Hyejoo&Chaewon

The Girls of Summer

No matter how hard she tried, Chaewon could not stop thinking about Hyejoo's truth answer from the night before. 

She wanted to put it out of her mind, she really did. But how could Chaewon not fester on and obsess over who Hyejoo liked? She didn't sleep all that well and she was even quieter than usual in the day, her mind occupied with wondering

It was just weird and hurtful in different ways than the obvious. Of course Chaewon wanted Hyejoo to herself and didn't like the idea of her having a different crush. But Chaewon had figured that was the case a while ago. Chaewon had guessed Hyejoo didn't like her back for ages and as much as it hurt, it wasn't the main reason for her pain. 

But, she thought Hyejoo was her best friend. Not just her best friend at camp but her best friend in the whole world, and she thought Hyejoo felt the same way about her even if she didn't romantically like her. They had even discussed it a while ago, more than a week before when they were all hanging out at the beach. Chaewon thought best friends told each other all of their secrets, their deepest darkest thoughts and fears, who they liked and disliked, everything. The only reason Chaewon hadn't told Hyejoo her crush was because Hyejoo was her crush. So why hadn't Hyejoo told Chaewon who she liked? 

It was bad; really bad. Hyejoo had noticed her quiet, contemplative mood as soon as they had woken up. Even the other girls had become worried, asking whether or not Chaewon was okay. All she could do was give simple one word answers that she hoped would make them leave her alone. But she noticed that they would go and whisper to Hyejoo as soon as they were done talking to her, probably asking what was wrong. In any other situation, Hyejoo would know exactly what was bothering her. But this time Chaewon really didn't want Hyejoo to know. 

Now, Chaewon was never a confrontational kind of person but this was eating her practically alive. So when all of the other girls were heading back to the cabins after lunch Chaewon pulled Hyejoo aside. 

"C-Can I ask you something? In private?" Chaewon asked shyly. 

Hyejoo's already sullen expression became even more worried. "Of course," she said lowly. "Ledge?" She suggested, and Chaewon nodded in agreement. 

Silently the two girls made their way up to the top of the rocks, the fresh breeze and the view helping Chaewon's nerves just a little bit. What if Hyejoo really didn't want to share and this conversation made her uncomfortable? What if Hyejoo did share who her crush was and Chaewon's heart broke beyond repair? 

"What's going on? You've been...weird today," Hyejoo spoke, not out of anger or malice but out of concern. Chaewon sighed; she had really not meant to upset Hyejoo in her own hurt. 

"U-um..." she started, "So...yesterday." Chaewon noticed a flash in Hyejoo's eyes but otherwise her expression did not change. "During truth or dare you said you liked someone but you wouldn't say who." Hyejoo sharply looked away. "Y-you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, really, I promise! But...I thought we were best friends, and best friends usually tell their best friends who they like...maybe you just didn't say yesterday because we were around everyone, but I thought you would have told me as soon as you realized you liked someone..." 

Hyejoo sighed deeply, still not able to look Chaewon in the eye. Chaewon curled up into a ball, shaking a little, just waiting for Hyejoo to say something to her. 

"I don't know if I should tell you..." Hyejoo finally mumbled. 

A flash of anxiety went through Chaewon and she sat up. "Why? I promise I won't judge you." 

This just made new fear bubble up in Chaewon. Did Hyejoo know Chaewon liked her? Was that why she wouldn't share, because Hyejoo knew she would break Chaewon's heart? 

Hyejoo sighed, again. "It's not what you think," she answered. 

Chaewon paused. "Is it one of the counselors? One of our friends that already has a girlfriend?" 

"Chaewon, do you promise you won't hate me if I tell you?" 

Chaewon could hear and feel her heart thumping in her chest, and she wondered if Hyejoo could hear it too. 

"I don't think I could ever hate you," Chaewon answered. 

"You don't understand," Hyejoo said. "You might." 

"No. No I won't," Chaewon said, very firmly, and Hyejoo sighed. 

"It's you, Chaewon. I like you." 

And for a moment there, Chaewon's heart stopped. 

