into more giggles. 

"Agh," Jungeun said eventually, sitting up when she regained her composure, still unable to look Jinsoul in the eye. "I just had to ruin that moment, didn't I?" 

"I don't think so," Jinsoul answered, nestling herself deeper into Jungeun's shoulder. "I think you made it better."