"Chaewon, I-I'm so sorry, I liked you since we first met and I tried to make it go away but I couldn't, you're just so perfect and wonderful and you're my favorite person I've ever met, I hope we can still be friends, please-" 

"I like you too." 

Hyejoo looked up in shock at Chaewon's softly smiling face. "What?" 

"I like you too!" 

Hyejoo just stared back at Chaewon, surprised into silence. "Oh," she finally answered. 

Chaewon just giggled and the girls looked at each other. 

"Um..." 

"How long have you liked me for?" 

"I-I thought you were pretty since camp started," Chaewon shyly admitted. "And as soon as I got to know you I liked you. I...I really didn't think I had a chance." 

"Me neither," Hyejoo answered, slowly beginning to smile back. "You're just so cute." 

Chaewon blushed and looked down at her lap. "You think so?" 

Hyejoo laughed. "Yes!" Then, she laughed harder. "Looking back on it...I guess it was a bit obvious." 

"What do you mean?" Chaewon asked. 

"I mean, we would always say such nice things to each other.... and only spend time with each other.... and kiss all the time..." 

Chaewon giggled at that. "True, true." 

Hyejoo looked down at her lap and picked up Chaewon's smaller hand. "Your hands are shaking," she commented. 

"Yours too," Chaewon answered. 

Hyejoo and Chaewon let out another awkward laugh. "I just...I just don't really know what happens now," Hyejoo admitted. 

Chaewon laughed back. "Me too." 

"Um...are you my girlfriend now? I know we only have a few days left of camp but I think that's how it works..." Hyejoo mumbled. 

"Shh!" Chaewon said, pressing her finger to Hyejoo's triangle lips and leaning closer. "Don't talk about that."

Just then, both girls noticed how close they had gotten. 

"Um..." 

"Don't leave," Hyejoo answered, putting her hands on Chaewon's lap. "Don't move further away." Her voice was barely above a whisper and Chaewon could only hear her because she was just so close. And finally, Chaewon realized what she meant. 

Suddenly, Hyejoo's lips were on hers. Chaewon felt it through her whole body, all her nerve endings singing as soft lips slid against her own. She felt as if she would explode with feeling, her mind filled with warmth and all of the best emotions. All she wanted was this feeling forever. 

She quickly realized that she should be kissing Hyejoo back instead of just sitting there so she moved her lips back. Hyejoo tangled her fingers into Chaewon's soft blonde hair, tilting her head more. Chaewon finally exhaled, all of the nervous energy she had been holding in released. Hyejoo's kissing was gentle and chaste and Chaewon liked it that way, liked how gently Hyejoo was treating her, how careful and cautious she was. 

They pulled away at the same time and all they could do was just look at each other for a moment.

"Wow," Hyejoo mumbled. 

"It's better once you've confessed," Chaewon spoke, both girls still in a bit of a daze. Chaewon shook her head suddenly and cleared . "Anyways...I don't know if that's how it works or not, about the whole girlfriend thing. But I wanna be your girlfriend." 

"Me too," Hyejoo said, slowly tucking some of Chaewon's hair behind her ear before cupping her cheek. 

"Hey guys!" Haseul's voice carried over the rocks, and Hyejoo and Chaewon turned to see all of their friends coming up over to meet them. 

"We were looking for you," Jinsoul added. 

"Oh," Hyejoo and Chaewon shared a giggle and Hyejoo dropped her hand. 

"What are you guys doing here?" Sooyoung asked. 

"Oh," They said again. "Um...we just confessed to each other?" Chaewon shyly admitted, her voice going up about three octaves. 

"Wait...you two haven't already?" Jungeun asked. 

"Um, no," Hyejoo sheepishly admitted. 

"So...you're telling me that you two had no idea you liked each other?" Yeojin asked, shock in her voice. 

"We had no idea," Chaewon answered, the two giggling at each other. "I wanted to ask her who she was saying she liked yesterday during truth or dare." 

"I almost chickened out of telling her now," Hyejoo admitted. Everyone began to laugh at the brand new couple and Hyejoo and Chaewon scooted closer together in embarrassment. 

"Good thing you guys finally did tell each other," Yeojin spoke. "I mean camp's almost-" 

Hyejoo and Chaewon loudly shushed the girl simoultaneously. "Shh!"